• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
^ eh... not really =\ i mean she has projectiles her jumps are totally dif and her game style is entirely another world... the only real similarity is gender.

referring to peach

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
^ eh... not really =\ i mean she has projectiles her jumps are totally dif and her game style is entirely another world... the only real similarity is gender.
And that they could be called the 'best of the rest.' Not good enough to be top, but ahead of everyone else.

TRA

Smash Journeyman
Marth is extremely broken in Melee, and not because of the Ken combo, LOL
I actually didn't play too much melee. I went straight from playing Smash 64 to Brawl..... Do you think that hinders or helps my Marth/Brawl game, overall? Or is that a highly circumstancial question?

Time
Runs
Away

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Jab, being faster than dtilt, a little longer ranged than Dancing Blade, and less punishable on block than Dolphin Slash, makes a decent pressure string link, I guess.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The main problem is that Brawl's system is not conducive to pressure strings in the first place, making the jab, at best, a situational way to cover yourself if you happen to hit a shield with an aerial but spaced it well enough to avoid the more obvious retaliations.

Spade1

Smash Apprentice
hmmm...

I'm surprised fsmash isn't in mid tier with the other smashes.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
it has so much lag and if you miss then you're pretty much screwed... ds 0os or usmash or even uair/fair are generally the smarter kill moves

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
how do I best use critical hit?
Since it's a Marth q I'll answer it. It's all about reading and predicting youropponent, if they jump and land, use it then in their landing lag. If they double jump, jump after them and use it. The options are endless.

TRA

Smash Journeyman
regarding jab [...] is awesome for anti-air

With regards to defending against SH attacks and some ariels, which do you think is best:

• Jab
  • Ftilt
  • Utilt
  • Other?

I personally prefer Ftilt because of the range, but I switch to Utilt if their damage is high enough that I think it might kill. I usually only jab when I want to poke their recovery or want a move to clash.

Time
Runs
Away

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
With regards to defending against SH attacks and some ariels, which do you think is best:

• Jab
  • Ftilt
  • Utilt
  • Other?

I personally prefer Ftilt because of the range, but I switch to Utilt if their damage is high enough that I think it might kill. I usually only jab when I want to poke their recovery or want a move to clash.

Time
Runs
Away
Jab def. Utilt has very short range in front of Marth and ftilt is just too laggy.

Jab has a nice hitbox for AA and is really fast.

SOLID: You know how hard Marth has to work for his kills, he doesn't have any safe kill moves. You have to create a situation where Usmash is safe to use via juggle trap, platform abuse, forced roll, attack cool down, etc.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!

• Jab
  • Ftilt
  • Utilt
  • Other?

Time
Runs
Away
Jab, FTilt someimes but it is slower.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Hey guys whats up

Recently, i've been playing with Marth and all. Eventually, i was training alot and 2 days ago a good friend came by (IStudying). He must be 1 of the best Smashers in my country. Anyway, we brawled some time and i noticed he was punishing my Rolls and when i was shielding, i got grabbed alot aswell! He told me my marth is to defensive. I think i play Marth like i'm playing DDD, which isn't good. Now i need some advice.

I want to stop Roll Dodging so much, i'm practicing to not roll dodge, but when i'm in a tough spot, where i think that my best option is rolling, i don't do it. However, i can't find an alternative for rolling. It's hard for me to use something else than Rolling. Also, i use my shield TOOO MUCH. Is there any way you guys can give me some advice and/or tips? I really need it.

Thnx in advance :D

TRA

Smash Journeyman
He told me my marth is to defensive. [...] Now i need some advice.
Try some offense, or try playing defensively whilst attacking, maybe retreating fairs?

i got grabbed alot aswell!
That's actually what I have the most trouble with, is getting grabbed, which is definitely NOT good because one of the guys in my crew mains IC and is fully able of doing a 0 --> Death Chaingrab. My response to this is highly annoying: spam Fair. The usual response that I get when I ask for help with the same problem of getting grabbed, is 'learn to space better.' Marth has good range, try to use it.

Also, i use my shield TOOO MUCH.
Use your shield too much as in, sit there and hold it when you think he's going to attack? What you might want to do is just stop holding your shield. Tap it a few times and try to mindgame him when he's approaching, and then attack out of it, spot dodge, roll, grab out of it, or just finally start holding it. Just a few hours ago I was Brawling, and while I was hanging on the ledge my opponent would just stand on the stage near the ledge I was on, and keep shielding and dropping his shield instantly: When I tried attacking from the ledge, he held the shield a little longer, and then punished. When I tried just recovering past him, he'd roll with me and punish. Etc. etc.

I want to stop Roll Dodging so much
Rolling isn't necessarily bad at all, you just can't let them predict the roll. One of my favorite things to do when I want to get an Avenger Kill right after I die, is to just walk towards my opponent, and wait for them to roll behind me so I can smash them. It's practically irresistable, and even I pull that blonde roll a few times every once in a while.

Hope this helps? Ask again if you have anything more specific you want to improve on.

Time
Runs
Away

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
That helped alot!! But i use my shield to long when i'm standing. Because i think he's gonna hit me. I also have some trouble punishing air dodges when i'm juggling, or gimping, i need help aswell. And well i'm just looking for alternatives to use instead of rolling, because my rolls are so predictable lol :p

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
That helped alot!! But i use my shield to long when i'm standing. Because i think he's gonna hit me. I also have some trouble punishing air dodges when i'm juggling, or gimping, i need help aswell. And well i'm just looking for alternatives to use instead of rolling, because my rolls are so predictable lol :p
just do your best NOT to hold the shield, try powershielding or stepdodging.

shffnair or shfffair as a safe approach (as opposed to rolls) or step dodge/power shield and punish whatever you'd be rolling from as it misses.

Top Bottom