• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are the Nintendo White Controllers Good for playing Fox

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
I just got one, works fine for me. They're just new. New controllers always require a certain acclimation/breaking in period.

Puca Readabook

Smash Apprentice
i think that the white ones are made a bit more ergonomically, so they're harder to break in.

and, imo, call for more precise L/R presses compared to some controllers...like silver ones...

D

Deleted member

depends how much the player likes to make excuses when the real problem is the player and not the controller.

Chab

Smash Cadet
i just bought myself a new white one . im in canada and i hope import duties arent too much . i play with an old silver one and i feel like im about to get ****ed over using this white one. but im determined. and if i start sucking at fox too much. i think i might just stick with my falcon haha.

Geranimo

Smash Cadet
I have some issues with my new white one, I have some recoil when I dash so when I dash laser I sometimes turnaround accidentally so I have to maintain my thumb on the joystick all the time to avoid that.

Zhea

Smash Ace
That's just a fresh stick. The white ones take a slight bit longer to work in. However your pivot jab/tilts will be TAS godlike until then.

Chab

Smash Cadet
just got my new white one today. love it after 15 minutes of just ****ing around on yoshis

BonaparteZ

Smash Rookie
From having ordered multiple white controllers at once, I can say they're not all the same. Even between several completely new ones, there are subtle differences, which I notice especially in the L/R triggers. Nothing that would affect your play though, I think. Just a matter of getting used to one and sticking with it. Differences between two used controllers are way larger of course.
As for how the sticks compare to older models, I have no idea. Never been able to compare them directly, but I doubt it'd be anything significant. It should be just a matter of getting used to a less worn out controller for you, and them being white or not is probably irrelevant.
I honestly think the main difference between the white ones and older models are longer cables, and that's all.

SRGE

Smash Rookie
The only problem I encountered was the triggers catching sometimes, I swapped out the metal pieces from the shoulder buttons from an older controller and put them in the white one. Other than that its really good!

wezai

Smash Journeyman
What are these white controllers you guys are talking about? Would anyone mind sharing a link to ebay or any store that would ship these internationally?

Last edited:

Chab

Smash Cadet
The only problem I encountered was the triggers catching sometimes, I swapped out the metal pieces from the shoulder buttons from an older controller and put them in the white one. Other than that its really good!
what do u mean by catch? like once u press them down to a certain point u can feel that u need to apply a bit more pressure. does that go away with time ?

SRGE

Smash Rookie
what do u mean by catch? like once u press them down to a certain point u can feel that u need to apply a bit more pressure. does that go away with time ?
Like if you press the trigger from a certain angle, down and in specifically, the plastic rubs together making it harder to press. It shouldn't matter if you only press straight in though. I think what you are talking about is just normal, and the more you play the more you will break in your spring/trigger point.

Chab

Smash Cadet
Like if you press the trigger from a certain angle, down and in specifically, the plastic rubs together making it harder to press. It shouldn't matter if you only press straight in though. I think what you are talking about is just normal, and the more you play the more you will break in your spring/trigger point.
alright thanks for the followup on the question. have a good day !

Berble

Smash Apprentice
I have one and its fine for Fox and fast inputs in general but just requires some breaking in like all other controllers.

Briefs

Smash Rookie
NNID
Briefs
Ordering one today, and figured I'd ask if there are any known complaints about the white controllers other than the shoulder buttons being a little annoying at times. Also, how long should it take to completely break in? like, a couple days?

Chab

Smash Cadet
Ordering one today, and figured I'd ask if there are any known complaints about the white controllers other than the shoulder buttons being a little annoying at times. Also, how long should it take to completely break in? like, a couple days?
Mew2king told me roughly 50 hours of gameplay and ur stick should be broken in enough. the triggers i couldnt get over how annoying they were so i just switched out the back with a silver half

MrMaples

Smash Rookie
I feel that some controllers have a less responsive stick. Some just take less effort to get that dash input. I recently got one of these controllers for back up. and hell it was better then my main controller. Maybe it's placebo, but something about the dash inputs feel right.

hashplant

Smash Rookie
I'm fairly certain there's a difference between white controllers and older controllers in L and R. There's some mechanism which the latter has that the former doesn't. I think it has to do with the spring. Maybe someone can elaborate.

You can play Fox with the white controller just fine. It just needs to be broken in. I had "controller issues" when I was starting out but it all just boiled down to me not being technically proficient enough to control Fox with confidence that I wouldn't mess up and SD. I don't know if that's the case for you, but it's something you should keep in mind.

Berble

Smash Apprentice
I'm fairly certain there's a difference between white controllers and older controllers in L and R. There's some mechanism which the latter has that the former doesn't. I think it has to do with the spring. Maybe someone can elaborate.

In my experience the newer white controllers have metal hinges on the triggers while the older ones don't. The metal hinges caused my triggers to jam sometimes and I've heard this happen to some other people too. When I removed the metal hinges from my triggers they stopped jamming. Again this is only in my experience so I'm not sure if the hinges directly cause triggers to jam or if they're only found in white controllers

Last edited:

Sfeet

Smash Rookie
The trigger jamming occurs occasionally to me as well on my white controller. Due to this I've just stuck to my classic black controller and leave the white one for friends hehe ;). Thanks for the information about being able to take out the springs.

Top Bottom