• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are tiers less important than in melee?

Judo777

Smash Master
Kain with Wolf.
San with Ike.
TKD with Fox.
Fonz with Ganondorf.
FOW with Ness.

Please don't assume things you don't know.

Also please stay away from MK talk or I will lock this.
I don't think Fonz Ganon will make top 8 lol. No offense to Fonz he is great and a decent friend (at least I would say we are friendlier than just familar faces in a close region). Ganon is just too bad.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I don't think Fonz Ganon will make top 8 lol. No offense to Fonz he is great and a decent friend (at least I would say we are friendlier than just familar faces in a close region). Ganon is just too bad.
Meant to reference him winning with Ganon the one time.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
1. I could ask the same thing about Snake, Falco and Diddy. (tournaments from 2010 don't count anymore)

2. And really? Ever heard of Armada? (oh no switching characters for a set, if anything that shows that low tiers are more useful in Melee......)
There's also his performance in Europe where afaik he wins pretty much everything with solo Peach.
Marth has M2K, who plays Sheik as well but switches more because he can than out of necessity. (If he loses with Sheik he'll switch to Marth in a set and vice versa, but doesn't really perform significantly better)
Falcons consistently place well in a similar manner to Snake, Falco and Diddy.
Even if they're not quite as good (I'd say only Falcon is worse than those three), they're certainly not much less viable like you say, they're quite similar really.

Landry

Smash Ace
The very idea that Brawl is more balanced than Melee is laughable.

Steam

Smash Hero
1. I could ask the same thing about Snake, Falco and Diddy. (tournaments from 2010 don't count anymore)

2. And really? Ever heard of Armada? (oh no switching characters for a set, if anything that shows that low tiers are more useful in Melee......)
There's also his performance in Europe where afaik he wins pretty much everything with solo Peach.
Marth has M2K, who plays Sheik as well but switches more because he can than out of necessity. (If he loses with Sheik he'll switch to Marth in a set and vice versa, but doesn't really perform significantly better)
Falcons consistently place well in a similar manner to Snake, Falco and Diddy.
Even if they're not quite as good (I'd say only Falcon is worse than those three), they're certainly not much less viable like you say, they're quite similar really.
there are characters in brawl who do accompish similar things who are less viable than diddy/Falco/Snake. Marth and Wario, dominate europe. Olimar and ICs excell in japan. etc etc.

@landry- not really, Melee is better in the top tiers with MK legal, but with MK banned so many characters become very much viable in the brawl metagame. and the top tier metagame becomes incredibly balanced as well, with every character having 2-3 bad matchups at least.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
LOL, we have characters like Lucas getting 2nd in regionals in brawl, every melee tourney is like

puff
fox
falco
fox
fox/sheik

or something

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Some middle/lowtiers in Melee seem kinda interesting, but I would never stand a chance with them, so I'm stuck with Puff. Also everyone in Finland plays one of the top6 really :(

TKD

Smash Lord
Not even Melee's top players are balanced. They sure prove the game to be consistent, though all Smash games are because of the depth (tons and tons of frame data, character traits and options compared to all other fighters).
Character-wise, I still see all of Falco's moves countering all of every other character's.

Starwave

Smash Cadet
I have yet to see a successful fighter with good balance. MvC series has so bad balance they had to make another version and gain more quick buck.
Vanilla MvC3 at its worse (God tier Phoenix, broken assists) > Brawl in terms of balanced. Now that Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom is released, pretty every single character in the game (save 5 or so, which nothing in a game of 50) is viable, which is more than what you can say about Brawl's balance.

Kain with Wolf.
San with Ike.
TKD with Fox.
Fonz with Ganondorf.
FOW with Ness.

Please don't assume things you don't know.

Also please stay away from MK talk or I will lock this.
I'm sorry, but they don't nearly as well as the top tiers.

I'll give you San, Kain and TKD. Thats 3 players doing well with a character that are not high / top tier ding well in Brawl. Thats not enough. Are you joking with Fonz with Ganondorf or are you actually serious. Ganondorf is absolutely horrdd, and I'd love to see a major Brawl tournament with Ganondorf players making it anywhere... hell i'll even give you top 8. His mention is completely irrelevant. In FOW's case, I know for a fact he uses MK for a lot of Ness' problems matchups.

And the fact that you could only name 4 characters (2 of which i will disregard) isn't impressive in the slightest. In Melee I could name a dozen or so players who could win actual tournaments with low tier characters. Come APEX (MK is unbanned i believe), and even the tournament after top 8 will consist of top / high tier characters exclusively. (With one or 2 minor hiccups like a mid tier character making it in)

I hope you don't misconstrue my post and think i'm trolling. This entirely my opinion, and the discussion (so far) has been vitriol-free.

Steam

Smash Hero
And the fact that you could only name 4 characters (2 of which i will disregard) isn't impressive in the slightest. In Melee I could name a dozen or so players who could win actual tournaments with low tier characters.

fonz won a tourney going all ganon.

melee lower tiers don't see near the ammount of success brawl lower tiers do at the regional or national level :/

Starwave

Smash Cadet
Can I see the tournament results?

I also beg to disagree, but again. /opinions.

Steam

Smash Hero
Can I see the tournament results?

I also beg to disagree, but again. /opinions.
I don't have a link to them, but just about anyone here will vouch for me that ganon did indeed win a midwest tourney. it was huge news when it happened.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
It was pretty funny. It was a while before the MK ban (pretty sure even before the most recent MK ban poll started) and somebody just decided to host an MK banned tournament. And Fonz got 1st with Ganon. And everybody peed themselves with laughter.

Good times.

Doc King

Smash Lord
fonz won a tourney going all ganon.

melee lower tiers don't see near the ammount of success brawl lower tiers do at the regional or national level :/
You know, after watching the melee stream and the brawl stream. I saw like several characters used for Melee like Fox, Falco, Sheik, Peach, Falcon, and Marth that were all mixed up. In Brawl, all I saw were mainly metaknights and mk dittos. You would see a few other characters at times, but it was the mk's that were winning.

Melee is so much more balanced than Brawl.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I watched like, 3 sets of doubles. That's the most I can ever watch since Brawl is so boring. All I saw was 2 MKs on every match. Bad bad bad :(

Doc King

Smash Lord
There was like 90 percent :metaknight: and 10 percent anything else (Mainly :diddy: and :snake:).

Starwave

Smash Cadet
Wow hell just froze over.

Still doesn't change anything to be honest, but i'll admit it was pretty awesome. If it happens again in a tournament with named players then i'll officially eat crow.

arcane9211

Smash Apprentice
We've seen a lot of diversity this tounament among the top finishers in singles and doubles - :marthbrawl: :metaknightbrawl: :kirbybrawl: :dkbrawl: :snakebrawl: :robbrawl: :falcobrawl: :pikachubrawl: :olimarbrawl: :icsbrawl: :diddybrawl: :wariocbrawl: :zssbrawl: :gwbrawl: :sonicbrawl:

And melee was solid as usual- :falconmelee: :foxmelee: :pikachumelee: :drmario: :ganonmelee: :younglinkmelee: :marthmelee: :jigglypuffmelee::falcomelee::sheikmelee: :peachmelee: :icsmelee:

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Sorry if I didn't myself clear so you can stop being butthurt. Apparently doesn't mean it is, but I guess I have to put the words obvious joke before my posts.

Still those Grand Finals though LOL

Black Mantis

Smash Hero

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
^lol those aren't even close, brawl can be played aggressively too but it can't compare to the speed and aggressiveness melee can for very obvious reasons repeated over and over throughout the years, it's silly to try to even debate otherwise.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
And Eric me and you both there's way more campy matches of melee than just this.
-Pinkshinobi vs Germ
Pinkshinobi vs Mango
Pinkshinobi vs Rockcrock
Amsah vs Jman
-Whenever Soft plays
That german Melee jigglypuff player who doesn't even namesearch anymore because of me (lol)
armada vs hbox at genesis

Top Bottom