• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Artesia/Cerritos (562) Tournament 5/31!! ITS HAPPENING

Oscular

Smash Journeyman
Edit: All updates will be posted at the very end of this post so you guys don't have to look around for new info.

Read this post again about 3-5 days or even right before you leave; I might have added little details that aren't in the updates section at the bottom of this post.

AiB cross post: http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=10710

Keep in mind this is my first tourny that I'm hosting...so sorry if I make mistakes

NO DRUGS/ALCOHOL IN THE BUILDING.

Date: May 31st

Address: 17721 Norwalk blvd. Artesia, CA 90701. I live in an apartment/townhouse and the building we're using is in the pool area (no swimming sorry), and it's not that big, so please, if you live pretty far away, don't come out of your way to come, this is my first tourny and I don't want chaos and death everywhere. I'm not sure what the capacity is, so after this tourny I'll be able to make better judgments.

Time: 12:00 Singles starts, I will get there at around 10-11, so if you have T.V's or Wiis please try to come before it starts (more on that later) If you plan on being late, call me ahead of time so I can work something out. I'll find out what time we have to be out of there, but from my guess I would say around 9pm-11pm is the latest we can stay, but that should be more than enough time to finish this and maybe have some friendlies at the end or something.

Price: $6 Brawl Singles, $12 Brawl Doubles (if we have time for it). Please bring $1 bills, I won't that enough change for everyone's $10 or $20 bill.

Venue Fee: NO VENUE FEE AS LONG AS BUILDING IS KEPT CLEAN!!! I will allow food inside, but please try to eat on the tables so you don't spill anything on the floor.

If I have to end up paying for the venue I WILL be taking it out of the pot, so please don't be stupid and leave all food outside. Also, please keep the noise level down, some of my neighbors complain a lot and if we end up getting kicked out, no refunds. Don't be loud. I'll do my best to warn you guys, but please keep in mind that other people live here too, I don't care if wavedashing is discovered (well, I do, but you know what I mean).

A note on the price: I will be taking $1 out of the singles fees and $2 out of the doubles fee, but this is NOT for me. I will be putting this money aside for a later tournament for free food/drinks or bigger prize money. I'm not sure what everyone's opinion on this is, but I think this sounds like a good idea to me, and besides, $1-2 extra dollars isn't very much to ask (at least I hope not). If very little people show up to this and future tournaments and I know my tournies are just gonna fail, I'll just add it on as prize money to one last tourny and not host any more.

This will mainly be a Brawl Singles tourny, and doubles if we have time (we should, unless a whole bunch of people show up, which I don't think will happen). NO MELEE. I don't care how much you beg me for Melee, I won't have it, sorry, make your own tourny.

Parking: I live in a townhouse, which means that there are gates, so call me at (562) 405-6331 and ask me to open a gate for you. There are basically two main gates: the mailbox gate, which is right next to the mailboxes (duh), and the car gate, which is the gate for cars (again, duh). Since you guys will be coming by car, just wait at the gate for about 5 minutes, and if a car doesn't come by to open it up for you, gimme a call and I'll come open it.

MAKE SURE YOU PARK IN THE VISITORS PARKING SPOTS. Not my fault if you get towed for parking in a reserved space.

Once you're parked and out of the car, go to the first gate AFTER the main car gate. It should be before the first garages you see. I will leave that gate open, so if you see it open, don't let it close behind you. If it's closed, just call me to open it.

If you CANNOT find a visitor's parking spot, then you're out of luck, and you need to park somewhere outside the apartment (across the street or somewhere else), so don't be late. If you do park outside, come to the mailbox gate and if it isn't already opened, call me.

Now that may seem confusing, so here's a extremely detailed overview map to help you with the parking situation:

Note: Garage side is ONE WAY. Don't kill yourself at my tourny.

And make sure you know which gate is the exit and entrance one.

Ok, You come in on the right side, wait at the Main gate and if no one comes, call me. After you find a parking spot, go to the GREEN X (or the mailbox gate if you parked outside) and open the gate (if it's locked call me). The blue X's are other gates, but try to go to the green one to eliminate confusion. After that make your way to the venue (fun house). It's extremely hard to miss (it's in the middle of the whole complex) unless you're blind and deaf, so no johns.

Don't be intimidated by my long paragraphs and detailed map, I'm making this bigger than it should be, you shouldn't have much problem with the whole parking/getting here situation. Again, call me if you have questions.

Set-ups: YOU LIEK FAST TOURNIEZ? THEN BRING TV'S/WIIS K? If you can only bring one thing rather than both, that's fine, bring it anyways. I will have around 3 setups, but I'm not sure if that will have the tourny go as fast as I'd like it to.

If you can bring anything, say so here and tell me what you're bringing. No waived fees for this, sorry, but this is a small enough tournament as it is, and we need the pot to be as big as possible.

T.V's:

1. Kevin
2. Kevin
3. Kevin
4. Julian
More if ppl bring

Wii's:

1. Kevin
2. Kevin
3. Kevin
4. Julian
5. Julian
More if ppl bring

I really hope this tournament doesn't get too big, so 4-5 setups should be enough.

