• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

taevion0

Smash Cadet
y's anther so beast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEeNxMoyH7U&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SakZUgnaG5s

i play casually with the same 3-4 friends on ssbm, for some reason i recently switched to wanting to learn pikachu and after, i found these vids to help beat my friends. When i mean casual i mean so casual that the only thing i do that's not basic is dash-jump-throw. I guess it's cause i grew up on n64 pikachu and the game + pika has changed and i want to have fun using him again. First post.
All in all, i recently started playing smash again since n64 days, over... iono 5 yrs ago, thirst for knowledge has led me here, SmashBoards. Thats right i just started on ssbm.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
y's anther so beast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEeNxMoyH7U&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SakZUgnaG5s

i play casually with the same 3-4 friends on ssbm, for some reason i recently switched to wanting to learn pikachu and after, i found these vids to help beat my friends. When i mean casual i mean so casual that the only thing i do that's not basic is dash-jump-throw. I guess it's cause i grew up on n64 pikachu and the game + pika has changed and i want to have fun using him again. First post.
All in all, i recently started playing smash again since n64 days, over... iono 5 yrs ago, thirst for knowledge has led me here, SmashBoards. Thats right i just started on ssbm.
axe's pikachu is decent, too

if you run out of anther vids, you should check axe out

AXE 09

Smash Master
Apparently you fawkers get something like 15 frames of invincible when you ledge waveland.

I hate you and hope you all die.
Heck yeah! =D Don't hate lol

EDIT:

So I just watched a few vids of you, Soju. I like your Pikachu so far =D I'm not that great with advice but here goes nothing... Lol

I know I say this like all the time, but I seriously think you should try the running dtilt approach. It's worked miracles for me. Just try running dtilt -> running sh Nair.

Another good thing... I almost always dash at them, then dash back and shield (so my back is toward them). One of my main goals as Pikachu is to try to get my opponent to attack the back of my shield, so I can get a Uair oos, which is a great way to link a combo (especially on fast fallers, but still works on anyone in general). Try to think of ways to get them to attack the back of your shield. Running past them and shielding is good imo. Don't be afraid to use your shield.

OH, and I noticed that you don't really waveshield... I think that approaching with your shield, then waveshielding if they don't attack the back of your shield is very important. Pleeeeease try to get that down. I think that's something pretty major for Pikachu.

I'm sorry, I'm not that great with advice... If you have any specific questions, lemme know :)

soju

SD God
lol, im an uber laidback(aka lazy) smasher so doing stuff like that is going be difficult for me to change to haha, well im heading to a local tournament today so i guess ill test it all out XD and thank you axe <3

ANT?

Smash Rookie
If someone took the time to read this entire thread they would prob know everything about pikachu haha. But that could take years haha.

soju

SD God
naw there is still a lot of pikachu we havent explored yet i believe, i think there is more things we can extract from pikachu if we take the time more time experimenting especially the almighty quick attack :)

*Oh yeah, my fingers arent use to uairing straight out of shield, whats the best way to do this? Do i jump with the control stick then immediately pressing A? It sounds like the best option but its hard for me to SH with it. Any suggestions?

AXE 09

Smash Master
*Oh yeah, my fingers arent use to uairing straight out of shield, whats the best way to do this? Do i jump with the control stick then immediately pressing A? It sounds like the best option but its hard for me to SH with it. Any suggestions?
That's exactly how I do it. I pretty much never SH Uair out of shield, but I seem to do just fine doing a full jump.

soju

SD God
meh i prefer short hopping uairs because i believe it opens more opportunities but i think ill try it out that way

AXE 09

Smash Master
^Yeah I was thinking about that too... I feel that I would like SH Uair OOS better, but doing a FJ is just so much easier for me.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Wow. So I was just reading some random Smash 64 stuff, and apparently to go up twice with Pikachu's up-b is done exactly the same way in both 64 and Melee.

And this has been known in 64 for like ever now... wtf. Why didn't anybody that plays 64 try doing it in Melee?

ANT?

Smash Rookie
Iv been going up twice with up b. i though that was just something that people did haha. Im kinda new to melee my friends got me into it a few months ago and im progressing okay. my question is how you control the quick attack so well? like i always go up first no matter how fast i tilt to the side or down it seems. Is it just something that takes practice or is there a trick i should know? Because quick attack to the edge would be a good sub for wavedashing to it until i can get wave dashing down better. I started playing pika for 2 reasons 1. my friends never play him so i have an advantage because they don't know what to do against him and 2. he is so darn cute =D

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Quick attacking to the ledge is kind of tricky. I think it just takes a little practice.

Like work on it for 10 minutes a day or something. That's like how long it takes to cook a meal, so you can do it while you're boiling something or whatever lol. And you'll probably be amazing with it in no time.

ANT?

Smash Rookie
Ah yes the 'ol mac and cheese training method haha. I would but i don't have the game i have to be practicing while playing against my friends. I try to use the time after a kill to practice. Or just try to throw some of the tech in during a game and suffer the consequences if i mess up haha. Because all i have going for me right now is spacing, i space really really well but other than that i got nothing haha. Another question i had was is there any good time to use b over besides recovery? The only time it seems good is on FD with a slow opponent who has never seen the move before haha.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Jeff why is Pika so easy to play?

I haven't touched pika since 2005, played a few games with pika recently, and it was upsetting how easy to do all of the stuff you do lol.

Sure I don't have your amazing reads or your level of control, but I was able to emulate most of what you do just from memory, and using my own experience with spacies.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Pikachu is really hard to play in neutral against the fast characters (Fox, Falcon, Sheik). The whole getting the first hit thing is a lot of work.

soju

SD God
yep :B playing against high level falcos on yoshi's who know they can shine you to death very easily sucks very badly, muy horribley

Palpi

Smash Hero
Pikachu is impossibly difficult to play well, I have no idea wtf Ruby is talking about.

There's a ****ing reason why Axe is better than everyone else and it's because Pikachu has a deceptively high skill cap.
Ruby is ****ing stupid, so that is why you have no idea what he is talking about.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Nah dude. I wish, I am really prepared, and I got sooo much better but I forgot I had surgery today... (4 wisdom teeth and an extra tooth pulled) lol@surgery.

I won't be up for going to philly tomorrow. :(

I was planning on going for a long time too...

Top Bottom