• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

bang19

Smash Cadet
combat walking how do you do it? what other at's and strategies would be good for a ike main to know?

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
well you did manage to kill a few grenades with the tip of aether, but then he just started throwing them into the general zone where ike would lift himself up >.<

Nair does sound like a safer option though, but i'll be ****ed if you were punished for just doing nair into a nade

combat walking how do you do it? what other at's and strategies would be good for a ike main to know?
you should watch the vids of san vs ally, alot of where san got good damage in was with very well placed and timed jabs. Heck he even turned around and jabed into grabs or jab canceled. I do the same thing on DDD, i turn around grab/dair/retreat Bair if my opponent somehow finds his way inside me

really the best AT to know for ike is jab canceling and spacing in general + spacing quick draw to close gaps/punish

bladeboys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bladeboys
Good stuff san, I think if you DI the last Ftilt you would be able to come back on the stage. Anyway, the second match watch pretty close !

theeboredone

Smash Legend
When you hold the "A" button (Assuming you are using a GC controller), you will automatically begin to repeat jab. To combat walk, the opponent has to be hit at a certain position or has to accidently influence his movement (Directional Influence aka DI) to where the kick portion of the jab combo does not connect. By keeping hold of the A button, Ike will repeat the first two parts of the jab combo as long as the kick doesn't connect, therefore initiating combat walk.

The beginning of this video explains what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK3FTg2FyXQ

bang19

Smash Cadet
well you did manage to kill a few grenades with the tip of aether, but then he just started throwing them into the general zone where ike would lift himself up >.<

Nair does sound like a safer option though, but i'll be ****ed if you were punished for just doing nair into a nade

you should watch the vids of san vs ally, alot of where san got good damage in was with very well placed and timed jabs. Heck he even turned around and jabed into grabs or jab canceled. I do the same thing on DDD, i turn around grab/dair/retreat Bair if my opponent somehow finds his way inside me

really the best AT to know for ike is jab canceling and spacing in general + spacing quick draw to close gaps/punish
what about combat walking i think thats what its called but it looks like jab cancel into jab but allot faster

bang19

Smash Cadet
When you hold the "A" button (Assuming you are using a GC controller), you will automatically begin to repeat jab. To combat walk, the opponent has to be hit at a certain position or has to accidently influence his movement (Directional Influence aka DI) to where the kick portion of the jab combo does not connect. By keeping hold of the A button, Ike will repeat the first two parts of the jab combo as long as the kick doesn't connect, therefore initiating combat walk.

The beginning of this video explains what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK3FTg2FyXQ
so if i understand u correctly basically u have to catch the person in the air so that the punch will connect but the kick will not or they need to accidentally DI upwards to combat walk?
any good ways to setup combat walking that u can thinking of?

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I said this at VC but don't even go for the up air against characters that fall faster than you do if you know they're going to air dodge, throw it once or twice to cause thre habit then empty hop and go for the up smash, ****'s cash.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
so if i understand u correctly basically u have to catch the person in the air so that the punch will connect but the kick will not or they need to accidentally DI upwards to combat walk?
They don't necessarily need to DI up or be caught in the air. Certain characters fall into the scenario (zelda, ganon, mario are the most common people to catch in the combat walk) due to either floatiness or odd character size. Thing is if someone's smart theyll just aerial you for it (sup peach, zelda, mario, luigi).

theeboredone

Smash Legend
From what Rykoshet said, the only plausible character to combat walk without getting hit is Ganon. However, since he's such a crappy character, not many people use him. Combat walking is super situational, and you shouldn't be looking to set it up in a fight. It should be one of the last things on your mind as it's more of a show off kinda thing than anything else.

If anything, your best chance to set it up in general is to catch an opponent jumping at you. But like I said, they can eventually DI out of it.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I looked up plane fares, and the cheapest I found was a little over $200 with tax, which isn't too bad for now, before prices go up.

There are only a few things in the way:

1. Whether I have school that Friday (or monday??)

I will need to take a flight on thursday and return on sunday. If I have school on Friday, I just need to work my but off with work and excuse myself for that day (not to mention work over the weekend)
If I don't, that'll make things a lot easier

2. cost

I only really have a couple hundred worth to spend right now. I may need to borrow money and get consent from my parents for this whole thing. They've been understanding so far, though.

The biggest thing is I need to order tickets ahead of time before the price goes up.

bang19

Smash Cadet
From what Rykoshet said, the only plausible character to combat walk without getting hit is Ganon. However, since he's such a crappy character, not many people use him. Combat walking is super situational, and you shouldn't be looking to set it up in a fight. It should be one of the last things on your mind as it's more of a show off kinda thing than anything else.

