• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

asianaussie

Smash Hero
so, about kaillera

i have japanese locale as my non-unicode default (for my clannad and stuff), and any time a non ASCII character appears in the kaillera main chat my chat messes up

the obvious fix is restoring my locale, but is there another way around it?

dandan

Smash Lord
you can run apps with applocale to avoid switching your non unicode default.
however, some apps still require the entire change.

malva00

Smash Master
can anyone tell me why I get more FPS lag in Galaxy when I use glide than when I use jabo (with both normal pjk64 and pj64kve)?

this is when I'm playing by myself

I have no problem running glide offline or in p2p or even in some other servers perhaps

DJRome

Smash Hero
hey, i got a komodo adapter for the n64 to usb and it won't let me calibrate. it does a lot of random button presses. how can i fix this to play online? thanks

The Star King

Smash Hero
Is there any way to prevent, or at least reduce the graphics exceptions caused by Jabo_Direct3D8?

I remember I was playing Frogles several days ago, and he said something like, "Wow first time I got a graphics exception". So apparently he gets them very rarely. I switched from 3D8 because I would get them like every 10 games or so, and I use 3D6 now, but I'm tired of shields being harder to react to and I want to switch back.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I was always told that switching to a different window size and then back at the beginning of the session (that is, after you open up PJ64k but not every time you start a game) did the trick. I rarely remember to do it, but I can't remember it ever not working.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Do I start the ROM first? So open Smash ROM -> change window size -> change it back, every time I open PJ?

If this works, I can't thank you enough.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Is there a way to have the hitbox mode in an emu that allows frame advance? That is either having the hitbox mode as a mupen savestate or having a frame advance pj.

Either way, can someone upload the hitbox mode savestate?

Peek~

Smash Lord
What is the most even matchup in this game? Not counting dittos

Ness vs Yoshi has to be up there

DJRome

Smash Hero
i find link samus even. we've been playing that matchup a lot over the past 4 years and i think it's very even

DJRome

Smash Hero
i compare it a lot to sheik vs falcon in melee. like theoretically "yes" but i don't think it ever works that well in practice. link just dies to any hit really

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I'd give the edge to Yoshi in that match-up.

Ness - Samus match-up springs to mind when talking about even.

Maybe Falcon - Puff too.

With Link - Samus I'd say it depends on the stage. Dreamland/Congo/PC gotta give it to Samus. On Hyrule definitely Link.

DMoogle

A$
Link vs. Samus isn't even close to even. Link has the advantage probably everywhere.

Delay makes a significant difference when it comes to character strength. More delay = less reaction time = extra weight toward characters that don't need as much precision.

DJRome

Smash Hero
well, i meant on console since i can't figure out how to play online yet, but like i said, can link really camp out 5 stocks? maybe on something like hyrule's but it's not consistent i think and plus, i think that samus does quite well on dl and on congo

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i think link is always at a disadvantage on dreamland, his closest match there is probably ness or maybe MAYBE luigi

that's why you strike DL

link can camp for that long easily, there is no question of consistency

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Probably going to be a minority here but I'd say his closest match there is jiggs. Link uair prevents the dair approach and projectiles prevent approach from the ground. Also 0% grab combos from jiggs are often ruined thanks to to the link being able to tech on a platform.

DMoogle

A$
i think link is always at a disadvantage on dreamland, his closest match there is probably ness or maybe MAYBE luigi
Nah, Ness has a solid advantage there. DL isn't that bad for Ness, it's really just a double-edged sword. Ness excels at edgeguarding and getting people off the ledge, but it's also his Achilles' heel. In this case, the former makes the bigger difference.

I've had a really wide variety of experiences with Link vs. Luigi, so it's a difficult match to judge. I'm pretty sure Luigi has the advantage on DL, but I'm not sure how wide the gap is. I think he gets a decent boost in ability from the platforms.

Samus, on the other hand, doesn't really gain that much. I feel like the platforms possibly hurt more than help, so she still has a difficult time approaching Link.

I hate hate hate Link vs. Jiggs matches, whether I'm the Link or the Jiggs. They're just extremely annoying either way.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
How do the platforms hurt more than help Samus though? It allows for dair>plat drop dair shenanigans and general tech chasing. Also it helps her approach in general.

Agreed on everything else.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I don't think Ness has a large advantage. Both die if they get off the edge, and i feel Link has an easier time forcing Ness off, even if Ness's tools for doing so are better. It's something like 55:45 methinks.

Luigi probably does have the advantage.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yoshi (relatively) wrecks Samus lol, it's probably his best match-up. Link also beats Samus. I think Ness-Samus is even.

Falcon Puff is NOT even, Falcon has the advantage without a doubt.

@Peek I know I said I also though Ness Yoshi was even when we played, but tbh I now think Ness has a slight advantage. I could see why you think it's even though.

If you want me to justify something, ask. A large part of my opinions are from personal experience, though.

Robsta

Smash Ace
Can jigglypuff plank?

I swear when I do uair on the edge of the stage it seems exactly like planking.

:phone:

SSBPete

Smash Lord
Yoshi (relatively) wrecks Samus lol, it's probably his best match-up. I think Ness-Samus is even.

