• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Usmash/Dsmash are my favorite options, I think you could also throw out a bair/nair/fair, and maybe a dash attack, but I could be wrong about this.

Lightning Tiger

Smash Apprentice
for G&W's bucket, what's the best way to stop or slow down lag time?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=168077

Bucket Canceling:
No, as far as I know there isnt any universal technique on how to cut the lag time of the bucket to just the invincibility frames. To my knowledge there are only two situations where canceling the lag of absorbing a projectile is possible.

The first is Spring Canceling. As you already know, G&W's bucket cancels out his momentum, like many other moves in the game, and this can be abused on a spring. The spring cancels your move immediately and sends you straight up. The bucket will stop this rising motion, and you can use the bucket repeatedly on the spring. The spring will also cancel the lag of absorbing a projectile, as I've found out. The problem is, the only stages that come to mind with Springs are Pictochat, which is usually legal, and Flatzone 2, which is banned. You can also use Sonic's Spring in a 2v2 environment, but this form of canceling is very situational.- Mr. Escalator

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
=/

was all the stuff i posted up there already well-known? not that i'm craving attention -- i think it's pretty useful stuff 4 the gaw community, but i wasn't sure if i should make a thread or not.

Noa.

Smash Master
Well, I didn't know it, and I've been practicing it a lot in training. I haven't been able to test it out against any opponents lately, but by Friday I might be able to. I find it interesting and it feels like I can approach with smashes, a deadly mixup for bair.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Hey guys.
I'm posting here for advice against G&W, kinda strange, but you guys probably know best.

I play falco and occasionally get to play kaak, a G&W regular here it seems, and I just can't seem to win, mainly because I can't find an exploitable weakness.

He puts so much pressure on me that I can't regain match control with lasers or anything else for that matter, he outspaces me with bairs to which I can't really retaliate and last but not least gimps my every recovery.

So is there any weakness I can exploit? Any way to keep the upper hand in the match? Any thing I can practice to twist my chances for the better?

Looking forward to a response =)

Lightning Tiger

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys.
I'm posting here for advice against G&W, kinda strange, but you guys probably know best.

I play falco and occasionally get to play kaak, a G&W regular here it seems, and I just can't seem to win, mainly because I can't find an exploitable weakness.

He puts so much pressure on me that I can't regain match control with lasers or anything else for that matter, he outspaces me with bairs to which I can't really retaliate and last but not least gimps my every recovery.

So is there any weakness I can exploit? Any way to keep the upper hand in the match? Any thing I can practice to twist my chances for the better?

Looking forward to a response =)
well i play against my friend who mains falco
and he usualy grabs and follows up with dash attack or sliding up smash.
basically exploit GaW's roll

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
Hey there, an experienced Kirby main here looking to 2nd GnW for a little variety...

Can anyone point me to a good start or some tips to begin? Note, I am starting totally from scratch w/ GnW, i've never really used him seriously before...

Thx for the help!

IxxI

Smash Fence
Hai guys.
Today I played with GW, he's quiteee fun.
I've read all of the stickies and most of the major guides.
I'm wondering if there are techniques or followups from moves that are common with GW players, something that isn't mentioned in stickies as they haven't been updated in a while.

So are there anything like that? RoflWafflez had a similar question too.

IxxI

Smash Fence
Just stick to what you were doing.

Bair Bair Bair Bair Bair Bair Bair Bair Bair Bair Bair Bair Bair Bair Nair Bair Bair Nair Fair (KO)

(I like to Dthrow > read tech > Usmash)
OMG. I feel like your stalking me in every thread. XD

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Hey there, an experienced Kirby main here looking to 2nd GnW for a little variety...

Can anyone point me to a good start or some tips to begin? Note, I am starting totally from scratch w/ GnW, i've never really used him seriously before...

Thx for the help!
Hai guys.
I'm wondering if there are techniques or followups from moves that are common with GW players, something that isn't mentioned in stickies as they haven't been updated in a while.

Did you guys look at Bucket Braking?

TKO

Smash Rookie
What is that? I haven't seen it.
are you asking what bucket braking is? well if you are here's a decent video that explains it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuXBIYnMuTE

bucket braking is G&W's ability to cancel his momentum, its pretty ridiculous how awesome it is. basically, you cancel your momentum first by using your fastest aerial (nair for g&w), then fast fall, reducing your horizontal speed, and finally whipping out the trusty bucket, which cancels all momentum entirely (SO DIRTY). its not hard to pull off, and once you get the hang of it you can stay alive a lot longer and maximize each stock. also, even if a smash isnt going to kill you, cancelling your momentum with a nair can help you get back to the stage faster and get back into position before your opponent can edgeguard you.

this is probably the best DI guide there is...

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=221969&highlight=hitstun+hitlag+momentum

this helped me a lot when i was trying to figure out bucket braking and momentum cancelling in general. it also clears up basically every question you could possibly have about DI and all of its variations.

hopefully you were asking about bucket braking lol, so if you were, there it is. enjoy the power of the bucket

EDIT: IxxI (and RoflWafflez) i can post some helpful links on G&W techniques for you if some other people dont get to it first, but im goin to bed right now. im getting my wisdom teeth out tomorrow so ill be chillin on my computer for a few days while i recover and ill see if i can put somethin together. good luck with g&w, hes a lotta fun

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
That'd be cool TKO, thx alot. Its pretty hard to start a new character from knowing basically nothing except that the turtle *****. >_<

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Hai guys.

Full hopped bair or fair to nair works well, as the nair has little landing lag, and pops them up for a smash. If you land on shield, up-b away or jab at it.

mafain

Smash Rookie
I have a question.

I read somewhere that G&W's chef. if "buffered" will spit out 5 foods, how exactly do you "buffer" his neutral B Chef.

Thanks

TKO

Smash Rookie
I have a question.

I read somewhere that G&W's chef. if "buffered" will spit out 5 foods, how exactly do you "buffer" his neutral B Chef.

Thanks
buffering chef is NOT something you want to do. i think you are misunderstanding because i thought the same thing when i first read that. buffered chef does NOT shoot 5 foods simultaneously, g&w just gets stuck in chef until all 5 foods are flung. very annoying.

buffering is inputting an action before the move you are currently performing is over so that your 2nd input comes out on the first frame possible. with chef, say you do an airdodge and input neutral b right before the dodge animation ends, then you have buffered chef and will be stuck in it until you spit out all 5 foods. although this is kind of a bad thing, buffering is usually a good thing because it makes you faster, like buffering a tilt during an aerial so that when you land you aerial you can cover yourself with a tilt.

Cyan_

Smash Lord
Press down on the control stick right after you do dair.

jump in air -> down + A -> down

TKO

Smash Rookie
or what i like to do, down on c-stick to dair, then down on control stick, then you dont have to double tap the control stick

TKO

Smash Rookie
That'd be cool TKO, thx alot. Its pretty hard to start a new character from knowing basically nothing except that the turtle *****. >_<
alright i was little out of it yesterday from my wisdom teeth operation, vicodin turns my brain into jello. i plan on possibly making an Intro to G&W thread and explain all the important techs, etc., but as for now ill just brainstorm some things that you can do your own research on or start practicing now, if i can find some good links ill post them.....lets seeee.

Da Basics:
~~you know that turtle=domination, but learn to space it well so that you wont be punished if your opponent shields it. basically, just pull away a little after the first hitbox connects with the shield, or, even if your opponent doesnt shield, its smart to try to use the tip of the turtle to keep your spacing. God-is-my-rock uses bair pretty well, watch this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl4asvSS9M0&feature=PlayList&p=19D59D278B3EB3EC&index=1

~~g&w's roll is teh badness, learn not to use it, instead, escape bad situations with up-b. god-is-my-rock does that pretty well also, go back and watch again.

~~your opponent will know that youre looking to **** him with bair, incorporate some empty circle jumps (just short hop like your going to approach with bair, and then just float back to where you took off). using this well can throw off your opponents timing but mainly it will show you how he will probably react to your bair approach, allowing you to adjust how you want to approach.

~~d-tilt has awesome range and speed, use it to stop opponents who approach quickly on the ground. i like to duck the spacies lazers until they try to dash in for a quick hit, then i whip out the d-tilt's nasty range on them. also, d-tilt is a great follow up to a jab combo, hit with 3-5 jabs then throw out d-tilt for extra damage and also some knockback.

~~key stomping: if youre on a platform and your opponent is below you, you can hit them with dair through the platform by tapping down on the control stick, as to fall through the platform, and immediately do a dair. you will remain on the platform and poke them with key through the floor. quite nice. you can do this repeatedly.

~~not "true combos" but good chains of moves to combo:
nair, nair, up-b, nair (ideal situation, but nair nair isnt hard to do and racks up damage)
bair bair (obvious but it works)
jab combo, dtilt
nair, jab, grab

theres a lot more, thats all ive got for now, be creative, his aerials chain together well. jabs followed by grabs and dtilts, do them.

~~U-air windboxes. if you didnt know, g&w's uair has windboxes that pushes your opponent higher into the air. ABUSE this, it can throw off their timing, make them waste an air-dodge leaving them open to attack. it can also ruin some characters recoveries, its possible to push DDD with uair during his up-b so that he misses the stage entirely if he doesnt cancel his up-b. its freaking hysterical.

~~a note on fair: fair has pretty bad landing lag, avoid using it too much on the ground or youll be punished. its possible to space it well and get away with it, but its safer to save your fair for KOs. edgeguard and KO with fair.

i might as well start writing my intro to g&w thread, this post is gettin a lil lengthy lol. hope it helps.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
This post was in the Video critique thread.

If you want to record vids by yourself instead of sending them to someone else (which can be a huge pain because of how Nintendo set it up), buy a capture card and get some cables to go with it.
I'm a new Game & Watch user, and I was wondering how you guys got things recorded.

I don't know anyone. There is locally no one who plays the game (who says anything about it on the intarwebz).

This post suggests that I can't ask one of you guys on the GaW boards to record a vid for me.

The question is, can someone here record replays?

TKO

Smash Rookie
PK-ow, someone might do it for you, cutter was just saying that its a hassle to send them to someone else it do it, that doesn't totally rule out that someone might do it for you, just ask around some threads. i wish i could record too :( and i dont have the dough to go buy equipment

TKO

Smash Rookie
I saw UTD slowing the speed of his Dair, how does he do this?
this was asked just a few days ago on this thread, ill just quote the responses

Press down on the control stick right after you do dair.

jump in air -> down + A -> down
or what i like to do, down on c-stick to dair, then down on control stick, then you dont have to double tap the control stick

NARUTOG

Smash Cadet
can someone give me advice the best way to land judgement because its easy to see coming and hard to land

lou4222

Smash Lord
can someone give me advice the best way to land judgement because its easy to see coming and hard to land
Just punish lag. I know this ma sound obvious, but like you said its not easy to land. If your opponent makes a mistake and uses a really laggy move punish them with hammer and maybe it will be a 9.

Another way is to read your opponent. If you are playing someone that has a lot of patterns it may be easy to read them and predict what they are going to do. If you are able to realize these patterns and anticipate them than it might be applicable to throw a judgment.

UTD may have more advice on this though, because he is the king of judgments.

TKO

Smash Rookie
one method is to tech chase a down throw with judgment. after a down throw you basically try to predict which way your opponent will roll to get up, and you should be able to hit them as soon as they get up. it takes a little practice to get the timing, location, and guesswork down to tech chase well, but that is one way of landing judgment.

btw, on your first down throw you might just wanna shield while he gets up, becuase if he gets up with an attack, you can shield grab him and start the tech chase over. after doing this once, they probably wont get up with an attack again because they know youll just shield grab it, so thats when you can start trying to chase with judgment. at least thats what i do...

TKO

Smash Rookie
I techchased for a 9 on a ZSS on the losers semifinal it was the sexiest thing ive done in ma life
lol, EPIC. someone out there has a G&W montage and theres like a 30 second section of him tech chasing > 9, its glorious. im actually gonna look for that right now, ill post it if i find it...

EDIT: found it, but i guess i was exaggerating when i said 30 seconds lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZQXNaPsCWg

from about 0:55 to 1:10

this may or may not have been the video i was looking for but that one section is still a good part to watch to learn how to do it

rason110290

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I am by no means new to the forum itself, but its like my 3rd post in a few years. I lurk the boards on occasion but I haven't seen is why some GaWs do a Up-b to Dair Repeatedly? Is there a technical reason to why they do it?

Top Bottom