If anything, your best chance to set it up in general is to catch an opponent jumping at you. But like I said, they can eventually DI out of it.
so pretty much i shouldn't even attempt it unless i am up against some one such as ganon or just playen 4 the luls and not tryna play seriously or if i just wanna try to show off
but it can be done on anybody if caught in the right position its just easier to catch some chars in it
am i right?

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
There's no "attempt" to this, it's basically a byproduct of holding A to finish a jab combo and someone happening to be at the right height/distance to get carried by the jab string. There's no reason not to do it when it comes up but either way you're never looking to do it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I looked up plane fares, and the cheapest I found was a little over $200 with tax, which isn't too bad for now, before prices go up.

There are only a few things in the way:

1. Whether I have school that Friday (or monday??)

I will need to take a flight on thursday and return on sunday. If I have school on Friday, I just need to work my but off with work and excuse myself for that day (not to mention work over the weekend)
If I don't, that'll make things a lot easier

2. cost

I only really have a couple hundred worth to spend right now. I may need to borrow money and get consent from my parents for this whole thing. They've been understanding so far, though.

The biggest thing is I need to order tickets ahead of time before the price goes up.
Hm. Well if you feel confident in your ability to win LT and LT dubz. You can get all that money back and then some.

But yea...I mean I'm gonna be skipping school Friday cause pools starts that day. Leaving on Thursday will be weird. So I'm gonna have to study ahead of time. Liek you, I won't come back until Sunday and by then...too tired to even do anything. I will most likely fall behind. I know I have a Calc test that following Wednesday -_-.

If I were you, you should check your syllabus' to see if you have any tests that following week, get the OK from your parents, and go from there on what you're gonna do.

Edit: Also, you might wanna make plans on who is gonna pick you up from the airport LOL.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I just asked my teachers (I have only two classes on Fridays) and they said they'll be lenient on attendance that Friday, seeing as it's Good Friday. So I'm leaving early that morning to get there for pools.
Get in touch with your teachers-- they shouldn't have much inportant crap that they won't be willing to let you make up because of the holiday.
Sunday is all Items/Standard Play, so I can imagine you may or may not want to play that day. Use that day for travel/sleep or travel/homework. Monday (hopefully) shouldn't be a problem if you're good enough with time management, which you should be at Cornell. Then again, I have no idea how things would be at Cornell, so, I'll just leave you to determine that.

Slaps. MM for a fast food meal? (If you lose, I still get to say I paid for San.)

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
If I can't make it friday/all of monday, all I'll be missing is differential equations, discrete math, and my writing seminar.. + I can do hw on the plane ride there.

I've decided to do as much as possible so I can try to come. I'll need to pm Xyro (namesearch anyone?) about this anime matsuri badge thing and registration, after I confirm everything with my parents tomorrow.

benaji261!

Smash Ace
Well this tourney seems expensive and I just wanted to come and have mad friendlies, but it'll probably cost me too much. I don't think I could go.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
*answers summon*

yea go check out the WHOBO 2 thread and on the front page there is a link to the Anime Matsuri Badge that you MUST have(venue fee) in order to get into the venue. Dont buy entry into any other event, ill spot you on that. if you have any more queastions or what ever, PM or summon me once more.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
**** xyro i'm wondering if that 170 w/e $ that was missing last year was cause you gave out to much stuff lol.

Slaps sure seemed to gain confidence after that one phase, your still 3rd ike at best in texas.

So gay i might need another partner now... kirk where you at? i'll buy your badge for you!!

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
I hate 1 dolla money matches. WTF you gonna do with one dolla? Make it 2 at least. You can't even get a dollar sandwich cause with tax, it's 1.08.
ok fine Bored, $2.... If that makes you happy. Its Ike dittos so i didn't think you took an ike ditto MM so seriously.

Slaps. MM for a fast food meal? (If you lose, I still get to say I paid for San.)
What would the fastfood meal consist of? Like a combo meal? Because taco bell has a 10 crunchy/soft taco combo that is like $10 lol

Also, unless other Ikes plan on going to Whobo I am going to find a new teammate for LT and regular teams, because it is impossible to find a partner because of all the uncertainty in people going. If I wait too long then there will be no one left to team with =\ so yeah.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Something on the dollar menu costs $1.08, with taxes, down in Texas? You can get stuff 2 cents cheaper in Kansas.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Well we have crunchy tacos at taco bell for $.89! what now!?!?! lol
Tax or no tax? Wait, I don't think taxes apply to food items under $1. Kansas has crunchy tacos for 89 cents and 5-layer beefy burritos for 99 cents. BEat that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom