• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Forget BDacus
Forget Phantasm Cancels
Forget Boost pivot grabs
Even forget short hop double lasers.

Play a few matches just walking back and forth having your objective being seeing how close you can get your opponent to attack you without it hitting you.

Oh and new Falcos....stop jumping so much.
Totally agree, bdacus, BPG and SHDL are situational and shouldn't outprioritize the practice of close quarter combat.

But imo phantasm long cancel and silent laser are still vital to know.

pulse131

Smash Ace
l0ol it takes a little while but i can do the AT's and stuff in tourny o.o
as for his range, i like to look over at his shield grab. VERY good.

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
I've always felt that my grab was outranged by my opponent's (I usually play against fox, kirby, marth) (and zss but that doesn't reli count lol) Is t jst that their grabs are even larger, or am I misjudging it? We did our amateur 'testing' of the ranges and found that falco has the smallest.

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
Tommy_G... I love you, every single one of your post is so golden XD.

I completely agree, though I can't say I apply that to myself, I recently found out that once I autopilot, I can't seem to get out and that really hurts me. Only tournie matches where I've done amazing are where I drop the AT's and stop autopiloting to start using well spaced jabs and spamming the **** out of it.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
What about some grabs zss or olimar that pull you down from the edge guard. (falco = no good recovery).
Falco's recovery isn't as terrible as a lot of Falco's think it is. One word: Ledgephobia. Falco's don't mindgame their recovery as much as they should be. Every single option plain ledge option over 100% is very good. Firebird mindgames are amazing and can make the opponent move to a place where a ledge stand up is safe. Drop off ledge jump away from the ledge and use Firebird vertically right above the ledge but a good distance from the stage horizontally. If they opponent runs to the ledge and shields, go onto the stage. If they run back to try to hit the Firebird, go diagonally down to the ledge, then get a free ledge stand up.

This is one example, but Falco has many options to get off of the ledge safely. We need to stop being so scared of phantasm-ing to the ledge.(If MK tries to tornado you from getting the ledge, firebird to it.)

Oh and if you're sitting on a ledge long enough to lose your invulnerability with the opponent that close to you, you're doing something wrong. You need to move around. Pick an option and go with it.(stand up, drop off jump phantasm parallel with and above the stage horizontal, firebird mindgames, drop off jump aerials, roll up, jump up, etc.)
l0ol it takes a little while but i can do the AT's and stuff in tourny o.o
as for his range, i like to look over at his shield grab. VERY good.
It's not only his shield grab(even though its really good.) His regular grab has very good range, especially when you're walking around. Pivots make you slide a bit and start walking a bit faster, which extends your grab box.

I've always felt that my grab was outranged by my opponent's (I usually play against fox, kirby, marth) (and zss but that doesn't reli count lol) Is t jst that their grabs are even larger, or am I misjudging it? We did our amateur 'testing' of the ranges and found that falco has the smallest.
It depends. Marth's pivot grab is ridiculous. Falco's running grab sucks. Also be aware people can grab hurtboxes other players throw out while grabbing.

Tommy_G... I love you, every single one of your post is so golden XD.

I completely agree, though I can't say I apply that to myself, I recently found out that once I autopilot, I can't seem to get out and that really hurts me. Only tournie matches where I've done amazing are where I drop the AT's and stop autopiloting to start using well spaced jabs and spamming the **** out of it.
Drink more water. Dehydration makes your mind go into "no think" mode and makes you autopilot. Do you autopilot more as the day goes on?

Try to learn how powerful positional intimidation is. You getting paranoid of your opponents options when he's near you doesn't only happen to you. Your opponent locks down to options just as hard as you from seeing you just walking around.

Once you hit that paranoia-lock state of autopilot, its hard to get out because you're taking everything way too seriously and worrying about every little option that your opponent has. No one will ever win a match thinking their opponent will pick the correct option every single situation. You need to do something that eases your mind and makes you think clearer. I like to spin slide. :D Conveniently enough, spin sliding helps Falco because the majority of his good moves are on the ground.
Also, when you lose a stock, look away from the screen and pretend its a new match. Make a few jokes if you have to and it helps(not insulting ones, that'll make it worse.)

