• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
k so quick question for Marth mains,

in tourney play, would y'all rather not face a good pit or a good diddy?

i think both matches are 60:40 marths favor but id just like to get some opinions

or in other words which would be an easier match to win for Marth?
If i face a pit, i expect to advance a spot in my bracket (provided he doesnt character cp or stage cp me). Diddy is more dangerous. We can duck arrows, we cant duck bananas lol :laugh:

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
You can perform about 6 successive footstools without touching the ground, each with degenerating height. Footstool height regenerates upon contact with the ground. More importantly, when footstooled you enter a tumbling animation into the air which carries a bit of stuntime, on the ground you will do a little dip and stand still as you keel over from being stepped on.

Marth has pretty good jump height. Like most characters his double jump is not have as much height as the first standing jump.

Something that baffles me, it seems at the most random times, I will use my double jump within some ambiguous physical proximity of my opponent and gain an absurd amount of height from it. The other day I was playing my friend's falco and I was recovering to the stage after i got fsmashed and before I land i DJ Fair since he was going for a follow up. my dj carried me from about stage level to the top platform on battlefield. it wasn't a footstool because I wasn't THAT close to him when i jumped, and there was no footstooling animation either it was a simple DJ aerial which carried an absurd height. it also had no visible effect on my opponent who likewise whiffed his attacked because my marth decided to put his cape to use and fly.

anyone have an explanation for this? it only ever happens when i DJ Aerial really close to my opponent but i never see anything remotely close to a footstool animation.

For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcn7QzkqK2k&feature=rec-HM-r2
5:22 into the vid marth uses his dj and then does a huge third jump over mk. instantaneous without the typical footstool animations.

Also, I see it in discussion, i've tried looking it up all over the mk threads, but whats planking?

Lastly, any brawlers at UCSD wanna play me?

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
How do you marths do in 2v2s or FFA's, usually?
Every time I play them my self esteem plummets because... ugh.
I just really suck at group brawls.

Anyways,
What are some followups for a fair or throw?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
How do you marths do in 2v2s or FFA's, usually?
Every time I play them my self esteem plummets because... ugh.
I just really suck at group brawls.

Anyways,
What are some followups for a fair or throw?
Well if the opponent is at low %s, you probably can do another Fair if they don't DI back or air dodge. If so, you can land and jab, DB, or DTilt.

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
Are there any brawl AT's necessary for me to learn to play competitivley with Marth? I mean, besides like shieldgrabbing, but other techs not as popular?

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I know how to pivotgrab, just not very well >_< I need alot of practice lol I just picked up the game for the first time in four months.

What is pivot Dtilt

KRiMz0N

Smash Journeyman
my feet are draggin down on this dusty old road
stutter stepping is where you dash and then hit the cstick directly afterwards in the direction you dashed in, so the character gets a small advance before attacking

you can also reverse stutter step, which is to dash one way and attack the opposite direction

it's best used with marth for spacing purposes, so you can tip

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
How do I become good with Marth? Why are tournaments the holy grail that improves players? How come there isn't any improvement in my Marth no matter what I do?

Another question i have is that I was running and trying to do a reverse DB but sometimes it would become a reverse shield breaker and marth slide a bit anyone do this before? was it just dumb luck? Is it pointless? It seems pointless to me but it seemed pretty cool the distance on the SB was pretty huge.

Oh yeah i've been able to fthrow > fsmash tip on characters that were in the 40's is this bad DI or does it owrk on some characters?

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
How do I become good with Marth? Why are tournaments the holy grail that improves players? How come there isn't any improvement in my Marth no matter what I do?

Another question i have is that I was running and trying to do a reverse DB but sometimes it would become a reverse shield breaker and marth slide a bit anyone do this before? was it just dumb luck? Is it pointless? It seems pointless to me but it seemed pretty cool the distance on the SB was pretty huge.

Oh yeah i've been able to fthrow > fsmash tip on characters that were in the 40's is this bad DI or does it owrk on some characters?
Any tourneys with good competition are good practice. If your winning the tournament, its too easy. Im not putting you down but, you really WANT to get *****, its one of the best ways to get better.

Reverse DB becoming a reverse shield breaker? Then your pressing the control stick after you press B, which is not the right way to do it. Press the opposite direction at the same time as you press B.

Fthrow to fsmash at 40%? Thats probably bad DI lol.

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
I might finally go to a tournament soon.

So..
Why exactly do tournaments help your gameplay?
Like... do you learn what works and what doesn't?
Do your reactions improve?
Do tournaments just give you good players to play against?
I fear getting ***** at a tournament but not improving at all, is that even possible?

Just wondering, I simply MUST get better lmfao.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
At your first tourney your likely gonna be really nervous and do badly because of it. But thats just natural. Just have fun with the game and youll slowly get better.

Ask questions from people better then you and play the best players you can play.

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
At your first tourney your likely gonna be really nervous and do badly because of it. But thats just natural. Just have fun with the game and youll slowly get better.

Ask questions from people better then you and play the best players you can play.
Yeah lol, it'd be so like me to be nervous.
I get jittery whenever I play a human player. I have this weird thing of wanting to prove myself, even if it's just friendlies. This is unfortunate for me, because my Marth is 23489572345x better when I'm calm and can think straight..

ask questions, play good people... hmm got it lol.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
You can perform about 6 successive footstools without touching the ground, each with degenerating height. Footstool height regenerates upon contact with the ground. More importantly, when footstooled you enter a tumbling animation into the air which carries a bit of stuntime, on the ground you will do a little dip and stand still as you keel over from being stepped on.

Marth has pretty good jump height. Like most characters his double jump is not have as much height as the first standing jump.

Something that baffles me, it seems at the most random times, I will use my double jump within some ambiguous physical proximity of my opponent and gain an absurd amount of height from it. The other day I was playing my friend's falco and I was recovering to the stage after i got fsmashed and before I land i DJ Fair since he was going for a follow up. my dj carried me from about stage level to the top platform on battlefield. it wasn't a footstool because I wasn't THAT close to him when i jumped, and there was no footstooling animation either it was a simple DJ aerial which carried an absurd height. it also had no visible effect on my opponent who likewise whiffed his attacked because my marth decided to put his cape to use and fly.

anyone have an explanation for this? it only ever happens when i DJ Aerial really close to my opponent but i never see anything remotely close to a footstool animation.

For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcn7QzkqK2k&feature=rec-HM-r2
5:22 into the vid marth uses his dj and then does a huge third jump over mk. instantaneous without the typical footstool animations.

Also, I see it in discussion, i've tried looking it up all over the mk threads, but whats planking?

Lastly, any brawlers at UCSD wanna play me?
bump for ignoredness.

Villi

Smash Lord
He footstooled Meta's shield. I've done it plenty of times. I'm not certain, but I think it's also possible to footstool people while they're in attack animations. Neither scenario puts them in footstool stun.

I randomly footstool people all the time, and it's pretty obvious to me when I get a footstool instead of a double jump because of the height difference. I just use it as a chance to play a random mind game since I know I still have a jump left but they might think I don't.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Any tourneys with good competition are good practice. If your winning the tournament, its too easy. Im not putting you down but, you really WANT to get *****, its one of the best ways to get better.

Reverse DB becoming a reverse shield breaker? Then your pressing the control stick after you press B, which is not the right way to do it. Press the opposite direction at the same time as you press B.

Fthrow to fsmash at 40%? Thats probably bad DI lol.

I get ***** all the time....unless I'm playing my friends. Thanks for the other answers.....

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
What are the advantages/disadvantages of fighting L.9 CUPs to prep for tourneys?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
What are the advantages/disadvantages of fighting L.9 CUPs to prep for tourneys?
Disadvantages:

They suck. They have inhuman reflexes, horrific recovery, and are stupid.

Advantages:

Better than playing an opponent in a coma if you haven't played for like 9 years. But seriously, playing a human once a month is better than practicing on 9's. Practice on 3's.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
lol practicing on cpus = fail for brawl :/ especially with a marth :x only thing you could really practice would be grab release

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
But then what about online? They're humans, but mine is extremely laggy and has red/yellow every time. Would the lag screw up mah spacing too much? That or CPU's which ones worse/better? Plus I live too far to go to weekley fests and don't get my license until Feb nxt year.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I think the knock on line is BS. I'd rather play thousands of matches online against home opponents that CG and ****. Compared to some ****ty level 9 comp. All my moves may not come out the way I want them but I can still learn from the matches and get a better feeling of what to expect from characters. I have a lot of games where you can't even tell that were online. I think the problem lies when random person is stealing their neighbors connection and they wonder why it's so laggy.

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
I think the knock on line is BS. I'd rather play thousands of matches online against home opponents that CG and ****. Compared to some ****ty level 9 comp. All my moves may not come out the way I want them but I can still learn from the matches and get a better feeling of what to expect from characters. I have a lot of games where you can't even tell that were online. I think the problem lies when random person is stealing their neighbors connection and they wonder why it's so laggy.
Lol dam Johnsons... I get what your saying though.

EDIT: Krimzon happy 200th post!

Top Bottom