• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Seif, do you remember what episode of dexter we stopped at?

Holy crap lupin is amazing. On top of that, the classiness level is intoxicating.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih_gvJPSd7w
Watch the second episode and tell me it isn't Cowboy Bebop in 24 minutes.

Fun fact, the script writer for Bebop (and Champloo, Wolf's Rain, Stand Alone Complex...) did the second episode of Lupin. The director of Bebop and Champloo is also in charge of the music for the show. Not much surprise there :bee:

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Watch the second episode and tell me it isn't Cowboy Bebop in 24 minutes.

Fun fact, the script writer for Bebop (and Champloo, Wolf's Rain, Stand Alone Complex...) did the second episode of Lupin. The director of Bebop and Champloo is also in charge of the music for the show. Not much surprise there :bee:
I will after I watch a whole lot of bad stuff. I'm gonna make sure I go to bed with a good taste in my mouth. I have to saver every episode since it's not very often that this kind of quality comes out.

Vts

Smash Champion
Hmm signing up for classes and it's not looking good for me to graduate in decemeber at all lol.

I'll be short by 3-6 classes depending on which associates i get. Gotta looks of what will transfer where.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Hmm signing up for classes and it's not looking good for me to graduate in decemeber at all lol.

I'll be short by 3-6 classes depending on which associates i get. Gotta looks of what will transfer where.
I am sad that I can't think of a decent reason to stay the spring semester as well. Not sure what people who graduate in December are supposed to do though, since grad school doesn't start until fall and loans come knocking before then. Temporary job I guess, but idk where I'll live or how I'll get to said job. School is 5t0op1d :mad:
TEST YOUR MIGHT

Johnny Cage, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Sonya
MORTAL KOMBAAAT
da duh da dun da duh da duh dun dun

Almost slept for 24 hours. Almost.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Lol, those scumbags stealing my song!!

Oh, and here's a reason to stay around Arby-- "Graces"

Because we won't be done til this fall lol

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I mean Spring 2013. Besides, I bet we'll finish this summer. I'll only have two classes, both online and with easy teachers. Next semester all but one of my classes is online :) Can someone say free timeeee!

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Working on that Pikachu matchup I see. Tron got you scared?

Oh yeah, and I'm not going to play with you for the same reason I don't play other games I like.

Melee.

chamberlin

Smash Ace
p=14355590#post14355590[/url]Oh man, check out this piece of history. Lol apparently Clay lost to that Samus that almost upset my pool at MIST (beating a certain ICs who shall not be named).
He was also a part of Ace's old stomping grounds in Crystal City, Texas, and he used to play Puff. The matches were close, and I remember being very upset losing to him because it was just basic Puff gayness.

I lost out to Viperboy. I remember he won the first match, I won my Stadium counterpick, and he won the 3rd match on FD.

I remember Darkrain's Knee, beating Dmac in pools (a big achievement for me back in the day), and beating Forward in friendlies (he fell for all my gay tricks).

I can literally play back a highlight reel of that tournament in my head. Ahh, the glory days :D

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
LOL, Mango is ranked number 10 in the world at the moment on ssbpd

No not at all.

You don't play other games you like?

Explain

He likes melee SOOO much he simply doesn't want to play games that he doesn't like because they're interfering on melee time.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
LOL, Mango is ranked number 10 in the world at the moment on ssbpd

He likes melee SOOO much he simply doesn't want to play games that he doesn't like because they're interfering on melee time.
I don't want to play games I actually like either. Not since... the melee.

With books or whatever, you're forced to expand your horizons. You simply can't listen to/read/watch the same exact thing every single time. So a part of my book/music/anime/TV show/movie related activities are fed by the urge to experience more good things and complete a backlog. But (well-made) games provide entertainment as part of a feedback loop. Since Melee's depth feels satisfyingly endless, I never need look elsewhere. If I ever grow bored, I know it is either my fault or my opponent's, not the game's. I could rant and rave about how perfect this game is (in part because of its flaws), but suffice to say nothing else compares, so I don't waste my time. ESPECIALLY not with something that tests so many of the same skills like Project M. *When I play other stuff, it is for social reasons (Puzzle League, Tales). Trust that I'd rather be *playing* Melee every time LOL, even if I wouldn't trade those experiences/memories for any game.

RPGs are a special case because they largely focus on story. However, now that Melee fulfills my gaming needs, I'd honestly rather just read a book or something. I'm only looking at Skies of Arcadia because I'm forcing myself to. Absolutely zero passion.

The rankings get out of sorts in between recalculations. Lots of people move lots of places.

So apparently there's a national crisis in education right now. I'm not talking about funding either. It's a general move towards eliminating the humanities, and Arkansas is one of the worst offenders. Already, recipients of the lottery scholarship are given precedence for being science and business majors over those in the humanities. The discipline as a whole is at risk though. Literature, philosophy, history, the arts... they want to cut them all wholesale from schools.

This bias towards "practical" disciplines runs deep in modern society. It's evident even among academics, with science and math snobs lording it over the lowly humanities students (ASMSA!). It's an old problem too - Heidegger was writing all about it a century ago. He said science is just one methodology of gaining knowledge. Religion and philosophy are equally viable alternatives that are useful because they provide entirely different information. But in modern times, science has instrumentalized knowledge as merely a means to an end.

However, just because a tool is at hand doesn't mean it should be used. An easy example is medical ethics. My professor knows doctors at UAMS who believe no one has the right to forgo technology in their own treatment. Seems like this is another national trend. Something like that could never and should never be answered by science alone. By their methodology, the answer is obvious (the same those doctors arrive at). Business ethics, and really any ethical question, are strong counter-arguments as well. All kinds of BS can be justified through mechanical reasoning (a quick peak at recent history validates this). Not to mention entertainment and any attempt at personal growth, whether through the written, sung, crafted, or performed word. History and psychology defend themselves.

These are dark times for education indeed, and glorious sunshiney days for medicine. Why didn't I follow my brain instead of my heart!

Seifersythe

Smash Apprentice
The sad truth is that we're far behind as a nation on the practical degrees. I expect they're trying to incentivise the practical side and force the scale back with brute force. It is a real issue, but there seems to be no easy solution.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Their solution would undermine everything education has meant since the Renaissance. It's... barbaric.

I think our generation will produce plenty of those degrees. It's anecdotal, but likely three quarters of the people I went to school with are now studying in the sciences. It's partly our upbringing with Bill Nye and Ms. Frizzle, but simple practicality is also at work. Everyone knows where the money is (*hint* not the humanities).

Raven_Knight

Smash Rookie
Their solution would undermine everything education has meant since the Renaissance. It's... barbaric.

I think our generation will produce plenty of those degrees. It's anecdotal, but likely three quarters of the people I went to school with are now studying in the sciences. It's partly our upbringing with Bill Nye and Ms. Frizzle, but simple practicality is also at work. Everyone knows where the money is (*hint* not the humanities).
Tell that to Rowling
BTW's
If you know a foreign language in any of the key 6 languages (including Russian), you can get a job right out of undergraduate from the government starting at 80,000. If you get a master's it starts at 100,000.

Vts

Smash Champion
Time is the only distance to the artist and the masterpiece
Running around our business, explaining what I should've picked
Sitting in a single chair with papers on the wall
Twiddling your rubber thumbs in a sea of alphabetical

Let your heart break in pain you'll find the truth
Let your mind escape the burden of logic and proof

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Time is the only distance to the artist and the masterpiece
Running around our business, explaining what I should've picked
Sitting in a single chair with papers on the wall
Twiddling your rubber thumbs in a sea of alphabetical

Let your heart break in pain you'll find the truth
Let your mind escape the burden of logic and proof
No no, this isn't the sound of animals fighting. In fact, the llama and duck have been known to cohabitate quite peacefully.
I don't do humanities cause I'm not a human and I can't remember anything long enough to get a good test grade.
You remember what you care about.

You're just an opposite case of all the humanities majors who suck big llama balls at math and science.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
A placeholder for MY AWESOME JOKE so you post spammers couldn't spam my place out of line.
Spam spam spam wonderful spam!

Egg, bacon, sausage and spam
Spam, bacon, sausage and spam
Spam, egg, spam, spam, bacon and spam
Spam, spam, spam, egg and spam
Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans, spam, spam, spam and spam
Or Lobster Thermidor aux crevettes with a mornay sauce, served in a provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and a fried egg on top and spam

Top Bottom