• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Huh? what's meatriding o.0

Anyway...

also, against Falco's Phantasm, if it's too hard for you to fair or nair him out of it, then try jab. Jab will cancel his phantasm, BUT it will NOT hit him, so therefore if he did it in the air, he'd fall and have landing lag, allowing you to punish him (there's enough time for a fsmash :D). The timing is that you should press jab when you see him do the pause at the beginning of his phantasm.

And btw Xisin, thanks for correcting me :).

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Watch pros
Face people better than you
Read guides
Learn the spacing
Find what works
Learn the matchups
Don't sleep before tournaments
Be well liked around the Marth boards
Learn the spacing
Don't be afraid to ask stupid questions
Eat KFC for tournament meal breaks
Learn the spacing
Thanks for the advice

gopobox

Smash Journeyman
How to land tippers?
I have real trouble with landing tippers.
I usually only get tippers by fluke.
Any tips on getting tippers on KO'ing moves?

blukberry

Smash Cadet
How to land tippers?
I have real trouble with landing tippers.
I usually only get tippers by fluke.
Any tips on getting tippers on KO'ing moves?
The best way is just to keep playing macthes as Marth. And slowly and slowly youll notice that your spacing is improving.

As for making them hit, learn the code green zones for each of his attacks and pratice watching your opponent.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Hey I think that diagram has an error.

To the right of the green zone, it should not be Yellow then Red, it should simple be Red because Marth's tipper is at the end of his sword, not the middle...

Anything past Shiek would be a miss, so that should be red o.0

Also gopobox, like blukberry said, just keep playing Marth, and tippering most of your attacks will come naturally.

Tennet

Smash Champion
Its probably yellow there because you can still easily move into the range and so they are threatened...

blukberry

Smash Cadet
Yeah, from what I can see, stutter-stepping an Fsmash would hit into the yellow zone.

But I could be wrong since I can only saying this from looking at the pic.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Its probably yellow there because you can still easily move into the range and so they are threatened...
Yeah, from what I can see, stutter-stepping an Fsmash would hit into the yellow zone.

But I could be wrong since I can only saying this from looking at the pic.
*Ding*Ding*Ding*

It is yellow behind Sheik, because your opponent cannot effectively camp there, you can easily reach them with almost any approach and they can't hit you with anything you can't see coming.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I was playing a friend in yoshis island and I did a DS to recover, but instead of grabing the ledge I did a second DS.

What happened O_o lol

EDIT: This is Blukberry

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Oh I see ToZ.

Lol this has been asked many times Bellios.

It's simply a glitch with the way the physics are in Brawl related to how a character sweetspots the ledge of the stage.

What happens is that sometimes when you Up B and grab onto the stage, you will all of a sudden fall off immediately after grabbing on. During this time, you must have input another Up B, causing 2 DS's to occur.

gopobox

Smash Journeyman
The best way is just to keep playing macthes as Marth. And slowly and slowly youll notice that your spacing is improving.

As for making them hit, learn the code green zones for each of his attacks and pratice watching your opponent.
Well marth is my most played character and ive played him for quite a while now and i have seen that image with the 'zones' but moves like foward smash are just hard for me to tipper with.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Hey guys, sorry I didn't reply earlier. Thanks for the help with Falco. I've been practicing the matchup more and it's easier for me now, though far from perfect. My main problem right now is not punishing Phantasm, so I'll try jabbing. I've heard you can also punish it with Dolphin Slash? What's the timing on this? I haven't got it down.

Also, what's the best thing to do if I grab someone and they're above fthrow cg percent or dthrow -> fsmash/dair percent? Right now I've still been using fthrow and following up with random stuff like dash attack, dancing blade, etc. but I'm sure there's better options. Maybe grab release -> something?
Marth's throws are so terrible omg

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Hey guys, sorry I didn't reply earlier. Thanks for the help with Falco. I've been practicing the matchup more and it's easier for me now, though far from perfect. My main problem right now is not punishing Phantasm, so I'll try jabbing. I've heard you can also punish it with Dolphin Slash? What's the timing on this? I haven't got it down.

Also, what's the best thing to do if I grab someone and they're above fthrow cg percent or dthrow -> fsmash/dair percent? Right now I've still been using fthrow and following up with random stuff like dash attack, dancing blade, etc. but I'm sure there's better options. Maybe grab release -> something?
Marth's throws are so terrible omg
Don't bother with DS punish.

Did you seriously just say Dash Attack? No. Don't.
Did you seriously just say Marth's throws are terrible? No. They're not.
Grab Release with a buffered run can work wonders. These are combos/follow-ups that ALWAYS work.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=234060
These are combos/follow-ups that ALWAYS work.
Marth's grab game is terrible, he says! Up the butt!

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Don't bother with DS punish.

Did you seriously just say Dash Attack? No. Don't.
Did you seriously just say Marth's throws are terrible? No. They're not.
Grab Release with a buffered run can work wonders. These are combos/follow-ups that ALWAYS work.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=234060
These are combos/follow-ups that ALWAYS work.
Marth's grab game is terrible, he says! Up the butt!
I just started playing him yesterday, give me some slack. But yeah, I learned how bad dash attack was really fast.

As far as throws go, aside from Ness, Lucas, and Wario which I already knew about (and MK which I didn't know about but I'm not going to use Marth against him anyway), all those combos are from 0, which is not what I was asking. I guess I should've been more clear on that. What I wanted to know is what to do if I grab my opponent at mid to high %s. I know uthrow kills at like 170% but other than that I have no idea what to do. Again, grab releases?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I just started playing him yesterday, give me some slack. But yeah, I learned how bad dash attack was really fast.

As far as throws go, aside from Ness, Lucas, and Wario which I already knew about (and MK which I didn't know about but I'm not going to use Marth against him anyway), all those combos are from 0, which is not what I was asking. I guess I should've been more clear on that. What I wanted to know is what to do if I grab my opponent at mid to high %s. I know uthrow kills at like 170% but other than that I have no idea what to do. Again, grab releases?
Ness and Lucas = kill after a grab with a fresh Dsmash around 120% or so
Wario = Practice landing a tipper Fsmash after the grab release, it should kill fairly early.

Lawkk

Smash Rookie
Is the range on marths Dair different depending on the side or are boths sides pretty much exactly the same range?

Also I felt to lazy to look this up so you dont have to answer it but.

When performing a jump canceled upsmash how many frames do you have to cancel the jump?

blukberry

Smash Cadet
Well marth is my most played character and ive played him for quite a while now and i have seen that image with the 'zones' but moves like foward smash are just hard for me to tipper with.
Again, just play matches with him over and over.
Its that simple :)

After a while you will see yourself making more tippers.

Also just a little tip to improve your game, record your matches and when you watch them over anylse the whole match. For exemple in the replay you see yourself rolling too much and getting punished for it. In the next match you play, try to use other options instead of rolling.
Thats a good way to improve :D

C.J.

Smash Master
lol @ everyone not getting Gates' question.

Gates, at mid %s fthrow and uthrow are the best options. uthrow sets up juggle traps and fthrow has all kinds of tricks with it. Just watch your opponent and you can easily get tipper nairs, fairs, uairs, regrabs, etc out of it. Ground release->regrab/dtilt/jab/whatever isn't guaranteed and risky, but they're fun and not terrible mix-ups.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Is the range on marths Dair different depending on the side or are boths sides pretty much exactly the same range?
Nope, they're equal.

When performing a jump canceled upsmash how many frames do you have to cancel the jump?
Umm with JC Usmash aka Usmash OoS you don't cancel your jump, your canceling your shield so you can attack directly out of it. So there aren't any frames.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Maybe I misunderstood the question, but dair reaches further from behind.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
lol @ everyone not getting Gates' question.

Gates, at mid %s fthrow and uthrow are the best options. uthrow sets up juggle traps and fthrow has all kinds of tricks with it. Just watch your opponent and you can easily get tipper nairs, fairs, uairs, regrabs, etc out of it. Ground release->regrab/dtilt/jab/whatever isn't guaranteed and risky, but they're fun and not terrible mix-ups.
THANK YOU. lol

Yeah, I've usually been doing uthrow->uair (utilt if they hit a platform) or fthrow -> stuff that probably won't hit. Thanks for your advice.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*

Also I felt to lazy to look this up so you dont have to answer it but.

Something to note:

The tipper range of dair is WAY bigger on the backswing. If you're going to spike, do it backwards.

blukberry

Smash Cadet
Umm with JC Usmash aka Usmash OoS you don't cancel your jump, your canceling your shield so you can attack directly out of it. So there aren't any frames.
Im pretty sure you are canceling your jump. It goes like this; the Usmash/DS cancels the jump which cancels the shield.

Also, if I understood the question, he wanted to know how long he had between pressing Up to jump and pressing A/B to cancel the jump.

If thats what you were asking, it depends on how long it takes Marth to jump. Sorry I dont know it right off the top of my head but for example, if Marth takes 6 frames to jump, then you have to input the attack on frame 5 or less.

Hope you got the answer you were looking for ^_^

Kishin

Smash Ace
Isn't a new Marth guide at the works? I heard it a while back but not sure if its still in progress.

Also, can you infinite wario with pivot grabs?

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
If thats what you were asking, it depends on how long it takes Marth to jump. Sorry I dont know it right off the top of my head but for example, if Marth takes 6 frames to jump, then you have to input the attack on frame 5 or less.
Where's Shaya when you need him?

Isn't a new Marth guide at the works? I heard it a while back but not sure if its still in progress.

Also, can you infinite wario with pivot grabs?
Not that I know of. Sheik can =D

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Yes you can infinite pivot grab Wario.

My mistake, I forgot the tipper range on the back of Dair is larger. I rusty forgive me :embarassed:

I might be mistaken as I never dug into it, but I'll look into the JC, as if you jump out of shield and the full animation occurs, then there's a few frames to cancel that aswell.

Lawkk

Smash Rookie
Im pretty sure you are canceling your jump. It goes like this; the Usmash/DS cancels the jump which cancels the shield.

Also, if I understood the question, he wanted to know how long he had between pressing Up to jump and pressing A/B to cancel the jump.

Hope you got the answer you were looking for ^_^
Yea that was what I was looking for. The timing to do it felt weird so I was just looking for some precise info. Thanks

I don't think he (or she, I really don't even know) meant the tip; I was just throwin' that out there.
I wasn't concerned with the tip lol. I was just wondering so that when I perform dair oos I don't continue my misconception of the backside being like 50% longer and end up wiffing. xD

Thanks Rukiko telling me they are the same

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
I wasn't concerned with the tip lol. I was just wondering so that when I perform dair oos I don't continue my misconception of the backside being like 50% longer and end up wiffing. xD
I figured, since he'd already answered your question, I would supply additional information that was not, in any way, related to your question.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Okay, so marth has "deathgrabs" on Ness, Lucas, Squirtle, and Wario, right? How do I do those? Is it just PGing, or regrabbing or what?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I know for sure that the Ness one is a ground release chaingrab. I dont know about the rest though I was under the impression that you could just regrab Wario out of an air release. Does the PG get more verticle range or what?

-Blukberry

Top Bottom