• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread, READ BEFORE MAKING NEW THREADS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
What is the difference between blocking regular and blocking whilst tilting upwards / downwards?
If you hold your shield and lightly press different directions on the control stick, you will notice that the shield will move slightly in whatever direction you are pressing the control stick.
However, you have to be careful, otherwise you will roll, jump, or spotdodge.

This isn't available with the Wiimote. However, it is usable for the WiiChuck, that other weird controller for the Wii, and the GCN controller.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Basically, imagine the bubble of your shield envelopes only what you see in it. By tilting the shield when it is smaller, you can cover things it wouldn't normally cover whilst in the middle only.

Edit: No! Ano posted first!

Alain

Smash Cadet
Basically, imagine the bubble of your shield envelopes only what you see in it. By tilting the shield when it is smaller, you can cover things it wouldn't normally cover whilst in the middle only.

Edit: No! Ano posted first!

hmnnnn...thanks

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
the question was... what advantage does this give ??

have any examples ?
MKs tornado pokes the upper part of your shield. If you tilt your shield upwards he can't shieldstab you anymore (unless your shield is very small already). If you don't tilt your shield upwars its upper part will be too small to block the tornado.

It usually works like this: If a move pokes your shield you should tilt your shield towards the hitboy to minimize the chance of getting shieldstabbed.

:059:

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Well, I guess you could practice it the way I practiced getting used to the dair spike. Go into training mode, and put the CPU on falco or diddy or another character that you would shine gimp. Just keep hitting them off and practice shinespiking them as they try to recover until it becomes second nature.

This is also good because you get to practice recovering after the shinespike, and even if you're already great with recovering a little more practice can't hurt, especially with wolf.

Alain

Smash Cadet
Falco
:

-Learn to DI and tech the CG -> Spike 100% of the time. It's def. worth it because you can fight Falco from the getgo instead of just camping. Laser camping the Falco until he starts reflecting the blasters back at you is STUPID. You are giving him a free 30%-40%. Why not just fight him normally (which will result in you actually damaging Falco) and be sure to DI/tech the cg->spike if you make a mistake.
then what does jj mean here?

castorpollux

Smash Champion
It's not possible. If it were there would be noooo issue.
It's 100% possible. I haven't been gimped like that by a falco in a very very very long time... and i fought SK92 yestarday

**edit**

sorry i misunderstood what he was asking.

No you can't tech falco's dthrow chaingrab but u can DI/tech the spike in the end

Alain

Smash Cadet
It's 100% possible. I haven't been gimped like that by a falco in a very very very long time... and i fought SK92 yestarday

**edit**

sorry i misunderstood what he was asking.

No you can't tech falco's dthrow chaingrab but u can DI/tech the spike in the end
While your here instead of figuring it out for myself (lol). How exactly do you do it? Are there any caveats or special timings outside of the ordinary?

tekkie

Smash Master
silence ...sigh =(
oh yeah. Chinese DI. While Falco is chaingrabbing your sorry *** to the edge, start mashing up and towards the stage from where you're getting spiked. I think you mash it with both sticks. So, if you're both moving left, drop the controller and start rolling it between up and right as fast as possible. If it works, you end up on the stage or something weird like that.

Chibilicious

Smash Cadet
ooooo oooo mai turn! :chuckle:
shuld i use dair for pummeling, or just use it for spiking?
i rly want to kno so i can see if my combos need fixing to do.

oh and would you like a taco right now? i would!

mith132

Smash Apprentice
hmm tomorrow is my first tourney, and i haven't played wolf in 2 months >_> . Any astounding breakthroughs over the course of that time?

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
^ Don't get grabbed. Or hit. Or anything like that.

Uhhhhhh... Jumpshine when you're not comfortable, and... space bair? Usmash OoS is good against MK, and if you space a bair badly on Olimar's shield you can shine right after and it should counter his shieldgrab.

Good luck Mith!

