• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
pretty much any ground move that does less than 14% clanks with jab.

you should do it more guy, its madd good. you can pretty much **** most kinds of ground approaches. but who approachs on the ground mainly?

nado is weird because it translates from ground to air so easily and seamlessly.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
A_B, I think it's easier/better to interrupt with jab, really.

Slaps, powershielding the fireball is a much better idea than jabbing it, as far as I'm concerned. Or you can avoid it altogether.

I think I'd say more, but I am tired and lost track of my thoughts.

/awake

-RedX-

Smash Lord
pretty much any ground move that does less than 14% clanks with jab.
I think Ike's jab can clash with Falcon's Punch lol

Actually, according to NinjaLink, priority is a myth in Brawl.
Any attack that has "clanking" properties will clash with other attacks as long as hurtboxes don't come into contact with hitboxes. And any attack that has "transcendent" properties(Ike's aerials) will beat out anything that has clanking properties.
So the way for Ike's jab to clash with other attacks is make sure Ike's hurtbox during jab doesn't make contact with the hitbox of the opposing attack(if it's not transcendent at least).

Yea, that's just what I learned today. :D

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
There's no priority in the air, on the ground there is.

Case in point: Luigi's ftilt, while fully vulnerable, will always beat out Wario's fsmash (excluding super armor) :(

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I've always used Jab against Snake's mortar slide, it makes them think twice about when they use it, and against Snakes who have a habit of using it too much, it can really help rack damage. In fact if you see it coming, or can bait it, just hold down A and it's pretty much guaranteed to stop it.

I don't see much point in jabbing projectiles that can just be powershielded. In fact you'd have to see most attacks coming for awhile in order to clank jab with them purposely. It would certainly be useful for close-range attacks on the ground because you could then immediately jab again faster than most characters could do something... and an unexpected clank sometimes throws people off.

I just Fsmash MK out of nado
:ohwell:

:034:

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I think Ike's jab can clash with Falcon's Punch lol

Actually, according to NinjaLink, priority is a myth in Brawl.
Any attack that has "clanking" properties will clash with other attacks as long as hurtboxes don't come into contact with hitboxes. And any attack that has "transcendent" properties(Ike's aerials) will beat out anything that has clanking properties.
So the way for Ike's jab to clash with other attacks is make sure Ike's hurtbox during jab doesn't make contact with the hitbox of the opposing attack(if it's not transcendent at least).

Yea, that's just what I learned today. :D
There's no priority in the air, on the ground there is.

Case in point: Luigi's ftilt, while fully vulnerable, will always beat out Wario's fsmash (excluding super armor) :(
This stuff is interesting. I never really thought about that before, but now that I'm thinking... it's completely true.

Nysyarc, good MKs won't allow themselves to be hit by Fsmash out of their 'nado. Smart spacing coupled with simple reaction time allows them to dodge it easily. Best bet is an aerial or, assuming you're not below the tornado, a counter.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Nysyarc, good MKs won't allow themselves to be hit by Fsmash out of their 'nado. Smart spacing coupled with simple reaction time allows them to dodge it easily. Best bet is an aerial or, assuming you're not below the tornado, a counter.
Lol, I was mostly joking. I have done it a few times before though, and keep in mind that the best MK in my region CPd Delfino on me at the last tourney and lost by 2 stocks... there are some good players here but none of them main MK.

•Col•

Smash Champion
In November I almost beat Ally's Falcon with my Ike....... And until the day beforehand, I hadn't played Brawl in months....

Dunno what's up with that.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
WTF, Ike at best is just an average planker. Yea his aether is hard to hit, but a lot of characters can punish Ike's aether pretty badly. Not to mention you can only aether 4-5 times in a row before falling past the edge and sd'ing.
Ike isn't that great at camping the ledge, but at times against certain characters it could be useful when you have the stock or percent lead.
This. Ike is average at planking, surely. But, it doesn't mean that he cannot plank. I'm not talking specifically about planking at the ledge but also water planking and platform planking. Here in Brazil the Ike player Zero took out a Falco by platform planking for his whole last stock. He did not get hit once, then the Falco started doing stupid **** as the last minute started counting and got himself killed. I planked a DDD at Delphino Plaza (through ledge planking and platform camping) and only got grabbed twice, got 2 stocked at his counterpick and then planked him even harder at Pirate Ship. I won this set basically for planking, as Ike.

tl;dr: It can be abused.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
its not always better to jab for example if snake boost smashes to you on ps1 and a wall appears if you grab him you can set up the infinite.

Or at low percents you could try and go for that ken combo thing.

Or in teams you could throw him to your partner and he could throw him back at your fsmash.

then again you could jab grab hmm.....

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
The difference with ike is that aether can be surprisingly helpful at times. It reaches so far from battlefield, and reverse aether denies characters running offstage (but you're more vulnerable to getting hit if you miss reverse aether).

It shouldn't be hard to get a couple tens of % or more if you get a stock lead but have very high percent damage.

What can DDD do against a ledge camping Ike without ending up getting reverse aethered? (non FD where your aether can actually reach far)

somewhat falco, too?

Snake, I just blow up nades with aether or attempt to instathrow them from ledge if he throws early.

Diddy, don't think it's that effective..

MK no thx.

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
Air planking with Fair is useful as well if the opponent is at high percent except if he jumps too high. ^_^

I've got problems with the Wolf match-up. The Wolf he cancels out some of my attacks with Reflector effectively and he is a monster in the air. In fact I need a little help against a very good Wolf player.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You guys don't have a ledgegrab limit or something? >.>
This is what I was thinking. I know in Texas, there is a certain amount of times you can regrab the ledge before you have to get back onto stage. Even if what Guilhe said about opponents such as Falco is true, they can start abusing you once you are forced to get back onto stage.

Also, I honestly think that Ike's planking abilities are average at best. No way in hell do you time someone out doing that stuff. The opponent has to be mentally ******** with little to no brawl experience for him not be able to figure out a way around Ike's aether. Video of a competent Ike doing it against a competent opponent (one that has the ability to at least do something about the aether), or I stand my ground.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Nyke is tearing up on AiB, showing everyone how to play Ike. Good **** mang, reppin them Maritimes.
Lol, I just played Raz the other day for the first time. It was pretty tough but I came away with the win on Frigate (which he CPd). Now just to get out to a tourney and try and do as well offline as online.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
The difference with ike is that aether can be surprisingly helpful at times. It reaches so far from battlefield, and reverse aether denies characters running offstage (but you're more vulnerable to getting hit if you miss reverse aether).

It shouldn't be hard to get a couple tens of % or more if you get a stock lead but have very high percent damage.

What can DDD do against a ledge camping Ike without ending up getting reverse aethered? (non FD where your aether can actually reach far)

somewhat falco, too?

Snake, I just blow up nades with aether or attempt to instathrow them from ledge if he throws early.

Diddy, don't think it's that effective..

MK no thx.
D3s suction can pull you under the stage, or at least on stage, and he can chuck waddles til he gets a gordo.

Falco's lasers stop aether.

Snake can use nades + nikita and even a c4 if he gets in close enough.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
On stages like BF, DDD can't get close enough to suction from the stage. DDD may be able to bair Ike out of shield unless Ike moves his aether back enough. I'm just guessing, cause kirby can do it.

Falco, I wouldn't just aether when he's on the other side, but when he's close. Falco can just shield, but I'm not sure if he can use reflection and hit Ike's aether out of shield though.

Snake would probably just want to throw nades from afar. if he brings in a nade too close, I can just detonate it. snake can hold a nade and bait an aether and block it so Ike get's hit with it though, but that requires a mistake on Ike's part. C4 would be so hard to hit someone who's competent

Guilhe

Smash Ace
We have a ledgegrab limit: 50 ledgegrabs. I and my tournament organization committee defined it ourselves. Those plankings were made within that limit. I don't have videos of those matches, sorry. There are only brackets and witnesses…

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Bleh, sorry for vanishing for a few days, classes are killing me. I should be back up to my original spam posting rate within a week, I hope!

Anyway I find Ike's ledge planking to be situational but the way I see it it shouldn't be used for timing out the match or anything. It's meant to make the opponent realize "oh ****, I actually have to approach Ike on the ledge because he has the lead?" Then you nick them with Aether a few times and just make your lead bigger.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
****, wifi just got serious.
I am losing to wifi scrubs with bad connections. FML! Lol I am like 8-16 on AiB i played 2 people last night who were horrible but won because they had a large amount of lag, one was a D3/MK that was horrible and one was a luigi that was so predictable but lag made it hard to punish before he got his shield/next attack out. This is what makes me hate wifi lol.

As for ledge grabbing and what not, i find it situational, the only time I will aether on stage is if my opponent is caught in my aether and will get the landing knockback which i find a running shield grab the best followup for. Ike has a 5 aether ledge grab limit before he suicides, and i think all tether characters have a 2-3 tether limit before the tether auto misses. Dallas has a ledge grab limit of 50, as it says in the Phase 6 tourney rules. If only Ike had unlimited Aethers onto the ledge, ike would be hilarious at ledge games etc.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
slaps, first thing you have to do is acclimate yourself to the delay.

if the lag is too bad, you just cancel the match and dont play them.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I am losing to wifi scrubs with bad connections. FML! Lol I am like 8-16 on AiB i played 2 people last night who were horrible but won because they had a large amount of lag, one was a D3/MK that was horrible and one was a luigi that was so predictable but lag made it hard to punish before he got his shield/next attack out. This is what makes me hate wifi lol.
John moar.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
If you are losing to wifi scrubs, then you ain't thinking fast enough. By the time Luigi jumps into the air and approaches you with F-air, you should be releasing shield and mashing for jab. Always think 30 seconds ahead.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I don't plank. I rush, lol. But I will get my opponent used to me getting back up onto the stage in some way to the point that they try to read how I'll get back up onstage and punish that. Often times that's when I catch them with Aether and get free %-- simply because they forget about it against me. I used to play with Aether on the edge too much, and all it did was get me punished. I wouldn't consider planking with it as a very reliable strategy. I mean maybe there's a character out there who can't do anything about it. Somewhere. But I'll think about that later.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I know we had some bad times, but I want everyone to please take the time to give their input on the Mario vs Ike match-up in the Mario boards. We're trying to get as much factual information as possible, and it can't be done without input from Ike mains.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=256410

To avoid looking at gunk, I'll give everyone the most important posts to look at:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9595653&postcount=1191
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9596116&postcount=1194
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9599228&postcount=1205
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9601283&postcount=1208

benaji261!

Smash Ace

As for ledge grabbing and what not, i find it situational, the only time I will aether on stage is if my opponent is caught in my aether and will get the landing knockback which i find a running shield grab the best followup for. Ike has a 5 aether ledge grab limit before he suicides, and i think all tether characters have a 2-3 tether limit before the tether auto misses. Dallas has a ledge grab limit of 50, as it says in the Phase 6 tourney rules. If only Ike had unlimited Aethers onto the ledge, ike would be hilarious at ledge games etc.
slaps, first thing you have to do is acclimate yourself to the delay.

if the lag is too bad, you just cancel the match and dont play them.
I hate ladder, but the only purpose I see in it, for me, is MU practice. I'm not expecting to place high with Ike. I know I won't. I'll even go for sort of laggy matches and try my best. Working with lag can be an MU itself. Otherwise, I'd focus on who I lag with and who I don't and try placing high that way, like KID said. Just give it time Slaps. If you care about placing high, do what KID says. If MU practice, then do whatever.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
I hate ladder, but the only purpose I see in it, for me, is MU practice. I'm not expecting to place high with Ike. I know I won't. I'll even go for sort of laggy matches and try my best. Working with lag can be an MU itself. Otherwise, I'd focus on who I lag with and who I don't and try placing high that way, like KID said. Just give it time Slaps. If you care about placing high, do what KID says. If MU practice, then do whatever.
Yeah I know about lag, I mostly play for experience, like I don't care if i win or lose, but when i lose to complete scrubs only because of the lag it pisses me off. Lol trust me, i probably play the most wifi out of everyone here haha.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
theres no way you play more wifi than san... when he first started placing in tourneys out here, everyone was like, who is this kid? come to find out more people on the aib ladder knew him than people at my tourneys. lol wifi superstar lolz

theeboredone

Smash Legend
theres no way you play more wifi than san... when he first started placing in tourneys out here, everyone was like, who is this kid? come to find out more people on the aib ladder knew him than people at my tourneys. lol wifi superstar lolz
That's pretty much the same story for a lot of people. I made a pretty big splash on my first tourny away from wifi. Let's not forget a guy named Ally used to play wifi all the time before entering tournies.

BTW, I was thinking...since we main one of the manliest characters in the game, we should represent him well. I'm tired of seeing all these Ike mains who are skinny, fat, or just plain out of shape. This is what I expect to happen in the next few months.

Mr. Doom and San: Get better at basketball and be able to dunk. It should be in your genetic code. Go find it.

Brett: **** classical music. Time to hit the gym. Pump that iron. Put on a few lbs.

Penta: Go get laid for heaven's sake.

Kimchi: I'll give you a slide since you take fencing (if I'm not mistaken), but that ain't manly enough. Go take katana lessons along with boxing.

Metroid: You can start by not lurking anymore. Then follow that up with some running. I expect you to be a marathon runner in a few months. It can be done.

Benji: Since you're going to air force sooner or later...I'll give you a slide.

Niddo: You got the beard, and you look like Jesus. But you aren't there just yet. You need to be like Family Guy Jesus and kick *** and take names.

Slaps: Way to represent your name. I have yet to hear a story about you pimp slappin a girl when she said no to you. Get it done.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I don't want to hear things like that coming from someone that breaks a bone or gets injured any time he tries to play a sport, Mustafa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom