• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Boost pivot grab is easy, I mean you can do SL -> BPG.

It's just..
Dash -> C-Stick Down(Dash attack input) -> Back + Grab.

You just need to practice it.

Kite0692

Smash Journeyman
I know how to do it, I just do not know If its guaranteed. I mean, I though Kakera wouldnt fall to it, plus, Masha did it sooo damn fast.

EDIT: I posted a video at the Falco video critique thread. If you just could check it out plz :p

D

Deleted member 189823

Apparently Marth has a 0-Death on Falco.
Is it possible to escape it? If so, how?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
It's not guaranteed on all characters, I'll put a list up in a bit, after school. (Boost Pivot Grab during CG)

As for the 0-Death it's just F-Throw x -> Dair, Falco can only survive if Marth makes a mistake during it, or the spacing is off, allowing you to SDi on stage, just make Marth hit you once, all you need is 4% to be safe from it, it really isn't scary at all.

The BPG only works on GaW/Luigi from 0-17% (3 D-throws) maybe 2-3% higher, but another D-Throw and it will no longer work.
The BPG only works on Lucario for 2 throws, he can jump away after another attempt.
The BPG only works on Peach/ Olimar/ ROB/ Marth for 1 throw at 0-3%, after that one throw, it doesn't work.
It doesn't work on Zelda/ Jiggs or Samus.

It works on everyone else, but be sure to slighty dash a tiny bit before you you do the BPG or else some characters can get out. Like Mario, Yoshi, Dk for example.

Fox/ Falco/ Wolf/ Sheik won't work unless you use the dash delay.

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
I often see pro players short hopping and airdodging. Sometimes they aren't near their opponents and sometimes they actually dodge an attack.

How do I use the airdodge properly?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
By pressing R when in the air.

JK, it's actually a good way to buffer a groundd action when you're stillm in the air.

Darktega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktega13
By pressing R when in the air.

JK, it's actually a good way to buffer a groundd action when you're stillm in the air.
You can buffer out any attack? (As Falco, maybe?) Beacuse the only thing I know how to do is air dodge -> roll away for approaching purposes.

Aaaaand question 2: How does Falco generally performs on Halberd?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Saw the thread title on the homepage and I smiled.

kismet2

Smash Ace
You can buffer out any attack? (As Falco, maybe?) Beacuse the only thing I know how to do is air dodge -> roll away for approaching purposes.

Aaaaand question 2: How does Falco generally performs on Halberd?
From personal experience Halberd was something I could always lean on. The first transformation is decent enough with the large platform and the slopes on the side. You can apply some really good platform pressure with about any aerial except Fair. It's also good for keeping your opponent out by staying under the platform and between the slopes. The slopes helps so much if your opponent is the one approaching since it'll mess up their spacing. The second transformation is FD with a platform in the center. Not only do you get amazing stage control, you still get awesome platform pressure and you kill at lower percents.

Darktega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktega13
From personal experience Halberd was something I could always lean on. The first transformation is decent enough with the large platform and the slopes on the side. You can apply some really good platform pressure with about any aerial except Fair. It's also good for keeping your opponent out by staying under the platform and between the slopes. The slopes helps so much if your opponent is the one approaching since it'll mess up their spacing. The second transformation is FD with a platform in the center. Not only do you get amazing stage control, you still get awesome platform pressure and you kill at lower percents.
Yeah, I was interested in the low ceiling in the second transformation overall but I didn't know if it would be a naive decision. Thanks. :3

L3G1T

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0861-7985
Is there a reason as to why I almost never see Falcos using the Phantasm Ledge Cancel? I've found it to be a good mix-up between using Ledge Drop Double Lasers and running off the ledge and quickly phantasming back, or even in the recovery game. For instance, the PLC -> Jump -> Phantasm (which can be cancelled if need be, of course) is a nice mix-up, as is PLC -> Jump -> (Aerial move) or PLC -> IAP (which again, can be cancelled). It seems like it just adds to the options Falco has on the ledge, which is important, unless there's something I'm missing? The only downside that I'm aware of is that you maintain the lag from a non - IAP phantasm when doing this.

kismet2

Smash Ace
I'm not gonna lie, it's a very good mixup. It's more options which means useful if you can execute it. I want to practice this when I get my new controller.

L3G1T

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0861-7985
Yeah I thought it was pretty nice. It seems to me like it's a glitch; there's a very small area where Falco can't grab the ledge but also is too low to go on stage.

One thing I've been getting into the habit of doing is buffering a jump at the start of my phantasm, early enough to where it won't actually go out assuming I perform the full phantasm. My reasoning behind this is in case of an accidental PLC - which I've seen more often than not lead to a SD - I'm able to jump out. Either that or you could buffer another phantasm by spamming the input, but I find jumping more useful myself.

If it helps, I learned the timing by just running off the ledge and phantasming back. I used B instead of X (X is set to special for me when using IAP and SHTL for Fox) which for some reason helps me time it, since when I hit Y+X it just happens too fast and you're back on stage. (Which sometimes you might want) It's more about timing it, which is actually quite demanding.

Also, I don't know if this is accurate but I feel like this can't be done on Delfino. I've never done it successfully and the spot for cancelling it is interestingly close to the same area where you phantasm right through the stage rather than grabbing the ledge. I'm sure every Falco has had that happen to them at some point. :(

Edit: When recording some of my matches with the Dolphin, I noticed Falco actually goes through the stage for a few frames, (Unfortunately, I'm unaware of the exact number of frames.) and then is warped back to the ledge. It doesn't seem punishable given the precise timing, but it might be possible.

Sometimes the options you use need to have a purpose otherwise you are just being flashy or you are doing something very unnecessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yA1mpTkOaxo#t=39s
This is literally the only reason I could see using the canceling. To be able to get to the upper platform more quickly. If you could somehow manage to do this from far off the stage and go directly onto the ledge without wasting time hanging on the ledge. That would speed up his get back to stage fairly quickly. Additionally, it seems the 2nd jump is high enough to be able to phantasm directly to the other side of the stage. So, character depending, you are able to turn a bad situation around more quickly.

As for running offstage yourself to do this... I think its a bit unnecessary. Going offstage with Falco and returning with Bair/Dair/Nair is good because you can time when you go off to hit an opponent when they try breaking away from the ledge or getting back on. Lasers have the benefit of hitting crouching targets. Voluntarily running offstage to phantasm into a ledge cancel... I simply do not see what reward you get for doing this. It puts you up in the air without a 2nd jump. The idea of doing it from far off the stage is you are already in a bad spot to begin with and mixing it up to get back on stage. By running off, you are willingly losing stage, giving up your 2nd jump, and putting yourself above an opponent who is likely in the center of the stage or near it.

I'd rather just walk to the opponent and jab.

kismet2

Smash Ace
I'd rather just walk to the opponent and jab.
Sigged. =) I got a good laugh from this, haha.

Also I agree that using it as an escape option is better. It can be very useful against ICs or any character that you feel is trying to push you towards the ledge.

L3G1T

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0861-7985
Sometimes the options you use need to have a purpose otherwise you are just being flashy or you are doing something very unnecessary..
Yeah, that sounds like something I would do. ;)

But in all seriousness, using it as an escape option is superior to just running off and doing it, but I think it's nice to change up the ledge drop lasers if you use those often.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
question.

from a frame perspective, which is safer on shield, jab1 or jab2? and which is has a greater advantage on hit?

kismet2

Smash Ace
To be honest, it would depend on the character(since not many characters have good frame data) but, you might find yourself using jab1 on shield more often. Jab2 gives your opponent enough time to acknowledge it and go for a shieldgrab but it never hurts to mash it out. On hit jab2 has greater frame advantage. Jab2 gives you enough of an advantage over most characters to where you can shield to see what your opponent will do. Characters like Metaknight and Marth when you're looking to bait UpB's. But of course you can bait any character!

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
so then.

if they're shielding, jab1 is better for pressure.

if they're not shielding and i want a grab or similar, jab2 is better.

right?

Darktega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktega13
When you're saying jab2 you're referring to the second jab of the AAA combo, right?

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Your lack of qusestions is rathehr annoying. You should asks somemthing. At theh vevry lelast you could.... nenvevr mind.
I modded this place for like 3 years I do what I want!

Actually qusestion is Falco still considered good?

Darktega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktega13

Yup, it's number six in tiers and he has almost no bad matchups in my opinion, it could be Pikachu and ICs but they aren't unwinnable and that bad of a matchup.

kismet2

Smash Ace

Definitely. ^_^ He's a very solid character. He's never forced to do anything because of his jab and lasers, he can make his opponent play his game.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well it's nice to know some things haven't changed. :D

Rizen

Smash Legend
Q
Someone said this:
'CG spike does not kill Link, DI and SDI into the stage and you will hit the ground on the stage.'
but in my experience Falco can Dair very fast and with good spacing Link cannot DI into the ground. Is this true?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
You can SDi back on stage, yes, it's difficult, but it can be done.

You can even SDi into the side of the stage and tech jump.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, what advice would u give a pikachu main that wants to try his luck with falco? I like pikachu the most but, I just feel like I cnt get anywhere with him.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Hey guys, what advice would u give a pikachu main that wants to try his luck with falco? I like pikachu the most but, I just feel like I cnt get anywhere with him.
"Practice, Practice, Practice - 2008 Falco boards".
It's all you can do.

question for poke: how did you feel when i caped you to death that one smashfest. :troll: also rate my mario
2nd question how do you dacus/b dacus on wii-chuck?

Derped hard, Didn't play properly.
/cape *****.
/Johns.
/Falco is free offstage vs a cape that reverses your direction.

And it's not bad, you're not a bad player.

2nd question: Shake Smash.

Top Bottom