• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

C.J.

Smash Master
You grab him. If you grab any character out of his ^B that doesn't put him into free fall (Snake, G&W, etc) they don't get their ^B back.

Almo

Smash Ace
it's not an infinite. up-smash does more damage and kill KO earlier, so if you're getting alot of grabs off you might want to up-tilt instead to save the up-smash. otherwise, up-smash is the better option.

i've also heard fsmash works out of a pivot or something, but i can't confirm that.

C.J.

Smash Master
You can tipper fsmash wario out of a release but the timing takes getting used to.

Rad

Smash Ace
When you do a Jab out of walk you slide along the ground a noticeable distance. Is there any application for this?

EDIT: Well it's just the normal distance you slide after you stop walking but still >_>

Kaffei

Smash Hero
You know how Marth can throw ~> Tipper Fsmash at 0% which does like 24%? Is it down throw or fthrow? Cus I always miss it.

C.J.

Smash Master
Character specific. For fthrow, you might have to stutter-step (like snake) or wait a moment (DK).

MarthWillOwnYou.Com

Smash Rookie
Marth:)))))

marth is my favourite character lol he owns when i use him i beat 3 guyz online and i absouloutley owned them up lol and i only got 103% done to me and didnt die 1 lol that was fun

Rad

Smash Ace
How should I be playing on Norfair? It feels like horizontal spacing goes out the window and I just end up using F-air a lot... well not quite... but I figure there must be some tips for playing there.

I don't think there's a stage discussion thread? :c

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Norfair is zoning the bottom platform
because Marth's uair, fair and nair **** people in those like
"above him" positions.

You'll be wanting to pressure characters from below a bit with ff nairs.
Fairs to catch predicted rolls/attacks, uairs as well.

Mostly you just want to force them into shielding by being below them, and that's when you destroy them.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
The guy is nothing. on AiB, check his blog sometimes, he has some incredible info on their. Nobody has yet to prove that CG correct though, I haven't seen any vids atleast, Marth barely has a boost grab, if any. And it was obv me
Heh was confused about the first sentence, til I read this...

The guy's name is Michael Hey, or "nothing" on his AiB profile. His Ganon's scary good.
Thanks.

But about the Boost Grab thing. With all these different names, I think it was possible for him to have used a term that means a different technique to him than us. I've been thinking it could possibly be (or another way to do it could be) to dash towards (after dthrow), and then true pivot into a Pivot Grab (AKA Retreating Pivot [Slide] Grab).

Dunno if this gives more range, or is faster, or does anything me or others are unaware of. Just throwing something out there for now XD.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yeah the whole dash towards true pivot into a pivot grab thing is like minimal 20 frames.

Down throw cg on Falco you only have 10-11 frames with a 9 frame dash grab to continue the cg.

i.e. **** you game.

LFL

Smash Journeyman
What are some options against g&w when he dthrow -> jab -> regrab

Shadowserpant

Smash Rookie
alot of guides recommend pivot grabs as a response to dashing. what exactly do this mean? dash back and pivot grab their attack? dash across them and pivot grab? won't their dash attacks be a problem?

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
probably dashing away, your pivot grab has a lot of range, which helps you grab from outside people's dash attacks. also, if you grab at the same time they dash attack you, you'd still grab them.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Yeah the whole dash towards true pivot into a pivot grab thing is like minimal 20 frames.

Down throw cg on Falco you only have 10-11 frames with a 9 frame dash grab to continue the cg.

i.e. **** you game.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Rad

Smash Ace
When should I be using F-tilt? It seems like jab, shield, retreating aerials, etc are all better for anti-approach. The increased range, damage, and knockback don't seem worth it because of the increased start-up and end-lag. It works for me as a mix-up, but it still feels like an inferior option.

tl;dr am I wrong? Is F-tilt more amazing than I think? When should I be using F-tilt?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Ftilt is a very advanced move. If you don't consider yourself an advanced player, avoid using it, as jab will mostly serve to do what you want ftilt to do.

