• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are there any disadvantages to using a Wavebird over a normal GC controller?

BananaX

Smash Apprentice
I'm asking in a purely technical sense -- for example, does the Wavebird have any lag caused by wireless issues, or is the rumble important enough to play with a normal controller for? I only ask because I have both controllers and as of now I see no immediate problems with the Wavebird.

Miller

Smash Lord
Its the same as a wireless mouse to a wired mouse, like a .05ms gap, even less then that, so no, there is no real disadvantage

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Its the same as a wireless mouse to a wired mouse, like a .05ms gap, even less then that, so no, there is no real disadvantage
The lag difference between a wired mouse and a typical wireless mouse is actually quite significant. Wireless mice typically have a slower transmission frequency to accommadate the amount of data that they're transferring, which adds some lag in comparison to a wired mouse. In addition, most wireless mice go into a power saving state to preserve batteries when they're not being used, which adds some more lag. Wired mice can refresh at up to a rate of 1000 hz, which is impractical for wireless mice.

Wavebirds suffer from none of these drawbacks, having to transmit very little data as well as not having a power saving state.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Depends, if you're going to go to some tournaments, play wired, Wavebirds get all screwy if you connect them after the game has started (In the gamecube at least) and someone else can be using your channel and crew you up).

J0K3R

Smash Journeyman
I got my channel changed by accident in the middle of a toruney. Wired GC ever since. lol.

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
I would think when the batteries get low your controller would do weird things, but i havent had a wavebird long so i dont know.

kazaken455

Smash Apprentice
Mine is a little screwy. My C-stick is kinda screwy. When I play online I seem to have a tad more lag then with a normal gc control. But that could be just me. And when the batteries get low you can tell DarkStraw because a lot of times it will stop and go on the control stick response and stuff. Oh well. I don't mind either way.

Top Bottom