• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

are you a left hander or right hander?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sauce

Smash Journeyman
So hypothetically with this new technique...you could...use your other hand... and play smash at the same time?

Possibilites....?......!!!!! heheheh I goto try that.

Wait for the victory rumble....oh yeah.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
My hands fit perfectly with the GameCube controllers, the official ones that is, I cant play with those micro ones, those are too small. And I also have double jointed thumbs, both thumbs. Im not sure, but I guess it helps that Im double jointed in my thumbs cause then I could dash dance more effiently. I know if I played with the micro controllers, I wouldnt do so well. So Im sure size of your hands does matter to a degree. I press "Z" rather than R and L cause I hate how they are trigger buttons and how you have to move your fingers farther from the main buttons like; A,B,X, and Y. Plus I tried L-Canceling, but that would mess up my characters mobility with the control stick. I call L-Canceling Lag Canceling, cause I think R and Z are more used than L. Hmmm... Wavebirds might help for those who are big handed.

ShineOfScott-SOS

Smash Journeyman
im right handed , i use y for jump and R for L-C,WD,Block etc, and my hands fit nice aroudn the GC controller and its a strong right hand as its the one i jerk off with hehe

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I use my left hand for that. Anyway, my hands are girlish... :p The fingers are too thin for rings for men and too thick for rings for women, so it's really hard to find a ring that fits perfectly.

But at least my hands are PERFECT for the GC controller! Ouh, and my nails are shiny nowadays. I've pasted them with some nail-strengthening thingie.

Alex13

Smash Journeyman
I'm right-handed, and I don't think it would be easier nor less easy to play if I were left-handed. I've been played video games since I was two. I'm just naturally good from early play. I think that plays an important role in your play and style, early gaming.

P.S. ...you're Ken... lol.

HylianLord

Smash Ace
i'm left handed. i think being left handed does work well for me, becaues i wavedash using X then using control stick + L at the same time. and since control stick / L are used at the same time, and done by the same hand, the timing is quite simple. but i guess my right hand can't do certain things, like DSHL with fox using just X/Y and B (even though i don't use it =_=). Instead i SH with control stick and spam B. i use control stick for things like JC (shine), the edge double laser (falco) etc...

my control setup is strange... i naturally want to use Z for aerials, but the timing with L canceling is a bit different than A for some reason, so i went back to A. So right now i'm using L for roll / spotdodge / wavedash / air dodge / shield / shield grab/ shield dash etc ... I don't use R at all because i can't time it T_T. i have no clue how ppl use R to wavedash ^_^;... i tried it and it felt like i was writing with my right hand (my writting with my right hand is worse than my baby sister's...)

Olrox

Smash Rookie
I'm a left hander. For my right hand I use my index fringer for the face buttons, my thumb for the stick, and my middle finger for R and Z

Soanevalck

Smash Ace
right handed...and it should be clear that which hand you use doesnt matter

its whoever is just begining has a hard time with the controls and whoever has been playing a long time should have the easiest time

practice is what matters foremost

FoxFalcon

Smash Cadet
I'm right handed, and there are bound to be pros and cons for both. The biggest handicap is old/nonresponsive controllers, those are the worst :mad: .

Zander805

Smash Ace
I'm right handed. I think being right handed is better because you can be faster at moving from X or Y to the C-Stick, which is used a lot. I have like short, fat fingers, and I think it makes it harder to short hop with some characters.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
The Answers

You guys should research this more. But to put it plain and simply being right or left handed does affect ones gameplay, period.

You may not realize that it affects you because of the argument that " well if you have been playin video games long enough then you wont even realize it." This argument is in fact true in some cases. Playing video games for a very long time can get you accostomed to holding a controller. After you have played video games for an extended amount of time it will soon become a reflex to pick up and hold the controller the way you do. It would be the same as picking up some sort of simple household item such as a fork. Think about it this way when you reach to pick up a fork you pick it up the same way any one else would, with the handle. But why do you pick it up this way ? Because you know that is the way that it is most effeciently used. This can be related with the controller, and using your left and right hands. When you reach to pick up a controller you are already programmed in your brain to pick it up a certain way. Your way (being left handed) of picking up and holding the controller might have a totally different feel from someone elses way (being right handed) of holding the controller. This is why you might have an slight advantage over your oppenent and not even know it, it could all be subconscious.

This subconscious "feel" of the way your brain interprets the hold of a controller could also affect the characters you like to play. You might think that you dont like a character because they are not cool to you or dont have shine combos. When in fact it COULD be that because of the way your controller feels on your hands you were just not meant to play a character. For example I could never play a competetive peach. Why.....because I simply cannot do ariels with the C-stick while float canceling. It feels wierd on my fingers. She is one of the few characters that I must change around the positioning of my fingers just a little bit in order to play her, yet when I try to do her float canceled ariels it feels natural to use the A button for them. While other people, lets say an peach player might feel accustomed to using the C-Stick for her ariels. This might just be my specific situation but I know others have the same problem with other characters....

