• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yes you have enough time to smash. I just generally use another hammer because when you are this far you might as well go for it.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
The Hammer is almost worthless. Unless you get 9 it's most of the time a really really big risk for a meh reward.
I'd have to disagree. 3's and 2's can lead into grabs, 6's semi spike at a pretty bad angle which is amazing if you get it when hitting snake out of cypher, but also good vs pretty much every character (spacies also get ruined by it), and 8's give a guaranteed follow-up. It's only a big risk if you're stupid about it.

EDIT: I've been wondering if you could 8 into foot stool into weak hit fair reset to charged smash/anything.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Would you try to use a slow move that is incredibly risky and unsafe just to combo into a grab?
All of those hammers not 8 or 9 are just something that stops you from getting your *** kicked but something like 6 is a waste really.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Would you try to use a slow move that is incredibly risky and unsafe just to combo into a grab?
All of those hammers not 8 or 9 are just something that stops you from getting your *** kicked but something like 6 is a waste really.
You're looking at it as all those numbers just suck, but Alph is looking at those numbers being ways to avoid punishment.

If you land a hammer and get a 2 for example, it wasn't really a waste, you did a little damage, didn't get punished, and it possibly put you in a postive situation

If you look at side-b as "Everything except 9 sucks" then yeah it sucks, but that's not true or the proper way to look at it.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
For the effort of landing a 2 you could have instead used an fsmash or any other move in its place. The only number really worth the trouble is 9. All others are just little rewards that would have been much greater if you hadn't relied on luck and instead fsmashes.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Fsmash at low percent's isn't THAT much more worth it. Considering the possibilities of a properly used side-b.

Oh no, I did 10% or whatever more damage percentage when they were at 13% as opposed to whatever the heck a side-b could've given me, as well as possible psychological advantage.

An aspect of this game is balancing risk and reward and we use one of the most high risk high reward characters in the game so maybe Gdubs just isn't for you. If you wanna play it safe stick to whatever other character you use because you're not gonna win consistently with this character without taking a lot of risk, and making a lot of guesses tbh

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Watch people like Vinnie, they aren't using hammer much and for a reason. You either get a 9 or you wasted an opportunity. The point here is the potential punish you wasted.

Sar

Smash Journeyman
Watch people like Vinnie, they aren't using hammer much and for a reason. You either get a 9 or you wasted an opportunity. The point here is the potential punish you wasted.
As much as I do agree with you, the video I linked earlier in this discussion was one of the only times i've seen vinnie use hammer in singles, and it helped him win a great comeback on a neutral stage against ally's snake =P

Hammer certainly isn't a *great* option, but it's not as bad/"high risk" as you make it out to be.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
You have a 14% chance to hit a 9 every time you use hammer, that's pretty much 14% chance to take a stock. On average how much damage do you think you would take on a completely whiffed sideB? How much damage on average do you think you could do with an option different than sideB? When it comes to sideB you gotta roughly calculate your "pot odds" (I use this poker term cause it loosely relates here). Also remember sideB isn't really comparable to fsmash cause you can use sideB in the air meaning the opportunities to use it increase a lot.

Say for example your opponent is at like 30%, you're in the air and you feel that if you cross up your opponent they're gonna spot dodge. What option makes it more worth it than a 14% chance to kill them? EDIT: Not to mention a 57% chance to have the hammer give you guaranteed followups off of it.

EDIT: DuelerX for best GaW http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CPWrbiZWE-I#t=560s

LinkinHand

Smash Apprentice
that was stupit by dueler just use f smash no offense but i think THAT is pretty arrogant
but i think i only says this because "GoldenIke" is my Crew-Member

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Can you be more random than Dueler? I can definitively say you cant. He got an awesome style. Not effective against everyone, but it's fun to watch.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Dueler's playstyle just reminds me of my own.

But probably not, because he actually wins, unlike me.

Edit: Actually nah, I guess not. I'm not that random I just do stupid **** for no reason.

Sar

Smash Journeyman
Your thoughts on bucketing and the right times/characters to fill it with?

Should it always be saved as a guaranteed punish or are there other setups that generally work every time?

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
I look at the screen and at first it is like "wtf is dueler doing" but then you look past the random **** like upair he throws out for no reason and it's just good spacing and mixups.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Your thoughts on bucketing and the right times/characters to fill it with?

Should it always be saved as a guaranteed punish or are there other setups that generally work every time?
Don't ever unleash the power of the lost and damnee souls from the bucket unless the opponent whiffs or hits your shield with a laggy move or after a dthrow. I suggest Dthrow. You can just react to whatever they do and the game's yours. Don't try to predict, just watch as they roll, turn around if needed and unleash and it will work. If they decide to getup attack, do it OoS or regrab, but I think you should be able to unleash on reaction if they don't tech.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
I found last weekend it will go through pika thunderbolts, but has the most ******** lag its funny.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I've been doing some extreme boredom+sleep deprivation theorycrafting, so I might be completely wrong and sound like a total idiot. But I might not, so lets go.

If we perfectly space a fair on shield and then UpB diagonally towards them, would we have done enough shield damage for a bair to poke them from behind? And would that even be able to be done without getting grabbed or hit out of the fair?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
They can still do something about the bair. I wouldn't rely on such tactics. And how are you going to perfectly space a fair on shield and upB? Assuming you spaced well you won't be able to upB and it won't even make sense as fastfalling is way safer.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
You could full hop fair, drift past them and then bair as you fall down, but they have a lot of time after the fair hits their shield.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
If they do the first hit only you can shieldgrab if it's badly spaced. You have only 6 frames to do so, assuming they go for the 2nd hit as soon as possible. But if they only use the first hit there is a lot more time so you should be able to nair or dtilt.

Top Bottom