Oh and thank you, thank you, you're far too kind. :D

[Collapse=Edit: What I think about Silent lasers and Phantasm long cancels]
Silent lasers are good, but you need to commit to a jump to do them without it being situational. Falco should only really be in the air when his opponent is.
Phantasm long cancels are also good to help with recovery, but what I said above hopefully changes what you think about recovering. Ledges are good and Falco's ledge options are even better. [/collapse]

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
Smart Stuff

You made me realize I'm ALWAYS thirsty during tournaments, I always forget to take water and doing feel like paying for a small bottle xD.

Also, that's some very helpful advice, and I know it works, just need to get used to applying it more often.

And as far as Falco's ledge options go, I've been performing way better since I lost my fear of going for the ledge. Don't single other options out, but the ledge is your friend most of the time.

Staz

Smash Lord
So I'm having trouble learning how to SHDL, I don't use X or Y to jump. Is it that I don't use them that are causing me to struggle with it? Or is it just practice I am lacking?

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
So I'm having trouble learning how to SHDL, I don't use X or Y to jump. Is it that I don't use them that are causing me to struggle with it? Or is it just practice I am lacking?
......................................................................................................................

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Hey does any1 know in DEHF's cg list the last 2 have to be boost grabs...does that mean boost pivot grabs orrr what?

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
What tf should I do about Fox's utilt???
Ok I mean assuming I've been stupid and got hit by it at a low percent. Which way do I DI/SDI to get out fastest? Nothing I've tried has done anything to reduce the damage I take from it..

Also what is the safest thing to aim for afterwards? It seems that I get an aerial in the face even if I do manage to jump out before I get to a million percent. I realise that whatever I do can be punished if it's read, but is there a vaguely safe option?

Edit: also, on a side note, is the spike after the cg really guaranteed on fox? I might just such at using the dair but it seems if he DIs down or away i just can't get in to hit him offstage

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
sdi up and if he tries to follow you in the air, spike him back down to earth.

tommy, Im in florida, and nick riddle is coming to get me to play tomorrow, you should come play with me too.

pulse131

Smash Ace
nuther fun fact about the cg against spacies, you can standing cg them to a certain percent. i believe its 4 times on fox, 2 on falco and 3 on wolf, or something.
good too know if you get a grab near the edge.
also works on pika/TL if your AT the edge, facing away from it.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
what can falco do against tornado? while in it, when its incoming, when your over it, etc. Iget rocked by that move and i feel like i shouldn't lol

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
PSC grab the tornado or laser the tornado. If you in it, SDI out of it don't know which direction and dair him also a well timed up smash can get through.

Ares

Smash Journeyman
When your in it, hold your control stick towards the center of it and mash airdodge. (note from adhd's post on how to beat tornado)
When its coming at you, laser, reflector, upsmash break it. If its grounded, you can grab right before it gets to you, falco's grab is so good you dont have to PSC it.
When your above it, you have to aim for the dead center to land an attack. Dair, Nair, Bair work well.

If its coming at you and not grounded, just Pshield / shield it...learn to spot dodge the last frames of it to save ur shield
If your shield is going to break then just let go of it, better to take the little tornado damage than have a broken shield

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
If you get trapped inside of tornado:

SLOWLY tap up at a constant SLOW rate and you'll barely pop out above it, close enough to dair MK.

Probably about 1 tap every 1/2-3/4 of a second.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
If you get trapped inside of tornado:

SLOWLY tap up at a constant SLOW rate and you'll barely pop out above it, close enough to dair MK.

Probably about 1 tap every 1/2-3/4 of a second.
Lol i love how u always have these ranodm tidbits of knowledge. Ill try this instead of reg sdi.