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
sry uh i wuz hyped up on coffee. i couldnt think straight.
i meant using dair for normal combos :p
the tacos WANT AN ANSWER
It's freaky how much you remind me of myself before I became old and jaded with life :p

Dair DOES combo, but it's tough. You need to have the dair come out RIGHT before you land, and have the opponent remain grounded. It works best around the low 30% mark. Not the most practical thing though, hard to pull off, as I said.

And coffe is bad for you. Drink Mountain Dew instead, I swear it has more caffeine lol

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Hi all. Just visiting with a present for everybody. Hi mitsurugi if you see this! Man... I needa visit this place some more... i play with Wolf many times too.

Anywayz, cutting to the chase:

I was wondering if you guys could make use of this new AT with pikachu? I'm teaming with my bro (arc-thefallen-, plays TL and falco) and am going to advance the technique. Here's the original post AND video! ^_^ enjoy!

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8104088&postcount=14

Cool thing about this move is that it allows a INSTANTANEOUS NON-FASTFALLED d-air right in the middle of it. Works for those with laggy (but epic) spike-moves with high fastfall risk.

mith132

Smash Apprentice
^ Don't get grabbed. Or hit. Or anything like that.

Uhhhhhh... Jumpshine when you're not comfortable, and... space bair? Usmash OoS is good against MK, and if you space a bair badly on Olimar's shield you can shine right after and it should counter his shieldgrab.

Good luck Mith!

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Guys, I'm having trouble.

I played one of my friends that hasn't played Brawl in a while. I three stock him now, but when he uses Lucario, I have a hard time.

I know this is more of a match-up thing, but I'm hoping for a little advice. I have trouble with getting over the range and the grabs. Our match basically consists of me getting grabbed.

So, I think, hey, let's just camp with blaster.

I honestly don't know how people get camped by someone, because honestly, just perfect shield it all, and if you can't perfect shield the projectile, you have some practice to do. With that said, he just moves forward through it all. I can't camp. I'm either really bad at it, or the person I'm playing is fearless.

SUM: I can't beat Lucario. Help me not get grabbed and denied.

tekkie

Smash Master
SUM: I can't beat Lucario. Help me not get grabbed and denied.
If Lucario's grabbing you, you're getting waaaaay too close. Also, he has weird vertical grab range. Watch out for that.

Other than that, bair in his face and make sure he isn't ready for an fsmash/ftilt. He's a bit like Marth. Once he does anything, punish him.

mith132

Smash Apprentice
hey guys. I just got back from my first tourney and I did better than I thought I would.I won afew rounds, but then lost in the upper bracket to t0mmy's rob, and progressed a bit further in losers until I lost to a lucario. So I have a few questions. The main reason I didnt go further (IMO), is that I didnt have enough knowledge about chaingrabs/ teching out of spikes (i didnt even know lucario had a chain grab thing until I played a lucario). Also I pretty much kept getting killed off the side of the stage with Rob's fair, and honestly had no idea how to tech out of falco's chain grab>spike. So if someone could tell me how I deal with these problems that would be great :D.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
._. This is bad, I don't know the Lucario matchup either lol. JJ usually says something about jumpshine ****, though. Bair outranges a lot of lucario's stuff as well, I think they get pissed when we start outranging them in the air.

For ROB's fair, in case you weren't before, be sure to save your second jump and DI up. That should help out. You can tech out of Falco's spike by SDI'ing into the stage with both sticks to hit the edge, but... I'm not too good at it, so maybe I'm wrong.

mith132

Smash Apprentice
._. This is bad, I don't know the Lucario matchup either lol. JJ usually says something about jumpshine ****, though. Bair outranges a lot of lucario's stuff as well, I think they get pissed when we start outranging them in the air.

For ROB's fair, in case you weren't before, be sure to save your second jump and DI up. That should help out. You can tech out of Falco's spike by SDI'ing into the stage with both sticks to hit the edge, but... I'm not too good at it, so maybe I'm wrong.

Yea I think you're right about outspacing lucario in the air, because against most lucarios I was ok when I spaced my bairs correctly. Thanks for the info about DIing out of Rob's fair and SDIing out of Falco's chain spike. I hadn't known those xD.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Yea I think you're right about outspacing lucario in the air, because against most lucarios I was ok when I spaced my bairs correctly. Thanks for the info about DIing out of Rob's fair and SDIing out of Falco's chain spike. I hadn't known those xD.
Actually it's qcdi for falco's cg spike. I kinda suck at qcdi and will continue to practice it because falco cg is stupid. The alternative to not getting cg spiked is platform camping (ban fd always). As long as I'm not under a lucario (dair) they get ***** in the air. Even sometimes if I'm under the wolf uair will hit but you still may recieve minor damage from the first part of the lucario dair. And rob isnt that bad a matchup anyway. If rob is in the air juggle him. He has a blind spot on his bottom.

mith132

Smash Apprentice
Actually it's qcdi for falco's cg spike. I kinda suck at qcdi and will continue to practice it because falco cg is stupid. The alternative to not getting cg spiked is platform camping (ban fd always). As long as I'm not under a lucario (dair) they get ***** in the air. Even sometimes if I'm under the wolf uair will hit but you still may recieve minor damage from the first part of the lucario dair. And rob isnt that bad a matchup anyway. If rob is in the air juggle him. He has a blind spot on his bottom.
qcdi is quarter circle DI right? Is the wolf vs Rob matchup really in favor of wolf? It seems to me that his fair outspaces wolf's bair (but its maybe cause im not spacing perfectly yet). The main reason I lost to rob is cause he kept on gimping me with fair (i only take solace in the fact that he was one of the best robs in the country). But I think what ishiey said above about saving the second jump and DIing out should help.

tekkie

Smash Master
qcdi is quarter circle DI right? Is the wolf vs Rob matchup really in favor of wolf? It seems to me that his fair outspaces wolf's bair (but its maybe cause im not spacing perfectly yet). The main reason I lost to rob is cause he kept on gimping me with fair (i only take solace in the fact that he was one of the best robs in the country). But I think what ishiey said above about saving the second jump and DIing out should help.
ROB is a super pain in the *** for Wolf. Ftilt outranges everything, his grab range is much much farther than Wolf's, messing up a punisher = free dsmash, and you're gonna get ***** if you leave the stage.

I think it comes down to missing an attack = **** me plz

GreyClover

Smash Apprentice
qcdi is quarter circle DI right?
Yes.

Is the wolf vs Rob matchup really in favor of wolf?
No.

It seems to me that his fair outspaces wolf's bair (but its maybe cause im not spacing perfectly yet).
Fair does outspace almost every move, don't even try to attack it. Shield & punish bad spacing.

You can tech out of Falco's spike by SDI'ing into the stage with both sticks to hit the edge, but... I'm not too good at it, so maybe I'm wrong.

This is easy to do when you get the timing right. In fact somethimes all you have to do is DI towards the ledge and you'll actually land onto the stage itself.

mith132

Smash Apprentice
ROB is a super pain in the *** for Wolf. Ftilt outranges everything, his grab range is much much farther than Wolf's, messing up a punisher = free dsmash, and you're gonna get ***** if you leave the stage.

I think it comes down to missing an attack = **** me plz
ok lol that's what I thought :0 . As for the qcDI on Falco's chain spike. So you don't need to do any sort of SDI?

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I didn't say the matchup was in wolf's favor. I think it is 50-50. I don't know what the matchup thread put as the matchup itself.

Edit: i checked the new MU put it as 55-45 rob's favor.

Fair does outspace almost every move, don't even try to attack it. Shield & punish bad spacing.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!. You don't want to be on the ground against rob. He is **** in the air. He is great on the ground. His fair may outspace alot, but from my rob experience I don't get why people think rob fair is so good. It isn't like gonna destroy wolf. Fair+Uair+Usmash. Get rob in the air. I'll go verse a rob and record to show a match I guess.

tekkie

Smash Master
I'll go verse a rob and record to show a match I guess.
Make sure they space dat shiat like a boss. Noob ROBs are fine because you can just throw on your awesome face and bair them all day, but if they know the matchup it gets ******** hard to hit them.

Does a shorthop go over his ftilt or does it have to be a full hop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom