• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I don't think that is what they meant. You don't get double the 'boing' when two equal priority moves hit each other in team play.

My guess:

When two characters are on the ground in the same space, they get pushed away from each other. Still... we don't call it 'boing' lol.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
There are other interesting things on that site. I can't believe I didn't think of using wayback machine to access the USA ssb64 site before. But a lot of it won't load, and I don't know how Frogles got to that page on z-cancel (smooth landing) since the drop-down menu in

http://web.archive.org/web/19991117225248/smashbros.com/moves_intro.html

doesn't load anything correctly. I was able to see everything below smooth landing by using the "next move" link on each technique page (including break fall = teching), but I couldn't see anything above it, including these ambiguous three:

power-ups
upward super attack
downward super attack

Anyone know how to get to those pages (I assume it's using the wayback machine in a different way)? Frogles seems to, I hope he responds. Much better than having to pore over the Japanese ssb64 site which I can hardly interpret even with babelfish.

Grahf

Smash Apprentice
I'm having trouble setting up my replica N64 controller to my laptop. I'm using a double-controller socket N64 USB adapter but I can't get the game to register my control. I'm getting frustrated...don't know what to do.

The 64 controller and the USB adapter didn't come with a CD to install since both companies said there was no need for it and it's auto-detected or something. No need for drivers etc etc..Both controller ports of the USB adapter are registered by the game....it has it's name but when I try to manually register the buttons...it does something weird...and it auto assigns Button 9 to everything or something...it'll do that for every button I try to manually install so it gets synced up with the emulator etc etc (not sure if it's suppose to already be auto-detected since it isn't...)

Here is the link to the N64 USB Adapter thing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390110916955&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Here is the link to the controller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310173317428&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I can make a screen capture video if you'd like to show you better...if this isn't an obvious question that comes up frequently that you can handle right away...just let me know.
Anyone? Know the answer to this question that's slow but surely getting burried in posts :(

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, condensing all the questions into one thread has its disadvantages.

I'll just assume Alancitu never made it there for some reason.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering which characters have the ability to duck under certain character's grabs. I'm only positive about kirby ducking falcon's grab. Are there others?

k3vsdk

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

Ive got a question about controllers for emulator use.

I currently use a rumblepad 2 LINK And i find it very difficult to be consistant with tilts, and up airs without using your second jump.

So my real question is, does using a genuine N64 controller with an adapter make a difference? Because im thinking of getting one.

I honestly cant image that a joystick would make a difference, but watching high level videos, it seems impossible that it is so hard to do.

If we represented graphically what it feels like on my controller (without preloading);
X=tiltable range
o=gone too far

[XXooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo]

So im just wondering if people who actually use N64 controllers on the emulator could give their opinions.

k3vsdk

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the reply,

Do you think so? I read in another thread about pros/cons of controllers, and the aforementioned moves were listed.

I mean it really feels like 0.000001mm of range for tilts, which makes doing tilts a game of chance - surely not how the game would be intended. But with that said, i cant imagine it being any different, however i remember N64 sticks to be much looser then playstation type sticks. Ill just have to get one and see...

Edit: I just tried with a PS3 controller, which has a looser joystick then my rumblepad and it was easier. IIRC N64 has an even looser one so maybe it will make all the difference.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
I mean it really feels like 0.000001mm of range for tilts, which makes doing tilts a game of chance - surely not how the game would be intended. But with that said, i cant imagine it being any different, however i remember N64 sticks to be much looser then playstation type sticks. Ill just have to get one and see...
You might be right. If so it would be best to calibrate your controller and/or tweak the controller plugin settings within the emulator to better suit the way the joystick functions within the game. You should be able to improve it a little bit...

TANK64

Smash Lord
@Grahf
It might be your input plugin
-and what version of PJ64K do you have?
Also PM me your email, and I'll send you the plugin that fixed it for me.

Grahf

Smash Apprentice
@Grahf
It might be your input plugin
-and what version of PJ64K do you have?
Also PM me your email, and I'll send you the plugin that fixed it for me.

Well the situations changed a little bit...After tinkering with my controller...I found out that "Button 9" is the Start button...and I checked the "Control Panel" "Game Controllers" to check it out....and "Button 9" aka the Start button is rapid firing...I got the controller to register but it's kind of annoying playing and having it hit Start everyone milisecond...

Also, the C-Buttons won't register when I input them to in Project64k....

As for the version I have of Project64k...I don't know how to find that info anymore...it's been installed for a few months now....I'm guessing it's the newest version but i could be wrong.

firo

Smash Ace
Grahf, is that a genuine n64 controller that you are using, or a third party? Sometimes the picture ebay sellers use is different than what they actually send.

