• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
You can get a boost even if you don't charge shieldbreaker all the way.
Be careful when using SB to boost yourself, though. You don't wanna go under the stage lol.
You really shouldn't have to use this much/at all anyways.
Sorry had to correct this. You do want to recover low, but unpredictably. Stall out there invincibilty frames with DB, use you double jump, and UpB for a safe recovery, possibly stage spike.

Spade1

Smash Apprentice
When you hit someone in midair with DB1, does that usually mean you can follow up with an aerial safely?

Like for example if they are trying to get back on stage and you jump and hit them with db1 - is fair usually guaranteed afterwards? I was playing a friend who kept getting hit by it, but idk if he was just getting hit by it because he's a nub or it's supposed to hit. Thanks in advance.

I'd like to know that too. I noticed one could almost get a footstool or Dair spike after DB1 SHed against someone who is grounded.

Sieguest

Smash Master
When you hit someone in midair with DB1, does that usually mean you can follow up with an aerial safely?

Like for example if they are trying to get back on stage and you jump and hit them with db1 - is fair usually guaranteed afterwards? I was playing a friend who kept getting hit by it, but idk if he was just getting hit by it because he's a nub or it's supposed to hit. Thanks in advance.
It's worked most of the times I've done it, but then again I might fall into the same boat as you as I out do my cousin just skill wise.

MikeSanti

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5242-9800

When in midair, the opponent should be able to air dodge or attack depending on how fast that attack comes out. Fair won't always be guaranteed.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
DB1 in the air is -4 advantage for an opponent's attacks.
They can airdodge a lot earlier though.

As long as you're spacing a db1 in the air reasonably well (you can b-reversal it to give you a glimmer of horizontal spacing), you're pretty safe from all counterattacks... Especially because of the lovely frame trap of a sexyphin slash.

It's good for stopping characters who are using a special... like up bs... tornados... etc. As you aren't going to clash or get outprioritised like fair would by using transcended priority to stop the attack.

V

Smash Ace
What are a couple good stages to take Wario to? What stage should I ban in a tourney? Play a ground game or air game? Thanks

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
school tourney tomorrow.
I know for a fact that I have the ability to win in the singles, but I don't know how to control my nerves.
I'll probably be nervous as hell and mess up.

HOW 2 CALM DOWN?

Anyways...

I've noticed a lot of good players use more SHFFs than rising fairs, why is this and how do I "properly use" SHFF? Do I chain it into a dtilt/DB?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I've noticed a lot of good players use more SHFFs than rising fairs, why is this and how do I "properly use" SHFF? Do I chain it into a dtilt/DB?
Less overall commitment lag. Use it to wall, vary your approach w/e. Chain it if you get a hit, or if you're still at same dtilt distance (tipped).

I might be wrong on it being used due to less overall commitment lag. I don't win tourneys or get close to so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
remember when viet would consistently get 5th w. marth? lol

course its georgia so that probably equivalents to somewhere around 25th at a real tournament

vitamin shff fair can combo into dancing blade at low percents

Spade1

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone ever tested FF fair to fsmash to be a combo?

I think given certain circumstances, Marth's FF fair should combo into f-smash tipped, ending around 70% or so on light characters but even greater on heavy chars. I'm not sure how hit decay would play into this though.

circumstances being - marth moving towards opponent, used like jiggly's rest.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
remember when viet would consistently get 5th w. marth? lol

course its georgia so that probably equivalents to somewhere around 25th at a real tournament

vitamin shff fair can combo into dancing blade at low percents
Or better yet dtilt>DB at low %'s :D

lol poor viet. i think ur the bees knees ;)

TreK

Is "that guy"
which of each of DB's states has the most range ? Cus i like green DB3's properties but it somewhat lacks range and i sometimes get punished for it.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
If you are getting punished for using DB then that means your'e just throwing it around and none of the previous strikes had connected. So I suggest you use it with some more descertion and if the first strike doesn't connect then stop.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
grab release > dair. How is that help some of you guys with the MK match up make it harder easier or do you not even try for it?

TreK

Is "that guy"
nah i promise you sometimes it hits with the first two and that one just fails... I must be too slow if it's guaranteed *goes to training mode*

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
nah i promise you sometimes it hits with the first two and that one just fails... I must be too slow if it's guaranteed *goes to training mode*
When the third one fails is it a different color than the first two? That may be your problem.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Dancing Blade is not a fast move, as in you're doing it too slow if you're not getting all four hits

It's a rhythm. Tough to tell you what the rhythm is, but just try all sorts of rhythms and eventually it'll just come to you.

And does grab release to dair really work on MK? lol even if I would miss the spike I'd probably just use it to give a near useless move a use

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
is there a thread depicting marth's hitboxes or are they so out of whack that it doesn't matter
Actually, I'm not sure if there is a thread dedicated to hitboxes only, but I would make one if there wasn't. But yeah, marth has ridiculous range, so it's almost not needed.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Actually, I'm not sure if there is a thread dedicated to hitboxes only, but I would make one if there wasn't. But yeah, marth has ridiculous range, so it's almost not needed.
hmm that sounds like an excellent project I want to be involved in *scribbles in notepad*
if only we had those blob models and debug mode like in Melee... sigh -_-

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Meta knight outranges Marth in every single way except for JAB when it comes to (hitbox-hurtbox) [i.e. disjointed) range. [Not sure about aerial range, this is ground range only, we're completely dominated]

You don't want to become as emo as I was trying to test that. It hurts... It hurts a lot.

Every day I test things, all that I'm proving is that Meta Knight makes Marth obsolete.
The only thing he really has going for him is the ability to DASH into a transcended priority move (dancing blade). Which makes approaching some characters better... That's it... Oh and above-par aerial priority.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Meta knight outranges Marth in every single way except for JAB when it comes to (hitbox-hurtbox) [i.e. disjointed) range. [Not sure about aerial range, this is ground range only, we're completely dominated]

You don't want to become as emo as I was trying to test that. It hurts... It hurts a lot.

Every day I test things, all that I'm proving is that Meta Knight makes Marth obsolete.
The only thing he really has going for him is the ability to DASH into a transcended priority move (dancing blade). Which makes approaching some characters better... That's it... Oh and above-par aerial priority.
Did I ever say I was disagreeing with u? MK is broken in range.

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
Oh and above-par aerial priority.
... so in golf, above par is bad, but below par is good... so does that mean :confused:

WAIT JK JK JK JK JK

I was playing on smashville the other day, and shdair'd up to the platform, and the platform somehow cancelled my dair and got rid of landing lag.

Explainations?

Top Bottom