• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Alright, thnx alot. I have a smashfest tommorow at my home, so i'll definitely try everything out that you guys suggested. Thnx alot! Also, should i never never roll or should i roll on rare circumstances?

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Okay thnx man for all the help, i'm considering on maining Marth and secondaring DDD, not sure tho. We'll see tommorow :p For everyone who lives in Europe (like me) Good night!~!

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Okay thnx man for all the help, i'm considering on maining Marth and secondaring DDD, not sure tho. We'll see tommorow :p For everyone who lives in Europe (like me) Good night!~!
It's an excellent idea, I do it =] And it's advised that you DO NOT roll too much, as his roll is short and easily punishable.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
I donno. When it comes to rolling, I almost never do it at all. Once you do it a few times, your opponent can usually read you and understand when you do it and it gets pretty obvious. You'll get a grab in the face or something worse if you do it too much. It's not THAT bad if you're using Marth, though, because you don't want people to be behind you. Just don't do it too much. :3

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
what does that have to do with anything ?
because there's no rolling? -_-

various characters can side step but you can't use it nearly as much as in smash

it can teach you ways to keep yourself safe/apply pressure without having to rely on rolling behind your opponent.

TRA

Smash Journeyman
Because i think he's gonna hit me.
Hit him instead, or just move away. One thing that a lot of Marth players underestimate is how good just WALKING a tad bit out of range is. It can really add to your game. Maybe watch HRNUT play a few matches, he seems to manage that really well.

I also have some trouble punishing air dodges when i'm juggling
Even as Marth, juggling a good opponent is difficult. You basically have to know what they think you're going to do, and use that against them. Sometimes jumping at them will bait them into air dodge, at which point you can punish with anything you want. I'm a big fan of Short Hopping under them, for a bit, and then just waiting on the ground and Utilting or Usmashing while they try to air dodge above me, expecting me to come up and attack. Nair is your best bet for punishing air dodges, but even then they have to time it wrong, because most characters have air dodges that last longer than Marth's Nair.

The worst thing about Marth, imho, is that after a while he gets easy to predict, so that you have to go out of your way to not be easily read.

Time
Runs
Away

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
because there's no rolling? -_-

various characters can side step but you can't use it nearly as much as in smash

it can teach you ways to keep yourself safe/apply pressure without having to rely on rolling behind your opponent.
I main abel in SFIV though.

Player-3

Smash Hero
i have a question

why would anyone want to play marth dittos in barlw

vietg and his word mindgames

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
The worst thing about Marth, imho, is that after a while he gets easy to predict, so that you have to go out of your way to not be easily read.

Time
Runs
Away
Then your Marth is lacking. Marth has an amazing mixup game, his pressure and mixups should keep your opponent at bay. No ones perfect, but this is why Marth is a good character.

TRA

Smash Journeyman
why would anyone want to play marth dittos in barlw

I actually learned Brawl from a Marth main, which is mostly the reason why I main Marth as well. I would chill at his house after school and we would have Marth dittos until nearly midnight. It was good because it let me know what I could do with Marth, but at the same time let me know what I could do against him. I like to think it has helped me get into the mind of my opponents better, because I know how I would fight myself, and am thus usually ready to counter those approaches.

Then your Marth is lacking. Marth has an amazing mixup game, his pressure and mixups should keep your opponent at bay. No ones perfect, but this is why Marth is a good character.
True enough. I think my biggest problem is that I dont play enough people or go to enough tournaments. The people I play against (All 4 of them) are wicked good, but you can only play the same person so many times before you're getting into bad habits against them. I've been trying to change a lot of that recently, though: going to my second tournament next weekend, and I can't wait!