TANK64

Smash Lord
yea the C-Buttons are usually the problem. lol especially online.
I have the same adapter, so if that is a real 64 controller, than it should work.
I just changed to a plugin (that wasn't in my plugin list).
Sounds like that's a part of the problem, to make your C-buttons work online at least.
I'm not sure about the pause thing, but you should be able to assign all the buttons after that

Battlecow

Play to Win
So, are there any quick n' easy ways to get out of button-mash moves like DK's forward grab and Yoshi's egg? People I play online can always get out of my DK grab in about half a second, but no matter how hard I mash those buttons, I can never escape in time.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I was wondering, in the online guide for the setting up smash 64 It says there is a start netplay feature. I can't find the feature on the pj64 I just downloaded. And I am anxious to try online. Help?

tl;dr
I need help setting up online.

DMoogle

A$
I was wondering, in the online guide for the setting up smash 64 It says there is a start netplay feature. I can't find the feature on the pj64 I just downloaded. And I am anxious to try online. Help?

tl;dr
I need help setting up online.
Make sure you have the modded version of PJ64; PJ64K.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Some people online use keyboard. They can easily mash 'left right left right' very fast, resulting in escaping button-mash moves very quickly. Though related to button-mashing moves, what is the most effective way to escape button-mashing moves on controller? Is it rotating the control stick or left-right-left-right? And do you mash all of the buttons or does only the A button (for instance) work?

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
Some people online use keyboard. They can easily mash 'left right left right' very fast, resulting in escaping button-mash moves very quickly. Though related to button-mashing moves, what is the most effective way to escape button-mashing moves on controller? Is it rotating the control stick or left-right-left-right? And do you mash all of the buttons or does only the A button (for instance) work?
I'm pretty sure all buttons work, at least in melee, so probably here as well, and that rotating the stick is better.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Yeah... I'm asking about the buttons since the cpu's use the control stick and the 'A' button only. Proof: Go to training mode as puff, have a cpu on stand, and sing. When the opponent breaks out, he'll use an 'A' attack.

Okay, the conclusion about Link's recovery.... it's not the worst, it's Samus that has the worst. Why?

The picture above is the distance of Link's recovery while the one below is Samus

The red square stands for the distance like if Link does his recovery at that square, the recovery will be high enough to reach the edge. Samus needs a higher point to recover vertically than Link also for the horizontal. That proves that Link has a better recovery than Samus :dizzy: Maybe you know this already, I'm just making sure :chuckle: anyway.

You guys really know it?

Paix

Smash Apprentice
It's arguable. They both have a bomb recovery technique and this should be taken into account for their overall recovery, especially when comparing a fast faller to a slow faller. When Samus hits Morph Ball Bomb, though, she'd need to be able to land to then double jump again.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Some silly statistic about a vertical distance doesn't define whether a recovery is better or not. Samus's doublejump is much higher than Link's, and her bombs allow her tons more horizontal recovery. Her up+b has fantastic priority and doesn't need to be spaced as carefully as Link's to hit the opponent away.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I think Samus recovery is 10 times better. She is floaty, she has a lot of range, she has down+b, up+b and fair priority and has several recovery setups... for me is like the 4th or 5th best.

And sorry but those pics are wrong, Samus can recover from further away, fact.

MattNF

Smash Lord
Samus, if she is high enough, can also try and attack people coming to intercept her offstage. She could dair them if theyre coming or something

If link tried an attack other than nair, he'd probably die.

remedys

Smash Cadet
can anyone give me some tips (or video links) on edgeguarding samus? and is samus invincible during her up+b? if not what movies outprioritize it, or are their a lot?

Probably a bomb can do it but I didn't try it yet. I'm just saying it since it's a projectile

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Lots of moves can break her Up-B, especially disjointed ones. You'll probably both get hit, but the edgeguarder takes 1%, while Samus is hit with full force.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Samus's startup of her up-B is invincible. I had a match of me as Samus vs a friend as Luigi. We both up-B'd at the same time. We heard Luigi's ping, then a pause from hitstun (where you can di). Then right after that, Samus continued her up-B, and Luigi got caught up in that. That definitely proves there's invincibility at the start of her up-B. However, she is vulnerable during it, as I (and probably everyone here) have hit Samus out of her up-B many times before.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
definately some invincibility because i was playing a samus ditto against a friend and they had used both thier jumps and was about to land when i fired a full charged b. they used b up right before it hit them and no damage was taken.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Link and Ness have by far the worst recovery

DK is probably next, then samus. Both of them have good range but they are predictable.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
IMO Fox and Falcon have the 3rd and 4th worst recoveries, can't say which one is better/worse. DK's recovery is better than both.

Recovery stuff:
4-5. Mario, Luigi
6. Yoshi
7. Samus
8. DK
9. Fox
10. C. Falcon
11. Ness
12. Link

Unknown place:
Kirby
Pikachu