• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

TANK64

Smash Lord
lol I knew someone would say this. My god, I didn't know I would have to spoon feed you babies...smh

Yes. I use "shield-dash" as one term. So I just call it the "pivot shield-dash" for the edge hog one.

Thought it was PRETTY OBVIOUS, but I guess not.

National **** with TANK week?

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
Is there a combo (video) that includes Luigi's taunt?

Preferably not of the taunting Luigi getting combo'd - before anyone tries to be clever.

B Link

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of combos that use luigi-taunt to hit the opponent into a pokemon/something else and then continues from there

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Trolling isn't nice Ballin'...

lol, but yea, I guess I'll find a vid.

-and also, you pivot first btw, if that's what you're hung up on. So there's shield-dash, and then the pivot>shield-dash (only this part the pivot IS the dash).
I'm not trolling. I legitimately do not understand.

So is it pivot -> shield? Where does the edgehog come in? What is the purpose of shielding after a pivot?

Again not trolling; I really don't get it :(

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
If you were given a newb smash player as a pet - someone who could do basic moves, not kill himself all the time, etc., but didn't combo or use AT's super fluently - and you had to train him to not make you look like an idiot when he plays people, what would you do?
Consider time spent:
- In training mode
- Watching videos
- Playing the computer
- Playing online
- Pushups
- Other stuff
If you say something like 30% training mode please include what he would be doing (practicing specific combos, z-cancelling, general movement, etc.).

How would you allot his time to be most effective?

P.S. Anyone want such a pet?

The Star King

Smash Hero
I would do like 90% vs CPUs/training mode to get the REALLY essential ATs down (shorthopping + z-canceling + teching pretty much) first so you can at least somewhat compete online. Then like 95% online, maybe 5% training mode/vs CPU if he needs to get some other ATs down. Maybe like 2% videos IDK (I might be underestimating how much I've learned from vids)

58% pullups

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Is there a certain way that I should be DI-ing Captain Falcon's uair?

I have pretty good idea of how to use DI on ledges, utilts, and drill kicks, but beyond that I don't know what is good.

kys

Smash Ace
I like DI-ing hard down on the first uair.
This and DI'ing into Falcon at low percents. At mid-percents try and go up and away. If you have cheating keyboard DI than you can manage to actually get out of the ole' uair uair upb combo.

But overall it's really hard to DI out of Falcon's combos.

On a side note, DI'ing Falcon's fair into his body is your best bet, in case you wanted to that bit of info too.

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
Do people actually look at percentages during a match? I mean obviously I have a general sense of my opponent's "health" but I almost never know exactly what percentage they are at. I've heard people talking about combos that only work at certain percentages so does that mean you are constantly looking back and forth between the percent and the actual match (kind of like looking at a minimap)?

Also, I'm still interested in my last question

The Star King

Smash Hero
I look but 22% probably isn't gonna result in much different action then 21%. I just think of what it's about (I'd probably think of both as about 20%).

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Do people actually look at percentages during a match? I mean obviously I have a general sense of my opponent's "health" but I almost never know exactly what percentage they are at. I've heard people talking about combos that only work at certain percentages so does that mean you are constantly looking back and forth between the percent and the actual match (kind of like looking at a minimap)?

Also, I'm still interested in my last question
Yes, memorizing what does what at what percent is very important.

Battlecow

Play to Win
This and DI'ing into Falcon at low percents. At mid-percents try and go up and away. If you have cheating keyboard DI than you can manage to actually get out of the ole' uair uair upb combo.

But overall it's really hard to DI out of Falcon's combos.

On a side note, DI'ing Falcon's fair into his body is your best bet, in case you wanted to that bit of info too.
DIing fair any which way works if you do it hard enough

mix it up so that they don't ADJUST sometimes

kys

Smash Ace
I like how DIing into his body puts you behind him. Typically Falcon is going forward when he busts out a fair, so it works against his momentum.

But yes, ALWAYS adjust.

