• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Tophes

Smash Cadet
You're gonna have to SDI like mad towards the IC's though.

As for the buffered throws, to tell if you buffered the throw correctly, the sound of the grab would not come in effect and instead would just lead to a throw. If one were to grab someone but not try to buffer, the grab sound would come into play.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
You're gonna have to SDI like mad towards the IC's though.

As for the buffered throws, to tell if you buffered the throw correctly, the sound of the grab would not come in effect and instead would just lead to a throw. If one were to grab someone but not try to buffer, the grab sound would come into play.
ooo, thanks =D

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
So... Marth's pivot walk. I've tried it, and I've come to the conclusion that if you need to hold a + the c-stick, and you only have one thumb, it's difficult to do. Any tips?

MDJA109

Smash Cadet
you assume a "claw" position with your fingers as you were to with a DAC sheik upsmash (i do at least), you put your index finger on the A button and move your thumb down to the c-stick. i don't really incorporate that in my gameplay, might be good for mind games though idk

I'm sure that this question has been asked before, but I really am having difficulty understanding how this works. What causes Marth to fall down again after using his upB towards a ledge while looking like you sweetspotted it? I'm thinking that it's because you just slide off the edge somehow, but I'm not confident in that method. I'm sorry for asking this again probably, but I simply just don't understand.

ello Marth mains, I just wanted some general advice. Like some OoS options and how to establish control in a match?

also I wanted to know how do you guys keep from getting frustrated during a match?
I like to retreat whenever an opponent is destroying me. It gives me a chance to think what to do + if the person charges after you, you have more options.

For the OoS options, DB and Grab seem to be the most popular. I'd stick with DB though since it's much better as a damage racker.

Establishing control is fairly easy when you have your opponent above you. Marth has a great juggling game.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
After Marth's grab release hoe muvh of an advantage is their frame wise? IS there one? Or is it character specific? What are some possible follow ups after a grab releasE? On the ground.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
After Marth's grab release hoe muvh of an advantage is their frame wise? IS there one? Or is it character specific? What are some possible follow ups after a grab releasE? On the ground.
It depends on the character, but against most there is no frame advantage or consistent options. You could try anything after a grab release, just read your opponent

C.J.

Smash Master
OoS options:
DB, usmash, DS, grab, full hop retreating dair

to get in/stay in control:
pressure, pressure, pressure

every character in the game has 30 frames of lag after a ground release. Doesn't matter if you're the one being grabbed or grabbing. Exceptions are Bowser who is 20 frames of lag when grabbing, DK 20 when grabbed, 40 for the mother boys when being grabbed

MDJA109

Smash Cadet
there isn't any true ground grab release combos other than on ness and lucas that i know of, but if you do release on ground you can usually go for a regrab or any quick follow up cause they usually aren't expecting it. i wouldn't use it more than once or twice a match though cause they can catch on to it really fast if they're not dumb

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I'm sure that this question has been asked before, but I really am having difficulty understanding how this works. What causes Marth to fall down again after using his upB towards a ledge while looking like you sweetspotted it? I'm thinking that it's because you just slide off the edge somehow, but I'm not confident in that method. I'm sorry for asking this again probably, but I simply just don't understand.
It is simply a glitch with how the stage handles the UpB on the ledge. It's ok, you asked it in the right place :)

MDJA109

Smash Cadet
can you really SDI an air or ground grab release? i was reading the posts on the true combo thread and someone said you could

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
Not possible, the only time you can SDI something is when you are actually being hit. Grab Releasing(To my knowledge) does not do any damage. So there is nothing to support that theory, if it were possible it would be quite the phenomenon.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Not possible, the only time you can SDI something is when you are actually being hit. Grab Releasing(To my knowledge) does not do any damage. So there is nothing to support that theory, if it were possible it would be quite the phenomenon.
Not true, EIDI (how Ness gets out of what used to be our infinite) uses both sticks to get further away from our release, and out of our regrab range.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Not true, EIDI (how Ness gets out of what used to be our infinite) uses both sticks to get further away from our release, and out of our regrab range.

Except many people (SCOTU used to, he probably still does) and myself don't believe EIDI actually exists.

Lucas simply holds back, if you do the same with Ness you MIGHT get released.

I feel like testing it more, but I've been able to deathgrab Ness's who say they were trying to EIDI.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
It remains untested xP

I should test that later, i'll get a buddy over to try it with me.
Ok, I'm really interested, I would test it myself but I don't have debugging and me and my bro are probably not the best choices to play the chars.

yeah what is EIDI? and what's the 0 death combo on pokemon trainer?
Basically regular DI plus smash DI diagonally away, it allows you to move a bit farther (which allows you to escape Marth's ground release infinite), that's Extra Inch DI.

Not PT, just squirtle, basically keep air releasing until you get over the edge, then sweetspotted dair, it's a true combo.

gallax

Smash Hero
hey guys. what is the best way to momentum cancel with marth? for me, i use fair when hit horizontally and uair when hit vertically.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
hey guys. what is the best way to momentum cancel with marth? for me, i use fair when hit horizontally and uair when hit vertically.
Where do people get the idea that they should be using different aerials depending on the direction that they are sent? Always fair, always.

MDJA109

Smash Cadet
well, marth's recovery is very gimpable, so you have to be unpredictable with your recoveries. i think it's best to recovery low, but leave enough room that if they ledgehog you can still make it up on the stage. just read your opponent and do whatever is appropriate to their movement. and don't forget to throw in some side B stalls if you need to but dont' be predictable with it

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
"Does Falco's Dthrow > Jab > Shield avoid the UpB 100% of the time? Might be a more effective method at CGing Marth past 18%. If that did work of course."

__crystal____'s question. Just CPed.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
"Does Falco's Dthrow > Jab > Shield avoid the UpB 100% of the time? Might be a more effective method at CGing Marth past 18%. If that did work of course."

I would assume that you would have to have perfect or near perfect timing, and even then I'm not sure if it would work.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
@ Bengalz : You sure you have to Dash Grab? When a Ness tries to SDI away from me I just walk forward slightly and regrab.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439

No, because good Marth's will not Up B 100% of the time. Shield is a safe option, but I would suggest just using options that you have as surefire follow-ups. Dthrow -> Dthrow -> Dash Attack -> Gatling Usmash is probably a way to go.

@ Bengalz : You sure you have to Dash Grab? When a Ness tries to SDI away from me I just walk forward slightly and regrab.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Hi Marths. I'm hippie I play Marth in a scrub level, ask PD or Minty I lurk alot here.

I was wondering if any of you guys true pivot or fox trot (I get these terms mixed up heavily alot so excuse my nubiness) like you run pivot and do the fsmash. I read Junk's thread on it but I can't seem to do it mostly cause I end up doing a dash attack >_>. So any inputs Marths?

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Hi Marths. I'm hippie I play Marth in a scrub level, ask PD or Minty I lurk alot here.

I was wondering if any of you guys true pivot or fox trot (I get these terms mixed up heavily alot so excuse my nubiness) like you run pivot and do the fsmash. I read Junk's thread on it but I can't seem to do it mostly cause I end up doing a dash attack >_>. So any inputs Marths?
Using a true pivot to approach with fsmash is like the most unsafe thing you can do xD

I'd highly recommend against it.

Fox trotting is also pretty useless, but some people do use it occasionally.

True pivots are good for other things, though.

Top Bottom