@Peek I know I said I also though Ness Yoshi was even when we played, but tbh I now think Ness has a slight advantage. I could see why you think it's even though.
I reckon Yoshi has the advantage on Samus, but probably not his best match up.
And I agree on Ness-Samus being even too.
I don't agree with Ness having an advantage on Yoshi..especially not on Dream Land. If you avoid DJCing into Ness' uptilts you should be fine.

What really? Tips on this matchup?
Space Samus' bair, approach with DJC bair and running attack.
Throw eggs when edge gaurding to pressure the sweetspot then edgehog.
Parries are easiest on Samus too.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Yoshi (relatively) wrecks Samus lol, it's probably his best match-up.
I have personally played enough times vs Kabal and Jaime and I don't find this matchup to be incredibly good for Yoshi. I wouldn't call it a wreck as I believe Yoshi is only > over Samus and not >>. Yoshi has issues comboing Samus. Spamming b -airs doesn't work as Samus has enough range with her b-air to counter this. I also find d-air reads difficult to get out of as Yoshi as Yoshi just doesn't seem have a good get-up function to get away from reads (why I dislike the Ness matchup personally). Samus's n-air also seems quite useful in this matchup.

I find Luigi to be Yoshi's easiest matchup but this might be just me (as Samus might be just you). I find it very easy to out prioritize and out range Luigi. Luigi doesn't have the range Samus has with his b-air.

Also, maybe Jigglypuff is even easier than Samus but I like this matchup a lot so this is most likely bias.

On another note, to the guy who asked:
Can jigglypuff plank?

I swear when I do uair on the edge of the stage it seems exactly like planking.
Jigglypuff does not have the aerial mobility nor the speed/priority with u-air to plank. The only character in smash 64 who can probably plank is Pikachu but this is due to Pikachu's Up B having invincibility frames (but Pikachu's perfected plank/stall is very difficult to do)

Ness and Samus is even
I fully agree with this. I find Samus's only even matchup (along with possibly Jigglypuff) to be Ness.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I have personally played enough times vs Kabal and Jaime and I don't find this matchup to be incredibly good for Yoshi. I wouldn't call it a wreck as I believe Yoshi is only > over Samus and not >>. Yoshi has issues comboing Samus. Spamming b -airs doesn't work as Samus has enough range with her b-air to counter this. I also find d-air reads difficult to get out of as Yoshi as Yoshi just doesn't seem have a good get-up function to get away from reads (why I dislike the Ness matchup personally). Samus's n-air also seems quite useful in this matchup.
I've played it with JaimeHR and Kabal too. Kabal is pretty easy to beat in this match-up. I had a harder time with JaimeHR but that's more of him being a better player.

I think it's >, not >> too. Wreck was probably an exaggeration (I did throw in the "relatively" though), but I still think it's Yoshi's best match-up.

Issues comboing? Samus is like one of the easiest characters to nair chain, and dash attacks are a useful tool too. Maybe Samus doesn't get as combo'd as hard as some of the heavyweights, but it's not a disadvantage when you consider Samus's awful combo game lol. Most characters have issues comboing Samus; in fact, Yoshi is probably one of the better characters at comboing her.

You shouldn't be trying to outrange Samus's bair (although you could use neutral B if you really wanted to). Wait it out slightly outside its range, and attack right after it ends with a dash attack/djc bair.

Parrying can help get out of techchasing situations/pressure situations. Speaking of which, Samus is the easiest character to parry in the game, and has a very hard time against it. I heard you don't even parry, so that may be why you don't find the match-up as easy as I do.

Samus's nair? Wat

I agree with Luigi being pretty advantageous for Yoshi too, probably Yoshi's best match-up after Samus.

I reckon Yoshi has the advantage on Samus, but probably not his best match up.
And I agree on Ness-Samus being even too.
I don't agree with Ness having an advantage on Yoshi..especially not on Dream Land. If you avoid DJCing into Ness' uptilts you should be fine.
What do you think his best match-up is (inb4link)?

Well, I said slight advantage. Most of this is based off both my Samus and Yoshi going pretty even with Peek (on Dreamland btw), and my Yoshi is definitely better. I've also beaten Sheer with Ness, which shouldn't really happen. I did think it was even for a very long time, and I could still see that, so I'm not too adamant on Ness having a slight advantage. I also have more experimenting to do with some stuff.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I do better vs Jaime's Samus than Kabal's. Weird I know.

Yoshi has great horizontal combos vs Samus. Nair chains, dash attacks, f-tilts. Approaching a really good defensive Samus can be annoying though.

Ness/Yoshi is pretty even. Frogles used to beat me like 60/40 back when I was hardcore Yoshi. I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in my recent games vs Peek or Star's Ness. I barely play Yoshi at all anymore compared to what I used to. Star's Ness has beaten me but I'm pretty sure I usually have the advantage. Peek's Ness got the best of me last session like 2-1 but the time before that I think I had a significant advantage.

So I guess I'd say it's even considering Frog is the only Ness that's had a consistent (but small) advantage on me.

The Star King

Smash Hero
No Ness has really had a consistent advantage against me, either. I went pretty back and forth with Peek last time I played him. I think I have the advantage vs Firo. I haven't played Frogles' Ness much. But I still think Ness might have a slight advantage.

Top Bottom