Smasher00

Smash Rookie
How come sometimes when you bair (especially with Pikachu) your opponent will be sent forward instead of the intended backwards? Does this have something to do with which part of the hurtbox the move interacts with first?

persian_prep08

Smash Rookie
Controller problems

Hello.
I'm having some problems with my controller.
I'm using my keyboard, and when i join someone else's game i can't use my controller (works fine if its my game). i see everything they do but i can't do anything. My controller is set and the "plugged in" is checked on player 1 only. I have no raw data (forgot name, hopefully you will know what i am talking about) box to check or uncheck (most helps i have found say to uncheck this). the only things i can check are the plugged in (it is checked) and memory pack (it is unchecked).
Any help is highly appreciated. Thank you

The Star King

Smash Hero
^It sounds like you're using Jabo or something. Go to Options -> Settings and switch to NRage in the "Input (controller) plugin:" dropdown box. And then uncheck the "raw data" box (under Options -> Configure controller plugin...)

DIing Falcon's fair - Sangoku recommends away in his DI guide. I also find down good if they're doing something like fthrow -> full hop double hit fair (so they're rising as they're doing the fair). Depends on the situation I guess.

How come sometimes when you bair (especially with Pikachu) your opponent will be sent forward instead of the intended backwards? Does this have something to do with which part of the hurtbox the move interacts with first?
Indeed. It means the other side of the hurtbox is hit first. Horizontal trajectory is reversed (but vertical is unaffected). So if a Pikachu bairing right hits the right side of the hurtbox first, the victim will be sent flying left instead of right.

persian_prep08

Smash Rookie
The Star King: I did as you said. In configure i get two options for N64-plugin. RumblePak has Raw data checked and i can't uncheck. memPak is uncheckable. I set my controllers neither one made any difference :(

persian_prep08

Smash Rookie
i have been testing these all with the same player. I changed to some one else and it works. i'm gonna ask him to do the same changes in their setting and see if that's why it doesn't work with him.
Thank you very much for your help

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
Indeed. It means the other side of the hurtbox is hit first. Horizontal trajectory is reversed (but vertical is unaffected). So if a Pikachu bairing right hits the right side of the hurtbox first, the victim will be sent flying left instead of right.
I thought it was which part of the hitbox makes contact first.

For example, repeatedly dairing someone with Samus and then jumping so you're practically in front of them (//on top, i mean in front in terms of layering on the screen, not above, but touching, ya know?) and bairing will send them the opposite direction of the kick. i always thought it was a sweetspot.
That is, you'd be hitting them with your hip, which i suppose is where the hitbox starts.
Another example is Falcon's bair with his shoulder instead of his fist.

Maybe I'm mistaken, though. I always thought it was attacker dependent and not victim.

The Star King

Smash Hero
We aren't really saying the same thing.

cobr, I understand what you're saying but I think you're wrong. But I'm basing this off stuff I heard from... someone. May have been Melee. But from what I've seen 64 and Melee aren't that much different in terms of hitbox interactions and stuff.

My counterexample is thinking about moves like Fox's shine. You hit on first frame so it's not hitbox timing dependent. Yet you can hit right or left depending on what side you hit.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
Oh, I see where you think I meant timing with the word 'starts'. I didn't mean it like that.

But I think it's the same thing if you're standing as falcon, for instance, and you do a fsmash facing to the left, and someone is running towards you from, say, the rear, they will be propelled to the right, even if the hitbox is in its final frames. So the staleness doesn't affect anything.

Reason I say it doesn't depend on the person who's getting hit is because I can pretty much consistently pull off dair/reverse bair with samus and it hasn't ever mattered which direction they're facing or where I hit them.

I think i'll get drunk and try all this tonight.

The Star King

Smash Hero
If I z-cancel 1 frame before I land will it work? Or is there a "lower limit" to the z-cancelling window?
It will work but I wouldn't recommend doing that. Because it's obviously more likely that you'll mess up if you do it that late, more likely that you'll accidentally shield, and online frame delay will **** you over here.

But I think it's the same thing if you're standing as falcon, for instance, and you do a fsmash facing to the left, and someone is running towards you from, say, the rear, they will be propelled to the right, even if the hitbox is in its final frames. So the staleness doesn't affect anything.
Think you're using "staleness" wrong here but yeah you're right. But that example supports my argument. The guy running into the fsmash is getting hit on the opposite side of usual, so the fsmash hit is reversed.

Reason I say it doesn't depend on the person who's getting hit is because I can pretty much consistently pull off dair/reverse bair with samus and it hasn't ever mattered which direction they're facing or where I hit them.
Then what does it depend on? Like you said in your fsmash example, you can get a reverse hit ANY time during the move. Same thing can happen with Samus bair if you bair and somebody goes into your back during the final frames. You get a reverse weak bair.

