• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Spade1

Smash Apprentice
Anyone ever play olimar + marth for teams? (olimarth haha) like any tricks or perks that you can do while playing this combo?

j/w since I'll be playing this in a tourney but I don't really have much tourney xp... (none)

DeathxTouch

Smash Apprentice
I am sure this question has been asked already but there are so many pages and I am not in the mood to look for it. Does Marth DI with Uair or Fair. Also the term smash DI just refers to using your C-Stick to DI?

DeathxTouch

Smash Apprentice
Ok thanks, I was just playing some friendlies and I was DIing with Fair but others suggest Uair. Was my definition of smash DI correct?

Villi

Smash Lord
There are tourneys listed on allisbrawl for norcal. Look up CGC @ sf state, Why Read in San Leandro, D20 this weekend in Alameda, the last Yuba monthly is coming up... various random ones come up but CGC is biweekly and Why Read is monthly.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
You need tap jump on.

Simply input your up b move while shielding, and you will Up B OOS.

I'm sure you can do Usmash out of shield too, but I'm not sure exactly how to do it.

Smash Journeyman
Whats the fastest way to use forward smash out of a run? Using a sheild drop or just taking your finger off the analog stick until your character comes to a crouch?

Smash Journeyman
When your character is running, and you take your finger off the analog stick, your character will start to slow down and go into this animation that looks like he is almost crouching. The part where your character is crouching a little bit can be cancelled with just about any non-special move. I think. I havent tested it at all so I asked here.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Whats the fastest way to use forward smash out of a run? Using a sheild drop or just taking your finger off the analog stick until your character comes to a crouch?
I would answer this question if i thought the answer would be useful in any situation. Why would you be running to someone just to do an fsmash? Thats worse than jumping into an ocean of ****. I can see running into shield but doing and fsmash right after just seems reckless to me. I dont think your opponent can mess up that badly to give you a window where an fsmash will land and KO them (thats the ultimate goal of fsmash otherwise u are making it stale for no good reason).

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I would answer this question if i thought the answer would be useful in any situation. Why would you be running to someone just to do an fsmash? Thats worse than jumping into an ocean of ****. I can see running into shield but doing and fsmash right after just seems reckless to me. I dont think your opponent can mess up that badly to give you a window where an fsmash will land and KO them (thats the ultimate goal of fsmash otherwise u are making it stale for no good reason).
I've actually done it be4 I think I fthrow dash then fsmashed. I think it was luck and I think I was trying to do shfair but it just game out like that. I was close to edge when it happened.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
It takes a massive blunder for marth to be able to dash into an fsmash. i believe the fastest you can Fsmash out of dash is dash -> shield -> drop fsmash. considering shielding is 2 frames up and down iirc, the fastest you can smash is 14 frames after reaching the desired distance, if they are far enough away that you need to to enter a full dash (as opposed to stutter step) that probably means they've done something to give you roughly 60 frames of free time? i don't buy it.

i would rather dash into a ds/db, hitbox comes out much faster with those.

Smash Journeyman
Obviously im not gonna pass up an opportunity to use dancing blade or dolphin slash in order to try to hit with a Fsmash, im just curious to see what is faster. But thanks GPEternity.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
because when you dash at your opponent they will react in ways the typically well not turn out well for you.

1- they might attack, which will usually beat your fsmash. this is why dash -> shield is used.
2- they might block, which will result in your fsmash getting punished
3- they might spotdodge, which will typically last long enough to dodge the smash.
4- they might roll, either direction will usually be sufficient to get behind your smash or away from it. rolling behind you will result in **** of your lag and rolling away will simply reset the situation with you in lag.

Spade1

Smash Apprentice
oh oops I forgot he was talking about only approaching. What I meant to say was fox trot f smash could serve a purpose given the situation.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
you try to come up with a situation in which you could safely fox trot into an fsmash. keep in mind fsmash takes 10 frames to come out on top of however many frames marth's foxtrot takes to start, move, and end.

only thing i can think of is you are 2 dash lengths away from snake and he decides to try an fsmash in the hopes you will dash all the way up to his face and get hit by it. or your opponent is recovering and you know for one reason or another that they will miss the ledge and land on stage with enough lag that you will be able to fsmash but are at that moment too far away. bearing in mind that foxtrots have a set distance, meaning that even if these situations arise, the positioning needs to be favorable.
the other option is foxtrotting into a pivot smash as a defensive move to hit where you were given the expectation that your opponent will move into the area after you dash away from it. in most situations where you are retreating as an offensive and defensive maneuver, dash pivot db or boosted pivot grabs tend to be better options by far.
the odds that you will be in a situation where dashing into an fsmash is your best option is quite low.

Spade1

Smash Apprentice
the other option is foxtrotting into a pivot smash as a defensive move to hit where you were given the expectation that your opponent will move into the area after you dash away from it. in most situations where you are retreating as an offensive and defensive maneuver, dash pivot db or boosted pivot grabs tend to be better options by far.
the odds that you will be in a situation where dashing into an fsmash is your best option is quite low.
that's what i was thinking. Perhaps mk attempting the flying attack or fair and you could potentially apply this here with fsmash for an kill on certain percents.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Excuse me Marth boards, how does the decay system for Dancing Blades work? Is it all one hit or is it that with every strike that hits it counts towards the tally? how about the final Green attack, is it the same as using a Red or Blue attack that it's one attack (or the full combo a hit, then this shouldn't be applicable) or does each hit of the multi-strike count towards the tally?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Excuse me Marth boards, how does the decay system for Dancing Blades work? Is it all one hit or is it that with every strike that hits it counts towards the tally? how about the final Green attack, is it the same as using a Red or Blue attack that it's one attack (or the full combo a hit, then this shouldn't be applicable) or does each hit of the multi-strike count towards the tally?
1. They each count for one hit, so if you hit with two full DB, almost all of your decay will be gone.
2. 4th down hit counts towards one like all of the others, but unfortunately, 4th down while doing the most damage is the easiest to DI out and vs. MK is pretty impractical.

Top Bottom