• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
It's the same concept as RARing a bair. While you're running a direction, flick the control stick in the opposite direction to start a running pivot, then quickly input a jump so that you keep your dash's momentum but are facing backwards. After that just input a down-air. This seems like a good option to punish people who usually try to spot dodge behind you while you're RARing bairs at them back and forth. Thanks for the idea =D.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Other people need you!

DarkWarCloud has opened up the Training Grounds. What this is is a place for new players to learn who plays what characters all in a simple thread so that they can contact said person to "teach" them the basics. As of right now, we only have a handful of "teachers" for a few characters and we need more! This is where you come in. Anyone who is skilled with your characters (any character) and has the free time to teach someone how to either: Teach the basics of the game in general and/or teach specific character(s), go in the thread and either post or PM DarkWarCloud with your information (Format is in the thread) where you may possibly be contacted by someone who wants to learn. The future of smash lies in your hands.

On the other hand, if you wish to learn, go to the thread also!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=241698

Publix

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z7EpNe_qkI&NR=1

Hylian does a kinda sliding dtilt around 2:36. I think it's because of the slant. How do we do that? I also did a sliding dtilt right out of landing i think maybe it's a property of our Dtilt. But yeah how do you perform the sliding dtilt like it was done on the video?

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
double post, but entirely different topic.

one of my late night ponders before i doze off...

what happens if G&W, while bucket braking, gets his bucket filled as he whips out the bucket?

Motel Vacaville of the West

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOR!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
double post, but entirely different topic.

one of my late night ponders before i doze off...

what happens if G&W, while bucket braking, gets his bucket filled as he whips out the bucket?
I really want to say G&W doesn't stop his momentum, and keeps moving.

Back when Brawl first came out and I was a G&W scrub, I use to Bucket in the air a lot. I would just simply fall down at the same rate as I would if I was jumping.

But wouldn't releasing your Bucket to save your stock be a waste anyway? I could see if it was your last one, but if it's your second, third, or whatever, it would make more sense to me if I came back while invincible to release my load then.

QueWhatHuh

Smash Cadet
can someone find me the link to the video where its a deminstration of gw using his upb while mk does upthrow to get the hitbox up in the air for easy KO off the top plz ;]

_Tiamat_

Smash Apprentice
Hello this is my first post on the G&W board and I know near nothing about him lol so if this is old sorry, anyway...

I was playing random character vs random cpu for fun and was paired me(Ice Climbers) vs lvl 7 cup (G&W), everything was going normaly until about 1:30 minutes into the match, I tried to ftilt G&W and he fsmashed around the same time but my hammer went RIGHT through him, like, not short from hitting, he didn't outpriorize me either, the hammer just passed right through his body around the startup frames of his fsmash and then he hit me with it during my ending lag.

Question: Does G&W have invincibility frames on fsmash startup?

(I have the replay, if anyone is interested just ask in PM)

_Tiamat_

Smash Apprentice
I don't have any ways to youtube this though, so the only way I have to show it is to send by Wii code (I'd like to just cut the invinsibility part since now you'd have to watch my noob IC for like 1 minute lol)

Neb

Smash Lord
I also have recording equipment, so you could send it to me. I can also have it run frame-by-frame so we can look at it more closely.

_Tiamat_

Smash Apprentice
Alright I'll send it to you, I mean I'm really not a Brawl pro so I hope I'm not wasting everyone's time with something that you G&W mains know about, but to me it's some seriously weird ****.

I'll PM you so we can exchange info, thanks for taking the time to look at it

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Simple. He stops moving.

G&W's bukit stops all momentum on frame 1.
G&W's bukit begins absorbing energy projectiles on frame 6.

Therefore it is impossible to fill up the bukit as he "whips it out."

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
I also have recording equipment, so you could send it to me. I can also have it run frame-by-frame so we can look at it more closely.
Alright I'll send it to you, I mean I'm really not a Brawl pro so I hope I'm not wasting everyone's time with something that you G&W mains know about, but to me it's some seriously weird ****.

I'll PM you so we can exchange info, thanks for taking the time to look at it
any word on this? i'm really interested.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Don't dair unless it'll him the opponent in the air. Otherwise, like kaak said, up-b, grab, my friend can even space the sweetspot f-smash sometimes when he feels like going for it. (stupid thing even sweetspots above his head)

Publix

Smash Apprentice
I just had a thought. Has anyone tried to slow fall a Dair on a shielding person at a distance to were it will end right when it touches their shield giving you time to jump or upb away? Sounds like it would work. Has anyone done this succesfully?

And CHeaya Neb! What's the news on our invibility forward smash frames?

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
I just had a thought. Has anyone tried to slow fall a Dair on a shielding person at a distance to were it will end right when it touches their shield giving you time to jump or upb away? Sounds like it would work. Has anyone done this succesfully?

if it ended as you touched their shield, its likely they could grab you. Besides, a slow falled dair would give them time to shield, so it wouldn't get anything done but put you in a potentially punishable situation.

