• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
just a quickie here.

was practicing gr stuff on wario, cant seem to stutter step the fsmash reverse on him from gr. am i not suppossed to stutter step it or is my ss just not going long enough?

also in response to zulo: no its not guranteed, they can tech. if the try to jump out though u can hit with a fox trot tipperd fsmash out of fthrow sometimes if they dont anticipate it. watch mr R's messiah if u havent seen it done b4.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
zulo, there's no foxtrot/f-smash guaranteed on high percentages, they are just reads on the DI and opponents reactions, therefore what's seen on videos are just well done reads.

the only ones are the f-throw/f-smash at 0% and similar combos but all at 0%

Judo777

Smash Master
Quick question how many Marth mains don't also play MK regularly in tournament? I feel like its a common trend especially for Marth to also play MK or switch their main to MK.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
^Same as what Shaya said. Usually Frigate because I ban Brinstar.

Will also use MK against DDD if I don't feel up to trying very hard.

C.J.

Smash Master
just a quickie here.

was practicing gr stuff on wario, cant seem to stutter step the fsmash reverse on him from gr. am i not suppossed to stutter step it or is my ss just not going long enough?
There's no trick to it. You just have to get the timing down. You don't have to stutter step, it just makes the timing a little easier. But either way, you just have to practice it over and over until you get it down.

Quick question how many Marth mains don't also play MK regularly in tournament? I feel like its a common trend especially for Marth to also play MK or switch their main to MK.
I only go MK when I know I'd win anyway and don't want to exert the mental energy by using Marth.

Reizilla

Oh, I went MK agianst a GnW on Lylat once because I knew he liked to plank so I just lolololol dair stage spiked him through the stage.

Reizilla

What's the lowest % that dair out of grab release will kill MK if they get a reasonable amount of SDI inputs and DI perfectly?

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
So, obviously to play Marth competitively the C-stick is necessary for air attacks. My question though is: Do most people use standard controls and standard grip (as opposed to claw?) Isn't it annoying and/or uncomfortable to have to jump with Y and then move your thumb all the way down to the C-stick back and forth all day?

Is it expected that you use claw grip or perhaps map the jump button to Z or L or R or something? Just wondering what I should do, or what the "pros" do.

Thanks.

Reizilla

Claw isn't necessary, but it can only help, as long as you use it enough to make it comfortable. Changing your jump button is also a viable alternative. Some players don't claw at all and play with normal controls. It's just up how comfortable you feel with the control scheme and whether you feel you need it to improve your execution.

V

Smash Ace
You could map z to jump and x to grab, but I'm not sure what short hopping would be like with z. I just regular claw. I got so used to it that I literally do it with everybody. Even diddy/snake/falco.

:phone:

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
Hm, how many people map jump to Z, or even one of the trigger buttons? That sounds like a good idea. Can anyone confirm that short hopping works well with Z or trigger? I don't actually have a Gamecube controller on me right now =p

Thanks.

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
I claw, just asking other people who claw how they do it.

Indx finger on y and mddle fingerworking z and r?

I generally have my hand normally, most of my clwing happens after grabs and fh fair oos

:phone:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Short hopping with The Z Button works as well as anything else, it will just take time getting used to it.

By the way, I use the Wii Mote sideways.

Roxas M

Smash Master
Since the subject seems to be about clawing, what are it's advantages of it over just normal C-sticking? Is it like a visible difference in your input speed or is it just for people that aren't really comfortable with c-sticking?

Reizilla

Mostly for movement stuff. Try buffering a bair OoS without clawing. It can be fairly difficult to get to the c-stick in time if you use x/y to jump. Unless you use the joystick and A, but then you can't control your movement as well. Grab release to dair on MK is a bit easier with clawing.

It's just a tad quicker/easier on anything you'd have to make two inputs with your right hand, if you can get used to it.

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
Why is it necessary to use the c-stick for marth air attacks? Especially if you use x/y for jumping since the A button is closer than the c-stick?
Thanks in Advance.

Reizilla

If you use the stick to do your aerials, you're limiting your movement by committing to that direction, even if only momentarily. You won't be able to fully retreat moves and if you're approaching with something like fair, it can leave you with extra forward momentum, causing your spacing to get messed up.

Basically, you'll have more control over your character.

M

MysteryTigerTeen

I need some help guys, I need to start thinking of what's safe, start looking into frame data, other characters frame adv on block to see what I am capable of punishing with. Where can i learn this stuff?

Reizilla

There's a frame data thread, but Neo was saying it was wrong or something? Help, I wanna know too.

C.J.

Smash Master
There is none, lol

If you SDI up, he can utilt you. Away he can ftilt/grab you. Behind him he can turn around and keep doing it. You just have to mix it up. If he reads your SDI you get *****. You can, in theory, SDI up and buffer fair, but, it's not entirely realistic to do consistently.

Cormorant

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm fairly new at Marth and I was wondering something.

When I see somebody shielding the first hit of Dancing Blade, I try to end it with the green finisher with multiple pokes to try and eat away their shield. Is this the right thing to do if somebody shields the first hit of Dancing Blade?

C.J.

Smash Master

When I see somebody shielding the first hit of Dancing Blade, I try to end it with the green finisher with multiple pokes to try and eat away their shield. Is this the right thing to do if somebody shields the first hit of Dancing Blade?
No, that's actually pretty much the worst thing to do, lol.

Use the down variation of the third hit then stop. Never do the 4th hit on shield.

Tyler_ACE

Smash Cadet

well, it truly depends on the other player's tendencies. if you notice they tend to roll, then try bait them into it, and dash grab them (or pivot grab them if they roll behind you) if they tend to spotdodge, or stay in their shield, then go for the green dancing blade. be careful though, because some players like to shield grab you right after the 3rd hit, so just pay attention to what they do, and counter with a grab, or retreating Fair if they tend to shield grab :) hope this helps

Top Bottom