• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Holding the C-Stick Up during any point during the BDacus Inputs/ Duration does not change the distance for BDacus.

If Both BDacus inputs are made during the 10 Frame Buffer Window, You will Always get the same distance, every single time. However if One Usmash input is made Outside said window the distance will be Vary.

Also, For Luxio, asking for the Hitbox for BDacus ( Full Distance ) Here's the closest/ most accurate image I will ever make/ be made for the Strong hit of BDacus.

Hope this helps for spacing BDacus!

* This is only for the strong hit on frames 8 to whatever. Not the sour spot.

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
Oh ok. Thanks, Poke.

Q, Can someone explain what this thing about reversing the firebird is and the mechanics behind it?

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Well, the match-up thread has been dead for months, and the question i got is more general Falco problem than anything.

Ok, after the tourny today, I gotta ask. How does one get out of a juggle? I was doing fine against MK/Snake, but G&W just destroyed me, when ever he hit me up, he would pretty much completely control when and where I would land with his n-air and his u-air. Over the matches I could find nothing to do, d-air gets beat by his n-air or pushed back up with u-air. trying to land nets the same thing, and air dodging gets me up smashed. I imagine its not just G&W, so how do I overcome Falco's crap options, other than just "dont get hit"?

Darktega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktega13
You can reverse Fire Bird by tapping in the direction opposite of the direction that you are currently facing just before or after you input the Fire Bird.
Any video? I think I have done this before and never noticed it was a Reverse Fire Bird.

Y

Yodery

So, I just recently got a brand new white GameCube controller from Amazon, and for some reason, I can't BDACUS now. Wtf? Do I just need to break in the controller a little more? I'm PRETTY SURE I'm doing everything right.... Someone help? IMO, it's pathetic that a guy that's been maining Falco for over 3 years still can't BDACUS. :L

Ultimate~Anarchy

Smash Rookie
So, I just recently got a brand new white GameCube controller from Amazon, and for some reason, I can't BDACUS now. Wtf? Do I just need to break in the controller a little more? I'm PRETTY SURE I'm doing everything right.... Someone help? IMO, it's pathetic that a guy that's been maining Falco for over 3 years still can't BDACUS. :L
I guess it takes some people longer to learn the bdacus, and thats fine.
You should wear out the controller, I am pretty sure its just because the controller is new.
Otherwise test dacus/ bdacus on another controller.
Edit: What are you bdacus from? (shl, shdl, spot dodge, landing, or out of a throw?)

Labernash

Smash Lord
How do I regrab someone during the chain grab from their backside and start going the other direction? What's the input and timing for that?

:phone:

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
The timing is the same, but you have to input a boost pivot grab. The input is down throw > dash > dash attack > pivot + grab. The pivot grab cancels the dash attack so you dont see it. It's all very fast and it takes a bit of practice to get down. So on the controller, if you are originally facing right, it would be down (dthrow) > right > cstick down > left + z.

kismet2

Smash Ace
Well, the match-up thread has been dead for months, and the question i got is more general Falco problem than anything.

Ok, after the tourny today, I gotta ask. How does one get out of a juggle? I was doing fine against MK/Snake, but G&W just destroyed me, when ever he hit me up, he would pretty much completely control when and where I would land with his n-air and his u-air. Over the matches I could find nothing to do, d-air gets beat by his n-air or pushed back up with u-air. trying to land nets the same thing, and air dodging gets me up smashed. I imagine its not just G&W, so how do I overcome Falco's crap options, other than just "dont get hit"?
i'm surprised no one answered this lol. one of the best ways to escape juggles is to save your double jump that way you can jump away when they get too close then try to fastfall to reach the ground/platform faster. my favorite method is to phantasm away <3. if you know how to cancel it right it'll get you out of alot of nasty situations.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
B-reversal lasers can be useful in certain scenarios for helping landing. The quick momentum shift is nice. I advocate experimenting with that like i am :p

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
***** i've been using that ish with pit for ages.

lol xD

At least with pit when u mess up u don't phantasm though...

So

Much

:salt:

>.>

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Haven't had time to try any of this yet, and maybe I jumped on this too quick, after only 3 matches I probably should have tried more. Was just really frustrating to have so little control over the situation. Thanks for the responses, I guess I can ask some theory questions:

Would using phantasm really work against someone as quick in the air as G&W, I'm 90% guessing here, but couldn't he just keep you flying off the stage helpless with his u-air? If you want to go low before using it, i found that i would get n-aired before i could act. the air seemed to be separated in 2 areas, too high i would eat a u-smash or get pushed by u-air, to low and i would eat a n-air, putting me back to the start again.

Maybe I'm just not understanding something.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I don't understand what situations you're talking about but I'm 99% sure the answer is : stop being predictable with phantasm.

That move is good, but if people can anticipate it you're gonna get hit by all the smashes of the world and even some Falcon Punches with that.

So I repeat do NOT fall into any kind of habit when it comes to using phantasm, let the opponent guess.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I don't understand what situations you're talking about but I'm 99% sure the answer is : stop being predictable with phantasm.

That move is good, but if people can anticipate it you're gonna get hit by all the smashes of the world and even some Falcon Punches with that.

So I repeat do NOT fall into any kind of habit when it comes to using phantasm, let the opponent guess.
You're absolutely right I just want to add on.

When you're using side b's to recover pay close attention to how you've ended up conditioning your opponent/how they try to deal with side b.

Its not really a big secret falcos gonna side b back. Which means most decent players WILL try to punish it.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Well I really was not referring to recovery, its being stuck above G&W in general. I'm as good with recovering as Falco allows me to be, that all fine. My problem I was asking about is when you are getting juggled badly. people said side-b, and I responded that I didn't think it would work, as I said in my post above.

And I try to be unpredictable, I tried 4 or 5 ways several times each to touch down, but I just couldn't find one that didn't rely on the other person completely messing up...

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Oh yeah, GW's Uair and Nair can be a pain to deal with.

Then advice #0 would be : don't get caught in such a situation.
Ask yourself what happened that put you above GW.
If you tend to jump a lot and burn your second jump too easily then stay on the ground, if it's mostly GW catching you and Uthrowing you then don't get caught, etc.
You can say "well, duh" but sometimes lack of common sense is the issue.

Now you're caught in that situation, what do ?
Well, what kismet said : save your DJ, phantasm cancel away.

Other than that hmm, airdodge works if GW is doing his aerial while ascending, FF Bair is a gamble that can work and when all else has failed you can always willingly get hit by a Bair/Nair and SDI to avoid the last hit. Ending right above GW after the SDI is a free FF Bair for you.

Other than that I don't remember having too much trouble with this situation, just get familiar with GW's weird *** hitboxes and "don't end up above him".
Really, if anything it should be GW that ends up above you due to how effective your jab/Ftilt are against his ground game.

Veeonix

Smash Apprentice
General Tips - Falco has a better ground game, GnW has a better airgame. He wants you in the air, you want him on the ground. Try to even the playing field by staying out of his range (Falco out ranges him usually).

Preventative Measures - Keep Falco low to the ground. Run if you have too. A retreating short-hop illusion at ground level (Don't remember what it's called) is really fast, and can get you out of the way in a hurry. You jump faster from the ground. Space, jump, and flee. You can't trade blows with GnW. His attacks can kill at 60-70 if they hard read your Airdodge/Roll/Landing etc.

After the Fact - As the others said, if you condition the other player to act one way, read your opponent's assumed response, and do something else. This can buy you a landing. Falco has few options with someone under him. It's worse if the person under him is Marth, MK, Pika and especially GnW. Laser Reversal can shift moment in the air without using a jump. Using Illusion without cancelling is almost guaranteed to give your opponent a free hit. This puts you back to where you were. Cancelling gives you enough fall speed, momentum and distance to land into shield. F-Falling Bair/Dair/Nair is a long shot, but sometimes works. Classic Airdodging is good, but bad if they read it or GnW's U-Air stalls you until your invincibility wears off. Falco doesn't have other options, that's it. Go for the ledge/platforms if you can, to avoid landing 'into' him.

Stages - Flat stages against GnW sucks. Camping is near useless because of his ducking/bucket antics. GnW can clip you on the ledge with a Dash Attack spike, don't camp there. The more platforms you have, the more places to land away from GnW you have. Battlefield and Yoshi's are good stages against him. This also cuts his air game down when hiding under platforms. Cutting off his air game, and his unpunishable Dair will go a long way.

Final Note - Don't land into GnW. Airdodge/Spot Dodge through a smash is useless, long hit boxes will hit you anyway. Challenging his smashes to clash is suicide. Soft, spaced hits are both better and safer. Don't bother using slow, high powered moves (aka F-Smash/D-Smash). Laser sparingly. Bucket = Stock sometimes. GnW has good horizontal stamina, but mediocre vertical stamina. U-Air, U-Tilt and U-Smash are prime kill moves, and generally safer than the others anyway. And finally, never challenge his Dair...

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Practice the basics:
Short Hop Double Laser/ Short Hop Laser.
The Chain Grab.
Jab x2 -> Grab/ Jab/ Run away/ anything else.
Spacing, Di, Recovery.
Instant Aerial Phantasm ( IAP ).

This guide was originally posted here, but I can't find it anymore and it's by far the best guide for Falco ( In my opinion )

http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=23232

The only thing they have wrong is that Falco's momentum cancel is Uair.

Since you're probably just starting off, master the basics first before you try and master Dacus/ BDacus and Gatling Combo.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
GW vs Falco. Jab a lot. Win.
Lasering also shuts down game and watch. If G&W players start looking for the lasers to bucket, you can give them 2/3 and then stop lasering entirely. Until then, use empty short hops mindgamed with real lasers as a bait for free damage. Stay in range where they can't bucket safely.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
But it is...
I said that.. It was just poorly worded.

Since in that Guide, it lists his Bair.

Which is why I said "The only thing wrong is that his momentum cancel is Uair".

I probably should have specified that.

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
Fair enough.

By the way, I don't think it talks about his momentum cancel aerial (any more).

But yes, Uair is fastest and that guide is pretty good.

Veeonix

Smash Apprentice
So i have a question. Why is up air the right momentum cancelling move? I thought the back air comes out in 4 frames vs the up air at 10 frames? Was i mistaken? Does the up air cancel more momentum than the back air, despite comingbout later? Im mot sure, but i think that is the same case for link.

:phone:

Even how quickly it ends only matters if someone can attempt to hit you after knock you into the air. In most cases, use whatever works. The aerial is only there for the ability to fast fall. That's the real momentum canceling.

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
Even how quickly it ends only matters if someone can attempt to hit you after knock you into the air. In most cases, use whatever works. The aerial is only there for the ability to fast fall. That's the real momentum canceling.
That's true for vertical momentum cancelling, but for horizontal mc, you'd still want to use the fastest aerial and then a jump, which cancels the horizontal momentum. And using the fastest aerial regardless of situation is still almost always better because you're given control of your character earlier.

I'm not sure why I'm telling you this though, whether there's some miscommunication or I'm completely mistaken, because you're the smash researcher here and you're easily more experienced that I am.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Luxingo is right.
If you're sent flying vertically then use whatever aerial you want (tho Dair with Cstick on smash is the best because it fastfalls on frame 1-2).
If you're sent flying horinzontally/diagonally then use the fastest ending aerial and jump towards the stage.
If you're sent anywhere and know you will live without momentum canceling then feel free to not do it, especially if you're opponent is trying to follow up.

Like, don't mc if MK sends you above him or it's a free shuttle loop for him.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
If you're sent anywhere and know you will live without momentum canceling then feel free to not do it, especially if you're opponent is trying to follow up.

Like, don't mc if MK sends you above him or it's a free shuttle loop for him.
This habit was hard for me to kick.

If I'm not going to die, what's the fastest way to regain control? I know to momentum cancel with anyone (the best part is that I play Ike who's best horizontal momentum cancel is air dodge), but I actually never researched why. I am certain I was told originally, but I don't know what that means for a blow that won't kill you.

You momentum cancel because jump and fastfall are the only ways to change your momentum aside from simple ASDI (which is hella slow) sans moves like Pikachu's Skull Bash or Luigi's Green Missile that change your momentum (though both these moves have to overcome your current momentum instead of simply changing it immediately like a G&W or DK Brake). I know it gets you to your jump or FF faster, but I don't what that means about actually regaining control of your character from hit stun.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Go read swordgard's thread in the tactical discussion, go search it.

In short when you airdodge/aerial it makes you cut a part of the hitstun (part that you cannot cut with a special or a jump) and makes you control your character again.

Now that you have the control back you can :
-FF (impossible during an airdodge)
-Drift towards the stage, it will slow you down (but won't stop you) more or less depending on your character's drift speed.
-Jump towards the stage, which is the same as above but way more effective (except for characters with multi jumps)
-Use a special (dangerous as most special increase your momentum).

Knowing what you need to do to survive is more or less obvious and you have to get the feel of it through experience.
The most important thing when you know you're not gonna die is to keep your options ready and not commit in order to not get punished (ie save your jump if it's not necessary to your MC).
And beside aerial and airdodge you can regain control of your char by airteching (alternating left and right quickly), it'll put you in your neutral aerial stance.

Tl;DR : go read swordgard's post.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
All I needed. Aerial/Air Dodge when a follow-up is not imminent. Leave it alone and save your air dodge if you could be swung at.

Top Bottom