• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

vaderseven

Smash Apprentice
Pivots

When and into what? Why?

I havent been able to find anything on marth for this and Im thinking that :

A - Grabs (obvious universal tech really) : Good Range

B - Forward Smash (?) : More stealthy approach that gets you in range

Really I am no pro. So please just expand this in a huge way. Mention matchups that come to mind, situations, risks, ect ect.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
gah... Any suggestions for killing a fsmash spamming wolf? I mean anything really humiliating... lol.
Shield it, shield jump aerial, Dolphin Slash, shield release Dancing Blade...etc. etc.

It's laggier than people think...unless it's Wi-Fi.

But Wi-Fi is not serious at all.

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
So I have a couple Marth related questions on PS2. On the electricity stage (while on the conveyer belt), I DB'ed to my fourth down hit. I did the fourth hit near the edge, which proceeded to launch me fifty feet off of the stage, unable to recover. Can anybody explain this? Also, on the flying stage, I was able to first hit DB up to infinity and beyond, which took a while to come back down. I'm presuming that this was from the boosted jump, but does Marth really get that much lift from the first hit DB? Just wondering.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
So I have a couple Marth related questions on PS2. On the electricity stage (while on the conveyer belt), I DB'ed to my fourth down hit. I did the fourth hit near the edge, which proceeded to launch me fifty feet off of the stage, unable to recover. Can anybody explain this? Also, on the flying stage, I was able to first hit DB up to infinity and beyond, which took a while to come back down. I'm presuming that this was from the boosted jump, but does Marth really get that much lift from the first hit DB? Just wondering.
Marth leans forward during DB4 green and yes it was the boost jump + the already up push combined. Weird DB physics man.

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
Marth leans forward during DB4 green and yes it was the boost jump + the already up push combined. Weird DB physics man.
Tell me about it.... Rukkio whats your FC (or do you play wifi) and do you want to brawl me sometime?

Smash Journeyman
Hey sorry i've been asking really dumb questions lately but when you use dancing blade in mid-air, does it you bring forward or backwards at all or does it just keep you in the same spot and slow down your falling speed?

I never use it in my recovery except for after my second jump but i'm just curious to see if it has any effect on your horizontal movement.

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
Hey sorry i've been asking really dumb questions lately but when you use dancing blade in mid-air, does it you bring forward or backwards at all or does it just keep you in the same spot and slow down your falling speed?

I never use it in my recovery except for after my second jump but i'm just curious to see if it has any effect on your horizontal movement.
The first hit of the firswt time you use it in midair moves you slightly forward. After that, it just stalls falling a little bit

Random Marth Guy

Smash Rookie
Guys, I can't beat my friend's Ike! Ike just outranges everything I do in the air! ;_; And his jab combo... ;-;

What do I do? I'm going to a tournament soon and would not want to get beat by some...

dare I say it?

RANDOM IKE GUY!

Much love to everyone who helps! <3

~ RMG

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Tell me about it.... Rukkio whats your FC (or do you play wifi) and do you want to brawl me sometime?
it's in my postbit; anytime.

Guys, I can't beat my friend's Ike! Ike just outranges everything I do in the air! ;_; And his jab combo... ;-;

What do I do? I'm going to a tournament soon and would not want to get beat by some...

dare I say it?

RANDOM IKE GUY!

Much love to everyone who helps! <3

~ RMG
Go review the Ike match-up. But simply put, pressure, pressure, PRESSURE! Your faster and you can win by simply getting him off-stage (counter vs his UpB is win).

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
For ike, the main thing is realizing that your fair comes out faster than ikes. Sure he outranges you but if you see him jump then you instantly jump and fair, chances are you will hit him first. Faster move > longer range move in some occasions. Once you get ike offstage, gimp him HARD.

Pandii

Smash Rookie
What do you do when you go against a defensive wario? I've tried f-tilting him while he does retreating aerials but sometimes it's just too slow, would a jab work there? Approaching seems incredibly hard >.<

In general, what do you guys use jabs for and what to do after the jab hits (since the second one is laggy).

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Pivots

When and into what? Why?

I havent been able to find anything on marth for this and Im thinking that :

A - Grabs (obvious universal tech really) : Good Range

B - Forward Smash (?) : More stealthy approach that gets you in range

Really I am no pro. So please just expand this in a huge way. Mention matchups that come to mind, situations, risks, ect ect.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.
There's not much use for pivot fsmash, unless you are talking about strut-step fsmash, which is good for getting the tip in on situations where standing fsmash wouldn't (like out of a throw at early %s).
pivot grab is amazing. It's tricky to learn, but use it to punish spotdodge, while FF behind an opponent, or sometimes a crossup after nair hit one when it autocancels. Use retreating pivot grab against an aggressive ground approach (like MK dash) or even certain telegraphed aerial movements like MK tornado.
There's a lot more use for it, but those are the first things that come to mind.

ViCTORiOUSViC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
vmp5511
it's in my postbit; anytime.

Go review the Ike match-up. But simply put, pressure, pressure, PRESSURE! Your faster and you can win by simply getting him off-stage (counter vs his UpB is win).
yea Rukk should kno..he knows all of my Ike moves..n yes countering his upB always gives a good knockback

Smash Journeyman
You have to charge it all the way to make you go flying. I totally forgot about that move haha.

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
You can get a boost even if you don't charge shieldbreaker all the way.
Be careful when using SB to boost yourself, though. You don't wanna go under the stage lol.
You really shouldn't have to use this much/at all anyways.

Pandii

Smash Rookie
How do you approach a defensive wario? Would a jab work there? His aerial game is intimidating o.o;

In general, what do you guys use jabs for and what to do after the jab hits (since the second one is laggy).

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I think the controller port is only important when you go up against snake so I'd just go 4 to be on the safe side.

dragon.myrrh

Smash Rookie
Does the first hit of nAir (if it's tipped) offer enough stun to make SH fAir nAir a decent lead onto something else (dTilt or fSmash... something like that)?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I think the first hit of marths nair combos into almost all of his moves. There used to be a thread on it but I can't remember where it was at.

Top Bottom