• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

Rehreh

Smash Rookie
Dash -> C-Stick down -> Control stick Back + Grab. If you do it this way you hold the controller funky. It's how I do it at least :p

Edit: I also changed by grab to X, thus making me hold my controller funky. If you use Z it's fine.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
Question: How do I make yoshi's island (brawl) work for falco? I can't laser properly, IAP, or do anything, lol.

Help please.
I'm not a big fan of Yoshi's Island either. Shy guys and the middle platform can get in the way of the lasers. The sloped edges makes it hard to edge guard with the dair. The little slope in the middle makes it easier to duck under lasers. It sucks pretty hard. I always avoid the stage >_>

I'm not a big fan of Yoshi's Island either. Shy guys and the middle platform can get in the way of the lasers. The sloped edges makes it hard to edge guard with the dair. The little slope in the middle makes it easier to duck under lasers. It sucks pretty hard. I always avoid the stage >_>
I don't see how that helps him exactly.

Question: How do I make yoshi's island (brawl) work for falco? I can't laser properly, IAP, or do anything, lol.

Help please.
IMOs to best solve the IAP and lasering is to improvize with what you have. SHDL/SHL from the slopes or center slope to get the most effect. To IAP, just jump a little higher than normal. You still get the phantasm done with less lag. Just a little bit more than the normal IAP.

Cross.

Smash Ace
I think canceling the phantasm should work too? Not the shortest cancel but the semi short one. It would prevent you from going onto the slopes wouldnt it?

Denzi

Smash Master
@Vlade:

If you're on the highest point of the slope, you can IAP normally. Otherwise yeah, just jump a bit higher. As for lasers, note which way the platform's tilted, because the lasers go through the bottom but are stopped by the top. Hitting Shy guys with lasers can actually be a good thing because it'll refresh other moves.

Basically, just pay attention to where you are and do what applies in that position +situation.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Dash -> Dash Attack (I use C-stick forward) -> Back on the control stick + Z.
The best way I can describe the timing is by saying that it's similar to the timing for the boost smash.

Thank you for using the Q&A thread.
Is that Dash -> Dash Attack -> . . .
or can it be Dash -> Run -> Dash Attack -> . . . ?

I've been entirely unable to pull off the RBPG, even though I can do the DACUS on characters with far more strict timing requirements.

Can you relate the relative timing of the steps to Falco's own DACUS? Or some other character's?

J4pu

Smash Champion
Is that Dash -> Dash Attack -> . . .
or can it be Dash -> Run -> Dash Attack -> . . . ?

I've been entirely unable to pull off the RBPG, even though I can do the DACUS on characters with far more strict timing requirements.

Can you relate the relative timing of the steps to Falco's own DACUS? Or some other character's?
dash and run are the same thing...

Gmoney_

Smash Journeyman
Q: What aerial is best to use instead of an Airdodge after DI-ing ? I myself use Uair, but I was wondering if there is a better one ?

Edit: At high Percentage when u're sent flying.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
dash and run are the same thing...
*facepalm*

Obviously I was making use of a distinction. As clearly, a character's run is not mechanically equivalent to the start of their run, just as a character's run is distinct from their pivot.

I call the second one the dash.

Kais3000

Smash Cadet
Yes you can be running and still pull off the BPG. You do not need to get the intial dash.

scarletsoldier

Smash Cadet
Q: What aerial is best to use instead of an Airdodge after DI-ing ? I myself use Uair, but I was wondering if there is a better one ?

Edit: At high Percentage when u're sent flying.
i use Fair but thats just me or Bair. Uair is good but not the best one to use Im saying this through experience

Denzi

Smash Master
i use Fair but thats just me or Bair. Uair is good but not the best one to use Im saying this through experience
DON'T USE FAIR. The point of using an aerial after getting sent flying is to regain control as fast as possible, and the faster the aerial you use, the faster you regain control. Seeing as Fair is the laggiest of Falco's aerials, it's the worst choice. You should be using Bair (or Dair whan sent vertically).

@PK-ow!: I said in my post (you even quoted it) that the timing for the BPG was similar to Falco's Boost Smash, which is another name for DACUS. Sorry I wasn't clear.

scarletsoldier

Smash Cadet
Denzi U use Fair for DIng because even tho its extremly laggy all the control u need is the direction u want to go(isnt that the point of DI). Your opponent does have time to react to u but he shouldnt becasue u must be unpredictable about where your trying to go and u still have alot of options in the air.

zamz

Smash Journeyman
Denzi U use Fair for DIng because even tho its extremly laggy all the control u need is the direction u want to go(isnt that the point of DI). Your opponent does have time to react to u but he shouldnt becasue u must be unpredictable about where your trying to go and u still have alot of options in the air.
Never use F-Air to recover. It has nothing to do with being punished. You won't be punished in the kill-zone. You're too far away. You want to gain control of your character quickly for a different reason altogether.

By using B-Air as your aerial, you can gain control of your character the soonest, letting you FF and DI quicker than you would with F-Air. If you use F-Air, you can't FF/DI until after your F-Air has finished...and as Denzi said, it is the "laggiest of Falco's aerials."

You want to gain control of your character quickly, so you can cancel your momentum and begin falling towards the stage ASAP. Every fraction of a section you wait, is a higher chance you'll be knocked into the kill-zone.

J4pu

Smash Champion
If you use F-Air, you can't FF/DI until after your F-Air has finished
noyou'rewrong
Am I the only person who read through the giant thread that developed in tactical about this? I feel like I'm always correcting people/explaining it.

When you are in semi-hitstun (the point where you are flying away and all you can do is DI and aerial or AD) if you use an aerial you can immediately FF. The difference between this and normal FF'ing is that this doesn't require you to have hit the apex of your jump and have started falling already and the effect is that the actual apex of where you are sent flying is decreased rather than increasing your downward fall speed.
As with normal FF'ing, this input can be done while your aerial is still happening, and since Csticking a Dair automatically enters a down input (FF input), Dair is the easiest way to do this efficiently. Although, Csticking any other aerial (maybe not Uair, would the Up input cancel the down one? I dono) and pressing down on the analog stick at the same time would give the same effect.

How fast your aerial finishes is only really important if you are flying off the side. (unless you are playing doubles and the teamate of whoever hit you is chasing you off the top of the screen)

although, it's funny when Marths know how to DI and they do it when you only hit them halfway up the screen, Dair lags so much and Falco's jumps are so awesome it's a free Uair

zamz

Smash Journeyman
"So i was right lol this is just to funny
Not at all. You shouldn't use Fair when recovering horizontally.

I'm right when you need to recover horizontally. I'm only wrong in saying that the fastest aerial should ALWAYS be used. J4pu states that there ARE in fact times when the aerial you use doesn't make much of a difference: when you're recovering vertically. Why? Because during ANY aerial, you can still Fast Fall in the middle of it and begin your descend.

I'm incorrect from the statement that you can't FF until after the aerial has finished, which obviously isn't true (and I'm not sure why I said it, considering I FF all the time). It just shows how long it's been since I've last played.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Fairs start-up is slower than all of Falco's other aerials.

I was under the impression that start-up is what mattered for vertical knockback, since it controls how soon we can fastfall, if only by a few frames.

Either way, we should still always be using Bair for recovery.

EDIT: Scarletsoldier, please don't be offensive to other members.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Fair's hitbox may come out slower, but the actual game reads every aerial as starting on frame 1 as far as FF abilities (I would think, not entirely sure).
I just don't see how a hitbox coming out would change it, it should just be the fact that you used an aerial at all.

I.iZ.nO.1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iizno1
3DS FC
1349-7897-6883
hey guys, new falco player. I know this question may have been asked a bit, but with so many pages to look through i was wondering if you could help me out. i was wondering what the timing for the short Phantasm is. i have been able to do it sometimes, usually when im not trying to. I know you have to press b again afte the start up of the phantasm but is there an exact point at which i should be pressing b again? thanks for the help.

J4pu

Smash Champion
there are 4 lengths of phantasm (I guess some people have been saying otherwise, but I still believe there are only 4)
the cancel where you go nowhere
the cancel where you go about half-way
the cancel where you go about 3/4 of the full distance
and the not canceled full phantasm

when you do the nowhere cancel, you don't hear the "ping" sound that normally comes out, but when you cancel the ~1/2 way you do hear it.
Therefore logically I assume pressing right before the ping sound (and I mean RIGHT BEFORE) would give you the shortest cancel.

in general it's good to just practice and practice anything you have trouble with until it becomes easy, there are no secret easy solutions to doing these things.

I.iZ.nO.1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iizno1
3DS FC
1349-7897-6883
@J4pu
thanks for the advice, i will get on that. I think i am an okay falco player, just need more practice, and am hoping to get the timing down on the phantasm cancel because i can pretty much do the rest of falco's techniques, just need to work on the set up.

scarletsoldier

Smash Cadet
Sorry if i seem offensive im not tyring to be for future reference but u could mash B lol but its hard to time it took me forever to do it

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
there are 4 lengths of phantasm (I guess some people have been saying otherwise, but I still believe there are only 4)
the cancel where you go nowhere
the cancel where you go about half-way
the cancel where you go about 3/4 of the full distance
and the not canceled full phantasm

when you do the nowhere cancel, you don't hear the "ping" sound that normally comes out, but when you cancel the ~1/2 way you do hear it.
Therefore logically I assume pressing right before the ping sound (and I mean RIGHT BEFORE) would give you the shortest cancel.

in general it's good to just practice and practice anything you have trouble with until it becomes easy, there are no secret easy solutions to doing these things.
We need frame data for timing....

Top Bottom