• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are we getting a decent online mode for wii u release?

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
So with the new wii u version release imminent, does anyone have any information of the online being any good?
what are they doing to fix the issues?

If they are just going to keep it the same as brawl like the 3DS version, i predict an early death for the wii u

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
What are you looking for, Capture The Special Flag? King Dedede of the Hill? Search and Destroy Bob-ombs? Yes it will be mostly just like the 3ds version, except better lobby-making and friends to join in on contest, as well as 2 vs 2. Let's not forget Tournament mode. Nowhere near close an early death.

This belongs in the Wii U board, btw.

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
well just want an online thats actually playable and not riddled with lag 90% of the time

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I sure hope it's better than 3ds. I worry because Mario Kart 8 has a working online, but just like Smash 3ds, you absolutely cannot backout of the screen when it's searching for players. The other day in Mario Kart 8 I had to turn off the power and boot my Wii U back up again because it was in search limbo, and I can't press B to try again. Just like in Smash 3ds when I know it's taking too long and it's going to give me an error, I have to wait until it gives me the error that both myself and Nintendo know it's going to give.

I don't want to deal with that part again. Aside from that, it should be smooth for the most part just like the majority of online matches are pretty smooth on 3ds. Not all, but it's most definitely playable 85% or higher of the time.

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
I sure hope it's better than 3ds. I worry because Mario Kart 8 has a working online, but just like Smash 3ds, you absolutely cannot backout of the screen when it's searching for players. The other day in Mario Kart 8 I had to turn off the power and boot my Wii U back up again because it was in search limbo, and I can't press B to try again. Just like in Smash 3ds when I know it's taking too long and it's going to give me an error, I have to wait until it gives me the error that both myself and Nintendo know it's going to give.

I don't want to deal with that part again. Aside from that, it should be smooth for the most part just like the majority of online matches are pretty smooth on 3ds. Not all, but it's most definitely playable 85% or higher of the time.
well i dont like to play 1vs1 a lot i prefer to play 2v2 and it lags 90% of the time on 2v2

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
What are you looking for, Capture The Special Flag? King Dedede of the Hill? Search and Destroy Bob-ombs?
You know..

Those actually sound interesting lol

They should implement more types of Special Smash modes with unique goals. I also hope Special Smash is available for online mode

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The online is already good in the 3DS version, despise the lackluster online options. Most of my matches are lag free, so I have no reasons to complain.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
3ds online isn't terrible but it sure has its moments. I'm expecting far less lag matches on the Wii U version.

I hope we get options like special smash online.

servbot 42

Smash Cadet
NNID
Servbot42
I am pretty sure it will be the same as the 3DS version. They introduced the wifi lan adapter feature for the WiiU which tells me "We didnt make our servers a priority" but I can say that it will be less laggy due to the fact that your opponent cant walk away from the wifi connection to induce lag and get an upper hand in the fight(unless someone carries the WiiU away). Its best to play this game in person, no lag and you can talk to your opponent in person. Im buying one of those TVs that are in a briefcase to take my WiiU to events. I realize its more practical to take the 3ds version instead, but I have been in a smash event of 50+ people and if youre a couple feet away, connection is beyond game breaking.

Last edited:

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
The Wii U in general is significantly more powerful than the 3DS. <.< I feel that due to that sole reason the online will be more stable. Mario Kart 8 has very few moments of lag and has hardly ever failed me. My console is in a room with low signal and everything seems to perform fine.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
well i dont like to play 1vs1 a lot i prefer to play 2v2 and it lags 90% of the time on 2v2
Yeah 2v2 online probably won't be great. You might be able to get decent matches if you only play with friends with good connections, but playing 2v2 with randoms is almost guaranteed to be a laggy mess since it only takes one person with a subpar connection to ruin it. I personally won't even bother trying to play online with more than 2 players.

TheBlossomingLily

Stitchface King
NNID
BlossomingLily
3DS FC
1736-0702-8981
I've played many lagless matches online, including in For Glory.
But I won't deny that there's definitely lag issues when I face people with terrible connections. Thankfully I mostly play with groups of Skype friends with good connections and I'm sure it'll be just as smooth if not smoother for us on the WiiU.

Last edited:
Top Bottom