• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask Me Anything Falco Or Brawl

Classic Yayo

Smash Cadet
When I first heard of Brawl and it's characters, I thought immediately that I would play Olimar, I like unusual characters and Olimar seemed right up my ally. But when video’s of game play started coming out I saw that Falco was the character for me, everything he did seemed to be amazing filled with combo potential.

Now I have a copy of Brawl and since I was never able to really contribute to the Melee discussions because everybody seemed to know more myself. I found that having a copy of Brawl was my way to contribute to the Smash and Falco community. So I’m opening this thread a lot of people have questions and I have provide some answers. Hopefully in the future I'll have enough experience to make my own falco guide.

If you post any Falco question I will promise to reply back to you in a timely fashion with the best knowledge. Because I can literally turn on Brawl and test out any question you have, I can also try to displace any Falco rumors. I will also answer game play questions of questions you have for other characters.

So ask away……………..

Edit*
I've been working a couple of nights to find the characters run speed, It's finally done, I did some of this with the help or RoyKid and NewFace thanks. express any opinions you have about my rankings if you wish.

The number relates to how fast they are in order, so some characters have the same number because they're even. Some characters from what I saw had the same speed. Some characters are also very very close but you can see one character slighty edge.

Fixed List*
1) Sonic
2) Captain Falcon
3) Fox
4) Zero Suit Samus
5) Shiek
6) Meta Knight
7) Charizard
8) Pikachu
9) Diddy Kong
10) Marth
11) Toon Link
12) Yoshi
13) DK
14) Pit
15) Game & Smash
16) Mario
16) Lucas
17) Ivysaur
18) Bowser
19) Robot
20) Falco
21) Samus
22) Lacario
22) Wolf
23) Ness
23) Pikman & Olimar
23) Ice Climbers
24) Squirtle
25) Luigi
26) Ike
26) Kirby
27) Peach
29) Wario
30) Snake
31) Link
32) Zelda
33) King DeDeDe
34) Ganondorf
35) Jiggly Puff

Classic Yayo

Smash Cadet
His side b is actually longer than his up B and is very good for recovery. His side B is longer then it is in Melee. While it doesn't spike anymore it does make any character who get hit by it go down.

And you can still cancel it, if you want to move a shorter distance.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
His side b is actually longer than his up B and is very good for recovery. His side B is longer then it is in Melee. While it doesn't spike anymore it does make any character who get hit by it go down.

And you can still cancel it, if you want to move a shorter distance.
If it sends them down then it is a spike because a spike is a move that sends at a directly downwards trajectory

Slaysya

Smash Cadet
Well, I have a few questions about him. Is his Dair as effective as in Melee? I heard somewhere you must hit a sweetspot, or I may be mistaken. Also his SHL, it needs to be delayed right since we can't FF? My last question, is his shine still pretty useful? Can it like be used after a throw to hit someone who techs away maybe?

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
His dair isn't as good as it was in Melee. I played with Falco a bit and only got it to spike once out of like 5 hits with it off stage. It also didn't spend the person down very fast, and the person recovered easily.

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
His dair isn't as good as it was in Melee. I played with Falco a bit and only got it to spike once out of like 5 hits with it off stage. It also didn't spend the person down very fast, and the person recovered easily.
Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute. Have you just told me that falco has basically LOST HIS DAIR??? That Dair was one of the best spikes in melee! IT ISN'T ANY GOOD? WHAT?

So weird shine + Bad spike = Sadness. You just made me very sad right now, kevin.

SAY IT AINT' SO, KEVIN!

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
Dunno for sure, I only tried to spam it profusely in one match. I know for certain it isn't as good as it was in Melee.

Doomgaze

Smash Apprentice
Kevin is exactly right. The spike is no longer as good as it used to be. It needs to be sweet spotted which in itself is a bit tricky atm, and it can also be recovered from.

To answer some other questions, the SHL is gone. Although it is possible to land one laser low enogh, it's TOO slow and doesn't chain to anything else.

The shine is nothing like it used to be. Falco kicks his shine a little in front of him, which if it hits a nearby character pushes him back a little. Pretty good for spacing sometimes but it's slow and defenitely punishable.

I've played falco quite a bit and one thing is clear: you have to revalue this character completely.

Slaysya

Smash Cadet
Oh man, this really stinks. So I guess I will need to really adjust to not spamming the Dair as much as I did in melee. Well, I guess he changed for the best, hopefully someone can tell me something good about his changes.

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
His laser's shots on the ground do seem faster than they were in Melee. Either that or an illusion given by the new design. Also his forward B is longer as well, so he's not that bad.

The shine is pretty useful for reflecting because its sent out, and for things like Samus' missiles, that extra range helps the missile survive the return distance.

Classic Yayo

Smash Cadet
Did the shine lose usefullness because it's thrown?
Is his downA on the ground the same as in melee? Cause that attack was beastly...
Does he still fall as fast (Compared to other characters)?
yes, as of right now his shine lost a lot of usefullness, it just pushes people on their ***, it pushes people back just a little but it doesn't push people up or out enough to combo. Yeah his down smash is the same as melee still a split kick. He doesn't fast fall nobody does in brawl, everybody is floaty.

Well, I have a few questions about him. Is his Dair as effective as in Melee? I heard somewhere you must hit a sweetspot, or I may be mistaken. Also his SHL, it needs to be delayed right since we can't FF? My last question, is his shine still pretty useful? Can it like be used after a throw to hit someone who techs away maybe?
Is his dair as effective, that's a hard question to answer because, I've used it quite effectively but it's as good as Melee, I've killed people with it though more than once. You can spike on it's opening frames but you can't once the move has been out for a while it pushes the character up instead of down.

His short hop lazer doesn't really work, you need to throw out three lazers for it to work effectively. You can fast fall, fast fall is in the game. No it's not very useful right now, but I can see it being more useful in the future.

So yeah short hop lazer is in the game because you can short hop you can move while you lazer in the air and you can fast fall. It just doesn't look the same as Melee. Think of Kirby when he steals Falco's powers and short hops lazers, it's somewhat like that.

Classic Yayo

Smash Cadet
^^ I didn't mean the down smash, I meant just the standard down A attack. Thanks for the other stuff too...it makes me very sad.
Oh sorry dude, yeah it's the same, his up tilt has changed though, instead of the cool up tilted kick, his does this laggy up swing with his arms and you pop up the character. it would be amazing if it wasn't so laggy.

I'm sad as well I've kinda given up on him being competitive, until I see someone **** with him. But i can still answer basic questions anybody needs. I did figure out some Speeds last night with the help of my two friends. I'm at work currently when i get home I'll post up the RUN SPEEDS so anybody who cares to see where Falco ranks in the speed department can check it out.

Plaz

Smash Rookie
...sorry, but how did you get the game?

On topic:

Is it particularly easy to combo in/out of Falco's throws?

suprneb

Smash Cadet
wait so the reflector is something you can use to throw at someone and damage them

but do they take damage from the 'shine'? (im not sure if anyone here knows what im talking about - im kinda talking about falco's shine in melee, where when you activate the reflector, it electrocutes the opponent)

and if he throws it and it comes back, then theoretically you cant hold it for as long as you want?

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
The reflector goes out and comes back in one animation, you can't hold it out. Also, once you throw it and it comes in contact, then it hits the person. If its gonna hit, its gonna hit. If its not going to hit, then it shouldn't.

NewFace

Smash Rookie
Thank you for making this thread, I've been trying to find somewhere to get my questions about Falco answered.

1. Is he as fast as he was in Brawl?

2. Is he better or worse and by how much?

Here are some videos of Falco doing pretty good(though you probably already saw them)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBaExxbk6Vc&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTgzqc9HUkw&feature=related
1. His running speed is about the same in Brawl as it was in melee.
2.He doesn't have any of his combos from melee; his short hop lazer isn't as effective; his reflector gets kicked in front of him and he can't move or turn while it is out. In all he is worse than his melee counterpart but still a decent character.

neji49

Smash Cadet
1. His running speed is about the same in Brawl as it was in melee.
2.He doesn't have any of his combos from melee; his short hop lazer isn't as effective; his reflector gets kicked in front of him and he can't move or turn while it is out. In all he is worse than his melee counterpart but still a decent character.
Okay that's good, so where would he be tier wise, just out curiosity? Low tier? Or is he higher up?

Classic Yayo

Smash Cadet
...sorry, but how did you get the game?

On topic:

Is it particularly easy to combo in/out of Falco's throws?
I bought it from a friend. I've had the game for about a week going on two. As soon as I got the game I played Falco and only Falco now I'm using some other characters. I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I can answer simple questions about the game Falco or any character people want to know.

No I wouldn't say it's hard to combo in or out of his throws, since DI is a HUGE part of the game people who know how to do it right, either go high or too far to be combo'd, especially at high damange. Low damage from what I'm doing right now he can combo the down and the up throw
The best throw from what I see is hit down throw since the other character doesn't pop up so much but even then, Falco doesn't have a hard time following his opponent at all so I see high potential there.

wait so the reflector is something you can use to throw at someone and damage them

but do they take damage from the 'shine'? (im not sure if anyone here knows what im talking about - im kinda talking about falco's shine in melee, where when you activate the reflector, it electrocutes the opponent)

and if he throws it and it comes back, then theoretically you cant hold it for as long as you want?
Yes you can throw it out, it's one whole animation it goes out and comes right back in. No you can't hold it out, if he could it might be a cool mind game but just thinking of the laggy frames of it coming back you'd be punished badly if it had that option.

Yes the shine has knock back, the person gets electrocuted, and about 6% damage no matter what part of the shine hits, the first couple times.

PLEASE READ THIS PART
But from playing around with it for some time I've noticed a few things. VERY INTERESTING things. The reflector has two parts, a few frames when it's glowing actually shining the person, and a few frames when it's down, not actively shining the person. An example is when foxes shine first comes out it has the push back and glows bright and then it dims. Well Falco's shine does this a number of times through the air. If you hit the character on an active shine, they have more push back and fall on their butt or back, however if you hit on an unactive shine, which is what I'm calling it. It's less push back and they don't fall. THATS HUGE!!

^^^^WOW Great question!

Thank you for making this thread, I've been trying to find somewhere to get my questions about Falco answered.

1. Is he as fast as he was in Brawl?

2. Is he better or worse and by how much?

Here are some videos of Falco doing pretty good(though you probably already saw them)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBaExxbk6Vc&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTgzqc9HUkw&feature=related
Okay that's good, so where would he be tier wise, just out curiosity? Low tier? Or is he higher up?
He's fast, I'm currently working on a run speed ranking right now I'll be up tonight. Move wise his moves do come out fast. His up smash and down smash are the same, he def. has foxes upsmash from melee it's powerful and kills, so does down smash. His side smash will take time to get used to. It's this strange hit, he brings his hands up and throws them forward. I hated it at first, because the range sucks but i got used to it, especially since is hits above him as well as side and it KO's. I've used hit neutral attacks and combo'd right into it for the KO.

All his airs come out fast, um it's way to early for me to say if he's worse or better. I can say he's different don't think you can pilar because you can't like you'll hit the down air and the shine when the person's not in the air and you are you'll get punished for it. He has a ton of potential!!

Tier wise, wow I dunno, I would say mid-tier right now. It's so hard to say, I play my friends all the time and done a lot of 1v1, but I don't know all the character match-ups yet. And I'm not bold enough to throw a tier llist completely out there. Every characters I've played or played against except or Shiek and Marth, who are honestly GODLY. I believe are mid level until I see something major on character match ups.

Doomgaze

Smash Apprentice
Tiers are based on tournament statistics. Since no tournaments have been played there is no such data yet to formulate a tier list.

Anyway, I think Falco is pretty average. He has lost his approach game, along with his shine and combo ability. But such is the reality for all characters in brawl. Previously good chars = down, previously bad chars = up.

But Falco still has some pretty strong moves. His lasers go through the whole stage unlike Fox and Wolf. I'd say he's got one of the best, if not the best, projectiles in the game.

Ja

Smash Journeyman
This isn't a falco question, but you said you would anwser anything so...can you DI parallel to the angle an attack launches you? You couldn't in SSBM, wondering if they changed this for SSBB. If this question isn't clear enough, it is explained in more detail here. I'd be very grateful if you would anwser this.

Doomgaze

Smash Apprentice
This isn't a falco question, but you said you would anwser anything so...can you DI parallel to the angle an attack launches you? You couldn't in SSBM, wondering if they changed this for SSBB. If this question isn't clear enough, it is explained in more detail here. I'd be very grateful if you would anwser this.
Not sure how scientific this is but I tried Captain Falcon vs Falco on FD.

Falco dies on an uncharged upsmash at exactly 92% without DI, every time.

If holding up before the attack, Falco instead dies on 89%, every time.

Which means the difference is VERY VERY small.

neji49

Smash Cadet
Okay the run speed ranking makes no sense how is it that Heavywiegts like Bowser and Charizard run faster than Falco? Was whoever said he was the same in speed wrong and he is slower?

Classic Yayo

Smash Cadet
Okay the run speed ranking makes no sense how is it that Heavywiegts like Bowser and Charizard run faster than Falco? Was whoever said he was the same in speed wrong and he is slower?
Sense has nothing to do with Smash Bros the developers honestly do whatever they want, and try to make the game balanced from the past game. Charizard, glides he doesn't run so he's faster. They made Bower faster, he doesn't everything faster remember smash dojo saying how much faster he would be, and that he would actually be a playable character. Well there you go. The list makes sense try it out for yourself.

neji49

Smash Cadet
Wow that is weird, but I'm getting is that Falco moves and attacks at the same speed, it's just that other characters have been speed up?

Top Bottom