• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Clearly not the question he asked. You can view all of the accounts on the forum. I'm sure he had an account at one point or another. I don't know what it is, but I'd think it would look something like "Drago."

earla

Smash Lord
does the edges on yoshis island that are slightly tilted down increase the difficulty of grab release dair spike on mk?

earla

Smash Lord
i recall reading some of ikes frame data.

they list the 'knockback + knockback growth.

is marth's listed anywhere?

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hellu Marf Boards, you might be seeing me a lot here in the next little while asking questions about your character and how they perform on a certain stage.
Character boards seem to cycle through incomplete MU threads to new ones in hope to update them and finally complete them. This is the R.O.B. Boards attempt at completing a sufficient stage-discussion thread and I'm going to try my best to get accurate and thorough information, but I'll need your help. This will be the only question with an introductory. I just wanted to say hello and let you know that if you guys need info on anything for R.O.B. don't hesitate asking. ^_^

Anywho!

Q: How does Marth fair off on Delfino Plaza in general and against R.O.B.. Why is it good or bad? What can Marth abuse and what might possibly annoy you that R.O.B. can do on this stage? On a scale of 1 - 10, what do you see Marth's chances of doing well on this stage against R.O.B. 1 being the worst for you 10 being the best.

thanks guys =]
<beep3

earla

Smash Lord
ok, mk is spaced well fsmash distance from edge.

marth is hanging on the edge.

what are our best options to get back onto stage? i find i get punished most of the time getting back on vs a mk.

i read havok recommended shield breaker if they fsmash? im apprehensive about that because of sb lag.

tips please.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
it's one of those "get *****" situations !_!
until you perfectly time ledge drop midair jump onto the stage to hopefully power shield it.

Make sure you have max invincibility (as in moving as quickly as possible after regrabbing the ledge).

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
ok, mk is spaced well fsmash distance from edge.

marth is hanging on the edge.

what are our best options to get back onto stage? i find i get punished most of the time getting back on vs a mk.

i read havok recommended shield breaker if they fsmash? im apprehensive about that because of sb lag.

tips please.
If you are certain they will fsmash, there's ledgehop counter. But of course it's pretty risky :/

Is there any large collection of grab shennaigans for marth? Sadly, I am having problems trying to locate such a thing.
I think the closest would probably be the true combo thread.

Excellent thread!

When should I use the variations of dancing blades?
DB is usually a good option to punish your opponent's mistakes (though there might be more rewarding options depending on the situation). The standard version should be used for general damage racking, and is the one used the most. Use the up version to start juggles and also possibly as a kill move against lighter characters. The last hit of the up version can also hit someone on a platform above you, though it's not used too often like that. You shouldn't really be using the down version since it can be DI'd out of. But it is possible to shieldstab with it, and is also useful if you find your opponent likes to spotdodge the last hit of DB. Also, if you hit a shield, stopping at the third hit of the down version can be used to possibly avoid getting punished.

etecoon

Smash Hero
SDIing out of DB4 down is character dependent, most of the heavier characters can't get out

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Only a few characters (Falco, Fox, Wolf, D3, maybe Sheik, maybe a few others) cannot get out of DB4 through SDI.

I personally like to jump into a Dolphin Slash if I'm having difficulty getting through an MK Fsmash wall.

ChKn

Smash Ace
Can someone explain the Marth vs. ZSS matchup? I checked both boards on MU info, but both seem rather dated.

earla

Smash Lord
jump canceled u smash. are there any other moves you can jump cancel?

also, does anyone know how many frames marth dash is?

also,
Marth's traps work well on Dedede. Ledge trap is effective since Dedede has a mediocre ledge attack. D-tilt trap also works well since Dedede has slow movement and is limited in how he can deal with. All he can really do is roll. Juggle trap is ok, but since Dedede has multiple jumps it's not as effective as it is vs other characters. Marth has his f-throw trap when he can't do his f-throw combo. Dedede is heavy so he can't DI that far back and he probably won't jump away although he can, but that would put him in a disadvantageous position.

is a post i read from emblem lord. i've never heard of a f-throw trap? what does he mean by that.

thanks!