On a side note a general(albeit prolly not extremely easy to answer) question: As falco, what opportunities and things should i be keeping in mind. And how safe is Side-b away. Also when camping is 1) better to fight hand to hand when they approach 2) reset the situation and if 2 how? is a mixture of Side-B rolling jumping etc the best? I've had a couple ppl say i play falco wrong which doesnt make sense to me...ima get some vids up soon so i can get yall to tell me if im approaching this character wrong...

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Lol i love how u always have these ranodm tidbits of knowledge. Ill try this instead of reg sdi.

On a side note a general(albeit prolly not extremely easy to answer) question: As falco, what opportunities and things should i be keeping in mind. And how safe is Side-b away. Also when camping is 1) better to fight hand to hand when they approach 2) reset the situation and if 2 how? is a mixture of Side-B rolling jumping etc the best? I've had a couple ppl say i play falco wrong which doesnt make sense to me...ima get some vids up soon so i can get yall to tell me if im approaching this character wrong...

i Will see you at Ryos tomarro night i can sit down with you and show you somethings.

it would be easyer for me to show you then to type it to you. Also what mu are you trying to apply this to each MU is different.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion

XD yeah I've been playing for a longggg time so I have stupid random experience. And yes, I'm stupid and random.

Learn all of your attacks. Learn their spacing, how fast it is, how they push away, where they hit, where they put your opponent, everything you possibly can learn about it.

I'm going to put emphasis on this: Do not learn your attacks by spamming as many of them as your can. You'll develop lockdown links that'll hinder your ability to learn. First practice using no moves and just space things by walking around. Then when it gets hard for your opponent to read your movement patterns(over the course of many friendlies) start using your moves, but only 1 or 2 exclusively at a time.

Spoilers: Exclusive camping doesn't work with Falco. There needs to be a fear of mixups. It's like a tank in an mmo that doesn't do damage. They're just there as a distraction and should simply be ignored. Smart players will hit you on the jump if they're not really far away.

1: Depends on where they are and how they approach. If they get right next to your shield, probably bair oos and mindgame where you're going to land. If they're barely outside of they're grab range, grab them. Falco's grab is good. If they're further than that, Ftilt or jab them. One of the most confusing and paranoia invoking thing you can do is do one jab or ftilt and walk away.

2: Learn the spacing of your attacks. They should never get past your Ftilt/jab range. Escaping is hard if they get close to you. Bair oos is good. It depends on what your think they're going to do. I've walked through people predicting an 'approaching shield/attack on shield hit'.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Traditionally people say Final Destination is the best stage for Falco against Meta Knight, but I question this because the stage's edges make it pretty tricky to recover safe (vs a good Meta). Realistically, you'll need as much recovery options as possible to do well. However, in Battlefield, although the edges are simpler, the platforms give Meta Knight the upper-hand. He can juggle and shield poke through them.
Personally I like Battlefield better...Final Destination bores me to death.

In all honesty, I'm not as campy and boring as a lot of Falcos try to be, so I enjoy Battlefield more. Final D bores me to death.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Most Falcos seem to prefer BF over FD though in tournament you'll find that almost all of your opponents will ban FD

The platforms on BF help camping because they limit your opponent's approach options (i.e. they can't approach from above) and Falco's best anti-approach options are on the x-axis. Against a character like Metaknight that's pretty huge because he's going to have a harder time chasing you on BF when you have the lead compared to FD. The stage length doesn't really matter imo because MK's dash speed is so fast anyway. MK is indeed very good with platforms but it's up to you not to get stuck on the platform too many times in a match :)

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Most Falcos seem to prefer BF over FD though in tournament you'll find that almost all of your opponents will ban FD

The platforms on BF help camping because they limit your opponent's approach options (i.e. they can't approach from above) and Falco's best anti-approach options are on the x-axis. Against a character like Metaknight that's pretty huge because he's going to have a harder time chasing you on BF when you have the lead compared to FD. The stage length doesn't really matter imo because MK's dash speed is so fast anyway. MK is indeed very good with platforms but it's up to you not to get stuck on the platform too many times in a match :)
That's true too.

Top Bottom