• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Fair, Dancing, Blade and Dtilt should probably be you're most used by far, and then after that depending on the match-up Nair, Grab, Dolphin Slash.

TBQH, I don't entirely agree with Ragnarok's list.

DarkAura

Smash Lord
ok quick question here.... im a fox main but i second marth

and i was just curious as to why marth mains always use neutral dancing blade?

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
ok quick question here.... im a fox main but i second marth

and i was just curious as to why marth mains always use neutral dancing blade?
DB down is punishable
DB up, while it can set up for juggling, is often not as good a choice as neutral because it doesn't put your opponent in as good a position as neutral
DB neutral has a good forward trajectory that can set up for fair/nair followup gimps/KOs

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
db down can be di'd out of

db up can be di'd out of

db forward can be di'd out of, but only if you hit them with your wrist or the very tip of the sword. its just the most reliable

Asimio

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone tried Grab release > Footstool Spike on MK?

Is it possible/more practical than direct dair since your finger's already on the jump button?

lolgrec

Smash Cadet
ok question (considering this is the place for them), what makes the D3 match up against marth so difficult? i've never had a problem, then again, i don't believe i've played a really good D3 that doesn't base his/her skill around the annoying chain grab

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
His shields and grabs kill Marth :(. That, and his ftilt and bair make it hard to approach. His grab range is simple too large. And, even if you fair or space an attack very well, he can easily just do a pivot grab to move out of the way and reach you.

These are the main ones. His Waddle Dees can be annoying too, of course. And DDD can easily edgeguard a Marth... Bair is good once you can time it against Dolphin Slash right, but Short Hopping a Dair through the edge of the stage is also very very good, and can stage spike the opponent.

"then again, i don't believe i've played a really good D3 that doesn't base his/her skill around the annoying chain grab"

Chain grabbing is a legitimate combo, it's no different from other attack combos.

TP

Smash Master
Thanks for the help, guys. Pretty nice place you got here. Once I've established myself with Marth, I might stick around.

EDIT: I have another question. What stage should I CP against Jigglypuff? Remember that a good stage for juggling is actually detrimental in this matchup, so BF won't be nearly as useful as usual.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Thanks for the help, guys. Pretty nice place you got here. Once I've established myself with Marth, I might stick around.

EDIT: I have another question. What stage should I CP against Jigglypuff? Remember that a good stage for juggling is actually detrimental in this matchup, so BF won't be nearly as useful as usual.
personally, I would still pick BF.

The DZs are pretty close and jiggz is light and marth has excellent platform games. Also, jiggz is mad easy to stage bounce, which can be done with great angles on bf.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Oh come now Azu-nyan, please do tell.

Hmm...

could one replicate the lightshield edgehog from Melee by shield DI-ing into the ledge from a powershield?

Because if I recall...the last hitbox of DS is a swipe off the stage, PS-ing this could in turn allow for a pseudo-lightshield edgehog.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439

Hmm...

could one replicate the lightshield edgehog from Melee by shield DI-ing into the ledge from a powershield?

Because if I recall...the last hitbox of DS is a swipe off the stage, PS-ing this could in turn allow for a pseudo-lightshield edgehog.
Clever, but no. Auto-sweetspotting ***** you, and Marth will likely reach the edge first. However I heard rumor that such a tactic was fairly successful vs. MK's SL.

Also, you should use the moves most frequently to least frequently as follows.

Fair
Dtilt
Nair
Dancing Blade
Uair
Jab
Bair
Dolphin Slash for non-recovery purposes
Shield Breaker

Everything else after that should be used sparingly in it's own situation. I personally almost never grab, unless it's at really high percent, and I can get a reward off the pummeling, or at 0, to get a good opening combo. Neo and Haze are successful with grab traps, but I prefer more reliable follow ups, and more reliable damage. I prefer damaging a shield over bypassing it, unless byoassing it is a safer option.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Clever, but no. Auto-sweetspotting ***** you, and Marth will likely reach the edge first. However I heard rumor that such a tactic was fairly successful vs. MK's SL.

Fair
Dtilt
Nair
Dancing Blade
Uair
Jab
Bair
Shield Breaker

Everything else after that should be used sparingly in it's own situation. I personally almost never grab, unless it's at really high percent, and I can get a reward off the pummeling, or at 0, to get a good opening combo. Neo and Haze are successful with grab traps, but I prefer more reliable follow ups, and more reliable damage. I prefer damaging a shield over bypassing it, unless byoassing it is a safer option.
I would switch Dancing Blade with Nair and throw Utilt in there over Shieldbreaker. Utilt is like...so good lol

clowsui

Smash Legend
i've been shield push guarded in friendlies before, so annoying...it was by luck lol

i've done it a bit too

it's very specific in terms of the spacing + shield decay, you have to have it just right so that you flip back and grab the edge from the stun

it can't be done w/ a sweetspotted ds though

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace

Fair
Dtilt
Nair
Dancing Blade
Uair
Jab
Bair
Shield Breaker
Other than Nair>Dancing Blade, and the absence of grab and utilt. I more or less agree with this list. Though, I use DS more than bair.

I know my opinion holds no weight, but whatever.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend

Hmm...

actually yes, if it's not a sweetspot. tyrant does this to me sometimes.

though he always faces towards the stage for some reason.

His shields and grabs kill Marth :(. That, and his ftilt and bair make it hard to approach. His grab range is simple too large. And, even if you fair or space an attack very well, he can easily just do a pivot grab to move out of the way and reach you.

These are the main ones. His Waddle Dees can be annoying too, of course. And DDD can easily edgeguard a Marth... Bair is good once you can time it against Dolphin Slash right, but Short Hopping a Dair through the edge of the stage is also very very good, and can stage spike the opponent.

"then again, i don't believe i've played a really good D3 that doesn't base his/her skill around the annoying chain grab"

Chain grabbing is a legitimate combo, it's no different from other attack combos.

Just space and grab them first. waddledees aren't even that annoying, just powershield. when they're bair camping you just bait them lol.

i need to start posting more so people stop giving wrong or bad information.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Just space and grab them first. waddledees aren't even that annoying, just powershield. when they're bair camping you just bait them lol.

i need to start posting more so people stop giving wrong or bad information.
Yeah you should come here more :) You have a lot more experience than me and a few others here... it would help a lot.

Sorry but I think I exagerated the Waddle Dee part. I was simply trying to list the things that DDD has that Marth doesn't. Well if we're comparing the characters, we can't consider things like baiting can we? (or can we? o.0) Lol.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Nair is AMAZING! But I've conceded for the moment, fair is still a more reliable move (plus destroys low/mid tiers). I choose to nair over fair in any situation which I feel I can (i.e. aerial confrontation/juggle/air dodge punisheretc); but it's a slow transition. Nair's potential is too great for me to fathom, that I can't get away with just outright spamming it... yet ;).
I have lost a lot of faith in down tilt over time though, I'm becoming more accustomed to Jab, especially after 50%ish where the hit stun makes it 'safe' to hit someone with, and the time between one jab and the next will always be faster than two dtilts. As Marth doesn't 'move forward', many characters are forced to roll to get past Jab.
Dancing Blade is still awesome, but I choose to use it as sparingly as possible (keep the damage up for when it's best to use as a punisher). I probably tend to spam it more on smaller characters, or those [players] who tend to rely on grabs a lot.
Shield breaker really is a great move... It's humongous range and ability to start it in the air gives Marth an awesome tech ANYTHING follow up. For a move that you can CHARGE, and still be moving (in the air) and once released only has 8 frame start up is just... too good. If it had a shred of kill power at it's initial blow (even though holding it for 40 frames brings out the second tier of damage, which is quite viable for killing) like other 20 frame 'smashes' have, then Oh dear god the ownage.
Uair I find is really stage dependant, it makes zoning platform stages (lylat, battlefield, yoshis and smashville to a small extent) extremely efficient. And of course it's great for comboing/juggling.
Dolphin Slash is seldom used; players tend to bait it, and it's also rare for players to not be aware of it and fall for it. I can go entire matches sets without using this for anything other than recovering.
Bair, yet again is a very zoning-esque aerial, great for killing at higher percents, I tend to find it's properties are eclipsed by nair in everything bar start up. Yet it's still better in 'head to head' aerial confrontations, due to how well it covers Marth's body safely.

Up Tilt is good, but not to be spammed. It has fantastic properties for a move except for it's cool down on shield. I tend to only 'aim' to have the backwards (last few frames) hitbox hit, as this is the least dangerous on shields, and if it does hit, it's too easy for aerial strings, and eventually killing. I also find it great out of a shield drop as punishment (mostly on crossovers).

Snype

Smash Cadet
I have a question.

where I live there is a good group of people who smash we are friends and hang out alot. but sometimes we do teams matches and only a few are good at them I have two good ideas for them but I need some help analyzing this a bit more. One is a Link player and a first I was like no way but he has gotten better with Link and I think his tools would be useful in some cases, then another is a Kirby player we have done so many doubles together and win so I think this is a good match up, I have yet to go to any tournies that are really competitive like Gigabits, so just give me a little advice on some characters it is good for a Marth to team with thank you.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I want to pick up Marth, but I play with tap jump off. Can I go without Dolphin Slash OOS? >< Or should I just l2tapjump?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I want to pick up Marth, but I play with tap jump off. Can I go without Dolphin Slash OOS? >< Or should I just l2tapjump?
Learn to tap jump or assign jump to a trigger button you don't use and then buffer jump > UpB from that.

The alternatives for this aren't exactly better though. More or less they're considered worse.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Learn to tap jump or assign jump to a trigger button you don't use and then buffer jump > UpB from that.

The alternatives for this aren't exactly better though. More or less they're considered worse.
Ah, the second method is what I've been doing since I already have L for jump. I guess I'll just keep practicing this way and see how it turns out.

Thanks.

l2tapjumpnoob
Don't make me pimp slap you up in your own thread. :mad:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Lol. Wait so just to clarify... in order to do the buffer Up B OOS thing, do you absolutely NEED Tap Jump, or is it simply easier that way? I play with Tap Jump Off.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
tap jump on = much happier.
It works on your fingers so that they don't have to be lazy on taps, tilts, and smashes (so they start becoming buff and flexible)
otherwise, this'll happen:

Wizard Of Seraphym

Smash Cadet
I was at mid percentages and somehow got chain grabbed.

how is this possible?!

but more seriously...

about to what % range does d-tilt to wall work? ive been playing on SMS stage lately so

C.J.

Smash Master
Assuming you're talking about D3's CG... if the D3 is half decent it's inescapable... And it works at any percent because it has set knock back.

Top Bottom