• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Hey guys! I was wondering-- how do you become less predictable with Game and Watch? I know he's a predictable character, but I'm sure you can always change it up. I know it's about reading the opponent and see what happens next. I guess what I'm wondering are any tips or ideas? How about the bair when they are expecting the turtle? Or when in the air and they are expecting the key? Please and thank you!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
just powershield your way in. she's annoying with zaird and missles but once you get in, she has a pretty bad defense so you'll be able to follow up.
See, the thing is I really can't powershield her Z-air on reaction...

Her Up-B out of shield is mad gay too, not to mention her F-tilt which reaches really far.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
everything has pretty much been discussed about G&W already lol
nothing really to talk about anymore except for answering questions now and then from beginners
and there's nothing new that comes by..or even any possibilities for anything new for game and watch

i think ur vid about the uptilt footstool was the last one;/

there isn't any motivation for people to play G&W and some people here with their emo attitudes on how G&W is bad don't make it any better.

and to add on all that, we only have 1 active G&W pro xD

Plus, people don't have any reason to pick up G&W,(besides for doubles)
if people need a sidemain to counter bad match ups,there are better characters for that lol
and im guessing to most people,he's a pretty boring character=/.

Maining game and watch ONLY takes devotion, patience, and tolerance(a lot of it) ,kinda like low tiers.
It's hard.

That's why alot of top G&W mainers last year simply dropped him.
It got too hard for them and they moved on to a better character lol

wimps D:<

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
lol well i can't blame them. i've been picking up dedede lately, and so far, so good.

of course, i refuse to be tourney active this season (just handing your money over to M2K and Lain is kind of lame) so I haven't had any practice.

sovietzero

Smash Rookie
lol well i can't blame them. i've been picking up dedede lately, and so far, so good.

of course, i refuse to be tourney active this season (just handing your money over to M2K and Lain is kind of lame) so I haven't had any practice.
not a very good excuse to not go to tournies. I mean if you go to any tourny your gonna be handing your money over to someone. And I'd rather give my money to lain then m2k, even though the only way lain can get 1st if ally and m2k arent at lolis. Just go to tournies anyway, get your moneys worth do friendlies.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Hey guys! I was wondering-- how do you become less predictable with Game and Watch? I know he's a predictable character, but I'm sure you can always change it up. I know it's about reading the opponent and see what happens next. I guess what I'm wondering are any tips or ideas? How about the bair when they are expecting the turtle? Or when in the air and they are expecting the key? Please and thank you!
i think this was ignored
lol it's a difficult question to answer because everyone has their own way at approaching this
Mixing it up is all on how well you are at reading your own playstyle during a match.
A common issue among new G&W players is the predictable dair spam. If dair didn't work the first time, then it is time for a different approach. everything has to be fresh for every situation that occurs. Another example is edgeguarding or when you have your opponent offstage. Some G&W players might try to run off and go for a fair which may work the first time...or even the second time if you're opponent is dumb lol. Eventually running offstage, your opponent will be ready and it might get you killed instead lol. Go for other approaches,slow dair offstage then fair,nair offstage then try to go for an UP and B spike, lol even bacon could be used to pressure your opponent into another Fair kill. If you ever find yourself losing advantage in a match, really think about what you're doing and do the opposite of what you would have done.

I know that's what i do x_x
i think
"i woulda probably gone for a bair here and he'd shield but im going to run up and grab/dash attack him instead"
(my snake logic lol)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's a general question on how to stop being predictable. To summarize what Penta said, change up your movements, approaches, and at the same time, READ your opponent. When you are reading your opponent and countering his tactics, it's pressure on him to counter you back If you out read your opponent, you will become less predictable as you are quicker to adapting to the situation than your opponent.

Penta, you scrub, get back on the Ike boards.

Splice

Smash Hero
@Today : If you are in a position to use Dair, like you asked specifically, you could Slowfall it and mess around with the speed and hopefully make them mistime it. To slowfall just press down like you would fast fall other attacks, if you dont know.

And Bair, well... I don't really know, I guess if you are going to use it space it so only the tip hits, or you could even jump and not do an attack, and simply land a bit closer to the opponent, and punish them if they used a move in anticipation or something. Or you can jump over them and use Fair, but yeah....