C.J.

Smash Master
jump canceled u smash. are there any other moves you can jump cancel?

also, does anyone know how many frames marth dash is?

also,
Marth's traps work well on Dedede. Ledge trap is effective since Dedede has a mediocre ledge attack. D-tilt trap also works well since Dedede has slow movement and is limited in how he can deal with. All he can really do is roll. Juggle trap is ok, but since Dedede has multiple jumps it's not as effective as it is vs other characters. Marth has his f-throw trap when he can't do his f-throw combo. Dedede is heavy so he can't DI that far back and he probably won't jump away although he can, but that would put him in a disadvantageous position.

is a post i read from emblem lord. i've never heard of a f-throw trap? what does he mean by that.

thanks!
You can jump cancel usmash and up special

His dash is 17 frames

If he air dodges, he gets grabbed or Dancing Bladed. If he jumps, and their name isn't MK or Kirby, they get juggled forever. If they do nothing, they get faired/juggled.

A trap is something where your opponent has very restricted options and none are particularly safe. The option they do choose is easy to cover or react to and leads to ****. (Think dtilt on an opponent's shield.)

So, an fthrow trap is ^^^ from an fthrow.

earla

Smash Lord
1. how many frames lag do you get from just landing after jumping/being in the air? is it the same for all chars?

2. how many frames of lag if you airdodge into the ground/ fast fall into the ground?

why do people ever airdodge into the ground? i notice it gets punished hard a lot of the time.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
There are 'soft' landings and 'hard' landings. A 'hard' landing occurs when you fall from higher than your short hop height, or if you fast fall into the ground, otherwise a 'soft' landing will happen. A hard landing has... 4 frames of lag if I recall correctly, while soft has 2. I don't believe air dodge increases these amounts, but RCO lag naturally will.

Air dodge into ground is pretty much just a habit lots of developing players have.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Recovery carry-over (lag). Basically, use Dolphin Slash to grab a ledge, or get hit before you land after Dolphin Slash, and the NEXT time you land you'll experience an amplification of the lag. If possible, land using fair, which has low lag, and avoid doing the normal 'hard' landing, which will give you about an extra second of lag.

Even doing the Dolphin Slash regrab on a ledge will give you the carryover lag. Landing with a B move will not give you extra lag, but will not make the lag go away.

It's not just limited to Marth; characters like Mario, Ganondorf and Pikachu also experience it (Dedede dthrow > fsmash is a true combo on Ganondorf if he has his up-B lag... >_<).

earla

Smash Lord
ok vs mk had a session.

tips on dealing with any of the following are much appreciated:

a) recovering vs mk. should marth ever be gimped?

b) mk doing a full hop fair to a few dair camps approach. how can i punish? i was considering full hop up airing but the risk is if i time wrong i will be dair'd or mk could mix up to nado.

c) is it worth being aggressive vs mk when they're above us? i noticed at times i would get baited then dair'd after i tried to up air.

d) whats best way to deal with mk running in shields?

cheers

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
What, Shaya has abandoned nair? :p

And as for recovering against MK, watching top level Marths, I rarely see them get gimped. Usually they take some damage getting back to the stage, but they do get back. Good DI makes it so much easier, since recovering from higher gives you more options. It happens sometimes though, of course.

MK running in with shield, some options are grab, pivot grab, SB (if the shield is low of course, though they probably wouldn't use it if it is). Safest way would probably be pivot grab? Or you can just walk away a bit and react to what they do after they drop shield. Dash to DB as they are running in can also be used as a mixup.

Actually, if anyone else has anything on MK's dash to shield approach, I would like to know too. One of my friends does it a lot. He mixes it up with dashes to spotdodges as well, and it becomes a guessing game that I usually lose :/

C.J.

Smash Master
If MK is dashing at you they're bad. If they're dashing at you you get a pivot grab on them, basically always. MKs that dash are easy, MKs that walk are scary as ****.

earla

Smash Lord
thanks!

im aware grab speeds for standing, pivot + dash grab vary.

does the actual RANGE vary at all?

Top Bottom