• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
The problem with thinking of this as a power ranking is that it won't be truly accurate until we get a lot more data.* Right now, it's only good for reflecting immediate improvement week to week in how people perform against each other.

*Although it is hard not to care in the short term. But honestly, I just see this as an excuse for us to play. A good number of us have gotten together 2-3 times now in ten days. That's unheard of (and awesome). I'd throw my score in the street and do the river dance on its dessicated corpse if it meant we could play together more often.

"The Pillsbury Doughboy’s name is Poppin’ Fresh. He has a wife, Poppie Fresh, and two kids, Popper and Bun Bun."
lol

Based on this post and video
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5543959&postcount=9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2cOUEL9uic

it seems like you have two edge grab boxes, and if both of them are touching the edge, you can't grab it. This only happens when you're too deep into Battlefield's edge, so I can now understand the tip to not hold forward when your up-b (like Falcon or Peach's) is about to hit the edge. It gives you a better chance of not riding up all in the ledge's business and getting Battlefielded. Try to space your recovery so you actually grab the ledge instead of relying on insta-grab like with every other stage I guess? Don't know what to tell the spacies who up-b horizontally into the ledge though. Sometimes you grab it, sometimes you don't. Although I'm thinking that has more to do with missing the ledge entirely (small as it is on Battlefield). You're firefoxing into that short slanted chunk under BF's edge instead of the little pointy top there that is the ledge itself. Side B is usually still good because it can grab the edge from a thousand miles below.

I hope I'm interpreting this right, because it almost makes getting Battlefielded manageable. Stupid annoying blemish on the best stage >:[

Raven_Knight

Smash Rookie
ELO says it all I guess.

It's official, RVN > TMH

and I'm number 2 in the state

awww yeah sonnnnn me and clay with dem top two spots.

But in all honesty, I think ELO is jacked. I don't really like it, it doesn't account for alot of things and isn't an accurate representation of skill, else Arby would be at the top. Also, I've decided with much contemplation that I'm probably gonna have to move to the more casual side of melee, due to time constraints and obligations that I'm having more and more these days. But I'll still play with you guys for fun here and there. I should still be able to keep up to some extent. I bet I'll still be winning even though I never play ;)

Sorry about Michigan State beating Michigan twins :(
very very annoyed about that game.
Oh well, hopefully at least the Patriots will beat the Cowboys

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Elo is a very intricate, non biased way to determine a players skill and represent it with a number. So G. Vice, simply by saying Arby is the best shows bias. Elo only cares about who you beat and who you lost to. So if Arby really is the best, it'll show in the numbers with time.

:phone:

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Y6SuATsMg80#t=29s

Garbage day!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skullgirls
This game sounds cool. Developed by Mike Z, composed by the person who did all the Castlevania games, gameplay like a mix of CvS2 and MvC2, unique flavor, emphasis on balance, uses GGPO. The easier inputs thing is probably universally good but personally bad imo.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-general-skullgirls/721780
Kneesocks costume. Oooh the possibilities.

The character voiced by Cristina Vee has Potemkin's anti-projectile flick. I see you, Mike Z!

Speaking of which, I played Guilty Gear with the twins (owned those fools) and the very first thing I did was dash back Potemkin Buster their approach at the start of the round. Satisfaction guaranteed by George Zimmer himself ;)

Seifersythe

Smash Apprentice
Holy crap, this UltraSurf thing is amazing. Guess where I'm posting this from?

Also, I heard about Skullgirls awhile ago, but had no idea that it had such an emphases on new competive mechanics. How cool.

We absolutly must have some Blazblue tommorrow. And Spice and Wolf.
It's completely shallow, but I'm a little bit turned off by the name. I'll get over it.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Holy crap, this UltraSurf thing is amazing. Guess where I'm posting this from?

Also, I heard about Skullgirls awhile ago, but had no idea that it had such an emphases on new competive mechanics. How cool.

We absolutly must have some Blazblue tommorrow. And Spice and Wolf.
It's completely shallow, but I'm a little bit turned off by the name. I'll get over it.
This sounds like my favorite day ever.

Love me some Blazblue, and love me some Spice and Wolf (Wolf and Spice)

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
LOL Toast

"Which one's Spice?"

Hey Seif, you might like this Woo guy a little more (or at least remember who he is when we talk about him now)

"feel like trigun had everything to top it [cowboy bebop] except for music"

wait nvm

"ugh
what was a big waste of time
was watching gurren lagann
such a waste of time"

1 for 2 you can't win 'em all

I can do stuff today after my midterm from 4 to 6. I'll be tired, so we can do a little and then do a lot Tuesday night when I'll have no homework or class the next day.

Seifersythe

Smash Apprentice
Sounds good.

Also, I have no illusions that Bebop is the better show. The reason I love Trigun is the reasonance it had with me and the way it severely changed my worldview.

Also the fact that I still believe Vash to be one of the most complex and interesting characters I've ever seen.

That said, Bebop has it completely outclassed by pretty much any measurable metric. Any fool can see that.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Vash and Wolfwood are way better characters than anyone in Bebop. Or at least, they fill the role better. Bebop's characters are the same at the end as they are at the beginning, and the realization of this is basically the point of the show. Their adventures serve to inform us, not to develop them. Even what little development there is gets thrown out the window within an episode (near the end). All of their lives suck, and that's the end of it. Very powerful message, but it sacrifices character and plot (if you consider it a sacrifice) for that theme. So Trigun can have it beat in that regard.

Well I guess Faye is developed, but that only brings the main idea home harder at the end (in regards to Spike and her/Jet). The idea that sometimes things just aren't going to work out, that there is no happy ending.

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
So I was kind of worrying over what topic and professor to do my experimental research and honors project with. I've been putting off going to find a professor for a while now when suddenly, Dr. Plymel and Dr. Knight bring to me a major patent worthy conjoined project they needed one of the better biology students to do with them.

I love it when my procrastination pays off.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdj7-izhu4A

Amazing song. Mostly for Arby since he's my only fellow Katy Perry fan.

Also Arby, every time I play you I realize how our roles have changed. I used to beat you handily, and now it seems the shoe is on the other foot. For that my friend...kudos. You're good. And there's no more denying that I don't beat you as much as you beat me. It really does feel like I'm being trolled actually. But when I get away from that, I realize that I still do love this game. So I'm gonna keep playing when I have time. And hopefully I'll be able to keep up somewhat, and I'll at least make you sweat since I can't sack you no more.

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
Katy Perry is great; Firework is probably my all time favorite song.

In other news it looks like I won't be making it to MO this weekend...working in mayflower is the worst.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdj7-izhu4A

Amazing song. Mostly for Arby since he's my only fellow Katy Perry fan.

Also Arby, every time I play you I realize how our roles have changed. I used to beat you handily, and now it seems the shoe is on the other foot. For that my friend...kudos. You're good. And there's no more denying that I don't beat you as much as you beat me. It really does feel like I'm being trolled actually. But when I get away from that, I realize that I still do love this game. So I'm gonna keep playing when I have time. And hopefully I'll be able to keep up somewhat, and I'll at least make you sweat since I can't sack you no more.
How could you make out to Radiohead??? Still wondering a year later.

good song though

I'd still rather see a bunch of other people on my side of the bracket than you, so don't sweat it too much. That Ganon is scary.

mmm the tomato soup today was like restaurant quality

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Here's the new MBR recommended stagelist in case anyone is wondering (I don't know if it's officially been announced yet):

Singles Stage List

Starters/Neutrals:
  • Yoshi’s Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
Counterpick:
  • Pokemon Stadium
Stage Bans
  • For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
  • For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.
  • For Best of 7 sets, DSRM is enabled for the 7th match, but the winner of the 6th match is allowed one stage ban, to be used after the 6th match is played.

Doubles Stage List

Starters/Neutrals:
  • Yoshi’s Story
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
Counterpick:
  • Brinstar
  • Jungle Japes
  • DK 64
  • Rainbow Cruise
Stage Bans
  • For Best of 3 sets, each team gets 2 stage bans. Teams may ban up to one neutral stage, allowing them to ban one neutral and one CP, or up to two CPs.
  • For Best of 5 sets, each team gets 1 stage ban. Teams may not ban neutrals.
  • For Best of 7 sets, there are no stage bans.
interesting ruleset

No Dave's Stupid Rule means many sets will see BF twice. I... don't mind this.

chamberlin

Smash Ace
Jungle Japes

Aside from DK64, doubles counterpicks have gotten cheezy. Speaking of cheese, I miss my Corneria and Princess Peach's Castle counterpicks I used to have in the olden days :(

Handorin

Smash Hero
Yo bros
So I met this girl in the church I'm at right now here in Heide, Germany, and she went on an exchange program to America? Where Cabot, AR of all places. And I was like, woaaa I happen to know some people there. What a small world.

chamberlin

Smash Ace
Yo bros
So I met this girl in the church I'm at right now here in Heide, Germany, and she went on an exchange program to America? Where Cabot, AR of all places. And I was like, woaaa I happen to know some people there. What a small world.
Handoooooo!

Miss you dude! We need to have another tourny in Memphis at some point (preferably when you're back)

chamberlin

Smash Ace
Two turkey vultures board an airplane, each carrying two dead armadillos. The flight attendant stops them and says, "I'm sorry, gentlemen, we allow only one carrion per passenger."

Top Bottom