Neb

Smash Lord
any word on this? i'm really interested.
Oh wow, sorry, I didn't see your posts guys. Anyway, me and Tiamat had a small problem sending the replay, but I think everything's okay now, he just hasn't been on lately (Last Activity: 07-29-2009) to try again. But I did send him a PM and also a letter to his Wii, I'm not sure he's a very active member.

Neb

Smash Lord
Good luck shieldgrabbing well spaced fairs. No, you can't.
G&W can effect Marth's spacing when he shield dashes, how efficiently he punishes comes down to the way the fair/nair was performed (ie. retreating, ff, sh, fh, etc). Shield camping isn't his only option though. If Marth goes airborne, G&W gains the advantage. At parallel, bair and dtilt (to a lesser extent, fsmash and upb) beats everything he has when used at optimal range.

G&W has more options not approaching Marth (though he can, hindered), he has a projectile, no matter how faulty at times, it can at least be used sparingly to harass him on the ground and get im' in the air.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
G&W can effect Marth's spacing when he shield dashes, how efficiently he punishes comes down to the way the fair/nair was performed (ie. retreating, ff, sh, fh, etc). Shield camping isn't his only option though. If Marth goes airborne, G&W gains the advantage. At parallel, bair and dtilt (to a lesser extent, fsmash and upb) beats everything he has when used at optimal range.

G&W has more options not approaching Marth (though he can, hindered), he has a projectile, no matter how faulty at times, it can at least be used sparingly to harass him on the ground and get im' in the air.
While Marth indeed does pull the advantage on the ground, he's also faster and more flexible in the air. If you take your time shielding you will not get the time to perfectly space your bairs. Marth eats you on your diagonal blindspots, which are easily hit when coming from the directions Marth is usually comfortable in coming at you.

Fullhopping forward airs is simply a bad thing to do against G&W in almost every situations, advancing forward airs can be shieldgrabbed, yes, but there is no reason to perform them. A fastfalled tipper fair on shield is extremely safe for Marth on G&W, double tipper fair translates to omgwtf shieldpressure and is not something any decent G&W would like to deal with.

Honestly, this one line:
Shield camping isn't his only option though.
Is flawed in almost every way possible, shield camping sucks against Marth, and cannot possibly be considered an option. The only thing right about this statement is that it refers to the fact G&W has other (better) options.

Neb

Smash Lord
While Marth indeed does pull the advantage on the ground, he's also faster and more flexible in the air. If you take your time shielding you will not get the time to perfectly space your bairs. Marth eats you on your diagonal blindspots, which are easily hit when coming from the directions Marth is usually comfortable in coming at you.

Fullhopping forward airs is simply a bad thing to do against G&W in almost every situations, advancing forward airs can be shieldgrabbed, yes, but there is no reason to perform them. A fastfalled tipper fair on shield is extremely safe for Marth on G&W, double tipper fair translates to omgwtf shieldpressure and is not something any decent G&W would like to deal with.
I'm not completely sure what you meant in your first two sentences, are you saying G&W needs to shield to use his bair? And by flexibility do you mean options, or acrobatics?

...Marth can only hit G&W from diagonals if -

1. He is already committing to an attack
2. He is above Marth​

This should sparsely occur since G&W is working from the ground or up to a sh/fh, being above Marth even slightly is a spacing error. On the ground and somewhat in the air, Game & Watch can deflect all of Marth's aerials. If he tries attacking diagonally, G&W can punish with upb, nair, uair, dtilt, fsmash.

And I'm not saying G&W can punish fair with his guard all the time, it depends on how the Marth performed it. So I'm agreeing with you on that part. But like I said in my last post, you can punish tipper ff fair with a shield dash since G&W is sliding into, and past Marth's sword.

Double tipper fair can be avoided -

1. Upb away, Upb into (risky)
2. Crouch the first fair > dtilt, jab, upb, crossup
3. Walking away (before or after the first hit)
4. Dtilt​

But Marth should rarely be able to crack, or even approach G&W aerially because he has the tools to shutdown his airgame in almost all situations.

Honestly, this one line:
Is flawed in almost every way possible, shield camping sucks against Marth, and cannot possibly be considered an option. The only thing right about this statement is that it refers to the fact G&W has other (better) options.
I was referring to what Motel said (about the shield being all G&W had against Marth) with that statement. Shield camping/approaching can work vs an aggressive Marth, or to enter his attacks to set-up juggles or whatever.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I'm not completely sure what you meant in your first two sentences, are you saying G&W needs to shield to use his bair? And by flexibility do you mean options, or acrobatics?

...Marth can only hit G&W from diagonals if -

1. He is already committing to an attack
2. He is above Marth​

This should sparsely occur since G&W is working from the ground or up to a sh/fh, being above Marth even slightly is a spacing error. On the ground and somewhat in the air, Game & Watch can deflect all of Marth's aerials. If he tries attacking diagonally, G&W can punish with upb, nair, uair, dtilt, fsmash.

