• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Apr 19, 2014] No Johns Monthly! April 19th!! Project M ! (Nanuet, NY)

Alukard

Smash Hero
i really dont care i would love for just doubles to be taken seriously ... because if u notice mango lucky go to huge events go positive from winning and just can do w.e they want ... because there are about 10-12 teams out of all of melee that care about it and actually try towards de-throwning them ...

either way ... just vote if u plan on coming so i can host according to majority ... i really dont care about the price ... i just care about people trying and entering so i can practice as much as i can because people tend to sandbag at smashfests or just dont have the same drive as a tourney...

Ben-Teezee

Smash Apprentice
the main reason i want it to be more is so ppl try harder.

Doubles used to actually matter, it wasnt just a side event. because its harder to follow newer players dont get hype off it from watching it, and that causes them to lose interest.

Ppl enter doubles as a way to kill time till singles starts, wtf is that? you should be entering tournaments to get better not to pass time. Even if its a local tourney where u dont get OoS experience, you still get experience, or is playing Hax, Jman, Vanz, Eggm ppl that place Top TEN in nationals not good enough experience for ya?

Honestly its 5 dollars and while i dont think anyone values doubles more than singles (except maybe DJ), I think there sure are a bunch of u that throw away ur money regardless cuz u dont even try since its only 5. Im paying for THREE ppl and i still want it to be 10, because it will be that much more rewarding if i can win.

Seriously if u whine about 5 dollars in teams cuz ur not gonna auto win why do u pay 10 for singles? ur logic is flawed from the start unless u think u have a better chance of beating jman/hax seperately than together.

Swift while i see what ur saying about the 5ea, the way it works i think is (insert top player here) wont show up if they dont actually have a chance at winning anything, they dont get better by coming to locals and beating up newer players, the NEWER players get better cuz they show up, if i had to pay an extra 5 bucks to get hax/jesus/vanz/eggm to show up i gladly would cuz im coming to get better, honestly with the lack of attendance over the past couple of months to ANY local, lowering the price would just be the nail in the coffin.

Maybe having the mentality of playing for money may be initially flawed from the start, but playing to get better/win, and winning= money, why stop at half the equation? all of you that have been attending these locals for so long now, why does hax still auto-win in ur mind? alukard is right i dont see the thrive in ya at all, u should be playing to knock them off and be the best, and dont give me that **** that u dont have time to play cuz i guarantee u most of them dont even pick up the controller in between tournaments except for the occasional fest b4 big tourneys.

Fest at my crib tomorrow is still on btw for any who are interested its in brooklyn NY hit me up on aim LtzBen if u wanna stop by.

so far i think its brian/dj/nando/d1/g$/alu??/vanz(if he gets a ride alu hit up G)/cris/ hailey?? i got room for a maybe 1 or 2 more especially since theres a lot of maybes there lolol

UltimaScout

Smash Lord
Honestly its 5 dollars and while i dont think anyone values doubles more than singles (except maybe DJ)
Not that anybody listens when I talk but...

I really do like doubles a lot more than singles. It's more strategy based and less APM and frame perfection. There is always the possibility of getting hit from somewhere else. I excel a LOT more in doubles than in singles... here's the reason I wouldn't want to push more money into it...

How do you find the other person? Especially at locals, when 3/4 of the people have never played with their teammate before, do you really think they can consider "dethroning" mango and lucky? I don't even live near anybody to hope of getting any practice with them.

Locals are for just that, practice and trying to find a good teammate and prepping yourself for those regionals and nationals. I whole-heartedly support less $ for teams, but at the same time pushing the price either way could result in the loss of entrants.

S l o X

Smash Champion
yea i could honestly careless. i'm better at doubles than singles and i don't ever sandbag in tourney (singles and doubles alike). putting an extra 5$ (10$ 5$ 1$ doubles) into someones pockets won't make me try harder because i always go all out. why would you sand bag in doubles when you got a ***** on your team trying to win? lol thats selfish.

- marthmaster8899

Ben-Teezee

Smash Apprentice
the lack of a consistant team partner or the ideaology that theyll never beat (insert player/s here) makes ppl not try as hard if u ask me) sure u may go all out against teams u think u have a chance of beating, but most ppl dont attribute teams losses as something thats their fault or something to learn from, they just go w/e its teams who cares, or we werent gonna beat them anyways since we never teamed b4, or insert dumb excuses here. maybe ur guys mentality is different and if so i take it back (since i havent been to a local since progs LI tourney) but i dont even see ppl TRYING to practice teams at tourneys, unless they just wanna get on a tv to play so they agree to teams.

ps. i used to think ppl always tried their hardest but ive teamed wit randoms b4 at locals and even at majors only to be met with this idgaf attitude (one guy even told me he rather watch mango play than warm up for our teams matches((i had NEVER teamed wit him b4)). even ppl taht actually care feel other things might be more important? (like d1 ditching me to TO pound4 then having the nerve to blame me for our losses hehehehehe ;P) LOLOLOL idk im just venting at this point but im not convinced that ppl care/tryhard in teams. ppl dont even look for consistent team partners anymore that used to be like so important back in the day

UltimaScout

Smash Lord
the lack of a consistant team partner or the ideaology that theyll never beat (insert player/s here) makes ppl not try as hard if u ask me) sure u may go all out against teams u think u have a chance of beating, but most ppl dont attribute teams losses as something thats their fault or something to learn from, they just go w/e its teams who cares, or we werent gonna beat them anyways since we never teamed b4, or insert dumb excuses here. maybe ur guys mentality is different and if so i take it back (since i havent been to a local since progs LI tourney) but i dont even see ppl TRYING to practice teams at tourneys, unless they just wanna get on a tv to play so they agree to teams.

