• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
It's Bair if you're knocked horizontally. Vertically it doesn't really matter since you can fastfall all aerials on their first frame, but most people C-stick the Dair since it auto-fastfalls when you have it set to Smash.

And thus fulfills our weekly "Guy who asks which move to use for momentum cancelling" quota.

Now we just need someone to come in and ask about the timing for boost grab/smash and we're set 'til next monday.

EDIT: Here's a good question. Why did Youtube pick tonight to not let me upload videos, and thus prevent the Falco community from learning about my awesome new combo?

ftl

Smash Journeyman
Because youtube sucks.

I suppose to answer tommy_g, I think I knew that, or at least I was using it; I picked it up when I was trying to find out how to fight olimar and watched some anti-olimar videos from the video thread, that was a pretty common tactic, ffdair->something. (Used it a bunch in beating an olimar who had pwned me before that.) I was pretty sure that dair autocancelling was common knowledge...

Killa Kaos

Smash Rookie
R.o.b.

Can anyone give me some advice on fighting R.O.B.? I tend to do decently, but I get ***** by forward tilts too much for my liking. Thanks in advance :)

Can anyone give me some advice on fighting R.O.B.? I tend to do decently, but I get ***** by forward tilts too much for my liking. Thanks in advance :)
SHL/SHDL to cause approach, but use reflector to stop robs own las0r and gyro. Careful of SH as trying to laser might lead you to getting hit by robs own laser. Once that is done. Space carefully with jab and ftilt.

For robs ftilt, be vigilant and shielding/dodging. Not much more you can do about it except increase your own skill on the matter of avoiding getting hit.

This won't be the same for everyone, but typically it is similar and pretty generic approaches to both rob and falco.

Vlade

Social Outcast
My favourite way of dealing with ROB's ftilt is shield it, then backflip SHL OoS or backflip into phantasm.

I'd say falco would have the advantage if ROB didn't edgeguard so darn well. Fairs can rack up tonnes of damage off-stage and potentially kill.

ROB players also often have patterns when they shoot their laser/gyro. Learn it, predict it, and punish with reflector. Usually they won't shoot their laser when you're up close, and they often shoot it while recovering. So yes, analysing your opponent's playstyle is very important when fighting ROB.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
So this has happened maybe twice: I phantasm at some weird part of the ledge and I don't grab the edge. This happened at Lylat and I ended up not grabbing the ledge and just falling to my doom. The second time was on FD and I ended up just suddenly standing on the stage. No landing animation. No grabbed ledge. Just intant standing. This happens to other characters too. Is there anyway to do this consistently?

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
That's just like the double dolphin slash that I saw on youtube once. It's a very precise spot on the stage or in the ending of the animation that allows a character to stand straight up, with no landing lag. Maybe it's a combination of both.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I wouldn't be surprised if someone figures a way to master this. It will however take a huge amount of precise timing and skill to perfect it.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Lol I do this as my taunt when I KO an opponent.

Run off the stage. Hold away from the stage. 8 frames later (or about when Falco's shins are level with the edge,) Phantasm back towards.

It's very odd to watch this frame-by-frame. Falco actually goes inside the stage on one frame, which you don't see when you do it real time.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace

Run off the stage. Hold away from the stage. 8 frames later (or about when Falco's shins are level with the edge,) Phantasm back towards.

It's very odd to watch this frame-by-frame. Falco actually goes inside the stage on one frame, which you don't see when you do it real time.
Is it too difficult to do when there's an opponent? It seems like being able to consistently pull this off would make recovery a hell of a lot easier.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Is it too difficult to do when there's an opponent? It seems like being able to consistently pull this off would make recovery a hell of a lot easier.
I'm currently running tests on Falco's ability to pull this off consistently. There are some problems, such as bizarre behaviour on certain stages, and the apparent distance requirements.

There's also the fact that everyone once in a while, Falco decides he's going to immediately stand on stage rather than float in the air. I have no idea why that is, by I think it may be tied in with the aforementioned distance requirements, possibly stage-specific.

Long story short, I'll get back to you :).

Jupz

Smash Master
When should I use grounded lasers, if ever? I've been using them recently just a little as there never expected. (except for the obvious laser lock)

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Exactly as you just said. To keep it unexpected. It's obviously inferior to the SHL and SHDLs, but throwing in grounded lasers sometimes is good.

Denzi

Smash Master
It's obvious, but I'm still going to say it: Use them to Laser Lock.

Keep an eye on your opponent and look at how often they tech. If they don't really, you could try to catch them whenever they're about to hit the ground. It's a good way to get a substantial lead.

§witch

Smash Lord

That's pretty interesting.

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
Sup guys?

Whenever i have someone in kill range and they know that they are expecting me to Usmash or Fsmash, they easily sheild it. whats the best way to get that kill when they sheild all of my smashes? im usually good at racking up damage and getting them in KO range. i just have trouble getting that Ko.i guess what im asking is whats the best way to get my opponent open for a Kill(fmash u smash)

Thanks in advanced :-0

Denzi

Smash Master
That's pretty interesting.

Yeah, it is.

I remember a while back there was a thread made by someone who could do it consistently, but we reached the conclusion that it didn't add much to Falco's game.

I can't KO people because they shield/dodge my smashes.
There are a couple things that Falco can do to get a kill move in. You can Silent Laser -> Boost Smash, you can try the Gatling Combo if they tend to powershield hits, and full jab combo -> Fsmash is much more situational, but is fairly unexpected and works rather well (at least the first time). When they're offstage, gimping/Stage Spiking with Bair is a lot safer than going for the spike (on most chars), so that's probably your best bet there.

rocklee10

Smash Journeyman
Sup guys?

Whenever i have someone in kill range and they know that they are expecting me to Usmash or Fsmash, they easily sheild it. whats the best way to get that kill when they sheild all of my smashes? im usually good at racking up damage and getting them in KO range. i just have trouble getting that Ko.i guess what im asking is whats the best way to get my opponent open for a Kill(fmash u smash)

Thanks in advanced :-0
Expect them to shield and grab, than chain grab > Usmash > jump > Bair, works almost everytime. But once they get too much damage to CG > Usmash, a good tactic is get them in the air, than Usmash right as they're getting down.

Or the fun cheap way is Bair your opponent off stage > Spike, but that hardly ever
works perfectly lol. Stage spike like Denzi said.

Denzi

Smash Master
Uair is another good kill move but I wouldn't recommend it on Toonlink, Link, and G&W. There Dair just makes it hard.
And if you use it to bait the airdodge (especially on chars with terrible Dairs like ROB and Marth), you can follow up with any other aerial, so even if it misses you still get something out of it.

If jab to shield grabbing works what about upsmash instead? Upsmash is only 2 frames slower. Plus, if you time the jab to hit them when they least expect it they wouldn't shield. Maybe even jab < shield < JCUS.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
I try that and get blocked 60% of the time. I could be doing it wrong though*scratches head* What's Jucus again? (lol..)
Jump Cancelled Up-Smash

__crystal___ said:
If jab to shield grabbing works what about upsmash instead? Upsmash is only 2 frames slower. Plus, if you time the jab to hit them when they least expect it they wouldn't shield. Maybe even jab < shield < JCUS.
Upsmash instead of what? Upsamsh is 44 frames . . . jab and shield grab is no where near 44 frames . . . put together.

Denzi

Smash Master
I'm new to the Falco boards and have no idea what a silent laser refers to.
it's timing your laser so that it comes out right as you hit the ground. You land completely laglessly, so you can follow up with pretty much anything, and the laser makes no sound (hence the name) and travels at the lowest possible height.

Jupz

Smash Master
A laser that comes out excatly when you hit the ground it will come out at ground level. It dosen't make a noise thats why its called silent laser :p

C.J.

Smash Master
Oh, so a perfectly timed SHL/SHDL, lol. So I've been doing it right. Thanks.

Upsmash instead of what? Upsamsh is 44 frames . . . jab and shield grab is no where near 44 frames . . . put together.
In the ending lag perhaps. I was referring to the being frames of the attack. Upsmash hits on frame 8. Grabbing is on frame 6.

Plus, I thought that jab to upsmash was relatively safe. Espically if you do it from a powershield or a shield and just JCUS. Jab would mess them, causing them to likely either shield or attack. If they shield most likely the attack from upsmash won't be powershielded. You give them hit stun and push them backwards a bit from the attack. So it's something to throw out there every so often like Jab combo > fsmash.

I've thrown it out there every so often and actually get the KOs. Although, typically it is when they are in the middle of something and completely taken aback. Like if they were dashing at me.

The jump canceled up smash is pretty simple. Just jump then input the command for an upsmash directly afterwards. What happens is that this is benefical from a shield in that you don't have to have those frames of dropping the shield. You just go straight out of it.

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
Hey everybody. So after a long while I've decided to pick up falco as my secondary! What are some AT's/skills I need to know if I want to become a sucessful Falco player?

Hey everybody. So after a long while I've decided to pick up falco as my secondary! What are some AT's/skills I need to know if I want to become a sucessful Falco player?
The big techs.

Gatling Combo - Hitting a person with a dash attack which gets cancelled into an upsmash.
Boost Smashing - Similar to snake's mortar slide thing.
SHL - Short Hop Laser
SHDL - Short Hop Double Laser
BPG - Boost Pivot Grab
IAP - Immediate Aerial Phantasm

Other little things to get familiar with are percents at which upsmash kills people, chaingrab percents on people and options out of the chaingrab.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=166854 - That link is sticked, it shows you links to other guides taht are useful and can explain a bit more on those things. Any other questions just try to keep them in the Q&A thread (Which is here xP) instead of making a completely new thread for a new quesiton.

Top Bottom