• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I have a question
How can I beat an Olimar?
Hez just so annoying like ugh
Nair is pretty good, you need good spacing, nice use of D-tilts, dancing blade and the rest. Just simply play well with a regular strategy but more airborne and you should win. I like fair and nair here, once he gets offstage, don't let him get back at all. His whistle is annoying but he pretty vulnerable to a spike.

He has really good range but with your quick sword swipes you can screw over his pikmin. If he gets one on you, use a quick fair or counter, counter if he's near you. Otherwise, he can punish you.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
I don't care for credit. The idea I was thinking of is that when they see you fly back their first instinct would probably be to gimp you. Then they see you charging a shield breaker and most people I think would be in a WTF state and either hold shield or drop their shield after realizing you're charging a shield BREAKER. A non charged usually won't break shield and is easier to side step from, getting you punished. I guess I'm just obsessed with Shield breaking right now. The main reasoning for using this is you can charge a full shield breaker while landing on the stage. With the ledge hop shield breaker method I haven't been successful in being able to charge it for more than half a second and still land within the stage.
Yes we all go through our individual move fetish moments :laugh: Just so you know fully charged shield breaker vs uncharged shield breaker have barely any difference in how much of the shield they wear away. In fact fully charged SB doesn't break a full shield. That's why it's recommended to just go uncharged.

Thanks Steel.

Just one last thing:

On average, based on how long you guess it would take to get in range, how many frames does MK have to spare before ADing/Fast Falling?
I'd guess about 11-13 frames since Marth can jump which takes 6 or 7 (too lazy to check) and fair comes out frame 4.

Ok thank u
But another thing iz the Dancing Blades miss sometimes becuz he iz a small character, or is dat just me?
It's just you. On the ground it should not miss. I don't know if you know this but if the Olimar you are playing doesn't know this you can do a full DB combo up or down variation on an Oli's full shield and the last hit will shield poke. But the Olimar player can simply tilt their shield up to avoid this however if they don't know, you're golden. Oddly enough the down variation doesn't shield poke.

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
I space with fairs and dtilts.
Opponents seem to easily get in when I land from my fair, even if I retreat.
Meaning, by the time the dtilt comes out, the opponent is either right next to me (at grab range).
I'm I not doing it right?

Wait, don't tell me... are these the times when I should use DB and DS?

>->
Hopefully I didn't just answer my own question.
Gotta make sure.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Yes we all go through our individual move fetish moments :laugh: Just so you know fully charged shield breaker vs uncharged shield breaker have barely any difference in how much of the shield they wear away. In fact fully charged SB doesn't break a full shield. That's why it's recommended to just go uncharged.

Yeah :( , I've hit so many fully charged shield breakers that didn't break shield... But hey, if spaced well enough then the opponent might hold their shield a bit and that alone with the shield breaker can possibly shield break. I actually find it easier to kill with shield breaker sometimes against more advanced players by charging it for mind games. Advanced players may side step on reaction, that may work with a non charged shield breaker and that's why I love charging it so much.

New shield breaker question:
Shield breaker to attack off stage yes or no? As long you don't use your second jump and don't fully charge the shield breaker then could it make a good situational mind game? DS with a side b stalled double jump should be able to get you back on the ledge right under a fully charged shield breaker I think. One person I've played has developed a spacing strategy when playing DK. When knocked off stage, he can cancel the lag from his up+b by spacing it correctly away from the stage. Since I play DK sometimes as my 5th character, I tried this myself and found it pretty easy to figure out the spacing for it. It's far enough that Marth cannot F-air there and land a hit. I was thinking about trying out shield breaker to go against this and I want to know what you guys think. If it lands he will more than likely die and if he decides to air dodge then he won't be able to recover.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Meaning, by the time the dtilt comes out, the opponent is either right next to me (at grab range).

>->
Gotta make sure.
You could try jabbing too. If they're catching you when you land and before d-tilt comes out you need to try spacing a bit further away. I assume you're poking their shield with f-air, try not hitting their shield and make them run into a d-tilt. Sometimes the best way to hit them is to not hit them in the first place.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion

>->
Gotta make sure.
Jab is a good option right after a fair.

Dancing Blade works as well, but if they dont try to move in they can just move away from it.

I used to have this problem a lot too. I wish our dtilt was MK's :(

Kishin

Smash Ace
I personally try and mix it up with stalled side b sometimes or I jump after the first F-air for a max of 3 F-airs.

EDIT: I have another question. What is the best method of not getting juggled in battlefield? I have been knocked down on a platform many times and I don't know what the best option is to get back on stage level. I get juggled pretty easy on a platform since it's so small. Is the best way to double jump away from the stage and try my luck getting back using the ledge? I've heard Marth is best on Battlefield and I agree, but I want to know how everyone gets around Marth's failure to attack anything under him when you get knocked down on a platform and fail to tech.

EDIT2: Is shield breaker the sexiest move in the game or what? I'm thinking dancing blade and shield breaker are pretty close but I think I'd have to say shield breaker wins.

Sieguest

Smash Master
I hope I'm not stating a blatant fact of life thing here because as I see you guys are geniuses, I learned a truckload of stuff from this thread. But I'd been hearing a lot of complaining in other places about not being able to stop Marth's Final Smash, but it is possible. I did it in training mode. After the initial b press, press b again to stop the attack! It extends the range a pancake and a half and still get amazing results. I tried it in a brawl against a cpu and it worked! (Sorry if I sound noobish)

But I do have one question: is Marth's Final Smash considered a projectile? My reason asking is because I was fighting cpu Wolf (lvl 9) and I used the attack, but as soon as I swung Wolf uses the reflector, and unless I'm crazy, Wolf was not hit at all! (just my luck i sound like a noob..)

Kishin

Smash Ace
I hope I'm not stating a blatant fact of life thing here because as I see you guys are geniuses, I learned a truckload of stuff from this thread. But I'd been hearing a lot of complaining in other places about not being able to stop Marth's Final Smash, but it is possible. I did it in training mode. After the initial b press, press b again to stop the attack! It extends the range a pancake and a half and still get amazing results. I tried it in a brawl against a cpu and it worked! (Sorry if I sound noobish)

But I do have one question: is Marth's Final Smash considered a projectile? My reason asking is because I was fighting cpu Wolf (lvl 9) and I used the attack, but as soon as I swung Wolf uses the reflector, and unless I'm crazy, Wolf was not hit at all! (just my luck i sound like a noob..)
It's not a projectile. The beginning of Wold's down+b (the reflector) gives him invincibility frames. This means he can't get damaged at all in those frames. The cpu Wolf just timed it well enough. It's equivalent to Marth hitting you while you're in an air dodge animation or sidestep animation. I think that it's possible to still hit him if you stop the final smash right before you hit him since as you said, it extends marth's range on the final smash and the hit box stays a little longer as well (perhaps long enough to hit past the invincibility frames).

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
New shield breaker question:
Shield breaker to attack off stage yes or no? As long you don't use your second jump and don't fully charge the shield breaker then could it make a good situational mind game? DS with a side b stalled double jump should be able to get you back on the ledge right under a fully charged shield breaker I think. One person I've played has developed a spacing strategy when playing DK. When knocked off stage, he can cancel the lag from his up+b by spacing it correctly away from the stage. Since I play DK sometimes as my 5th character, I tried this myself and found it pretty easy to figure out the spacing for it. It's far enough that Marth cannot F-air there and land a hit. I was thinking about trying out shield breaker to go against this and I want to know what you guys think. If it lands he will more than likely die and if he decides to air dodge then he won't be able to recover.
how do you mean cancel the lag and be far enough to not get hit? i imagine the DK using his upB in place some distance away from the ledge out or your run-off fair range, then moving in towards the end of the lag and snapping to the ledge. you have several responses to this, firstly, you can run off and double jump into your fair to catch his feet. you can also upB into his hand, the attacks will clash and you'll get your upB back to recover and he'll be further away. since DS does more damage than 1 measly hit of his DKNdo, you win the exchange as well as either gimp him or set up for more edgeguarding. If you're not comfortable going out to get him, since you can tell he'll be approaching the ledge towards the end of his upB you can time a quick ledge hug and use the invinc to ride out the last moments of his recovery. just the same you also have the ledgedrop quick upB back to the ledge. finally you can grab the edge and time a ledgehopped bair/dair.

