• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

K 2

Smash Lord
Oh, I tried thata few days ago and it doesn't seem to work. Oh well, I'll try again.

K 2

Smash Lord
Ok. That's what my testing confirms. I've been trying to up directly OOS (since I've heard about upb oos is a good option for many characters), but I couldn't do it. I have to jump then cancel it into an up b or something in order to "up b oos"

JawKnee~

Smash Cadet
No. Your attack actually has to hurt the person for it to diminsh.
So it won't diminish if you hit stuff like Wario's Bike, Castle Siege Rock Statue Things, Corneria's Gun, Electroplankton Leaf Things, etc. ?

I have another question too, are there any uses for the other grabs other then D-Throw?

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
A lot of people like u-throw, but i don't see much use in it. They say it can be used to nair and uair juggle, but i've never done it.

Altho, i do want to see what g&w can do when he throws you against a wall

and from now, everytime someone asks a question on the g&w boards (what is g&w's worst matchup?) link it here, because it gets crowded with those questions. then just answer it here.

EDIT: I have a question. Is there a U-tilt guide anywhere on here? Because i'd like to know what damages its escapable at with certain characters. And if not, I could make one, but I don't think it'd deserve its own thread

EDIT2: Why don't we make a community video thread as well? That way, theres a place for 9 videos and combo vids. Obviously certain videos (like UTDZac's in another thread, with the yoshi) could be posted in here, just random g&w videos.

just a thought

K 2

Smash Lord
So it won't diminish if you hit stuff like Wario's Bike, Castle Siege Rock Statue Things, Corneria's Gun, Electroplankton Leaf Things, etc. ?

I have another question too, are there any uses for the other grabs other then D-Throw?
It WILL diminish if you hit destructable terrain, like the one's you mentioned, but otherwise, it has to hit the person for it to diminish.

You should always you dthrow...always

A lot of people like u-throw, but i don't see much use in it. They say it can be used to nair and uair juggle, but i've never done it.

Altho, i do want to see what g&w can do when he throws you against a wall

and from now, everytime someone asks a question on the g&w boards (what is g&w's worst matchup?) link it here, because it gets crowded with those questions. then just answer it here.

EDIT: I have a question. Is there a U-tilt guide anywhere on here? Because i'd like to know what damages its escapable at with certain characters. And if not, I could make one, but I don't think it'd deserve its own thread

EDIT2: Why don't we make a community video thread as well? That way, theres a place for 9 videos and combo vids. Obviously certain videos (like UTDZac's in another thread, with the yoshi) could be posted in here, just random g&w videos.

just a thought
THere is no utilt guide. A general rule is 2-3 utilts, less for floaty characters, more for fastfallers. Utilt -> nair is very sweet.

We have a community video thread. It's the ageold theater.

K 2

Smash Lord
Press R or L (Shield) right before you get face planted into the ground. Hold Right or left while you press shield to tech in different directions. A rough estimate of the timing to tech is right before the last circle above G&W's head disappears.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Good posts K2, except you are wrong about the always D-throwing thing.

U-throw is good, especially against characters that are easily punished in the air (snake etc.)

K 2

Smash Lord
What about stuff like Pikmen?

Or other projectiles that G&W can cancel with his attacks, (Fireball -> Jab) (Din's Fire -> Fair) etc.
I believe pikman will dimish moves. Cancelling out projectiles will also diminish moves. You shouldn't worry about your moves becoming stale as G&W. You bair and uair will keep all of your other moves fresh.

Good posts K2, except you are wrong about the always D-throwing thing.

U-throw is good, especially against characters that are easily punished in the air (snake etc.)
I might start incorperating uthrow into my game against characters that have sucky dairs (marth, anyone)?

cutter

Smash Champion
The worse a character's aerial mobility is, the better Uthrow becomes. It's great on characters like DDD but not so great against characters like Wario.

K 2

Smash Lord
Marth and Snake have a hard time fighting in the air if your below them. Uair is a good option for them since they can buffer a roll to escape the dthrow too.

WELZ?

Smash Rookie
Ok, I made a thread before I saw this, so I might as well as post it here and see if I can get answers:

Alright, I'm pretty new to GAW and I have a couple of questions. Before I get into it, I have checked the forums and studied all the guides people have like a book. I love GAW because he's simply hilarious and I love his air-game.

Question I have is what to do in battle. I don't wanna come up to people with the obvious things and how should I approach an enemy because most people already know that GAW is about being in the air, and turtling too much would leave me out in the open and people would easily catch on to what I'll do next. I know that nair and bairs are good but what about ground game? Can people give me tips on what to do to keep my mix-up game tight and not obvious?

DarkCond0

Smash Rookie
Question I have is what to do in battle. I don't wanna come up to people with the obvious things and how should I approach an enemy because most people already know that GAW is about being in the air, and turtling too much would leave me out in the open and people would easily catch on to what I'll do next. I know that nair and bairs are good but what about ground game? Can people give me tips on what to do to keep my mix-up game tight and not obvious?
It's difficult for most players to punish turtle if you space it well. Usually it's d-tilt on ground, bair and nair in the air. Not sure what to tell you about making your game not obvious, other than mix it up.. empty short hops, short hop dair, whatever the situation might call for

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
unexpected u-tilt can set up well for some aerial combos. ground game = charge smashes after much spam. it works. don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. i do it. NoJ does it. it works.

Back air is very hard for your opponent to punish, unless they have a projectile.

be unexpected. watch other g&w'ers. spam.

DaiAndOh

Smash Ace
I have what I feel is really is a simple question and answer...