And I'm not saying G&W can punish fair with his guard all the time, it depends on how the Marth performed it. So I'm agreeing with you on that part. But like I said in my last post, you can punish tipper ff fair with a shield dash since G&W is sliding into, and past Marth's sword.

Double tipper fair can be avoided -

1. Upb away, Upb into (risky)
2. Crouch the first fair > dtilt, jab, upb, crossup
3. Walking away (before or after the first hit)
4. Dtilt​

But Marth should rarely be able to crack, or even approach G&W aerially because he has the tools to shutdown his airgame in almost all situations.

I was referring to what Motel said (about the shield being all G&W had against Marth) with that statement. Shield camping/approaching can work vs an aggressive Marth, or to enter his attacks to set-up juggles or whatever.
I'm going to post the following videos so you can reconsider G&W's options while under pressure (by Marth) and leave it like that, I'm not getting the feeling this is going anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOug328y0Rk 1+2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yul0kP2IjHk 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Tyvat2xYc 4+5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r4qJ32wH7E 6+7

Neb

Smash Lord
I'm going to post the following videos so you can reconsider G&W's options while under pressure (by Marth) and leave it like that, I'm not getting the feeling this is going anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOug328y0Rk 1+2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yul0kP2IjHk 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Tyvat2xYc 4+5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r4qJ32wH7E 6+7
I'm not saying Marth can't pressure G&W period, just not as effectively with aerials. If you're trying to prove he can with those videos, I just really didn't see it (I watched 1-3). The only time I actually saw pressure from aerials was when Marth was going off a previous move he landed, and was chaining attacks. Otherwise no. And when kaak was doing things I talked about, keeping you away with dtilt, fsmash, bair, etc, you often didn't approach.

Btw, I'm not sure if that was tourney, I'm guessing it was a friendly so you guys probably weren't playing as mean. I play the match-up exceptionally gay; going only after openings and never challenging anything besides what I win against. I'll run away or to the ledge, upb, airdodge, staying just out of range, etc. This way Marth has to over exert himself to hit me and rack up damage, leaving him open, everything else is pot shots. On the other hand, kaak was more bold, he wasn't aggressive, but he did allow you to get inside him at times where I would simply evade.

So what I'm saying is, not only can G&W stop Marth from starting aerial pressure, he can also decide if he wants to bail.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I'm not saying Marth can't pressure G&W period, just not as effectively with aerials. If you're trying to prove he can with those videos, I just really didn't see it (I watched 1-3). The only time I actually saw pressure from aerials was when Marth was going off a previous move he landed, and was chaining attacks. Otherwise no. And when kaak was doing things I talked about, keeping you away with dtilt, fsmash, bair, etc, you often didn't approach.

Btw, I'm not sure if that was tourney, I'm guessing it was a friendly so you guys probably weren't playing as mean. I play the match-up exceptionally gay; going only after openings and never challenging anything besides what I win against. I'll run away or to the ledge, upb, airdodge, staying just out of range, etc. This way Marth has to over exert himself to hit me and rack up damage, leaving him open, everything else is pot shots. On the other hand, kaak was more bold, he wasn't aggressive, but he did allow you to get inside him at times where I would simply evade.

So what I'm saying is, not only can G&W stop Marth from starting aerial pressure, he can also decide if he wants to bail.
Oh dear why am I-, whatever.

The only things those vids had to show to you were G&W's options when pressured. Which are way more limited than you can, apparently, conceive. Marth's pressure game is much more present in his aerial game than in his ground game, since his ground game is actually punishable. We can't just go around spamming dtilt, dancing blade and ftilt without getting punished.

"going only after openings and never challenging anything besides what I win against."

That is kind of what this game is about.

"I'm guessing it was a friendly so you guys probably weren't playing as mean."

We always play mean.

edit:
Conclusion:
I'll leave this particular issue for what it is, I'm getting the feeling I'm wasting my time. Send me a PM if you really wish to continue this discussion and we'll do it over voice chat or text messenger, if else, nevermind.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Good luck shieldgrabbing well spaced fairs. No, you can't.
Powershield -> Dashgrab.

Not unreasonably hard to do if you know Marth's spacing.

G&W can pretty much diss Marth by just randomly throwing out F-airs. F-air comes out pretty fast, has comparable range to Marth's aerial game, has good shield pushback, and really hurts in general. F-air out of shield punishes almost ANYTHING Marth does on G&W's shield not named Dancing Blade. And then G&W has more advantages juggling Marth and is very good at hitting Marth out of his Up-B offstage.

Also, D-smash is approximately as disjointed as Marth's F-air, so if G&W can start up D-smash right between your F-air, it's gonna hurt.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
i can't stand watching those videos.

I'm going to upload some videos sometime of Dogma and I. Dogma is one of the better Marth's in MI (imo, the best) and he'll show everyone how Marth plays G&W.

Marth is a crazy hard match up, IF the Marth knows exactly what he's doing.

A2Z said it right, FAIR.

Top Bottom