EDIT: I have another question. What is the best method of not getting juggled in battlefield? I have been knocked down on a platform many times and I don't know what the best option is to get back on stage level. I get juggled pretty easy on a platform since it's so small. Is the best way to double jump away from the stage and try my luck getting back using the ledge? I've heard Marth is best on Battlefield and I agree, but I want to know how everyone gets around Marth's failure to attack anything under him when you get knocked down on a platform and fail to tech.
remember to tech. from a knock down position, you can use your get up attack for a short invincibility, if they attack during that time you have the opportunity to drop off the ledge. roll to either side, most characters can't reach through the entire platform. its a poor positon for you so a hit is sometimes inevitable but if you roll to one side of the platform you can di the hit away from the platform to get off. if you find yourself standing on the platform you can jump off it to the side. its all about trying to juke your opponent into making a bad move so you can rectify the situation.

But I do havae one question: is Marth's Final Smash considered a projectile? My reason asking is because I was fighting cpu Wolf (lvl 9) and I used the attack, but as soon as I swung Wolf uses the reflector, and unless I'm crazy, Wolf was not hit at all! (just my luck i sound like a noob..)
wolfs relfector gives him a brief moment of invincibility. i think zelda's does too. olimars whistle and ikes B moves give them super armor so they'll take the 70% without budging an inch. zelda's upB makes her invincible after disappearing up til just before reappearing. pokemon trainer and zelda are invincible when changing between characters. Marth's upB has 5 frames of invincibility, so does MK's i think. counter attacks have invulnerability. anyway, a lot of attacks give temp invincibility or super armor.

Kishin

Smash Ace
He uses up+b and spaces it so that it doesn't auto sweet spot the ledge and you just barely get back on the stage. If done correctly then after your up+b finishes with no lag and that can combo with a grab or whatever. I suppose I'm just getting overly obsessed about shield breaker and want to incorporate in my play as much as possible.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
He uses up+b and spaces it so that it doesn't auto sweet spot the ledge and you just barely get back on the stage. If done correctly then after your up+b finishes with no lag and that can combo with a grab or whatever. I suppose I'm just getting overly obsessed about shield breaker and want to incorporate in my play as much as possible.
I had this period aswell, but unless you can react a way and you can predict the way your opponent will react to it, you won't be breaking much shields. However you can use it randomly (not whiff random like mixup random aka SH SB) to get some good damage in.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
SB isn't just for breaking shields either. its every existence should alter you're opponents gameplay if they know you are not afraid to use it.

Also, it has great range, which makes it useful if your opponent has a move that outranges everything else you have or if they space just outside of your moves. SH SB is really handy when you're opponent is spacing with your Fair in mind.

With regards to the DKnado that doesn't auto sweetspot. you say hes using it to just make it to the stage and avoiding the edge altogether? if hes not gonna go for the ledge can't you just dtilt him away? i mean the biggest reason marth's Dtilt isnt the edgeguarding demon it was in melee is because of the 10 foot auto sweetspot that means your opponent will get invincibility frames almost the same instant they get inside your hitbox. if he doesn't go for the ledge you have your smashes and tilts to keep him off. he might not have lag from the move but he is still vulnerable to attacks on his way to the stage.
or does DK's recovery have some sort of invulnerability/super armor i've never noticed?

Kishin

Smash Ace
Well, I do break shields fairly often. My goal against anyone I haven't played before is to break their shield, at least once. Hearing that sound when their shield breaks is the best feeling in brawl.

I nominate shield breaker as the sexiest move in brawl.

New question:
In a stage like Battlefield, how safe is it to charge a shield breaker in the middle of the stage at your opponent, even if you are nowhere near your opponent? I do this just out of curiosity to see what they would do. I don't get punished for it, if I do it's more than often that they have a projectile. It seems pretty safe from my stand point. You can DS right after the SB is release if they decide to try and dash towards you. If they predict this then you have that top platform to land on. I highly doubt that they would be able to think that ahead mid battle. If they do then I'd give them props for that.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
I personally try and mix it up with stalled side b sometimes or I jump after the first F-air for a max of 3 F-airs.

