• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Apr 4, 2015] SWEET XX: A Super Smash Bros. Melee Tournament feat. Westballz! (East Lansing, MI)

fZk

Smash Lord
G-Sword, PM me if you're serious about TOing Smash 64 at this so we can discuss more.
Rob, in case G-sword (Josh) agrees to TO 64, since he's not well know, I can vouch for him as being a responsible guy. We've been playing together in EL for a while now and have nothing but positive things to say. I know you take pride as a host and don't want t repeat of last time.

G-Sword

Smash Journeyman
Rob, in case G-sword (Josh) agrees to TO 64, since he's not well know, I can vouch for him as being a responsible guy. We've been playing together in EL for a while now and have nothing but positive things to say. I know you take pride as a host and don't want t repeat of last time.
thx juan im getting emotional lol :cry: tears of joy

Roller

Smash Legend
Brawl players, which ruleset would you prefer? Apex or Vinnie's?

I am leaning towards Apex, but am open to giving Vinnie's a try if there is enough interest.

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Rob, you should set up a poll for the Brawl players on which stagelist to use. (between Japanese, Apex, or Vinnie's)

Brawl stagelists have always been a tough topic to decide on. People want Apex because it makes characters more balanced, and people want the Japanese/Vinnie's stagelist because they want the metagame to evolve emphasizing more on player vs player.

Roller

Smash Legend
I'm not using Japan's.

Nobody else uses it. You don't even use it, JTsm. You can't ban FD with their ruleset. You use a modified version of it. And not many other places will be using stage lists like that one. MI's tourneys should keep our players prepared for when they travel to other states to prove themselves vs other regions. Using rule sets that you likely won't see at other tourneys doesn't help the players learn how to contend with other regions who use other rules.

Or maybe I'm wrong, and Ohio's approach of not giving a damn about being able to compete with other regions is better. I'll let you guys decide.

JTsm

Smash Master
Vinnie's Ruleset: http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=147474

Yeah okay, because Japanese ruleset proves nothing to competitive play. It's such a detriment ruleset that it's impractical to practice from.
/sarcasm.

Just because a fellow IC main suggested a ruleset it doesn't mean you have to bash another.

I used it once, and people seem to be okay with it. I used Apex at my last tourney to see how things go. I plan on using it this summer.

Xatic

Smash Lord
Any of those 3 rulesets (stagelists) are fine by me. I don't mind either way. I'm always leaning more towards APEX; though, I wouldn't mind trying Vinnie's ruleset either.

EDIT: If I had to vote. I'd really like to try Vinnie's new ruleset since it seems to be an attempt at a "universal" ruleset.

As long as it isn't RAIN's ruleset, I'm cool with it rofl

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
Well, I'm a bad Yoshi, so I like bad rulesets :denzel:

But if it's only between Vinnie's and Apex, Vinnie's looks pretty good to me, so I guess my vote is for Vinnie's~

It's ok Kyle, I'm looking forward to SPAU3 <3

JTsm

Smash Master
Well if you're going to exclude JPN ruleset, Vinnie's is the best Alt.

Roller

Smash Legend
I didn't really "bash" the Japanese ruleset. I would LOVE it if the legit Japanese ruleset was the norm. It'd be fantastic for me, personally.

What I am bashing is the idea of using rulesets that aren't the norm for when we travel to other regions to prove our strength as players, and a state as a whole. Hosting tourneys where I get to CP FD every set is not going to prepare me for Genesis or Apex any better than ones where MKs get to CP Brinstar every set.

If we ever want to be respected as a top level state on a national scale, then we need to be competent playing the game with the rules the nation uses most frequently.

W.C.N

Smash Lord
Apex I definitely won't come to vonnies or jpns

But that's just me they aren't fun

:phone:

Roller

Smash Legend
You would condemn Vinnie's list to being "unfun" without having tried it...?

I see.

I feel like a lot of people are using suboptimal criteria for advancing the state's scene when making their decisions.

fZk

Smash Lord
It's funny that vinnies ruleset has fd as a counterpick. I still prefer it over apex due to lack of jank.

Honestly I would have all those 7 stages as neutral and strike to.determine the first match. So 7 starters, 0 counters.

Also I'm thinking of going to this so I need a partner. Do you have a partner loe1?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Rob, you should set up a poll for the Brawl players on which stagelist to use. (between Japanese, Apex, or Vinnie's)

Brawl stagelists have always been a tough topic to decide on. People want Apex because it makes characters more balanced, and people want the Japanese/Vinnie's stagelist because they want the metagame to evolve emphasizing more on player vs player.
I'm leaving that decision to Brian (Roller) who will be running the Brawl event. I'm not qualified to speak on the subject, since I haven't really played Brawl much since 2009, lol. It doesn't hurt to discuss things in this thread, though!

Zinoto

Smash Lord
I'm down to try Vinnie's stagelist if people wanna try that. Also, what are the events being run here? Also Also, BRING SET UPS!!!!

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
It'll be Melee, Brawl, Smash 64. Just updated the original post to reflect this. This will be the first SWEET tourney to feature all three games... looking forward to it!

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I think my head would explode if we had to manage four different events at this. Gonna stick to three for now, we'll see how it goes and re-evaluate for the next one.

W.C.N

Smash Lord
You would condemn Vinnie's list to being "unfun" without having tried it...?

I see.

I feel like a lot of people are using suboptimal criteria for advancing the state's scene when making their decisions.
I'm against the constantly shrinking stage lists, every time I like a stage that takes getting used to it goes away and I'm tired of it, Vinnies may be competitive and fun for some but less stages for me to choose from but certain stages I don't like are still on ill pass

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I should post in this since this is in 2 weeks.

1.) Hype!
2.) I'm down to test out Vinnie's stagelist/ruleset
3.) Rob what do you feel is the color scheme for this tournamnet series? I will be starting the layout work for this soon.
4.) I can bring 2 TVs, 1 Brawl Setup, and Power Strips/Extension Cords!

Luminoth64

Smash Ace
what's brawl attendance looking like for this? i'm going to be in detroit for a show on the 8th and might just stay at a hotel overnight to come to this.

Top Bottom