ps. i used to think ppl always tried their hardest but ive teamed wit randoms b4 at locals and even at majors only to be met with this idgaf attitude (one guy even told me he rather watch mango play than warm up for our teams matches((i had NEVER teamed wit him b4)). even ppl taht actually care feel other things might be more important? (like d1 ditching me to TO pound4 then having the nerve to blame me for our losses hehehehehe ;P) LOLOLOL idk im just venting at this point but im not convinced that ppl care/tryhard in teams. ppl dont even look for consistent team partners anymore that used to be like so important back in the day
If you earnestly believe you can make up for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts... there's no limit to what you can't do. ~ You can sig me on that

PK Webb

Smash Champion

real effin talk son i cant find a consistent partner for jack. i rilly would enjoy having one sum1 at the same skill level as me would be nice but like u say no1 cares =/. or ppl dont show up enuff for us to be permanent partners =(. i just recently dropped the whole he has a bigger name than me i lose mentality i go HARD now a days:glare:

Ben-Teezee

Smash Apprentice
actually good players are constantly looking for consistent partners that they dont have to carry, or that fit their style twebb. i see great teams drop one side or the other all the time, so if u can challenge urself to get better at TEAMS as well as singles (ask anyone teams is a TOTALLY different animal) then u might just get to team with one of those pro players. :D vanz teams wit random ppl all the time, get up there and impress him ;)

Cia

das kwl
lol. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be in Ohio this weekend.

I read Benny's post and it really makes sense. But I'm honestly one of those people who enters doubles just to kill time.. lol. I hate having to rely on teammates (in fighters) I like knowing that I can mentally **** my opponent with no interruption. Not hope I can make this punish and my partner will guard me. Because that usually won't happen -_-

When I want to play Teams, I play LoL.

:teemo:

PK Webb

Smash Champion
jona we shud considering being permanent teams =) i see u at alot of no johns lets work on this shall we cuz sol is mad cool but he flakes too often =/ hope he makes this 1

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
im down

im trying to get alot better in general so

if im stepping it up and ur not ima be tight tho lol

but yea definitely down

PK Webb

Smash Champion
aight alu/g$ teams training????? and ***** u fake i always step up wanna no y cuz i struggle and u dont and what real ***** dont struggle

Rykard

Smash Ace
i'd team with you twebb but i have college johns so i'd never be there for you unless i'm on break. though nintendude and i see each other every week at college and we don't team lol.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
rich ur too silly. u wud be the best partner if u were here but maybe in 3 years when im top in ny we can team and ill carry lmao

Alukard

Smash Hero
super pumped for this ... we played at otg's earlier and i'm playing pretty dam nice (when i'm warmed up... johns)

so anyway i can't wait for benny's fest tomorrow i hope G$ feels better because i wont go without the ride home ... cuz i probably wont make it back alive lmao ... but seriously i'm super hyped for this and to **** everyone in friendlies (might not enter singles so i can run the event ...) it always takes long when i enter ...

also about the prices ... i will do w.e u guys want at the venue ... thats that ... i dont care i'm here to host for you guys ... so majority rules at the event ok!

also benny i agree with everything u said ... even the rants ... its like stupid we are even further building the "best players" infinite wall of defense ... JOHNING FOR HIM! ... "o he was drunk" ... " he didn't pick puff" ... "his fox isn't that good" yada yada ... u play ... u win or lose man the **** up !

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Swift while i see what ur saying about the 5ea, the way it works i think is (insert top player here) wont show up if they dont actually have a chance at winning anything, they dont get better by coming to locals and beating up newer players, the NEWER players get better cuz they show up, if i had to pay an extra 5 bucks to get hax/jesus/vanz/eggm to show up i gladly would cuz im coming to get better, honestly with the lack of attendance over the past couple of months to ANY local, lowering the price would just be the nail in the coffin.
I dun buy this. I do not think that the "top" guys deserve to be on such a Pedestal.

On the contrary what if none of the "top" guys showed, we got a decent turnout and someone like nando won? I like to think that it would do two things:

-make a "top" player want to show cuz they know they wouldve won the tourney and had an easy net gain.
-inspire up and coming guys to play and do well. yeah conceptually nando didnt beat any of the "TOP" but he did manage to win a tourney and have a GF experience. some players have NEVER played a GF or had any real shot at making a net gain.

the example you brought up has some ambiguity. The "top" guys in your example appear to play a more passive role.

Ben-Teezee

Smash Apprentice
fest starting around 5, im going to bed now if u somehow have to show up earlier, text me i rather not wake up. its an all night fest so dont worry im not kicking anyone out into the snow lol :D

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
^ YES PLZ :o

@Benny, I'm not (and Haley) going to make it to your fest today =[ went to a concert last night and I am sooo tired (and at work) I just wanna crash when I get home plus the snow sucks.

@Oorah, I was just going to take the train since it's really easy for me to take and close to my house. But for the way home I could use a lift back home. Haley isn't going though since he's seeing his cousins. If there's a fest next week though we could figure it out.

Ben-Teezee

Smash Apprentice
fest is canceled teezy snow is not letting me get to my brooklyn crib, sry for whoever was planning on coming.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
i beat kage =P
In your dream world maybe.

oh damn i dont know if i'm ready to be in the presence of the warrior
Of course you are, everyone is ready always. =P

hes like the pedo bear

at first your like oh crap ima get *****

but then you realize hes just a normal teddy bear
Ok, let's see just how normal I am. =)

Well well well... you know what's coming.
I think everyone knows what's coming. =P

Oorah-Kabra

Smash Journeyman
Grills, I SAY WE DO BOTH DAYS BACK TO BACK OOOOOHHH SNAP!

Kidding. Either of those two days is fine by me man. Just let me know. I have work during the week but I'd show up around 6:15-ish either day.

Top Bottom