Time
Runs
Away

blukberry

Smash Cadet
Quick question,
Let's say i SHFF a F-air, (autocanceled of course) but i mess up the spacing and I F-air right into his shield.
What could I do to not to get shieldgrabbed besides Marth's dolphin slash? 'cause when I play my brother he predicts the DS and keeps his shield up and then I get seriously punished.

clowsui

Smash Legend
why would you ds after a fair anyways? you should only do that if you read the shield drop
if you really think he's going to keep his shield up for a shieldgrab and you fair into his shield inside the tip then just grab
if you don't think he's going to shield just dtilt
or you could simply walk away...lots of options, fair is so good b/c you can do a LOT of things afterwards

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Whenever I hit a shield, I'll poke them with Dtilt or possibly go for a grab if they keep it up. If he drops his shield just go for DB, but if he keeps it up try to get the grab in. In my opinion it all comes down to good spacing which improves over time.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Yeah, that brings up another good subject. If you're playing someone overly aggressive, try a retreating shieldbreaker or something. Expect a shield or a spot dodge and punish accordingly. And if you break their shield, remember to taunt first before you kill them. :3

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Unless they're at an extremely high %, since the time required to break out of shieldbreak stun decreases the higher your % is.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
After I break someone's shield I like to run around randomly and then hit them.

But anyway, I don't use SB that much unless my opponent shields A LOT. Breaking shields is kind of hard, normally I'll get it really small but it's hard to finish the job. What's best is to weaken it first and then go in with a shieldbreaker, like with a Dtilt or DB.

TreK

Is "that guy"
when their shield doesn't brake, people usually don't use it for a while and prefer to dodge. Use delayed fairs, nairs, and DB so thay still feel pressured. Momentum > people.

If it brakes, just taunt and fsmash tipper them, then laugh.

SNRLX

Smash Rookie
Quick question,
Let's say i SHFF a F-air, (autocanceled of course) but i mess up the spacing and I F-air right into his shield.
What could I do to not to get shieldgrabbed besides Marth's dolphin slash? 'cause when I play my brother he predicts the DS and keeps his shield up and then I get seriously punished.
Don't mess up the spacing.

Sprinkles

Smash Rookie
How do I best use Marth's dair as a meteor smash? In other words, I need help Meteor smashing with his dair.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
When CPing MK, should I ban Rainbow Cruise or Luigi's Mansion?

Also, I might be going to a tournament pretty soon, and I don't have anyone to train with, so I was wondering what would be the best way to practice. [I can't use Wi-fi at the moment either.]

blukberry

Smash Cadet
When CPing MK, should I ban Rainbow Cruise or Luigi's Mansion?

Also, I might be going to a tournament pretty soon, and I don't have anyone to train with, so I was wondering what would be the best way to practice. [I can't use Wi-fi at the moment either.]
Me, i would ban RC. MK has alot of options he can use on RC since you're in the air most of the match and marths recovery makes it hard to get back on the stage and not get punished from lag. And you loose a stock if the platform suddenly dissapears,
As for how you should practice, I would just perfect my ATs and practice spacing in training mode.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Me, i would ban RC. MK has alot of options he can use on RC since you're in the air most of the match and marths recovery makes it hard to get back on the stage and not get punished from lag. And you loose a stock if the platform suddenly dissapears,
Yeah, but I heard he could do a lot of ugly stuff on Luigi's, so I wasn't sure. Luckily, LM is banned in most tourneys. [Although, not the one I am entering.]

I guess I'll ban RC.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I'd personally ban Luigis.

At least on RC you can just run during the second phase and still have somewhat of a chance.

Luigis is like autolose.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I'd personally ban Luigis.

At least on RC you can just run during the second phase and still have somewhat of a chance.

Luigis is like autolose.
What makes MK so good in LM. I thought he was an aerial character and LM is good for characters with good ground games (Oli, Diddy Snake)

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
mk has good aerial and ground game. he's great up close and personal, as well. This stage practically forces you and your opponent to be locked with eachother in a battle of priority and spacing the whole time.

A~Kid/ToonethLinkage

Wants His Own Custom Title
Okay I have a question.

Should I have tap jump on, or off for using Marth in competitive play? It would be useful to have tamp jump on because I could Up B from a shield and that's very useful for all Marth players. But I don't know what to pick. What should I do? Leave it off or turn it on?

Top Bottom