Would you guys seem to classify Game and Watch as an offensive or defensive character? It seems like the Turtle is a defensive retreating pressure ordeal, but some of my friends say he's really an offensive character?

Please no answer that says both unless he really is though :laugh:

K 2

Smash Lord
Brawl is a defensive game. With that in mind, most characters have to play defensively, since few "combos" exist. If you attempt a combo that doesn't work, you will often get smacked in the face. It's a really hard question to answer. It depends a lot on your play style, stage, and opposing character.

If you play a character that excels at punishing your whiffed attacks (snake's ftilt, MK's dsmash), you should probably play defensive. If you are on a small stage, you should probably play offensively and keep the pressure on your opponent all the time, forcing him to make a mistake. When playing projectile campers (energy based projectiles), I play campy and defensive, forcing my opponent to approach. My playstyle is agressive, yet cautious. I tend to put the pressure on my opponent at the very beginning with bair. However, I space my bair so that even if I miss, I won't be punished as badly for it.

Generally, I think G&W is a defensive character, but you can play him offensively as well.

K 2

Smash Lord
I usually keep it off, mainly because I use many characters and some of them perform better with tap jump off.

I have a few questions about tap jump.

How do you utilt with tap jump on?

How do you move your shield up (when MK whorenado's you) without jumping out of shield with tap jump on?

Neb

Smash Lord
I usually keep it off, mainly because I use many characters and some of them perform better with tap jump off.

I have a few questions about tap jump.

How do you utilt with tap jump on?

How do you move your shield up (when MK whorenado's you) without jumping out of shield with tap jump on?
1). To utilt with it on, you have to lean the analog up gently, it should be just below the mid-point.
2). To adjust the angle on shield, you tilt very lightly in the said direction.

S'all there is to it.

K 2

Smash Lord
I might go back and attempt to learn how to play with tap jump on. I never mastered utilts in melee (I sucked at melee) so I just use usmash all the time...that really hurt my game.

LordMars

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm kinda new to GaW, you gave him a 7/3 against Falco, but I kinda got some problems with Falco, how shall I fight him?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Crouching is unusually effective against Falco since it makes Mr. Game & Watch able to avoid the Reflector entirely and the Blaster unless Falco does it out of a jump VERY low to the ground (which will require almost all Falco players to focus specifically on doing it). You can also whip out the bucket just by tapping "B" while crouching which pretty much means that smart crouching is an effective way to force Falco to bring the fight to your face. Mr. Game & Watch gets out of Falco's chainthrow at around 30% with up special; Falco's chainthrow is mostly ineffective on him because of it. It will also safely plow through Falco's down aerial so you don't have to worry about Falco ever gimping you with that. Well spaced turtles are going to be a real pain for Falco in general, and if you can forward aerial Falco over the ledge, he's just about for sure dead because of his poor recovery. Also, this won't help against good Falco players, but bad Falcos who don't tech the down throw are absolutely forced to eat a down smash every time which is just lovely. Also, nothing Falco has beats out the key so if he tries to do aerial follow ups on you, you know what to do.

In short:

Mr. Game & Watch's low crouch + bucket negate Falco's long range game.
On the stage, the turtle and the key with smart use and good spacing are going to generally beat out Falco's stuff.
Up special mostly negates Falco's chainthrow and meteor.
Off the stage, forward aerial gives low kills.

I wouldn't say the matchup is as bad as 7-3, but Mr. Game & Watch definitely has a clear advantage in this matchup.

pockyD

Smash Legend
thing is, things like 'how do you fight falco?' don't belong in here; they belong in their own threads with drawn out discussion, not the expectation of a 'simple answer' =\

LordMars

Smash Rookie
A simple answer sometimes helps more than a fight on how the match-up is etc. At least his advice helped me some to fight better against falco now.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
thing is, things like 'how do you fight falco?' don't belong in here; they belong in their own threads with drawn out discussion, not the expectation of a 'simple answer' =\
thats not true. in fact, there are many threads on such matchups, and should actually best be answered in the character matchup thread. Otherwise, such questions deserve as place in here.

This also sort've acts as a controlling thread. I'm sure, somewhere here in the g&w board, lies a thread that asks the same question he just did. It might've even been full of out-of-date answers. Its best to ask here, where he'll get a straight forward answer, instead of creating 35 posts on "why is g&w better/worse then ____?"

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Alrighty GWs, here's one. Would any of you agree on this?:

:gw: Game & Watch
Best: Rainbow Cruise, Corneria
Worst: Jungle Japes
It's for this thread, discussing each character's 3 best and worst stages.

If no, suggestions?

Neb

Smash Lord
I agree with Jungle Japes, but its not as bad as some people
make it seem. Its probably the worst stage for him in the allowed
maps, with Pirate Ship trailing close behind.

So, I agree.

But anyway, Corneria is not all that great in the since
of actual stage components (ex- platforms). Its basically just good for
Oil Panic, and camping at the fin. I'd pick Green Greens over it in
most cases.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I agree with Jungle Japes, but its not as bad as some people
make it seem. Its probably the worst stage for him in the allowed
maps, with Pirate Ship trailing close behind.

So, I agree.

But anyway, Corneria is not all that great in the since
of actual stage components (ex- platforms). Its basically just good for
Oil Panic, and camping at the fin. I'd pick Green Greens over it in
most cases.
I disagree :). Killing someone at 50% with Fsmash and then killing them at 0% the next stock with Oil panic and then Dtilt locking them on the fin 0-death is too good :).

Top Bottom