• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arizona Brawl Power Rankings and Brawl Social Thread (Updated: November 2013)

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
I will help enforce the time restrictions for this next tournament. The problem I see happen is postponing events because people can't show up at a certain time. The tournament before last didn't start doubles until 3 because there were not enough TV's and only GV7 and a few others were there around 12. Phoenix needs to show up at 12 and bring set ups. Tucson arrives around 1230 every time. If there aren't enough people at 1pm for Doubles then Double's wont be ran and we will just have friendlies until 330pm. We will be cutting people if they don't place well in pools and that is to make sure I never have to leave at 230am again

Govikings07

Smash Journeyman
I would like rave and jard if he goes to tournaments more often or a tucson smasher that goes to most tournaments to be the T.O.s. they will manage the tournaments. Also i would like a fee penalty to be charged if they are late on signing up for an event later than scheduled. Maybe it will help the late people be on time!

:phone:

Jar'd

Smash Ace
I feel like a late fee will just stop people from entering, as opposed to encourage people to come on time.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Yeah, the penalty for for showing up late is just barred entry. If you continue to give the ability to show up late, it will not have solved anything.

If I ever get a damn Saturday off for a Tucson tourney, I'm down to lay some law down

Govikings07

Smash Journeyman
Alright then im down for them not being able to enter the tournament even better. So as of now this will be in effect. People better read, write down, remember, take a picture of the schedule for the tournaments from now on. I dont give a ****! :)

And bring set ups! Wiis are always welcomed as well.

Tokyoinamerica

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tokyodown
I just got back from Illinois and I'm looking to play if anyone is interested.

This time sensitive stuff sounds good...when I use to enter more I'd always have to leave early because signups and matches would take so long and that I would usually have something else to do on Saturday.

EDIT: why is this necessary ---> :phone:

Jane

Smash Hero
i got mind control over deebo. when he tell me to shut up, i be quiet.

...but when he leave, i be talking again.

hahaha, so many quotables.

Govikings07

Smash Journeyman
Every time I come in the kitchen, you in the kitchen. In the goddamn refrigerator. Eatin' up all the food. All the chitlins... All the pig's feet... All the collard greens... All the hog maws. I wanna eat them chitlins... I like pigs feet.

haha you should see my 5 year old nephew watch this movie he knows like the whole movie hahahaha

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
By the way, for anyone that doesn't have it my Cell # is 602-330-7610, also Shawn my Skype is aaven92.

PS. Please do not call me if you are a pedophile, rapist or convicted felon, thank you.

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
I'm having a Smashfest on Saturday guys! It'll be from 4pm-2am. And my roommate will be out of town so you guys can be as loud as you want! :)

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
Hey Yummy go to the Smashfest at Rave's so we can practice Dubs mang.

Saffy posted on FB that she probably won't be going to the 11th tourney anymore since some problems have arisen lately, so I'll be teaming with you now.

Yoshiken96

Smash Journeyman
Good, that means I don't have to share Stevo with you :).

Also, I am totally going to come to the Smashfest this Saturday, but I won't be able to come until late, like sometime between 8:00-9:00.

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
Rave - do you have directions? I've been dying to plays smash.

Me too, it's been way too long since I've last played everyone. Can't wait to see all you guys tomorrow!!

My address is 2625 E Indian School Rd Unit 343 Phoenix AZ 85016
Gate Code #3916
Phone: 480-522-6912

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
So here's my stance on the topic of allowing players to enter late:

First before anything, you MUST call ahead at least 30 minutes before the event you want to enter if you know you are going to be late. This is not only common courtesy, it will also allow us to balance the Pools/Bracket accordingly.

Pools:
A person will be allowed to enter Pools late ONLY if their pool is less than halfway done. Otherwise, they are barred from entering Pools and have to wait for Brackets.

Brackets:
A person CAN be entered into brackets if they were not able to make it in time for pools, but their seed will be based on their average seeding in previous tournaments, rounded DOWN if they vary between two seedings, and they will have to pay a $2 late fee.

In terms of tournaments being slowed down due to people going away for food and "quests":

I propose a 30 minute lunch for these activities, which will start 10 minutes before the last Pool is expected to finish. While some people may argue anyone can go get food during their down time, some players like Shawn, Kevin, and Kyle are usually in tournaments til the very end, and don't have time to go get food until the whole tournament is over. This time will also be used by TOs to set up tournament brackets, so technically it will still be productive toward the completion of the tournament.

To speed up the process even further, try to see if you can pick up food for other players.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Brackets:
A person CAN be entered into brackets if they were not able to make it in time for pools, but their seed will be based on their average seeding in previous tournaments, rounded DOWN if they vary between two seedings), but they will have to pay a $2 late fee.
With all due respect Rave, that's an awful lot of effort to cater to a tardy player. If anything, they're being done a favor by being able to skip pools. What if it's some new player who has no reference to be seeded with?

And a $2 fee for being late doesn't help anything. It isn't enough to deter lateness, but is enough to irritate the late player (which is whatever). The only person who benefits from an extra fee is someone who places, not even the community who just want to get their tournament started.

Even OoS players know us for not being able to get things done on time. If any action should be taken to at least try to prevent players from being late, it ought to be more strict.

I know that was just your stance, but it's a good discussion topic :3

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
With all due respect Rave, that's an awful lot of effort to cater to a tardy player. If anything, they're being done a favor by being able to skip pools. What if it's some new player who has no reference to be seeded with?

And a $2 fee for being late doesn't help anything. It isn't enough to deter lateness, but is enough to irritate the late player (which is whatever). The only person who benefits from an extra fee is someone who places, not even the community who just want to get their tournament started.

Even OoS players know us for not being able to get things done on time. If any action should be taken to at least try to prevent players from being late, it ought to be more strict.

I know that was just your stance, but it's a good discussion topic :3
No problem, thanks for providing constructive feedback.

With my proposition, skipping pools will not be a huge advantage, as the person will be placed in the normal seeding they get anyway, or rounded down in case they vary between two seedings. Also, to avoid anyone taking advantage of this system, a person will only be allowed to miss pools (and be automatically advanced to brackets) once per season.

The $2 late fee was something I debated myself, and would be okay in not imposing. :)

There are several ways I plan on fixing our issue of not starting events on time:
1) Write the schedule on a whiteboard that everyone can easily see
2) Provide a 30 minute lunch
3) Disqualify people if they don't return within 5 minutes after all the other matches in the round that they are in is completed/if they don't return before their pool is halfway done
4) (Have someone who is actually loud and authoritative) call matches, call for signups, and announce when tournaments are going to start
5) Adhere to the schedule as much as possible, even if it means overlapping tournies

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
Good sh*t at the Smashfest everyone, this was amazing Doubles practice for me. Shawn we should team up sometime in the future for kicks, that Ike/MK combo was tearing it up.

I'm calling it now, I'm not settling for anything less than making Top 5 by the end of this season, no matter what it takes I'm going to make it happen.

Yoshiken96

Smash Journeyman
Shawn we should team up sometime in the future for kicks, that Ike/MK combo was tearing it up.
They key word in there being "was" ;), cuz when Stevo and I walked in, we just dominated and destroyed.

Mario and Luigi too good.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
My proposition was just plain and simply bar entry to late people. "Late" meaning that we would have to postpone an event so they can get there. That's AZ's problem.

And as far as a 30 min lunch goes, might I suggest at least waiting till the bracket has been set up? That way the last pool doesn't get a shorter break and if you know your first match isn't till later in the bracket, you can take extra time if you'd like (while still, of course, being obligated to show up when you need to)

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
My proposition was just plain and simply bar entry to late people. "Late" meaning that we would have to postpone an event so they can get there. That's AZ's problem.

And as far as a 30 min lunch goes, might I suggest at least waiting till the bracket has been set up? That way the last pool doesn't get a shorter break and if you know your first match isn't till later in the bracket, you can take extra time if you'd like (while still, of course, being obligated to show up when you need to)
Actually, with my proposition, events would not have to be postponed by any significant margin (5 minutes at most). They would simply be the last person in their pool/round to start their matches. Due to the nature of pools, the latest a person will be capable of entering a pool without significantly postponing it is before their pool is halfway done.

Whether people only get a 30-minute lunch or a 1-hour lunch because they finished earlier than other pools is up to everyone in your pool and how soon you guys finish your matches.

And in terms waiting to start lunch until brackets are up, that kinda seems like a waste of time, since the process of creating brackets usually takes about 15-30 minutes anyway- we might as well allot that time to also allow people head out and get some lunch. Also, usually everyone will be capable of playing a match immediately after the bracket is set up, so theoretically it would be best that everyone is back by that time.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
since the process of creating brackets usually takes about 15-30 minutes anyway
ah, ok then.
Yeah, I'm not opposed to letting someone slip in after pools have started or whatever, I just want to prevent things that keep tournaments going till like 2am

Top Bottom