• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are these realism mods even possible?

Gamernaut37

Smash Rookie
Hello, everybody. My dream is to commission certain realism mods into my copy of Smash Ultimate for Stamina Mode. I love SU for its diversity between realistic characters and cartoonish characters, but I want to restrain the game's cartoon logic for all characters in order to make the realistic characters fit the game better in my mind. "Cartoon logic" is my term to refer to actions such as Peach pulling a golf club out of nowhere that can only make sense in cartoons such as Tom and Jerry.

As another example, every character can double-jump. This is acceptable for characters such as Mario and Kirby, but it rubs me the wrong way to see characters such as Snake double-jump. And so I would like to remove it for all characters, since double-jumping pushes the cartoon logic too far in my mind, and the only way to properly balance the game is to remove double-jumping for everyone except characters such as Charizard. Obviously, characters such as Charizard, Pit and Kirby should be able to multi-jump due to the cartoon logic of their origins justifying their flight. I have even entertained the idea that characters such as Charizard and Ridley should have unlimited jumps due to being able to fly and because I only want to play Stamina Mode anyway.

In other words, I want the game to more closely resemble the cartoon logic of Street Fighter 4. Cody can pull a lead pipe out of nowhere or always throw rocks. Hugo can jump ridiculously high along with many other characters. But SF4 cartoon logic does not allow double-jumping or the many mechanics of SU that are meant to design the latter game to be palatable to a wider audience. In a way, if double-jumping is meant to make movement more free in SU, why not give the characters 3 jumps or 10 jumps?

I will provide a quick list of changes I hope can be modded into the game and then provide a more in-depth explanation for how I see things. Just to be clear, SU should exist exactly how it was originally designed and updated by Nintendo, and I am not at all arguing that it needs to undergo my changes for everyone. In my opinion, everyone should be able to play SU exactly how they want to, and I hope that these following mods can be eventually incorporated into my game if I can confirm they are possible to commission in the future.

Quick List:
  • Remove directional air-dodging.
  • Remove all landing lag from Up-B attacks.
  • Make all falling as fast as fast-falling.
  • Remove double-jumping & multi-jumping for almost all characters.
  • Remove intangibility for most situations.
  • Only allow the front half of the shield able to block attacks.
  • Allow players to instantly change the direction a character is facing while shielding by moving the control stick.
  • Change shields to not deplete over time without being damaged.
  • Remove shield jumps from the shield breaking.
  • Change parrying to only work on attacks that qualify as shielded attacks from the front.
  • Overhaul the shield's visual design.

1. Remove directional air-dodging.

• Make air-dodging like air-dodging in Smash 4.
  • Characters should not be able to move in any direction they please at will.

2. Remove all landing lag from Up-B attacks.

• This is so that players will be encouraged to recover onto the stage rather than aim for the ledge to grab it.
  • In real life, people do not aim to grab the edge of a cliff or drop-off.
  • They instead try to land feet-first on the surface if possible.
  • Almost all Up-B attacks have a ridiculous amount of lagging lag.
  • Therefore, the landing lag will be removed for all characters.
  • The universal removal of landing lag will hopefully compensate for any balancing issues that might occur.

3. Make all falling as fast as the individual character's fast-fall.

• People cannot choose to start accelerating while falling in real life.
  • This only makes sense when skydivers go into a nosedive or splay themselves to catch air.
  • However, none of the characters are skydiving nor can they go into a nose dive while falling.
  • Accelerating during a fall IRL is not as immediate nor fast as normal fast-falling in Smash anyway.

4. Remove double-jumping and multi-jumping for almost all characters.

• Double-jumps are unrealistic in an obvious way that is meant to make character movement easier and more enjoyable for a wider audience.
  • Only consider allowing certain characters to have unlimited jumps such as Charizard, Mewtwo and Ridley.
  • The intent of all of these changes is to make a game that is realistic according to the canonical and cartoon logic of the characters.
  • Therefore, allowing certain characters to have unlimited jumps according to how they can canonically fly is appropriate and also more appropriate for Stamina mode.
  • Therefore, it will not be as problematic for certain characters to fly back onto the stage from the screen edge or under it in terms of balancing.
  • However, if allowing certain characters to have unlimited jumps is still problematic from a balancing perspective for Stamina mode, then unlimited jumps will be removed.

• Definitely only allow the following characters to retain their normal, multiple jumps:
  • Charizard, Yoshi, Mewtwo, Pit / Dark Pit, Banjo-Kazooie, Meta Knight, Ridley, Jigglypuff, Kirby, King Dedede
  • Somehow allow Peach and Daisy to retain their midair float that can normally be activated at any point during their first or second jumps.
  • Sephiroth's additional, third jump during his winged form will probably just be a second jump that is only possible during the winged form.

5. Remove intangibility for most situations.

• Intangibility has no origin in true cartoon logic.
  • Remove intangibility while hanging on the ledge.
  • Remove intangibility while prone.
  • Remove intangibility from crawling up onto the ledge from a ledge-grab.
  • Remove intangibility from shield jumps caused by breaking the shield.
  • Only allow intangibility for everything else that makes sense such as rolling or for certain attacks.
  • Characters should not become intangible just from falling on their back or otherwise.

6. Only make the front half of the shield able to block attacks.

• People can only block attacks that strike against the side of their body that is being blocked.
  • Attacks that first contact the front half of a character's shield are treated normally just like in the original game as shielded attacks.
  • Attacks that first contact the back half of a character's shield are treated as if the shielding character were not shielding at all.
  • Attacks that first contact the front half of a character's shield are treated normally like the original game even if they eventually contact the back as well. But the attack must first contact the front half of a character's shield.
  • Attacks that contact both halves of the shield at the same time are treated as if they first made contact with the front half of the shield.
  • Consider making attacks that first contact the top head of a character's shield to be entirely blocked like in the original game.
  • This is to allow players to still block attacks that contact them directly on top of the character.
  • Some flexibility for this situation might need to be considered for players who want to naturally block certain attacks from directly above.
  • However, most hypothetical combat situations IRL or in fiction would decide that someone who is attacked from directly above would have trouble blocking such an attack or find it entirely impossible to do so.

7. Allow players to instantly change the direction a character is facing while shielding by moving the control stick.

• People can change the direction they are facing even while blocking. They are not stuck facing one direction.
  • This will allow the character to instantly face the left or right.
  • Therefore, they can change the direction they are shielding instantly.
  • This will partially compensate for the difficulty of dealing with attacks that hit the shielding character from behind.

8. Change shields to not deplete over time without being damaged.

• People expend little to no energy while blocking, and so an indefinitely-held block should not weaken over time.
  • Blocking also does not cause someone to explode and become deliriously stunned after an extended, uninterrupted duration of blocking.
  • Therefore, shields will not just deplete naturally over time nor cause a shield break when fully depleted this way.
  • Shield breaks will only be possible by sustaining damage that entirely depletes a shield.
  • This might compensate for the many detrimental changes to shielding to make it more realistic.

9. Remove shield jumps from the shield breaking.

• When a person's block is broken through, cartoon logic does not necessitate that they explode into the air and become delirious.
  • When a character's shield is broken and they are stunned, they comically fly up before landing on the ground in the normal game.
  • Preferably, their shield should break and they just become stunned while standing.
  • Or they become stunned after the shield is broken and they immediately fall down and get back up into a stunned state.
  • This comical jump is a "shield jump," and it will be removed.
  • Shield jump intangibility will also be removed even if shield jumps are already removed.

10. Change parrying to only work on attacks that qualify as shielded attacks from the front.

• Attacks should only be able to be parried if they are properly blocked.
  • Parrying only works on attacks that first contact the front half of a character's shield.
  • Parrying only works on attacks that qualify as attacks that first contact the front half of a character's shield.

11. Overhaul the shield's visual design.

• All shields will become translucent gray, partially invisible or entirely invisible.
  • The shield will be treated even more as a visible measurement of how much damage a character can block.
  • Therefore, the shield's color will ideally be changed as well or be made invisible.
  • Ideally, shields will only cover the front half of a character.
  • This will be a semicircle.
  • It will either be a semicircle bubble or a visible, semicircle line.
  • This is to represent how the back half of a shield is not counted for incoming attacks.
  • This semicircle will only shrink after sustaining damage to indicate the character's struggle to maintain the block.
  • As stated before, the back half of the shield will be made invisible if it cannot be technically deleted.
  • This is another part of making shields more realistic and symbolic of blocking ability.

If you got this far, thank you for reading about my ideas. Like I said, I only want these changes for myself and rare, like-minded players. In fact, I do not think SU or any other Smash games should officially change to accommodate my changes. The game was originally-designed a certain way, and I only want to play the game like this by myself or with friends who play the game casually as I usually do. My casual friends will certainly not notice the difference, and I do not mind that the majority of players would prefer the game to remain unchanged. In fact, I am totally fine with the idea of being worse at the game by becoming too accustomed to my realistic version so that I do worse against true vets, masters or pros at the game. But I seriously hope that these changes are possible in spite of that fact. Finally, thank you for hearing me out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom