• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

MasterOfGalaxies

Smash Apprentice
What do you all think the MK ban will do to our metagame? Many characters were only being held back by the prevalence of MK, and some were where they were because of how well they did against MK. Should we worry about DDD, or Diddy, or another one of our tougher low tiered matches popping up more because they don't need to worry about MK?

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman
dancing blade,
expect the shine,
fthrow is awesome
be careful about your whiffs / spaced aerials on shield if they're rising /etc due to wolf's fsmash being pretty tops
learn to edgeguard him, it takes some practise but its very manageable to shut down his ledge options
get the spacing down for fairing (or bairing) his side b recovery, it's not too hard, but knowing the positioning for his various vertical placements to recover makes gimping him easier.
thanks shaya, a few clarifications. is ff fair a good thing to do in this MU? and f-throw to what? and i have a habit of countering his side-b sometimes, is this a safe option or no (it's worked most of the time for me so far)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Fthrow and just follow on. Wolf's weight and stuff makes it hard for him to avoid follow ups.

Stuff like pivot grabs, dashing fairs/dbs or dtilts work.

Countering his side b is fine, but off stage, you can counter it and not hit him and then you're in a irked situation.
If you can counter him while you still have a jump, then you're likely able to follow up with a guaranteed edgehod / fair gimp.

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
I know there is a thread to this, but the youtube videos are down and I don't quite get what the text is, can someone breakdown the exact steps to the DS ledge grab? And if perfected, does it work just as well as TL/L's zair?

Thanks in advance :]

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
1. Don't double post, edit your previous one.

2. Ledge drop
3. Jump
4. Time dolphin slash so you're close to adjacent to the ledge (it's something like so your hand is pretty much on the ledge already)

WHEN it first came out I couldn't do it. Then one day I did it accidentally and was like "WOW ITS THAT EASY".

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
What do you all think the MK ban will do to our metagame? Many characters were only being held back by the prevalence of MK, and some were where they were because of how well they did against MK. Should we worry about DDD, or Diddy, or another one of our tougher low tiered matches popping up more because they don't need to worry about MK?
Not really a quick question, but

Low tiers are low tier for a reason, not because of MK. DDD has plenty of terrible matchups he should worry about that will be just as prevalent, if not more so now. Only character that really may benefit that we "worry" about would maybe be ROB. I don't know if he has any other terrible matchups.

Diddy will be more common, but that's only as bad as MK. Maybe more of a pain in the *** though.

Hell, I would love it if all of the Toon Links, Peaches and other bad characters suddenly thought they were viable and started popping up everywhere xD

MasterOfGalaxies

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for my wordiness, I didn't know where else to ask. And thanks, that answers my question perfectly. I have always practiced by playing against lots of MKs, but now that won't be a problem, so I was wondering what really would now be a problem. I'll have to get better at using bananas. :p

C.J.

Smash Master
Kinda sorta. There are old MU threads somewhere. I have new ones up about Diddy and DDD. Working on one for Snake.

There are some MU write-ups in the social thread.

If there's something/a specific character you need help with, feel free to ask and someone will answer.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
With the current metagame, who do you guys feel the zss marth match up is? The chart currently says +1 for you guys but I don't understand why. Just wondering how you guys felt...

Nike.

Smash Hero
There's like a half dozen character's that think they go even with us (instead of the +1).
Zss is one of them.
It's also the only one I agree with lol.

Gike

Smash Cadet
I have huge Problems dealing with Olimars... especially when i try to approach, it's so frustrating. :(
Could someone please give me some tips on this Matchup?

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman
So would you guys rather fight :metaknight: on Cruise or Brinstar and why?
cruise, i feel like there is nothing, nothing i can do against mk on brinstar. He can attack from above, below, and from the sides and we're stuck in the center while we have to fend off his attacks from all around. On cruise, we have more mobility and can pull off a few gimps and whatnot. That's just my opinion though.

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
I have huge Problems dealing with Olimars... especially when i try to approach, it's so frustrating. :(
Correct me if I'm wrong more experienced people, but playing a good olimar alot, your best option is to fair it up, aside from oli'd Up special, he has no attack to cover his diagonal hit box. So just stay in the air, and try to knock him off stage (horizontal hit back rather than verticle) for a fairly easy gimp.
Hope this helps.

Tyler_ACE

Smash Cadet
I've had trouble with this MU as well, but Fair is one the best options for you as long as it's tippered. Approaching can be difficult (throwing pikmins, Fair, Bair, and Uspecial... ugh) so your best option is just to walk. Shield when he throws pikmin, and Nair works well when he tries to Fair or Bair you. There may be other options, but this usually helps me a lot in the MU. Hope it helps :3

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
Not really related to Brawl but it is related to Marth and I couldn't think of anywhere else to post this. Anyway what is the correct translation of his name? Is it Marth or Mars?

C.J.

Smash Master
No meteor smashes are transcendent. DB3down is a meteor smash. The rest of DB is transcendent.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Does anyone know if Marth counters a move, does that move get staled?

I suppose it shouldn't get staled since the move isn't doing percent to any one or any object, but still would like to know the answer to this.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
right C.J.

my bad, I was told the exact opposite.

So the right answer is that the move is NOT staled, but the counter attack is staled

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
fixed, thanks for the correction.

also, does someone knows exactly why marth loses his horizontal momentum when hit? It gave me a lot of problems on a recent tourney =/.
It happens with or without using DS so that's I'm not sure when happens.

I know you can cancel that with an aerial but is hard to notice it when I'm near the blast zone and sometimes it just doesn't go away even with momentum cancelling.

I ask this again because it can cut a lot of possibilities.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I'm pretty sure it's a Dolphin Slash thing and you probably had carry-over lag from using DS prior and not yet hitting the floor. At least, that's what it's always been in my experience. Do you have a video?

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
no, we were on a rush and just the finnals got saved =/

anyway, I'm gonna test this soon when I get my wii back, I also thought the same thing but that thing almost took a match so that's why I remember it.

Thanks anyway :)

Top Bottom