• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Are the Zelda Games Becoming More Combat Oriented?

finalark

SNORLAX
This is something I've noticed after a recently play through of Twilight Princess with a buddy of mine. Starting with Ocarina of Time, the series has been focused on ways to make combat more interesting. In OoT, Z-targeting was introduced as a way to make fighting work in 3D. On top of that, Link had many more moves at his disposal. Majora's Mask had the transformation masks, which provided a ton of new options in combat. Hell, most bosses required you to transform in order to fight them. Granted, the transformation masks had far more utility to them than just fighting.

Anyway, now we move onto the GCN era with Wind Waker, where parrying was introduced. In many ways it was a lot like a quick time even where, when you press A with the right timing, you could evade an enemy attack and deliver a counter attack. Although you could go throughout the entire game without using it once (save for when you're taking the tutorial at the beginning of the game) but it makes many fights easier. Next was Twilight Princess, which had a number of hidden techniques scattered throughout the game, all of which were focused entirely on fighting. Again, a few were necessary to finish the game but most made fights easier.

Finally, we come to Skyward Sword. Now, I might be wrong here, since my only experience with SS is watching a friend play through the last hour or so of the game. But from what I've seen, it looks like a lot of the game was built around ways to use motion controls in combat. I would add more, but again, I haven't gotten a chance to play the game myself yet.

Anyway, this isn't really a complaint as much as it is an observation. It's just some food for thought.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I think Zelda games have always been extremely combat oriented. There weren't as many combat options in the earlier games, but they were all about killing scores of bad guys, and discovering which weapons made it easier to do that.

In fact, I tend to think that the opposite is true; even while more moves and techniques have been added, combat has been de-emphasized as the overworld and dungeons have been depopulated of bad guys, and the focus has shifted to puzzle solving and fetch-questing.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
^^^ I think the whole title as a whole has been pretty well known for introducing fresh combat in every game.

However, I do agree on the shift to a more puzzle solving system. I don't really mind that as much as I used to. I really enjoy solving puzzles, especially when you have an awesome, unique boss battle to look forward to (which was IMO very much the case for SS.)

I think they have a lot of wiggle room though when it comes to Zelda Wii U so I'm really excited to see what they do with it.

Top Bottom