The long story short is that being left or right handed has a pyschological effect on your performance in this game. Of course other things contribute to your gameplay as well, such as finger size or temperature. This effect is and might be unnoticable in some people and quite vague in others, but it is there.

We have been scarred from the first time we touched the controller, because that first touch determined how we would feel about it for the rest of our gamecube playing lives.....

- TeH ThInKeR -

LaserMarth

Smash Cadet
lol it doesn't matter what hand you are it doesn't give you any advantage or any stuff like that....it's how you play and how well you hone your skills...everyone has different ways of playing and whatever works for you is good

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
LaserMarth said:
lol it doesn't matter what hand you are it doesn't give you any advantage or any stuff like that....it's how you play and how well you hone your skills...everyone has different ways of playing and whatever works for you is good

Please read the post by me above yours.....

- advent -

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
<_< The question of my handedness is a bit uncertain, actually. I might be a lefty who was trained righty, as I hold pencils and such in the left-handed style despite using the right hand.

What I am certain of, however, is the fact that my hands are big. In the past, I always had the center of my thumb posistioned over the control stick, but once I started playing competitively I discovered I couldn't wavedash consistently in this manner. I eventually forced myself to have the upper part of my thumb be in contact with the stick. It took a while to adapt, but I can wavedash better because of it and I can do non C-sticked up aerials without jumping easier.

that 1 guy

Smash Ace
ha I am ambidextrous and I think it helps a lot, it certainly allows me a lot more flexibility. In fact I switch between l and r quite often. I have trained myself to use one for l canceling and the other for wavedashing. I think being very strong with your right hand would be slightly more advantageous. There are more buttons on the right side of the controller and you need to be able to move between them quickly. Anyway I think that practice is the most important part, but things like this do effect how comfortable people are with doing certain things which determines the amount of practice time needed.

Yoshi in Style

Smash Apprentice
I'm right-handed. That's why I dodge with the R button and shield with it too. Right-handed galore! :)

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I'm also right handed. And I also dodge with r and shield too ;). But L p00ns for lcancel!

Btw Yoshi in Style, aren't you the guy who made the thread about gamers and gaming being gae? I'm surprised you still showed your face here.

Yoshi in Style

Smash Apprentice
Yeah ,but someone hacked in my account and posted under my name. I really don't hate
videogames, as I already said in my topic 'someone hacked in my account'' which is now closed.

Rickety

Peace and Love
I'm a lefty, and I have noticed that everyone I know who is left handed plays videogames, either casually or hardcore, tends to be a little better than average than a right hander. I'm not trying to say that lefties are better than right handers, but perhaps they get a <i>slight</i> (I can't emphasize that enough) advantage over right handers. Even with this "advantage", it still comes all down to skill. I just believe left handers may be slightly better equipped for playing video games. Did any of that make sense?

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
lol I dont know how this topic ever came back up, I think I made this topic years ago after I won Tg4... or before? I forgot

Uncle Meat

Smash Champion
sephirothken said:
lol I dont know how this topic ever came back up, I think I made this topic years ago after I won Tg4... or before? I forgot
Fluffy necro'd it.

I'm a righty (surprise!).

Do longer fingers help or hurt your play style?

David1231RC

Smash Rookie
I'm left handed, but I have no idea how that makes me better than any of the right handed people.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
FLCLalex said:
Im right-handed too, but i do everything that involves the L, R or Z button with my left index finger(ie- wavedashing, sheilding, teching etc etc). Is anyone else like this?
Z button with left hand :confused:

South_Paw

Smash Ace
I'm a lefty (hence the name south_paw for those of you who dont know, lol)

idk, i only discovered a couple of months ago that im the only person i know of that i play with that uses l to wavedash and l-cancel... i never use r. and i use only x to jump (which is not so uncommon, i know)

AS Money

Smash Lord
well your not the only one to use that my friend uses his left hand to l cansal and wave dash i can use both cuz i am ambidextris(but usually just my right hand) but because i use to write with my right hand i have to say i am a righty

Jennuh

Smash Journeyman
South_Paw said:
I'm a lefty (hence the name south_paw for those of you who dont know, lol)

idk, i only discovered a couple of months ago that im the only person i know of that i play with that uses l to wavedash and l-cancel... i never use r. and i use only x to jump (which is not so uncommon, i know)
Thats really odd and interesting at the same time. Everyone I know who is right handed uses L to L-Cancel and wavedash. I am the only one out of my friends who uses R for L-canceling and wavedashing. I use X to jump as well. n_n

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom