• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
so, the problem is my spacing?
how do i correct it?
just try to tip my moves?
or stay farther back or what?
That's a good mentality to have. Think "I'm gonna try to get all the tipper hits I can!" With that goal in your subconscience, it'll help a lot. Ofcourse, with practice.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Ok, so tilting your shield against shield breaker does not help. Charging shield breaker gives a slight boost to how much shield gets poked.

How about tipping shield breaker? Does that have any effect on how much shield gets eaten?

FTWin

Smash Cadet
im having issues with my 1 friends Wolf.
In technical aspects, he completely outplays me, but my mindgames help me keep up.
I'll have a video for everyone to see ofour gameplay ASAP, but until then, any minor tips for keeping up and overcoming? he plays a VERY basic wolf, but has monsterously quick handsfrom maining fox on melee.
Also, another one of my friends plays Pit.
Same case as before, technically he's better, but mindgames help me close the gap
He doesn't necessarily arrow spam, but no ones ever gonna tell him to use them more lol. But my main problem is that when I played him yesterday, that was my first real game versus a pit that wasn't a joke.
so, 1. could you hit a brotha up with a link to a thread helping me with pit, or 2. could I get some basic strategies for the basics of fighting pit? Approaching, etc.

thankyou so much in advance.
the marth boards are the friendliest I've been on =)
(P.S. I don't find the threads by myself because im on my phone and just finding this page was a monsterous pain the my butt lol)

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
im having issues with my 1 friends Wolf.
In technical aspects, he completely outplays me, but my mindgames help me keep up.
I'll have a video for everyone to see ofour gameplay ASAP, but until then, any minor tips for keeping up and overcoming? he plays a VERY basic wolf, but has monsterously quick handsfrom maining fox on melee.
Also, another one of my friends plays Pit.
Same case as before, technically he's better, but mindgames help me close the gap
He doesn't necessarily arrow spam, but no ones ever gonna tell him to use them more lol. But my main problem is that when I played him yesterday, that was my first real game versus a pit that wasn't a joke.
so, 1. could you hit a brotha up with a link to a thread helping me with pit, or 2. could I get some basic strategies for the basics of fighting pit? Approaching, etc.

thankyou so much in advance.
the marth boards are the friendliest I've been on =)
(P.S. I don't find the threads by myself because im on my phone and just finding this page was a monsterous pain the my butt lol)
1) Your friend is technically just better for you. Best we can do is see your gameplay and refer you to the Wolf Match-Up thread.
2) Same for Pit, but you must obviously learn to pressure and powershield.

Links for threads coming soon, will be encoded in the names for easy access =]

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so tilting your shield against shield breaker does not help. Charging shield breaker gives a slight boost to how much shield gets poked.

How about tipping shield breaker? Does that have any effect on how much shield gets eaten?
Tipping shield breaker does more damage. I guess that it would make little to no difference in shield breaking. You really should be worrying more about the actual application of SB. It'd be nigh impossible to hit a charged/tipped SB, I would think.

FTWin

Smash Cadet
next time I go to my friends house, i'&l capture a 2 outta 3 set of us for my wolf problem.
as for pit, powershielding is definitely something I could use improvement on, but I really think that one of my biggest problem is 0 experience against pit. I realize the best thing I can do is play him and practice and se what works, but my largest problem was getting to him and Staying close.
Also, idk about you guys, but IMO, Pit's Uair should jump into an active volcano

my Biggest problem is for sure my approach, so any tips on my approach? other than the obvious "stop sucking and powershield"? lol

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
my thoughts are horrible DI. i think the first regrab might be guaranteed/reliable since it usually is for a fast fallers, other than that it would be purely mindgaming. Since if fox is expecting an fthrow and DI's as such, a Dthrow would cause him to land nearby and vice versa.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
You CAN do dthrow to fthrow to fsmash. I do this all the time if Im facing away from the ledge, and I want to set a edgeguard.

Dthrow to fthrow to dair works on Falco as well.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Does anyone know what frame the hitbox of Marth's fsmash actually ends and he becomes vunerable?

Hitbox comes out on 10, lag ends on 49. When does the hitbox end?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I thought it was generally established/match up knowledge that Marth can cg Fox/Falco with fthrows and dthrows to around the 15% mark; considering how being able to score another grab kinda links with that tipper fsmash on many chars it doesn't seem too farfetched...

Also Fox I think is one of those few characters who actually are suspectable to fthrow to tipper fsmash at higher percents than many other characters. I think a list someone generated a while back had him at 2nd or 3rd most '*****' after DK and D3.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
The only reason I asked was because I saw some nice DI on his part at other parts of the video (otherwise he wouldnt have survived past 100%) but I saw him get ***** by that grab chain 4 times (it happened to him in another video as well). The dsmash one is what interesed me most because it landed after 2 throws and I've never seen any smash land AND tip that wasnt fsmash after a throw. Chances are its bad DI and good mindgames since fox will expect another fthrow after the first. In any event it appears that the japanese are stepping up their game in terms of the mixup/mindgame department (this could just be my opinion though).

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
next time I go to my friends house, i'&l capture a 2 outta 3 set of us for my wolf problem.
as for pit, powershielding is definitely something I could use improvement on, but I really think that one of my biggest problem is 0 experience against pit. I realize the best thing I can do is play him and practice and se what works, but my largest problem was getting to him and Staying close.
Also, idk about you guys, but IMO, Pit's Uair should jump into an active volcano

my Biggest problem is for sure my approach, so any tips on my approach? other than the obvious "stop sucking and powershield"? lol
Try mixing up how you approach. Try SHing, powershield walking, walk to dash or vice versa, anything that'll keep him guessing. Then once you in, just keep ****** him with attacks.

Sk8TR

Smash Rookie
Thanks
but another thing
when is it the best time to use up b out of sheild while vs Mr.G&W?
cuz hes never in range when he does his b air and i sheild it. then i up b but it misses
helpp?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Thanks
but another thing
when is it the best time to use up b out of sheild while vs Mr.G&W?
cuz hes never in range when he does his b air and i sheild it. then i up b but it misses
helpp?
If you shield a smash or tilt it'll work.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
no thats pretty standard controller usage. a lot of lpayers probably have to control their thumb enough so that it doesnt hit the c stick before marth even leaves the ground, cus then NO aerial comes out.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Dash slide pivot -> reverse shield breaker mind game = useful or no?

Also, I can't seem to manage doing dash -> reverse shield breaker. Is there possibly an easier way to do it?

Zenithal

Smash Rookie
Control question (sorry I made another topic, should have posted here before).

I use the wiimote/nunchuck control, with d-pad set to smashes, c as jump (for SHFair fun), and Z as sheild as usual.

Is this ok? It sometimes makes me smash spammy with them so easily used, and grabs can get annoying with A+B, but it's somewhat managable.

Does anyone else use this, or am I alone?

Zenithal

Smash Rookie
See, I would, but I really feel comfortable with the nunchuck setup. I just wish there was one more button so I could have grab. Or do you think it would be more advantageous to take off the smash buttons and get used to smashing the usual way, freeing up the d pad for grab (or c for grab, d pad for jump)?

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys think of playing in 1.5x speed?
I was doing training mode against lvl9 CPUs, and I thought "If I get used to the faster speed, won't I be able to react faster and better in real time?".
I tried it.
Once I got really comfortable, I switched back to normal speed.
I sucked, BUT I reacted much better. I had "more time" to think about what moves to use and plan.
Once I got used to the normal speed again, my overall gameplay was much smarter.
Then I eventually went back to not sucking, but now with smarter reactions.

Albert.

Smash Master
What do you guys think of playing in 1.5x speed?
I was doing training mode against lvl9 CPUs, and I thought "If I get used to the faster speed, won't I be able to react faster and better in real time?".
I tried it.
Once I got really comfortable, I switched back to normal speed.
I sucked, BUT I reacted much better. I had "more time" to think about what moves to use and plan.
Once I got used to the normal speed again, my overall gameplay was much smarter.
Then I eventually went back to not sucking, but now with smarter reactions.
I've done that

Theoretically it should help but I don't think it does.

play Melee for speed! lol

Mokkun

Smash Rookie
Erm...Wondering what's better to use.

Tap hop fair or X hop fair? I also prefer having a suggestion on using the C-stick or just the A button for it.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167

Tap hop fair or X hop fair? I also prefer having a suggestion on using the C-stick or just the A button for it.
Use X to jump and c-stick for aerials. This allows for optimal control.

VietGeek

Smash Hero

X or Y hop button for more consistent shorthops and C for retreating Fair, while you use A for instant fair if you must (C-stick is most recommended so you're free to use the control stick to move yourself as you are in an attack).

Bengals...shut your windows tonight.

Top Bottom