• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
You got grabbed too much like an idiot -.-
And you just left without anybody noticing lol
I didn't mind too much about Jash ditching >.>

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
You got grabbed too much like an idiot -.-
And you just left without anybody noticing lol
I didn't mind too much about Jash ditching >.>
i got too aggresive...... T-T
besides,i always ban FD cuz that stage is a pile of bull**** but if i banned that he woulda gone to Yi,which is worse
next time ima just go MK on FD,i don't wanna go through that again lol

oh and i rushed out cuz i thought it was like 830 when i lost
but it was only 7 when i checked the train station time lol-.-
plus i was sorta pissed

btw,there's no gauntlet going on

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Brett got 13/25 at the Valentine tournament. Not bad show up for first tourny being hosted, but not so good results. Slaps would have probably gotten top 5.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Blah. I am really tired of two things considering Brawl.

1) Messing up like crazy in games where I'm CLEARLY winning-- causing me to lose a set.

2) Tio tourney organizer SUCKING.

I played Takeurlife (we're the 2 best players at UNT, pretty much) really really early in losers (he screwed up same round I did in winners-- I think something about hosting the tournament made us play differently until we each got a kick in the butt for being stupid). We had an amazing set, really. It just should have happened somewhere around, say... losers semis or quarters or something. I mean, I'm just glad it was a -legitimate- loss, and not just a ****-up against a player I should beat.

But meh. I came out positive on money through moneymatches and whatnot. I played well other than that match in winners. Dallas made a surprise visit... Bwett, UTD Zac, and Sethlon and 2 others all showed up.

I'm just really glad we were able to run a successful tourney. 25 entrants in Brawl, 32 in SF4, and 16 in Blaz. And venue fees perfectly covered all our expenses. And everyone had fun.

Blargh. I played well yesterday in everything but that one set. I'm coming out of this tourney slump soon. Really. I promise.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
ITT: Johns.

So DK as a partner rox, until we get double MK -_-. 1 MK = a-ok, 2 MK = oshoot.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Nice, Mr. Doom...9th place. You've been going to a lot of tournies of late...maybe you should save all that money up and just go to one big tourny...say WHOBO?

Light, what's your WHOBO status?

Also, I'm sorry to say this, but after speaking with Kirk on why he doesn't post much here...it's cause he quit Ike for now. Too busy with life johnz and other stuff (brawl-).

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Light, what's your WHOBO status?
Parents were somewhat against it from the start but are even more so now when I told them the first day of the tourney is on Friday. They really place me going to class above a Smash tournament, though I can't blame them. Assuming I can't make it to this (this seems somewhat likely) what I AM going to do, however, is during the summer when I'm probably going to visit relatives I'm going to do my best to make a stop in Texas on the way there and meet up with as many of you guys as possible. My parents definitely won't be against that since it won't cut into class and it's on the way. I'll be able to go to local tourneys and get better by that time as well :).

Anyway, as per my dream of a huge Ike guide, let's begin by identifying a few things (just to get the direction in which we should begin writing the guide). Think of it as a tiny poll. I have three questions to ask and I want to see what everyone thinks. These questions are just as a determining thing in what direction we should work in. If you think you'll have the time to do some writing on the side for the guide, let me know. It's going to be a fairly long project so you won't have to write a lot at once.

Question 1: Who do you think is Ike's worst match-up and if you had to assign a ratio what would it be? If more than one character is tied for this spot, list them all.

Question 2: What do you think is Ike's best method of getting kills?

Question 3: What do you think is the most important thing for new and old players alike to learn about Ike?

It seems a bit silly, but play along with me, haha.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Question 1: Who do you think is Ike's worst match-up and if you had to assign a ratio what would it be? If more than one character is tied for this spot, list them all.
Falco and Metaknight are my top 2 choices. Out of either of them I'll have to say Metaknight. 30:70.

U-Smash mindgames and proper use of F-tilt. B-air for edgeguarding works too but it's probably not the best.

Question 3: What do you think is the most important thing for new and old players alike to learn about Ike?
If you're using Ike, a character with low options, knowing what works and what doesn't work per match-up is the main make-or-break for this character.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Nice, Mr. Doom...9th place. You've been going to a lot of tournies of late...maybe you should save all that money up and just go to one big tourny...say WHOBO?
I'd love to go to WHOBO, but I can't because it's on Easter weekend. NO KOASTv3 is supposed to be a big tournament, though.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
dont know if my opinion matters or not...

question 1. falco: really bad

question 2. making people airdodge into your up smash (its soooooo stupid)

question 3. %s when certain things will and wont work (combat walking, jab uptilt, back throw dash attack)

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
Imo, it is D3 and MK. Both I would say is 70:30

Usmash is pretty common for kills, but in a serious tourney match I would think it to be Utilt, Fair, or Bair. Those I would say are the safest KILLING moves and therefore the best to use.

I think it would be knowing how specifically to deal with certain matchups or Killing %s for commonly killing moves. Matchup knowledge is more important than any grab release, combo, or spike. It basically tells you how to win, unless your like Niddo and can't apply it worth ****. Lol <3 Niddo :chuckle:

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I like this idea of a big Ike guide, so I'll help out.

I would have to agree with HeroMystic here that MK (at 30:70) is Ike's worst match-up. Olimar and Falco are close but I haven't found any outstanding things in those match-ups that make them as tough as MK.

My preferred method is with either Usmash on a bait/prediction or Utilt after a jab (Utilt as a punisher works too but you might as well use Usmash for that). I think since it can be risky to venture off-stage against some characters as Ike, vertical KOing on-stage is his best option, and it works pretty well for me.

Oh god... there are so many things I go over when I critique, I don't know what single key thing would be the most important. Although, I guess proper spacing encompasses a lot and it's certainly important no matter what character you're playing. So yah, I'll go with spacing, if you don't space Ike's aerials properly on a consistent basis, you won't be winning any match-ups.

:034:

Guilhe

Smash Ace
MK, by a wide range over Olimar. I don’t know which ratio I would assign, but if the MK abuses his OoS options then that’s it. You can’t touch him.

Nair and jab setups for Utilt or Bair, Ftilt is also very good. Throwing the opponent offstage and capitalizing on their recovery from the ledge. Ike is very good at interrupting recoveries from the ledge.

Nair is Ike’s best move, abuse it whenever possible. Another thing that I’ve never seen American Ikes do is use his boosted pivot grabs. It’s a nice retreating move, he slides a lot and his grab range is boosted as to create a collision bubble beyond his arm’s reach. With grab -> Bthrow you can throw the opponent offstage from anywhere and capitalize from their recovery from the ledge to rack up damage.

EDIT: Also, Ike can plank and play very gay.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Palpi, Jab-Utilt is how I get a significant portion of my kills in several match-ups. Including Marth. I mean good Marth with good DI and knows when he can hit between jabs. Learn how and when to do it instead of saying it will never happen.

Question 1? MK is the worst MU. Worse than 7:3.

Question 2? Bait air dodges, spot dodges, or rolls, and punish with Usmash. A LOT of my kills come from Usmash.

Question 3? % for Bthrow-Dash attack. Also, which characters fall easily into jab -> (attack) combos/ how to follow up single jabs (use full combo, Bair, Utilt, Grab, react to someone who spotdodges after jabs, etc).

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
Palpi, Jab-Utilt is how I get a significant portion of my kills in several match-ups. Including Marth. I mean good Marth with good DI and knows when he can hit between jabs. Learn how and when to do it instead of saying it will never happen.

Yeah, It is fun to punish Marths that try and DI up to attack Ike with a Fair or Dolphin Slash. Especially if they try Dolphin Slash, you can just shield it and then give them a Fsmash to the face! That is also a good thing to learn, other player's reactions to your jabs. (DI, attacks, etc.)

-RedX-

Smash Lord
MK, 30:70 or worse.
Jab->Utilt, a fresh Fair, baiting rolls/airdodges with Usmash and Bair whenever you can punish and KO with it.
Ike is a basically a character who's about punishing and predicting your opponent's actions. Jab is Ike's best option on the ground, use them to refresh your kill moves, use them as a punisher, and as a GTFO move.
All of Ike's B moves are VERY situational(on the ground, they all suck), don't bother using these unless you know it'll help and/or be safe to use in certain situations.
Nair/Fair shouldn't be blindly used, they should always be retreated(IMO) and spaced.
Ike's grab game should mainly involve Bthrow->Dash Attack since it's a true combo on like half the cast.(wish we had a list ~_~)

I think those are the most important, couldn't think of the single-most important thing >.>

theeboredone

Smash Legend
EDIT: Also, Ike can plank and play very gay.
WTF, Ike at best is just an average planker. Yea his aether is hard to hit, but a lot of characters can punish Ike's aether pretty badly. Not to mention you can only aether 4-5 times in a row before falling past the edge and sd'ing.

There are a lot of characters that can hinder Ike's planking...

Fox: Lasers and Up-Smash
Falco: Lasers and Reflector
G&W: His own recovery
Ness: PK Lightning, Fire, D-Air spike.
Lucas: Same
Wolf: Laser and Spike
MK: No explanation required.
DK: F-smash and DK punch. Also could probably spike you with D-air.
Yoshi: If you don't aether right, he can grab release you.
Ike: F-air, B-air, D-tilt, w/e the hell you wanna do.
Marth: Counter
Bowser: Fire
Lucario: His projectile move
Ganon: D-air spike
Mario: Water gun
Squirttle: Same
Charizard: Fire
Peach: Vegetables from above.

Some are more difficult than others, but point being, Ike's planking abilities aren't great. They aren't absolute compared to G&W or MK.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
As long as the initial hit of aether moves forward, and you move back while rising, a lot of the non-projectile attacks on aether should not hit unless they're very fast or just hovering above you, as long as there isn't a lip like FD where you can't bring your aether forward that much.

+ Some of those require some setup. Even though Ike can get hit by lots of things in aether, he can prevent a good number of those without lazors or fast projetiles.

Ike isn't that great at camping the ledge, but at times against certain characters it could be useful when you have the stock or percent lead.

@ Mr. Doom: Nice! You've been going to tourneys pretty much every week?

Definitely MK. Just from playing other players, I see MK having a noticeably larger advantage than our other disadvantaged matchups. I'm not very good with putting matchup ratios... Probably 30:70? I don't think anyone is tied for that spot.

It depends a lot on which character we play. His easiest kill move is probably upsmash because not many characters are willing to challenge it, but tilts (-dilt) and bair also work. Whatever that's easiest to land.

Ike has things that he should do and should not do pretty well defined in many different situations. Knowing that, and knowing Ike's weaknesses can help you assess what actions your opponent may take. Know your character. Be comfortable with your character's movements.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I'm sorry, PX. :( I'm pretty sure I'll get a chance to jab you again.

San: Yep, I have. And I'll be attending Phase 6, perhaps some tournament on the last weekend of February, HOBO 23, and NK3. Back-to-back, yeah.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
LOL gl Mr. Doom =D I like hype.

On an unrelated note... Anyone know how reliable it is to cancel opponent's attacks with jab (and occasionally utilt) I do it lots of times on accident and sometimes on purpose against lots of characters tilts and sometimes smashes. Just wondering if anyone finds it useful at all =/

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I only know how to jab out Sonic's spindashes purposely =/
And maybe it's useful to interrupt Falco's/Fox's sideB when they recover.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
LOL gl Mr. Doom =D I like hype.

On an unrelated note... Anyone know how reliable it is to cancel opponent's attacks with jab (and occasionally utilt) I do it lots of times on accident and sometimes on purpose against lots of characters tilts and sometimes smashes. Just wondering if anyone finds it useful at all =/
It takes out 2 of Luigi's main approaches, Jab cancels fireball and his spinning tornado approach. Witch pretty much leaves him with Dair approach which you can see coming and probably hit with Utilt since I believe it out prioritizes it.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Thanks, San, for the support. You can jab Snake out of mortar slide, to answer your question. Also, if MK's whornado is on the ground, you can clash with jab. But I don't see the point because you have other options you could do while MK is in tornado.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Thanks for the responses. I didn't know about Luigi's down B o_O, it sounds pretty useful. I'm more afraid of Luigi getting *too close than his aerials =p. I know it's not that difficult to jab ICs spinning sideB, too.

Is timing jab on snake's mortar slide difficult? I just had a habit of shielding it. Same with sonic's spin dashes. MK's tornado has always eaten my jab up without fail, so it's hard for me to grasp it.

Nado, I've just learned how easy it is to uptilt it or bair (never really came across my mind most of the time). Jab? Never worked. Jab is usually what gets me caught in nadoes -_-

The reason I posted that last question is because I accidentally clanked with MK's glide attack with jab and was like "hmm, could this be useful vs other attacks? What attacks could this potentially be useful for?" And I remember the countless times I clanked with tilts and smashes against certain characters.

Because Ike has so much range, there has to be at least a few ways we can utilize his range that other characters are unable to accomplish. I think Ike's second jab is pretty useful against lower aerial attacks in a pinch, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom