• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are women underestimated in tourneys?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Rather than answering the initial question, I'll just say what i believe to be true.

Women are generally less competitive than guys, and when they are competitive I NEVER see the fierceness as I do from the male pros, unless they are ***** (but thats a subject I wish not to get into). Also I think men like action, fighting, blood, violence etc. Way more than women, so thats why men like seeing longer combos to see more ownage... ROFL (thats why i like it <,<). And I guess lastly men have better hand eye coordination, I am basing this from the differences i see in women sporting leagues and men sporting leagues... Seriously have u ever watched womens basketball?? Jesus it's terrible. And with all this said, I would say women are rightfully underestimated, but I am not saying they cannot beat a guy, just saying the top girl vs the top guy? Obviously the guy wins.

Ants

Smash Cadet
they probably r underestimated, if thats the case take advantage of it..
they won't be playing at their best if thats their thinking.....

S2

Smash Lord
There aren't a lot of girl Smashers, but there have been a handful of female players who are good.

Like any opponent, I don't condone going easy. If I play against a girl in a tournament and mercilessly beat on her, well then so be it. I'd rather do that then risk losing because she's actually as good or better than me and I let my guard down.

KoalaBear

Smash Apprentice
i would try to play better if i played a girl lol most brawl girls can kick my *** at it haha

Samochan

Smash Master
And I guess lastly men have better hand eye coordination
<_<

No wonder everyone else learns all the techs but me. My hand eye coordination is good when it comes to tinkering with little things, no rush and all... but when I need to move my fingers at light speed around the controller with set inputs... Guess if my main is peach and not fox or marth or anyone else. <_< Still trying to learn to properly waveshine on command...

Not forgetting my reflexes are sub-par, my gamer friends react approximately 3 times faster than me. >_>

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
As far as Melee goes, it's quite complicated. Guys don't necessarily underestimate girls. I think it's more along the lines of "If I completely destroy this girl she might think I'm a douche bag." type of thing ... Then again, another person might choose the latter and respect the girl's decision to want to be a competitive gamer and treat her like any other serious gamer. I just think that it's a guys inner perspective that tells him to stay a gentlemen regardless of the situation. And since he's in the situation of facing a female smasher, me may at least allow her to make the matches look close. I don't really think it's right, but that's the way it is, with MOST guys. Oh yeah, this of course would primarily apply to guys that are straight and not ... slanted? (sorry trying to be polite, don't beat me up).

Oh and as far as Brawl goes, forkgirl pretty much summed it up in the first sentence ...
Women who want special treatment just for being women, especially in a case of being a Competitive gamer and going to tournaments and wanting people to take it easy on them because of their gender = Bad people, probably ****ty players and scrubby

Guys who take it easy on women = Quasi-chauvanistic for thinking he has to take it easier on them because they're women and hence weaker either at the game or for getting upset if they get crushed. Or a wuss because he can't take it if the girl whines/gets upset after getting crushed.

So it's all a suckfest full of whiny b*****es and male chauvinists/wusses. Don't be a b****/male chauvinist/wuss!

In other words, don't take it easy on women just because they're women. If they get upset at you for playing the way you'd play against anyone else, then they're ****ty people who expect special treatment just for their gender. Those people deserve no respect.

Tonb3rry

Smash Ace
Yes, most people underestimating female smashers, and not by a strange reason. The fact is that most female smashers lacks the technical ability to play the game competitively, and that's why. This is however not always the case. I've seen good female smashers like Samochan(Finland), Milktea(USA) and Kupo(Australia), but that's not many people. Short said: The world lacks female smashers =(

Edit: I play my best, if it's women or not. I think it is haughty to not do, just 'cause they are women.

Samochan

Smash Master
The fact is that most female smashers lacks the technical ability to play the game competitively, and that's why. This is however not always the case. I've seen good female smashers like Samochan(Finland), Milktea(USA) and Kupo(Australia), but that's not many people.
Yay Tonberry, you remembered to mention me. <3

Most females definitely seem to lack the technical skill and thrive to play smash competitively, also it would not be unheard of that simply being with large group of male smashers would alienate female players. Emphasis on the most female smashers lack tech skill, does not seem to apply to me with peach anymore but guess I practiced so hard that sometimes joints on my thumbs hurt from playing too much and I've developed thick skin on my both thumbs. <_<;

But any vids of Kupo, long time ago I heard she was actually the best player in Australia (not sure) and I wonder if there's any fairly recent melee vids showcasing her skill. :3

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
well, when I was in a big nintendo hosted tournament I was beat twice by girls. so I dont underestimate them =D

alpharomeo

Smash Rookie
well to answer your queastion. some people wil underestimate you. but i wont! id rather ruthlessly destroy a female and everyone hate me rather than lose to a girl. so i always bring my a game regardless of who i smashin on. but the amazing thing is girl gamers are really sexy to me. ts a turn on to most guys i think

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Women who want special treatment just for being women, especially in a case of being a Competitive gamer and going to tournaments and wanting people to take it easy on them because of their gender = Bad people, probably ****ty players and scrubby

Guys who take it easy on women = Quasi-chauvanistic for thinking he has to take it easier on them because they're women and hence weaker either at the game or for getting upset if they get crushed. Or a wuss because he can't take it if the girl whines/gets upset after getting crushed.

So it's all a suckfest full of whiny b*****es and male chauvinists/wusses. Don't be a b****/male chauvinist/wuss!

In other words, don't take it easy on women just because they're women. If they get upset at you for playing the way you'd play against anyone else, then they're ****ty people who expect special treatment just for their gender. Those people deserve no respect.
I was waiting for a reply like this. Thanks you're right hehe. I just wanted to pose the analyzed.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
I changed my name to this current name. Once I get a wii with internet access then sure. If you are going to catacylsm in NJ come up to me and challenge me there. I am giving you the pleasure of playing me and probably getting owned by me.:laugh:
You are setting your sites a bit too high, my friend. Such overconfidence will be your downfall in combat. Oh, and trust me, the pleasure WILL be mine alone. 'Til we meet on the battlefield...

CervPurp63

Smash Apprentice
there was a woman at the last tournament i went to. as soon as I saw her with a controller in her hand, i told my friend "look! she fixin' to woop that a$$!" and she proceeded to woop a$$. Whenever i see a woman at a tournament, i assume she's got some game.

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman

Generally Yuna, I've pegged you as an angry bitter human being ,but seeing as how I dont know you I read this and I really appreciate this post.

I made the winners bracket by winning my first match got my arse beat and almost won my third (listened to the crowd should have just played the way I always had). Yeah , I was very underestimated at the tournament in fact every match I same across I got the general "You play?" but the guys really started to pick up their game when they saw one I had some skill and that I was really trying. This showed when I got invited by random people to play them after watching my matches. I just wish they werent friendlies =P.I will be going to more tournaments in the future.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
_milktea and Nezumi are both very good and well-known female players. I wouldn't underestimate them for a second.

Of course they are bound to be underestimated:
1. Prejudice and pre-conceived notions about women in general. Boys are often ignorant.
2. Female players are rare.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
_milktea and Nezumi are both very good and well-known female players. I wouldn't underestimate them for a second.

Of course they are bound to be underestimated:
1. Prejudice and pre-conceived notions about women in general. Boys are often ignorant.
2. Female players are rare.
Really? I would love to play them

crescentia

Smash Journeyman
Fumi played an absolutely disgusting Yoshi in Melee, but not too many people know she's a girl.

daisey

Smash Apprentice
im a huge melee fan, so im going have to say yes girls are highly underestimated
ive been to a few tournaments and if i say so myself there are some really good girls out there.
i dont have the videos to prove it but i did well against people like azen, chu, eddie, even though it was friendlies. ive never placed like top before but i get alot of compliments. Gender isnt an issue here if you ask me.
Im also ranked 2nd best here where im from and im big competion to everyone here, alot of guys actually underestimate me before they play me, i normally win so its worth it.

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
You are setting your sites a bit too high, my friend. Such overconfidence will be your downfall in combat. Oh, and trust me, the pleasure WILL be mine alone. 'Til we meet on the battlefield...
I have destroyed every female smasher out there so it is not overconfidence I am just that good. I am well known through out the eastcost and I am a beast with the DK. This will be an interesting match and should be recorded cuz im gunna whoop yo cracka ***!:laugh:

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Then i challenge you, vigilante. Not to prove anything. I merely wish to see if your bite is as big as your bark. The deal is if you can record, post the battle here. If you cant, i will ask a friend. Use a unique taunt comment so that we can confirm a real battle. The rules are 4 stock, no items, no time, neutral stage. if you back out, i will understand.

Zoro

Smash Champion
I have destroyed every female smasher out there so it is not overconfidence I am just that good. I am well known through out the eastcost and I am a beast with the DK. This will be an interesting match and should be recorded cuz im gunna whoop yo cracka ***!:laugh:
Ive never heard about you in my life an im east coast
u probably suck

regardless u will woop that cracka ***

because u know...its a girl

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
Then i challenge you, vigilante. Not to prove anything. I merely wish to see if your bite is as big as your bark. The deal is if you can record, post the battle here. If you cant, i will ask a friend. Use a unique taunt comment so that we can confirm a real battle. The rules are 4 stock, no items, no time, neutral stage. if you back out, i will understand.
We should have it as tourney rules 2 out of 3, 8min, and tourney levels.

Ive never heard about you in my life an im east coast
u probably suck

regardless u will woop that cracka ***

because u know...its a girl
It's because your a scrub and I will whoop yo cracka *** too!

The question is...

Melee or Brawl? :p
This is a good question because I was under the impression that heartz only played melee but if u play both heartz then we should do both.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
im not gonna lie, and i will proly earn some hate for this but so far in my experience this is the theory that i have crafted:

before i came to college....
"Girls cant play video games"

than i got some experience in the real world, and two years later i have altered that theory to what it is now,
"Girls cant play COMPETITIVE video games WELL"

i have this theory because until i skimmed this thread i had never seen an instance where a girl was the best in any competitive video game. i know girls that **** in other games, i know girls that did everything that i did in FFX in half the time. and i know a girl that throws combos together in devil may cry like nobody's business. but when it comes to games where you are playing right next to somebody and the objective is to kill or otherwise defeat them, i feel that there is something genetic in humans that make the male species SLIGHTLY more adept with split second thinking and decisions and therefore better at those types of games.

However....

i do NOT take girls lightly when i play them in smash, as a matter of fact, in order to defend my theory, i always play my hardest against female competitors. one time, actually, at a biweekly in rochester NY about a year ago (arena 51 biweeklies if anyone cares) i was pitted in a match against a girl who is i think considered top 5 in our area. and i beat her sheik and link pretty soundly with ganon, and everybody was really surprised when i did, cause everyone thought she was better than me. just bringing this up b/c although i would be embarassed to lose to a girl in smash, i never assume an easy win.

forkgirl

Smash Lord
I've never even heard of you either. are you going to the georgia tournament? we should play :)

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Are you out of your mind? I've never seen such a stupid post on Smashboards.

I'm pretty sure Heartz is gonna beat you. And if she doesn't (And she will), I'll be glad to take you on.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord

Your who?

I'll fall to the ground laughing when Heartz whoops your sorry ***:chuckle:

Overconfidence always leads to disaster.

An equally skilled guy and girl would be evenly matched. If they are both serious. Men may have better reflexes but women have better eyesight so they sort of cancel out.

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
I have destroyed every female smasher out there so it is not overconfidence I am just that good. I am well known through out the eastcost and I am a beast with the DK. This will be an interesting match and should be recorded cuz im gunna whoop yo cracka ***!
I live on the east coast.........never heard of you................you probably blow.

Money match?

Top Bottom