Ftilt's purpose is for shutting down people from getting off platforms. It's vertical range is nearly as good as it's horizantal, so unless your opponent is readily able to airdodge at you, it's pretty safe. This makes it good platform pressure support, especially if you're not right underneath a platform. It can also earn late percent defensive K.O.s

For now, I suggest you stick to jab. It's not quite as reaching or powerful as ftilt, but it's a bit safer and faster, so it can subsitute for ftilt. Even at top level play, you don't NEED both.

pAce

Smash Cadet
How do you punish when they roll behind you? It's something I can't seem to beat. Is there a way to play to get around it?

Rad

Smash Ace
Ftilt is a very advanced move. If you don't consider yourself an advanced player, avoid using it, as jab will mostly serve to do what you want ftilt to do.

Ftilt's purpose is for shutting down people from getting off platforms. It's vertical range is nearly as good as it's horizantal, so unless your opponent is readily able to airdodge at you, it's pretty safe. This makes it good platform pressure support, especially if you're not right underneath a platform. It can also earn late percent defensive K.O.s

For now, I suggest you stick to jab. It's not quite as reaching or powerful as ftilt, but it's a bit safer and faster, so it can subsitute for ftilt. Even at top level play, you don't NEED both.
Thanks for the response. I tend to use Jab for platform pressure already, but maybe I'll try some F-tilt and see how it works for me. From your response it seems like Jab and F-tilt are just as good in their own way, so I won't focus on it too much.

How do you punish when they roll behind you? It's something I can't seem to beat. Is there a way to play to get around it?
Turn around Dancing Blade or pivoted attacks (pivot grab, pivot D-tilt, reverse dolphin slash, etc) are the best way to punish rolls behind you. Plain old U-tilt is good for short rolls, and rolls from far away - hitting the sweetspot and all.

Make sure you watch your opponent, rolls are not that hard to punish on reaction.

pAce

Smash Cadet
It's just that they always do it at times when I'm vulnerable to it. I need to approach so I space f-airs, which is when they are most likely to roll behind me. If I didn't attack and waited for them to roll, I'd be vulnerable still.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Play safe.

Learn the opposing character's roll distances.
That is TRULY the important thing.

Take this into consideration:
You have some moves that are pretty "SAFE", these are ff fairs, nairs, uairs, dtilts, jabs, db1.
They happen to be pretty good in terms of range (coincidence? I THINK NOT)
If you're close enough to the opponent that their roll would have them too far away behind you to hit you instantly, AIM fOR THAT ZONING/SPACING.
If you vary your ground spacing around the distance that their roll reaches (fox trot dancing, walking) you're ready to punish.

Remember that moves such as dtilt and the aerials are great shield pressure, once you're -that- close, Marth's sheer presence forces action that creates punishment opportunities.

The rollers that actually give Marth issues are Wolf, Lucario, Diddy, Kirby and MK (Forward roll only), in my experiences.

Remember that things such as dtilt you can dash out of to completely change your current horizontal placement. If a dtilt whiffs and you see the roll, things such as this are great. Fox trotting behind where they will be (lol reverse the situation) or just away (safer) is the whole zoning game you need to work on.

pAce

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the help. I really need this kind of advice because this is the area where I struggle the most with Marth. I never see any discussion on rolling at all so I feel like it's supposed to be easy to beat.

One thing that does work for me sometimes is running away then pivot grab, but I'm usually approaching so I don't have the time to do that.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
It can be easy to beat, but it also can be hard to beat.

Because for Marth to beat it he has to do 3+ inputs compared to some characters ONE or TWO.
These combined are inherently slower than some characters options but are still faster than your opponent's rolls.

ChibixD

Smash Apprentice
Ftilt is too good against peach
I have problems with rolls sometimes too
Specially when I am at high %, I am scary to punish, because I think they will shield my DB and punish

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the response. I tend to use Jab for platform pressure already, but maybe I'll try some F-tilt and see how it works for me. From your response it seems like Jab and F-tilt are just as good in their own way, so I won't focus on it too much. .
What's this idea of platform pressure? I don't understand it and context clues aren't helping me.

Oh and a quick question, is it possible to dash to DB?

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
In my opinion, platform pressure is the idea of using moves while your opponent is on a platform or trying to move of a platform in order to pressure your opponent into making a bad the wrong choice and ultimately getting punished for it.

Moves that Marth can use for this are U-Tilt, F-Tilt, Jab, and U-Smash.

Top Bottom