EDIT2: Is shield breaker the sexiest move in the game or what? I'm thinking dancing blade and shield breaker are pretty close but I think I'd have to say shield breaker wins.
If you fail to tech, its always a guaranteed hit no matter who you are. You can prevent this by teching (duh) or performing something in the air so you don't land while in a tumble animation. Your best bet though is to jump and get to the ledge if anything.

SB is not the sexiest move in the game. Sorry.

wolfs relfector gives him a brief moment of invincibility. i think zelda's does too. olimars whistle and ikes B moves give them super armor so they'll take the 70% without budging an inch. zelda's upB makes her invincible after disappearing up til just before reappearing. pokemon trainer and zelda are invincible when changing between characters. Marth's upB has 5 frames of invincibility, so does MK's i think. counter attacks have invulnerability. anyway, a lot of attacks give temp invincibility or super armor.
MK is invincibility only on frame 5 when the hitbox comes out and he doesn't have invincibility if he performs it in the air.

Sieguest

Smash Master
It's not a projectile. The beginning of Wold's down+b (the reflector) gives him invincibility frames. This means he can't get damaged at all in those frames. The cpu Wolf just timed it well enough. It's equivalent to Marth hitting you while you're in an air dodge animation or sidestep animation. I think that it's possible to still hit him if you stop the final smash right before you hit him since as you said, it extends marth's range on the final smash and the hit box stays a little longer as well (perhaps long enough to hit past the invincibility frames).
Oh thanks, I did some more experimenting with it and if you do time the manual press right then the attack may last long enough to hit wolf.

Nightshine

Smash Journeyman
Well if they spot dodge your dtilt you don't really have to do a Dsmash. You can just do another Dtilt or go into a dancing blade (or do another Dtilt into a DB). But if they are at high percents then doing a Dsmash could kill them, but then possibly the DB up version could as well. I'm not sure if Dsmash is able to punish a spot dodge from Dtilt but these are just some more options for you legion. It helps tp keep your opponent guessing by mixing it up.

Kishin

Smash Ace
How safe is charging shield breaker in the middle of Battlfield?

How do you get around this Olimar tactic:
You are doing some retreating F-airs and this Olimar dash and shields close to you. There's no way you can get out of range of his grab so what do you do? Up+b is too risky if it missed or he shields it. Is there an absolute SAFE method to get around this?

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
How safe is charging shield breaker in the middle of Battlfield?

How do you get around this Olimar tactic:
You are doing some retreating F-airs and this Olimar dash and shields close to you. There's no way you can get out of range of his grab so what do you do? Up+b is too risky if it missed or he shields it. Is there an absolute SAFE method to get around this?
Hit his shield with a retreating fair, you can either land a bit away from him, or on your second jump you can jump away.

Stick with short hop approaches, but dont land right in front of him.

You can grab him obviously, or use a dancing blade and try to shield stab him. Down tilt is also a good option.

Fatalzyntax

Smash Apprentice
What is Nair's usage...? I don't feel like I'm doing it right. I use it as a ledge hop punishing tool and a long hit box tool. And sometimes I use it just like I would for in-and-out fairs.

But mainly, overall, what is the whole usage of the nair game?
And is it better to generally do rising or falling nairs? Falling nairs feel safer but rising nairs feel better for DI

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
What is Nair's usage...? I don't feel like I'm doing it right. I use it as a ledge hop punishing tool and a long hit box tool. And sometimes I use it just like I would for in-and-out fairs.

But mainly, overall, what is the whole usage of the nair game?
And is it better to generally do rising or falling nairs? Falling nairs feel safer but rising nairs feel better for DI
I use rising nairs if the opponent is in the air or on a higher ledge, falling nairs as a multihit mixup for fair.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
If you are in the middle of doing a SH and an olimar runs up to you into a shield couldn't you just change the reatreating SH into an approaching one and FF into a grab? if his shield isn't full you can hesitate a split second and break it with sb. theres no really guaranteed way to get around most tactics, as there are option that'll compensate for those. its best to utilize multiple options, if you have more options than he has responses that will be more discouraging for him than a consistent method that he can work around eventually.

reguarding Nair, its a great edgeguarding tool since the long hitbox will punish a poorly timed airdodge, also since it autocancels, if your opponent airdodges the whole thing you have minimal lag when you land so if you land a little earlier than them you have time to punish.

Top Bottom