• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

M!nt

Smash Champion
I wasn't trying to make fun of you kero, sorry if it seems that way.
I hate when people do those post rewrites, ****s annoying and unfunny.
love ya anyways Kero.

Shut up Star King.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
kero is actually a backroom troll account
wtf?? thought that was supposed to stay between the backroom guys.. nice one ****. :mad at aa face:

Why would you make fun of Kero's spelling when there's so many other things you can mock

That's just lame guys
starking, if you didnt mean that in a "why make fun of his spelling when you can make fun of almost every other part about him" way, than much love<3 thanks alot.

love ya Kero.

love ya Kero.

love ya Kero.

love ya Kero.

i allways knew. Your post earlier says it all. love you to man ;)

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
kero is actually a backroom troll account

is luigi's tornado hitbox actually really thin prior to the final hit?
He's got three hitboxes during the move. Two by his hands that extend past them a lil bit and on in the middle of his feet. His head is pretty exposed the whole time. The hitboxes definitely grow a bit for the final hit

:phone:

Ninja in Overalls

Smash Apprentice
noob question

hi, im a pretty big noob at this game, and i was just wondering about the best buttons to use for jumping and aerial attacks so as to end this nooby stage of my life.

is it better to use a or r for the aerial attacks? and for z canceling aerial attacks is it better to use r as well? and for jumping is using c or the stick better?

one more thing, i play mario and if there were any guides or videos of good mario players anywhere a link to them would be great.

thanks in advance.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
If I were you, I'd condition myself to use the traditional button layout (A/B for attacking, Z for cancelling, C-buttons for jumping).

Using other buttons for different things is more conditional and you can do more with the aforementioned layout. Although some people swear by using R to attack and cancel, since you can attack and cancel quickly in one shot with one button, but you might make mistakes and do grabs when you don't want to (but if you do, then go for it). I know some people who like R+R for double jump cancels with Yoshi or Ness (double C, double R, ez pz) but it's up to you. A lot of it's muscle memory, so practice practice practice.

Jumping, you should always use the C-buttons, since that's the only way to reliably short hop. Tapped stick jumps are a tiny bit higher, so if you absolutely need that extra height, a stick hop may be in order. It's also easier to use stick jumps as a way to buffer for U-airs, since some beginners have trouble not double jumping with, say Falcon when going for U-air combos.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I really don't agree with saying "you should always use C-buttons" although it's kind of hard to explain why. I use a combination of C-buttons and stick jumping, and... IDK, there a lot of situations where stick jumping just feels better. Like for running full hops (i.e. I want to run left -> full hop double laser out of the tent and the Fox's sideways C-button jump isn't high enough to jump out of the tent) I like to use stick jumps because if you hold forward before you leave the ground during your jump animation, you will get the reduced height, which isn't the case for stick jumping. So you can't really have full forward momentum with a C-button maximum height full hop unless you're frame-perfect and press forward the frame you leave the ground. Which is annoying for situations like if the sideways C-button jump of your character isn't high enough to land on a Dreamland platform, for example.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
Like for running full hops (i.e. I want to run left -> full hop double laser out of the tent and the Fox's sideways C-button jump isn't high enough to jump out of the tent)
not entirely true. if you press C the instant you stop holding run, you can quite easily full hop double laser out of the tent with C

you dont lose any momentum/speed etc

M!nt

Smash Champion
No smash 64 or any n64 game for that matter do not support 480p, so component cables on the wii, will get you nothing.

M!nt

Smash Champion
Yes ssbm supports 480p, but not widescreen :(
Theres nothing you can really do on a n64 to make it look better than maybe S-video, not always.

The Star King

Smash Hero
not entirely true. if you press C the instant you stop holding run, you can quite easily full hop double laser out of the tent with C

you dont lose any momentum/speed etc
It sounds like you didn't read my post. You need to press forward on the control stick the frame you leave the ground to keep full forward momentum with a C button jump. IDK about you but I'm not frame perfect, so I use stick jumping instead.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
Anyways, how do I fix a very worn out stick?
i've tried and failed many times. your best option is to buy new controllers.

It sounds like you didn't read my post. You need to press forward on the control stick the frame you leave the ground to keep full forward momentum with a C button jump. IDK about you but I'm not frame perfect, so I use stick jumping instead.
oh, sorry

i just tried it and got the running double laser out of the tent with C more than 9/10 times. my tech skill is definately not frame perfect, but this doesn't feel like it needs frame perfection. i often miss parries and teleports which give you 3 or 4 frames leeway. i also used that method for my fox on falcon combo without even realising it was difficult.

im not saying youre wrong, im just saying its a safe alternative

The Star King

Smash Hero
I know you can. You're missing my point. You're probably not getting full forward momentum unless you're pressing forward the frame you leave the ground (this has nothing to do with whether you pull off the double laser or not). The difference may be small but it's there.

Battlecow

Play to Win
yeah, IDK what people are talking about, c hop is ALWAYS shorter than a full stick hop unless I've had jank controllers and keyboards for my entire career, lol.

tl;dr stick hop is necessary.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
while certainly useful in some special cases, stick hop is by no means necessary. i mean blue yoshi was pretty good without SHORT HOPS, which are like 10000x more useful

Battlecow

Play to Win
Did you ever play Yoshi?

Nonwithstanding, yeah, you can do well without stick hops, but why not use them?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Why do people always say that? I remember playing Blue Yoshi and he was not very good, and this was a long time ago when I was pretty new and 100x worse. Or at least he would have been a lot better with short hopping.

Stick hopping is also useful for stuff like THE BATTLECOW (Falcon fthrow -> pivot -> full hop bair -> bair -> reverse uair on Puff), makes it a lot easier. Maybe ballin said it didn't combo back in the match-up thread because he only C jumps. I had to upload a video because this kid doesn't know the power of stick jumping :3

Battlecow

Play to Win
Stick hops are useful, but not like, super duper ultra critical like z-canceling or whatever. Still, why would you not use 'em?

M!nt

Smash Champion
I don't stick jump ; _ ;
You have to stick jump to do "the battlecow'?
I guess I'll have to start learning.

Battlecow

Play to Win
dude, you have to stick jump to do tons of ****

Do people not do that? LOL that explains a lot.

most of my strategy as falcon was (and kinda is, lol) based on fthrowing people from 0 and then hitting them with both hits of fair to a B&B combo if they didn't DI and bawling like a baby if they did. This being the case, I had to stick hop because you can't fthrow-fair kirby, samus, mario, luigi, etc. without it.

I actually remember talking to ballin' about doing it on samus and him being like "Um, you can't do that on samus."

Explains soooooo much

kys

Smash Ace
I can't stick hop because I need to turn my sensitivity waaay down on my controller so I'm not jumping on accident/smashing when trying to tilt/etc.

Anyways, you can fthrow fair all those characters, the timing just changes a little. Bair>grab>fthrow>fair>uair>upb is a great kirby noob killer.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
If you turn your sensitivity so far down that you can't stick hop... you can't dash, fast fall, do smash attacks, and your horizontal air movement suffers immensely.

firo

Smash Ace
It was interesting hearing some melee players watch SSB64 being played at Apex and their comments about it. The overwhelming general consensus about the game from these guys is that the game is too campy. While I guess that is a semi-valid concern, my theory is that we are just a couple years ahead of these melee guys. Look what happened in the melee finals.

Also interesting to note that Armada (the winner of melee) apparently likes playing Smash 64.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
The game is only as campy as the players make it. Both SSB64 and Melee can be super fun and fast-paced, but they can both be snoozefests as well...

Can't say the same about Brawl. :troll:

M!nt

Smash Champion
I would play brawl too if my Wii's internet wasn't broke, no need to diss other games. I play a mean squirtle, metaknights beware.

Olikus

Smash Champion
It was interesting hearing some melee players watch SSB64 being played at Apex and their comments about it. The overwhelming general consensus about the game from these guys is that the game is too campy. While I guess that is a semi-valid concern, my theory is that we are just a couple years ahead of these melee guys. Look what happened in the melee finals.

Also interesting to note that Armada (the winner of melee) apparently likes playing Smash 64.
yeah Ive played armada in 64. He is good at it.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
when mango came to aus he played a bit of 64. he seemed to enjoy it and was surprisingly good at it too.

do you think its easier going from melee to 64 or 64 to melee?

Olikus

Smash Champion
I know allot of players that are okay in melee and then trying 64 and are good at it pretty fast. Dunno about that many just okay 64 players that are good in melee.

But its hard to say. If your on a high level at 64 I guess you might get fast good in melee allso.

Ive actually did fairly okay on my first melee tourney, despite only playing the game 2 times inbeforehand. Wouldnt have accomplished that without 64 skills in the blood.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
going 64 to melee is really hard, you have to pretend the games are unrelated or else you will be sidestepping on platforms all damn day

or you could play sheik and not care

Top Bottom