K, a summary of important things for you short term memory people (everyone):

1. Msg me if you can help run the tourny
2. Try not to be late; if it can't be helped, call me.
3. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. Unless you don't like prize money or future tournies.
4. NO LOUD. NO.
5. Find a parking spot, go to the green X gate, and make your way in (don't let it close). If it's locked, call me.
6. Plz bring teh stuffz (T.V's/Wiis)
7. Have fun

Phone Number again is (562) 405-6331, call me any time after 3 for questions.

Aaaand I think that's it. If it looks like I'm missing any info just tell me here and good luck to those who come. Hopefully the manager says yes to me renting the place. If not, you just read 10 minutes of crap.

Oh, and don't call me Oscular in RL, it's Kevin. KEVIN, or "hey"

Food: I know you guys will at one point get hungry, so maybe sometime in the middle of the tourny I'll allow a 20-30 min break to go get food, but make sure to come back as soon as possible (you can to-go it and eat here).

If you want directions to any of these places, ask me and I'll probably ask someone who knows the street names because I don't (unless I can direct you by pointing)

Here are some of the food joints nearby, just make sure to tell me before you leave so I can stall your match. If you guys want, I could ask Sonora's (good Mexican food place) to close late (they usually close at around) but I'm gonna need almost everyone to go eat there for them to wanna stay later. You won't be disappointed with their food though, trust me. Just post telling me if you wanna go after the tourny (try not to eat a lot during the tourny then so you can eat there).
Subway
7-11 (2 hot dogs for $2 kk)
Sonoras (really good Mexican food place)
Boba place (forgot the name)
random donut shop
Jollibees (idk what they serve, never ate there)
Burger King (maybe...it's kinda far)
Taco Bell (also kinda far)
Papa Johns/Dominos (you shoulda call first and pickup later)
Chipotle (AMG CHIPOTLE!?!?!)
McDonalds
Jack in the Box
Wendys
KFC
Scotty's (burger place)
many many food joints in the towncenter (Starbucks, Rubios, etc)
many many food joints at the mall (it's the mall, cmon)

Rules:

- 3 stock (maybe 4 stock for grand finals, just wanna try it out to see how that goes, and it also depends on the time. If anyone disagrees, post why)
- 8 minutes
- No items
- Best 2 out of 3, 3 out of 5 for finals (losers and winners too depending on time)
- First pick can be double blind if you want.
- Pick a neutral map you both agree on (some Wii's might not have the random feature)
- After first round, winner picks character, loser picks character, and then loser picks stage
- BYOC, I don't have extras. Use wireless/ Wiimotes at your own risk.

Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
(Lylat Cruise?)

Counterpicks:
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Corneria
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Ranbow Cruise
Pirate Ship
Green Greens
Pokemon Stadium 1

If I'm missing any stages, or if any of the stages shouldn't be there, post and say why so I can add/take off the stages.

-Update: No venue fee, so we're havning the extra $1-2, sry if you don't like it, but it's better than a venue fee I guess.

-Update: We're doing doubles first, I think we should have enough time.

-Update: Food will be allowed inside, but please don't spill anything, especially if you have chips or something.

-Update: If you guys want, I could ask Sonora's (good Mexican food place) to close late (they usually close at around) but I'm gonna need almost everyone to go eat there for them to wanna stay later. You won't be disappointed with their food though, trust me. Just post telling me if you wanna go after the tourny (try not to eat a lot during the tourny then so you can eat there).

Race

Smash Lord
Nice a local tourney, I think it'll park. . . in front of my house, hahah

anyways yeah, nice detailed explanation and stuff. I really hope this will be successful, anyways if the parking becomes too much of a problem people can just park near my house (It's only about 2 blocks away) I hope It's a good turn out, first tournaments are really a hand full but fun as hell.

Anyways I can guarantee my TV and 2 Wii's So that's no prob. I can even maybe bring another TV. . . maybe

Anyways I'll be glad to help you out. I can come early and help you set up or help you coordinate this. . believe me tourney organizing is really hard work, but it's worth it in the end. . it's fun as hell.

I hope this pushes through

Oscular

Smash Journeyman
yea me too, My friend Brian (the mario/TL guy) is gonna be bringing his laptop so we can do the brackets and all that, but if you wanna come early and help set up and also run the tourny (calling ppl, reporting wins, etc) thats cool too. Just call me before you come to make sure that I'm there setting up.

Oscular

Smash Journeyman
you forgot del taco. . .

what's the ideal attendance?
lol yea, and taco bell too, i never eat there so i forgot.

Umm, I don't really know... I have to look inside the place to see how many can come, but I'd say around 20-25, maybe more if people can wait outside so it's not too crowded, but no one so far has said anything about coming to this except you; I'm not sure if that's because today's Sunday/Mother's Day and no ones on, or because no one's coming, but we have 3 weeks to see.

SENG

Smash Journeyman
u should add rainbow cruise to counter picks and take out Luigi's mansion. O and btw in IMO i think IF you do have to charge a venue fee u shouldn't charge the 1 dollar for singles and 2 dollar for doubles. the extra money that will go into the the future POT isn't tat great. If you wanna do a service for the community on a wider range why not just lower the prices.

Oscular

Smash Journeyman
u should add rainbow cruise to counter picks and take out Luigi's mansion. O and btw in IMO i think IF you do have to charge a venue fee u shouldn't charge the 1 dollar for singles and 2 dollar for doubles. the extra money that will go into the the future POT isn't tat great. If you wanna do a service for the community on a wider range why not just lower the prices.
Ok, I hear everyone hates Luigi's Mansion anyways, although I don't see why ranbow cruise is good either.

and yea, if there's a venue fee, I probably won't do that, so hopefully they don't charge. But I think it'll just be fun to have one big tourney where I use that money for either free food/ bigger pot/ or a bigger venue.

SENG

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I hear everyone hates Luigi's Mansion anyways, although I don't see why ranbow cruise is good either.

and yea, if there's a venue fee, I probably won't do that, so hopefully they don't charge. But I think it'll just be fun to have one big tourney where I use that money for either free food/ bigger pot/ or a bigger venue.
rainbow cruise was used in melee why not brawl?

Charoo

Smash Champion
6 of us will be going if singles/teams happen.

edit: put that at allisbrawl.com also. More people will attend.

also, jungle japes have become an even more unbalanced stage than before. Certain chars. CANNOT come back from falling into the water due to their recovery. Olimar also gets owned by the water too. It also promotes camping and give some chars very crazy recovery due to the water and then having an insane recovery too.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I agree 100%... I mean if were going to pay for a venue fee, then why would we lose another sum of money for a future tourney that might now happen? I understand your concept and trying to do something cool for everyone but im sure everyone would rather take there 1-2 dollars and just leave it in the pot. Instant Gratification > Long time Planning...

x.Ta.Z

Smash Rookie
I agree. If you want money to plan for a future tournament, take the money during that tournament.
But regarding this tournament, I'm interested.

Oscular

Smash Journeyman
6 of us will be going if singles/teams happen.

edit: put that at allisbrawl.com also. More people will attend.

also, jungle japes have become an even more unbalanced stage than before. Certain chars. CANNOT come back from falling into the water due to their recovery. Olimar also gets owned by the water too. It also promotes camping and give some chars very crazy recovery due to the water and then having an insane recovery too.
It's already on AiB.

and I'll take of jungle japes then

also, if there IS a venue fee, I won't do charge an extra dollar, but if there isn't, sorry, but it's gonna be there, I just wanna try something new, sorry.

Race

Smash Lord
Coolness. . .

anyways I find that I can hold another tourney myself, setting it 2 weeks from now . . .(A week before this tourney) Garage tourney again. . .lolz

I expect u guys to be there kevin. . .SENG. . .Niko Belic. .

Race

Smash Lord
i'll post info in another thread.

Ey kevin you have a ride to UCLA? I'm thinking of going

Race

Smash Lord
ahh ok, I'll let you know if I'll go or not soon. That way I can just follow you guys, haha

Oscular

Smash Journeyman
K I found out that there isn't gonna be a venue fee, so were having the extra $1-2, sry guys, but its better than $3-5 for a venue fee

AasimirSeraph

Smash Rookie
oh wow this is perfect i live in cerritos right next to whitney high school. ive been looking for a tourney to go to in my area for awhile...THANK GOD FOR YOU GUYS lol

i plan on attending atleast one of the two tourneys in the artesia/cerritos/norwalk area :D

also ill try to help if needed XD

ill also try to bring my friends...they are all pretty **** good too :O

Oscular

Smash Journeyman
I think I'm good on the help, I already got my friend bringing his laptop and another coming early to help set up. If you really wanna help, bring some T.Vs or Wiis (I know some people just can't, so that's ok), or come a little bit early before the tourny starts and tell me that you wanna help and I can have you watching T.Vs and reporting scores, etc

Oscular

Smash Journeyman
crap i might not be able to rent the venue. the owner has to ask to rent it and we're "renting" this house, so technically the person who lived here has to ask to rent it... pretty stupid, but luckily my parents know the ppl who used to live here so we'll see.

Race

Smash Lord
Oscular

5 HIT COMBO!!!!!!!!!!!

-35% Damage!

Anyways, I hope the venue is open, I'm looking forward to this tourney, especially after you took so much time to set it up.

LuCKy

Smash Master
cool im coming...along with maybe 2 or 3 more people

-edit might be delayed?? >_> and neal should come....this is pretty close lol maybe he can help run it

Oscular

Smash Journeyman
I changed a couple of things, so check the updates at the end of the post. Also, I posted this in the updates, but:

If you guys want, I could ask Sonora's (good Mexican food place) to close late (they usually close at around 7) but I'm gonna need almost everyone to go eat there for them to wanna stay later. You won't be disappointed with their food though, trust me. Just post telling me if you wanna go after the tourny (try not to eat a lot during the tourny then so you can eat there).

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Yea i hope this tourney is still a go. Im really looking forward to entering more tourneys :)

Top Bottom