Like the others have said, It's about reading the opponent, so whilst I just told you some mix ups, if you dont read your opponent well enough he will probably still get you.

not_corey

Smash Cadet
Once you jump backwards at your opponent they are ready for the Bair ...so mix it up. Watch how they react to what you are doing, that is how you will beat them. Do empty short hops at them and feel them out. Somethings I like to do are to jump in backwards and land in front of them and hit them with a quick Fsmash or do a dash grab. Also learn to auto cancel turtle, its really good for catching people off guard. A really stupid trick Ive used is to dash attack away from them and then Fsmash back at them when the try to punish it.

sovietzero

Smash Rookie
i spam the hell out of fair, although its not a good idea to do so. Keep that for gimping, or near ledges.
I wouldnt start ledge game with MK. His up b will out proioratize gnw fair. For ledge game I would space the ledge and just bair when hes already getting back on. or...just go mk.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
lol nope, i know better

quick question though, to anyone:
Those new custom stages or whatever, Abyss... hell idk their names. Are those actually used in most tournies?

someone should make a thread on them, or add 'em into the stage discussion thing, and talk about how well they work with G&W. (that is, if we even have one of those)

sovietzero

Smash Rookie
lol nope, i know better

Those new custom stages or whatever, Abyss... hell idk their names. Are those actually used in most tournies?

someone should make a thread on them, or add 'em into the stage discussion thing, and talk about how well they work with G&W. (that is, if we even have one of those)
I really doubt anyone is gonna take custom stages seriously, I really doubt michigan is going to anyway.

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
lol nope, i know better

Most of us in the midwest don't recognize OverSwarm as a smart enough person to use his moronic custom stages.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overswarm
That's a valid point, and something I wanted to test.

The Wii's stage creator is pretty easy to recreate with its grid format, and a lot of people have been hacking their wiis; this means many are familiar with SD cards and loading files to and from them.

Most of us have a digital camera, video camera, cell phone with SD cards, SD card reader, or the ability to wirelessly get on the internet with the Wii. This allows you to d/l the stage, as you can send them from one Wii to the other.

However, this doesn't really change how it goes at the tournament. I still have to load them from my SD card just to make sure there weren't any changes! I have specific music, names, etc., on mine and change them inbetween events so people know the difference and there is no accidental changes and/or malicious changes. I could forsee someone altering the stage to have a shorter left side and abusing it! I don't want that, so I take precautionary steps.

But I agree with that worry; if people can't practice, that's a bad thing. This doesn't mean if they refuse to d/l the stage that customs are bad, but if they can't get ACCESS that is a bad thing indeed.

I try to make custom stages easy to learn, but it is an issue that I'm researching throughout this circuit. The whole thing is an experiment!

No one will play on custom stages. Ever. You might as well stop trying because no one is going to spend money at a tournament to lose on a custom stage that maybe imbalanced. And the fact that you cant just set up and play but you have to make sure every wii has the stage without any changes to them already takes up a lot of time for T.O's. Just stop.

Mr. Grey

Smash Cadet
Heres a question,
After watching some replays of some recent matches I had, I feel I dont quite know when the ideal time to Fsmash with G&W is. So my question really is, when is it safe, and when is it a good idea to take out the matchstick.

Novabound

Smash Apprentice
I find myself fsmashing AND HITTING at low percents...a lot...down smash is more likely to hit and kill at higher percents. They're just not ready for the matchstick at low percents I guess.

Maybe the best time to do it is when you're spaced about 2 char widths away from the ledge and land a down throw. If they miss the tech, they're gonna be looking for the downsmash, so just throw it out, follow, and match stick. That's one setup? Idk. MINDGAMES (It's 4 am here -_-)

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
What characters can you NOT legitly downsmash out of a downthrow?

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
Heres a question,
After watching some replays of some recent matches I had, I feel I dont quite know when the ideal time to Fsmash with G&W is. So my question really is, when is it safe, and when is it a good idea to take out the matchstick.
I always fsmash they minute they slip up, And I try to avoid it when I know their just going to shield it. Best time to do it is when people have an up b like meta or someone were they fall after and use your up air to kinda push them up and when they hit the ground fsmash immediately. Just dont let it get stale and use it when it feels right.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
What characters can you NOT legitly downsmash out of a downthrow?
if people are smart almost everyone can get out of it. But the most floaty characters like jiggs and peach are better to down tilt or tech chase or something.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
if people are smart almost everyone can get out of it. But the most floaty characters like jiggs and peach are better to down tilt or tech chase or something.
he was asking which characters are vulnerable to downsmash, assuming that they don't techroll

for some characters,dsmash goes right through them

but to answer the question
i think we have a thread for that or it's in the guide somewhere;/
the only one im sure of that can't get hit at all,is ROB(i think)
tho others can't get hit by it at early percentages only
i'm not really sure which those are. As i said,try to find it D:

Heres a question,
Well the most obvious tips is to never directly go to your opponent and hope for an fsmash kill,it wont work lol.
Fsmash is all about baiting your opponent or taking advantage of an aggressive player.

It can also be used to keep your opponent back,like MK
using fsmash once or twice(when you're far away from eachother) will make him think twice about approaching aggresively.
Tho if you time it right,you can get them to dash into your fsmash,but that's pretty hard to pull off :p
or doing an fsmash right after a fake usmash is another way to take advantage of a aggressive player

most of this won't work on a good player tho,sadly lol=/

it's also a good edgeguard at times

Lightning Tiger

Smash Apprentice
Autocancel an aerial and fsmash.
Or set up tons of Bairs. Air dodge through one time and f smash
Hylians got a lot of strategies. Go look it up.

Top Bottom