• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

clowsui

Smash Legend
if you sufficiently retreat it wario gets bodied i thought?

wait a minute ted has actually SDI'd out of your nair and initiated a trade with fair? WHAT?

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
The Marth boards should hold Gala events for feats like that. It's only FAIR

C.J.

Smash Master
Is Fthrow x3 to Dair offstage (out of any of those throws) a true combo on DDD?
Another question: Which is the best way to wall Wario? Should I just let him escape unpunished if he throws something like Bair, Fair or Dair (all very well spaced) on my shield?
Yes it is guaranteed.
Mix-up fair, nair, uair, jab, utilt, and ftilt

The Marth boards should hold Gala events for feats like that. It's only FAIR
I will find you and throw you into traffic.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Is this really all there is to Marth? Just swinging out fair and nair? Because I do that in friendly matches (often at a tournament setting) and it gets me pretty far.
The occasional f-smash, sure. But mostly fair and nair. It seems like that's all there is to being an effective Marth player. What am I missing here?

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
That really is true. F-air and N-air are both great moves, and they can do a lot of work... but if you're using nothing else, you'll be ridiculously predictable. It sounds like the players you're fighting against don't really know how to punish it, which is why it's working. However, as soon as you fight someone who's really good, you're going to get murdered.

As to what else you'd use, up air and up tilt are good for juggling, B-air is a good air to air, jab and forwards air are good anti-air moves, D-tilt is excellent for trapping landings as well as ground spacing, dancing blade is an excellent punish tool that only really fails against shield, up-B is a great (if risky) OOS punish, and shield breaker is good when you know the opponent will hang back and shield rather than attack. Just watch some of the really good Marths (Mike Haze, Leon, or Mr. R) play, you'll see.

Also, if you don't have any good players nearby, playing wifi on All is Brawl is an option. It's hardly ideal, but wifi is better than nothing. (Just be prepared for frustration and lag SD's.)

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman
Is this really all there is to Marth? Just swinging out fair and nair? Because I do that in friendly matches (often at a tournament setting) and it gets me pretty far.
The occasional f-smash, sure. But mostly fair and nair. It seems like that's all there is to being an effective Marth player. What am I missing here?
even if you say it's only fair and nair, there's different types. rising fair oos at low/mid %s helps to string up damage. retreating fair for safety and spacing. ff fair for zoning and mix-ups. fh fair against characters like snake and ddd so you don't get punished.

but there's more than fair and nair to marth. u-air is a great landing tool, and his ground game is solid, you just need to learn how to apply it. dancing blade to punish any move. d-smash to set up juggles/kill, u-smash for %, ds oos for punish/kills, grab game is strong (f-throw follow-ups), etc. if you want to see the power of marth's ground game, watch mikehaze imo, he's great at it. if you want to just see a good all-around marth who utilizes his tools effectively, watch neo. if you want to work on ledge trapping and other specific damage racking stuff, watch mr. r. if you want to see how to space tipper f-smash, make incredible reads, use offensive as defense, be ridiculously greedy and over-aggro and constantly put yourself at high risk epic death situations, watch leon.

Cyzs

Smash Cadet
So is there a chaingrab on pika? I was pretty sure we got fthrow x2, dthrow x3 to fsmash, but then I remembered that that was falco. I don't even know.

C.J.

Smash Master
dthrow x10 if you're amazingly amazing.

I stop after 5 though because that is haaarrdddd

Cyzs

Smash Cadet
Well, how much more damage would the x10 even do?

I don't intend to do it; I'm a wimp. I just like knowing things.

Cassio

Smash Master
Hey folks, I was wondering do you guys buffer dashes for all the other grab releases on MK that arent the spike? Is it required? If its not im curious to hear whats works better (pragmatically)/is more common. I dont know if I should push buffering the dash on all grab releases.

Cassio

Smash Master
So on the grab releases, spike included, you simply input a well timed dash after the animation?

Since im here, Im also curious as to anyone willing to answer which grab release options are better for which situations (in general, nothing complicated). One in particular, I notice most Marths tend to go for dash attack, someone once told me to not stale fair. Does it do as much damage as fair (cant seem to find the damage data)?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
tippered its like 12%, which is the same for hte most part as forward air.

Dair for off stage, uair/dolphin slash for good kill options, fair/dancing blade for 'easy' stuff, nair for hard but amazing at life type stuff.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Also, if you don't have any good players nearby, playing wifi on All is Brawl is an option. It's hardly ideal, but wifi is better than nothing. (Just be prepared for frustration and lag SD's.)
To add on to this, if you don't have Wifi. You can use training mode to practice tech skill and use Cpu's for application.

And, I was wondering about Pikachu too. It feels we'd get the same thing as Falco.

I could test it out.. somewhat.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
What are Marth's options against planking? When you've got stuff like ROB shooting laser/gyro or Pit shooting arrows from the ledge, I can't seem to get anything done against it. This is getting really frustrating considering I'm reasonably good at defending against actual attempts to get back onstage, but not when they just return to the ledge itself over and over again.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I don't play Marth myself, but I tend to get tipper fsmashed when I attempt to do dumb things that don't work like shooting lasers from the ledge.

C.J.

Smash Master
Platforms, ledge jumps with db1 nonsense to hope to mess up his timing, footstools should be helpful IMO. Footstools in general are really underused tbh

:phone:

chibi chaan

Smash Rookie
hii marth peoples

two questions lol.

anybody can give me advice on marth's dair spike? I can get them when i do it but i have some trouble getting back onto the stage.

any advice on going against a marth who is always on the defensive?

Top Bottom