Robbydebry

Smash Rookie
K so I have a few yoshi questions,

First off I can get the djc most of the time but sometimes it like, jitters out. yoshi will hit the ground or move too far or use the wrong arial :/ I know it's just a control thing, but what can I do to increase my contro and speed? how do i go about practicing this stuff?

My friend plays fox CONSTANTLY and all he ever does is his dash-a and grabs and just edgegaurds constantly. I tear him to shreds with ness, but he said ness was "too cheep" (effing hypocritical spammer). I can get in some djc on him, but as soon as I'm over the edge I'm toast, he just hangs back a few feet so I can't egg or pound him and he just waits til he can dash me off agan -.- What can you do about that? xD He beats me 7/10 times. it's absurd. I need to get the chain djc down I think, or is it just mindless to try to beat fox with yoshi?

kys

Smash Ace

First off I can get the djc most of the time but sometimes it like, jitters out. yoshi will hit the ground or move too far or use the wrong arial :/ I know it's just a control thing, but what can I do to increase my contro and speed? how do i go about practicing this stuff?

My friend plays fox CONSTANTLY and all he ever does is his dash-a and grabs and just edgegaurds constantly. I tear him to shreds with ness, but he said ness was "too cheep" (effing hypocritical spammer). I can get in some djc on him, but as soon as I'm over the edge I'm toast, he just hangs back a few feet so I can't egg or pound him and he just waits til he can dash me off agan -.- What can you do about that? xD He beats me 7/10 times. it's absurd. I need to get the chain djc down I think, or is it just mindless to try to beat fox with yoshi?
You sound like a newbie so I'll try to give you some newbie advice, since you just wanna pwn your friend.

When recovering as Yoshi, don't press anything. Yoshi has super armor, but it will go away if you bust out an attack. Just jump, come back, and there's really no way his dash attack will do anything unless you're at like 200%

Can you short hop? Learn how to do utilt to short hop dair. You'll be able to rack up some serious percent. Then utilt again right after to usmash.

That's all you'll really need. If you want to actually get good with Yoshi, practice other stuff and disregard what I said.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
Think you're using "staleness" wrong here but yeah you're right. But that example supports my argument. The guy running into the fsmash is getting hit on the opposite side of usual, so the fsmash hit is reversed.
Going back to the thing you said about hurtboxes and hitboxes, I think that's where my confusion came in, maybe? When I hear hurtbox I think of the vulnerable parts of a character, one that is being attacked, and when I hear hitbox I think of the attacker's move, be it an aerial or a smash or tilt or whatever.

I thought you were saying it's wholly dependent on where it is the person is being hit.
Unless you still are and we're on two different pages.

[/quote]Then what does it depend on? Like you said in your fsmash example, you can get a reverse hit ANY time during the move. Same thing can happen with Samus bair if you bair and somebody goes into your back during the final frames. You get a reverse weak bair.
[/quote]
It would depend on what part of your bair connects with the opponent, wouldn't it? And have nothing to do with what part of the opponent it connects with?

In Samus's case, knockback is horizontal if the opponent is hit by her foot, calf, and part of her thigh. Knockback is reversed if the opponent is hit by the upper part of her thigh or her hip.

Or maybe this photo of falcon's fsmash, facing right, will illustrate it:

my plan of getting drunk and trying this did not work out. i'll give it a go when i get back from class.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Will the brash and overweaning young cobr_evolution defeat the venerable and mighty star king in a battle of smash knowledge? Stay tuned to find out.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
it could very well be we're misunderstanding each other's points.

edit:
it's much easier to pull off the reverse knockback with aerials because with anything grounded, there's a high possibility you'll completely miss the opponent if they're standing behind you. if they roll into the same space you occupy before you get 'pushed', they'll be hit. we all know this, it's why sometimes you fall off the edge doing an aerial when attempting to grab (or maybe that only happens to me embarrassingly often).

i had my friend jump towards me frontwards and backwards and could pull off falcon's reverse bair pretty consistently when i wanted to, with no regard to which direction he was coming at me from. so i suppose, to whoever asked it, if you want to utilize it, approach them in their until you're essentially touching them, and then do the attack.

reading your stuff over, sk, i do think i misunderstood you a bit.

clubbadubba

Smash Master

Just dash attack him. Yoshi's dash attack is awesome vs ppl that never jump.

Top Bottom